Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic You know whats funny? (Read 5829 times)
Gornn
Horoluth Raider

Cracker Fiend

You know whats funny?
Feb 2nd, 2010 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Neither myself or Gawna have ever done the Tower of Despair.

When did it come out?

This is a throw down...a show down...

IP Logged

sir_chonas
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Re: You know whats funny?
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 9:38am
Print Post  
I've only done it once.  It's hard to get a group for and is a pain to finish because of a general lack of booted people wanting to do it.  All the nonbooted melees are gungho to jump in though.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 9:49am
Print Post  
thats coz people are sick and tired of non participating non booted melees

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 10:52am
Print Post  
sir_chonas wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 9:38am:
I've only done it once.  It's hard to get a group for and is a pain to finish because of a general lack of booted people wanting to do it.  All the nonbooted melees are gungho to jump in though.

I've never owned a pair of anchoring boots.  I've completed ToD about 15 times and have never been banished (my main was a barbarian).

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 11:36am
Print Post  
It came out with DDO:EU.

I got sick of farming for blood, so I don't have boots either.  If your will save is 28 or better on your melee, just go in and don't roll a 1.  The saves are pretty infrequent, every 1-2 min?

Four DPS toons can take him down in about 7 minutes or so.  That's a guess on time, but it shouldn't be that far off.

I've been banished once.  It sucked, but I got over it.

IP Logged

Emili
Shroud Slacker

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 12:00pm
Print Post  

My Emili has boots, I love this raid.

Shall I go thru channels and run with Prophets (Norg, Sal, Dimmz and such will be a good run) as there are many other people with boots, that's a sure win.

If I just pick some random pug up... well then first depends on the Kiter and then really - I've sometimes been the only one with boots here and shes 550hp pre-buff human Kensai - yes we rage her up into the 600's but still - sometimes just a bearish for some clerics to keep her up - thus becomes a race of me against Horoths HP and the clerics mana and healing ability... She outputs a heck of a lot of dps but with badges and his melee hitting her is not a pretty sight... Feels like forever when am alone on normal, when am among others is more like 3-7 minutes on hard or even elite...

Aranticus wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 9:49am:
thats coz people are sick and tired of non participating non booted melees

Well you always have those dealing with sulu and the casters fts the orthons... the other melee are there in support of them... and really may take the chance on the tail ... but as for participation, was the combined effort of the group - those other melee - got us this far.
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2010 at 12:12pm by Emili »  

|IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 | IMaj7 vim7 | iim7 V13 |III7+  VI9 | iim9  V13 |IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 |IMaj7 vim7 |iim7 V13 |I6  ivm7  bVII9 |I69   |

Bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'etre aimé et quand s'en va, l'espoir fuit.

IP Logged

sir_chonas
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 12:35pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 10:52am:
I've never owned a pair of anchoring boots.  I've completed ToD about 15 times and have never been banished (my main was a barbarian).

Yeah what I don't understand is that other melees don't realize they can jump in and help out after the purple ring of fail hits the ground.  When I was in the one run I jumped in and was the only one aside from the 2 booters that was attacking.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
sir_chonas wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 12:35pm:
Yeah what I don't understand is that other melees don't realize they can jump in and help out after the purple ring of fail hits the ground.  When I was in the one run I jumped in and was the only one aside from the 2 booters that was attacking.

That purple ring is a spell and gets cast multiple times during the fight.  If you have a 28 or higher will save you can melee him 95% of the time, purple ring or not.  If you have less than a 28 will save you should be using a ranged weapon (after a 20 second pause so as not to accidentally grab aggro).  There is no excuse for melee characters to not be assisting during this fight.

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Emili wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 12:00pm:

<snip> ... well then first depends on the Kiter <snip>

Definitely having a good kiter is key.  Normally we make a ranger do it, since we don't have many arcanes in the guild.  But sometimes it gets interesting.  Last night we ran it with this group:

20 cleric
20 cleric
20 bard
20 barbarian
20 barbarian
17 barbarian / 2 fighter
20 fighter
20 paladin
20 paladin
18 paladin
16 rogue / 2 fighter / 2 monk
11 rogue / 5 paladin / 2 monk

Who kites?  This time we made one of the barbarians do it with a shock of pure good returner.  We were getting a good laugh about it, but he got it done.

Ink

IP Logged

Jackknife of Sarlona
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
I've run ToD with my main about 30 times now, and only got my first blood last week. The purple flash is Horath's banish spell going off, and the other melees can run in and attack for about a minute afterwards without worry. They are increasing the drop rate for ingredients tomorrow, so it should be much easier then.

IP Logged

sir_chonas
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
I knew that it was a spell, and there's a timer.

I just call it the purple ring of fail because if he's near the unboots and casts it, fails are more likely Smiley.

Will save of 28 you say.  I assume a 1 is still a fail though correct?

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
sir_chonas wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 12:35pm:

it's got nothing to do with whether they know or not but rather they do not want to go in as they are afraid of getting banished and missing out on loot. True 1 can be a suulo kiter or orthon killer or range horoth. However, recent trend I see is people being contented just standing there doing nothing. That is pathetic

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #12 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 5:41pm:
it's got nothing to do with whether they know or not but rather they do not want to go in as they are afraid of getting banished and missing out on loot. True 1 can be a suulo kiter or orthon killer or range horoth. However, recent trend I see is people being contented just standing there doing nothing. That is pathetic

Seriously, they need to implement polearms so we can pike properly.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Antir
Shroud Slacker

Hi Welcome

Reply #13 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
The whole boot thing is one of the last nails in the coffin which contains my desire to play DDO.

"I'll provide the perspective"

IP Logged

sir_chonas
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 5:41pm:

That's what most of the guys in our group were doing.  They'd hop around on the portal spawns to protect the 2 booters, but I mean you REALLY don't need 6 people doing that.

@ antir, they're increasing the drop rate for boot ingredients after tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2010 at 6:06pm by sir_chonas »  

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
sir_chonas wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 6:06pm:
That's what most of the guys in our group were doing.  They'd hop around on the portal spawns to protect the 2 booters, but I mean you REALLY don't need 6 people doing that.

@ antir, they're increasing the drop rate for boot ingredients after tomorrow.

look closely do you really have 6 doing stuff? in most run i'm in that is a pug, there will always be 1 or 2 who look try to look busy but never really trying to do anything

IP Logged

Emili
Shroud Slacker

Reply #16 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
sir_chonas wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 5:10pm:
I knew that it was a spell, and there's a timer.

I just call it the purple ring of fail because if he's near the unboots and casts it, fails are more likely Smiley.

Will save of 28 you say.  I assume a 1 is still a fail though correct?

Yes, one time had a pally on his tail ... the only other melee thoughtful enough to help little ole me at the time ... ONE strike and he was gone - the pally that is. Wink
Aranticus wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 8:07pm:
look closely do you really have 6 doing stuff? in most run i'm in that is a pug, there will always be 1 or 2 who look try to look busy but never really trying to do anything

Oh I had one run was me tanking... another melee on her tail and ... two orthons on my back ... at least 3 or 4 other melee in group I believe a ranger was on sulu ... ask the other melee or an arcane for some help? Took them least three or four good combat sequences to draw those orthons off me when they finally were paying attention.

The most annoying thing about this quest is you get a group of vets - runs like clockwork... but in a pug it may be so out of whack will make you ill to your stomach.

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2010 at 8:28pm by Emili »  

|IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 | IMaj7 vim7 | iim7 V13 |III7+  VI9 | iim9  V13 |IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 |IMaj7 vim7 |iim7 V13 |I6  ivm7  bVII9 |I69   |

Bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'etre aimé et quand s'en va, l'espoir fuit.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #17 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Emili wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 8:18pm:
Yes, one time had a pally on his tail ... the only other melee thoughtful enough to help little ole me at the time ... ONE strike and he was gone - the pally that is. Wink

Oh I had one run was me tanking... another melee on her tail and ... two orthons on my back ... at least 3 or 4 other melee in group I believe a ranger was on sulu ... ask the other melee or an arcane for some help? Took them least three or four good combat sequences to draw those orthons off me when they finally were paying attention.

The most annoying thing about this quest is you get a group of vets - runs like clockwork... but in a pug it may be so out of whack will make you ill to your stomach.

For me I think the most annoying thing about this quest is failing on part 2 due to no fault of the players.

Quests where you win or lose based on more or less a coinflip suck.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 8:40pm:
For me I think the most annoying thing about this quest is failing on part 2 due to no fault of the players.

It's not really a coinflip.  We've discovered that the "coin flip" you speak of happens at 3 minutes without fail.  It's really more of a poorly coded DPS race.  This is just one more reason for my "DPS and healing are the only things in the game that matter" line that got me flamed so much on the boards (even though I was 100% correct).

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Emili wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 8:18pm:

precisely, many are contented to just sit there. how part 1 goes can give an indication of part 3. no curse pots, people running after dogs instead o judge or jailor usually means a fucked up group in part 3

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 8:40pm:

i have to agree with demoyn here. i've done kiting a few times an i'm getting better. the last few runs i did i even stayed out of harm's way and this is on a drow caster using only csw pots (have a 45% cold absorp to help). however, i noticed that if i run with a bard, i'm almost not going to even get hit but if there is no bard or the dps is weak, i'm very likely to die with nythrios at 5% remaining. usually stuff gets bad when i have to do my 4th or 5th round of running

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #21 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 9:19pm:
i have to agree with demoyn here. i've done kiting a few times an i'm getting better. the last few runs i did i even stayed out of harm's way and this is on a drow caster using only csw pots (have a 45% cold absorp to help). however, i noticed that if i run with a bard, i'm almost not going to even get hit but if there is no bard or the dps is weak, i'm very likely to die with nythrios at 5% remaining. usually stuff gets bad when i have to do my 4th or 5th round of running

The idea of increasing enemy spawns as time passes is a pretty commonly used tactic in MMOs, but really, you should have the option of getting an extra kiter or something if the DPS is a bit low.

As it is, it's spam attack, healers spam heals and hope by the time the lag goes away the bad guy is dead, which is silly design.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Feb 2nd, 2010 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Feb 2nd, 2010 at 9:38pm:
The idea of increasing enemy spawns as time passes is a pretty commonly used tactic in MMOs, but really, you should have the option of getting an extra kiter or something if the DPS is a bit low.

As it is, it's spam attack, healers spam heals and hope by the time the lag goes away the bad guy is dead, which is silly design.

there is a flaw with this logic thou. most enemy spawns can be killed sufficiently fast to ensure they do not create a problem, ie wiz king skele spawns. yes we usually run with a back up these days but again it can still be hard for most groups to recover once they lose the 1st kiter

IP Logged

keyfaker banned by Strake
Waterworks Kobold

yawn

Reply #23 - Feb 3rd, 2016 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Apparently only Strake via P4P can spam  Angry

IP Logged

keyfaker banned by Strake
Waterworks Kobold

yawn