Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I figured I better ask this here. (Read 7108 times)
Disavowed
The Beerman

I figured I better ask this here.
Feb 7th, 2010 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
I put this up on the forums but I don't trust I'll get the correct answer.  I know tempest 1 increases your attack speed.  Does tempest 2 or 3 do this as well if so what %.  I only see that it increases ac and reduces to hit penalty.

Does tempest 2 or 3 get any increases to attack speed or number of attacks.  If there is an extra attack is it just part of the ranger chain or is it specific to tempest 3?

Thanks all

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Re: I figured I better ask this here.
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Tempest 3 grants another attack (essentially a superior TWF feat).  It is not part of the standard ranger chain.

IP Logged

Disavowed
The Beerman

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 8:00pm
Print Post  
TY Demoyn

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Any time.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
It's only slightly frontloaded.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Feb 7th, 2010 at 9:14pm:
It's only slightly frontloaded.

i presume the main reason they did it was due to the "nerfing" of the tempest ac bonus plus the fact that the capstone gives little, if not no, help to tempest rangers

IP Logged

Disavowed
The Beerman

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Feb 7th, 2010 at 9:34pm:
i presume the main reason they did it was due to the "nerfing" of the tempest ac bonus plus the fact that the capstone gives little, if not no, help to tempest rangers

So why go more than 11 or 12 ranger if you're str based?  why not go fighter the rest of the way.  Level 11 or 12 seems to be the most bang for your buck and the returns start to diminish after level 11 or 12.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2010 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
actually, thats a wrong way to look at it. for most PrCs, they are more or less backloaded. ie assasin, tier 1 not much, tier 2 assassinate, tier 3 vorpal, ie kensai, tier 1 not much, tier 2 +8 str, tier 3 +1 crit range. in effect, most PrCs get more powerful when you MC less. for tempest, its very skewed, tier 1 give +10% melee alacrity +2 AC, tier 2 increases ac bonus to +3, tier 3 increases ac to +4 and gives and extra attack to the sequence. going by the dps view of ddo, this  makes tier 1 and 3 much more valuable than tier 2

so how does this work, going tier 1 tempest allows you to load in tier 2 of another PrC. and thus you get 2 very powerful PrC abilities. if you got teir 3, it allows you to MC 2 levels of another class w/o suffering many penalties, ie 18 ftr -> 20 = loss of 10% melee alacrity capstone, 18 pal -> 20 = loss of weapons of good. 18 rgr -> 20 is the loss of 25% ranged alacrity. given how gimped range is, the inherent benefit is less compared to, ie +1 str, haste boost, 2 feats for 2 ftr, awesome saves, auras from 2 pal, trap skills, umd, haste boost from 2 rog, unarmored wis ac, 2 feats from 2 mnk

the only reason why anyone would got 11/12 rgr is possibly for evasion (which 12/6/2 builds get by taking 2 rog or 2 mnk), strong spells. if you are going 11/12 rgr, then might as well go 18 for more FE bonuses and the extra attack (that 1 attack is actually quite substantial in terms of %)

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #8 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 12:21am
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Feb 7th, 2010 at 11:49pm:
actually, thats a wrong way to look at it. for most PrCs, they are more or less backloaded. ie assasin, tier 1 not much, tier 2 assassinate, tier 3 vorpal, ie kensai, tier 1 not much, tier 2 +8 str, tier 3 +1 crit range. in effect, most PrCs get more powerful when you MC less. for tempest, its very skewed, tier 1 give +10% melee alacrity +2 AC, tier 2 increases ac bonus to +3, tier 3 increases ac to +4 and gives and extra attack to the sequence. going by the dps view of ddo, this  makes tier 1 and 3 much more valuable than tier 2

so how does this work, going tier 1 tempest allows you to load in tier 2 of another PrC. and thus you get 2 very powerful PrC abilities. if you got teir 3, it allows you to MC 2 levels of another class w/o suffering many penalties, ie 18 ftr -> 20 = loss of 10% melee alacrity capstone, 18 pal -> 20 = loss of weapons of good. 18 rgr -> 20 is the loss of 25% ranged alacrity. given how gimped range is, the inherent benefit is less compared to, ie +1 str, haste boost, 2 feats for 2 ftr, awesome saves, auras from 2 pal, trap skills, umd, haste boost from 2 rog, unarmored wis ac, 2 feats from 2 mnk

the only reason why anyone would got 11/12 rgr is possibly for evasion (which 12/6/2 builds get by taking 2 rog or 2 mnk), strong spells. if you are going 11/12 rgr, then might as well go 18 for more FE bonuses and the extra attack (that 1 attack is actually quite substantial in terms of %)

My rogue went 13 rogue (because I made him on headstart and never planned anything) then 6 ranger (ranger at 14 for wand usage, 15 to get 2wf and continued cause it seemed like a good idea) and 1 barbarian (because I like to run fast, +10% barb speed +10% Acrobat II speed plus ranger sprint boost Cheesy)

If I had actually planned him he would probably have been almost completely Rogue (for assassin 3 as you mentioned) but he is a hell of a lot of fun to play.

Also, I'm pretty sure Tempest I is how it is because of the sheer number of 6 ranger/whatever that are around now.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:09am
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 12:21am:
If I had actually planned him he would probably have been almost completely Rogue (for assassin 3 as you mentioned) but he is a hell of a lot of fun to play.

That's actually kind of funny that your current levels (the unplanned ones) make for the best current DPS combination in the game.  On the other hand, if you'd have planned him you'd have made him much less powerful in normal quests and borderline gimp in raids?   Sad

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:09am:
That's actually kind of funny that your current levels (the unplanned ones) make for the best current DPS combination in the game.  On the other hand, if you'd have planned him you'd have made him much less powerful in normal quests and borderline gimp in raids?   Sad

thats the problem. many builds can be made obsolute by a single change to the game. just imagine if they were to "nerf" monk wis ac to monk weapons only in update 4. bye bye exploiter, bye bye monster

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2010 at 3:40am
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:09am:

Don't get me wrong, he's a blast to play now and I have thought about reincarnating him, but honestly there isn't really anything I would change (on his current setup) that would warrant the xp grind on him (except I might have taken a monk level instead of barbarian, how dare I make a character Neutral Good) Though the order of levels taken is certainly odd.

As a side note, he could do with a GR, want those 4 build points.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2010 at 3:41am by Auran »  

IP Logged

Seneca Windforge
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 2:26am
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Feb 8th, 2010 at 1:26am:
thats the problem. many builds can be made obsolute by a single change to the game. just imagine if they were to "nerf" monk wis ac to monk weapons only in update 4. bye bye exploiter, bye bye monster

Wouldn't that only be some monsters?  Pretty sure that Rog2 or Mnk2 was pretty much just personal preference on the monster build, but I could be wrong.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 4:50am
Print Post  
Seneca Windforge wrote on Feb 10th, 2010 at 2:26am:
Wouldn't that only be some monsters?  Pretty sure that Rog2 or Mnk2 was pretty much just personal preference on the monster build, but I could be wrong.

the monster build is made for dps via tempest, kensai power surge and fighter haste boost. however, it is also made with a serviceable ac in mind with the help of monk wis ac. if the build dumped wis, with 6 base, +6 item and +2 tome, it can give 14 wis for a +2 mod and with monk centered bonus, net +3 ac. if the player chooses to spend 6 build points for 12 base, one can easily get 20 wis for +6 ac total. if you throw in +4 wis tome, +2 exceptional item, that is a +8 to ac. 8 on the d20 is very significant

IP Logged

Seneca Windforge
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 10:55am
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Feb 10th, 2010 at 4:50am:
the monster build is made for dps via tempest, kensai power surge and fighter haste boost. however, it is also made with a serviceable ac in mind with the help of monk wis ac. if the build dumped wis, with 6 base, +6 item and +2 tome, it can give 14 wis for a +2 mod and with monk centered bonus, net +3 ac. if the player chooses to spend 6 build points for 12 base, one can easily get 20 wis for +6 ac total. if you throw in +4 wis tome, +2 exceptional item, that is a +8 to ac. 8 on the d20 is very significant

Of course, it's definitely a good option.  But I'm pretty sure that in the original thread it was a tossup between that and Rog2 (UMD, potentially trap skills if you could swing the skill points).

I went with Rog2 (I'm an average joe, not likely to see +4 or even +3 tomes anytime soon).  I think that I might pick monk if I did it over again, but only because I've got the healing dragonmarks on that particular character and the bonus feats would be handy.

IP Logged

Quikster
Titan Demolisher

n00balicious

Reply #15 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Feb 10th, 2010 at 4:50am:

Even if that nerf happened, monk would still be a very powerful splash. Once all the whining settled down I still think you would see a lot of monk splashes.

~The Quikmeister~

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Quikster wrote on Feb 10th, 2010 at 11:43am:
Even if that nerf happened, monk would still be a very powerful splash. Once all the whining settled down I still think you would see a lot of monk splashes.

I had a lengthy post written out explaining why you're wrong, but the internet ate it.  This time I'll just be concise and leave you to figure out why you're wrong.  The only monk combination that would still be created if the monk AC bonus was changed is the 18 cleric / 2 monk.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #17 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Feb 10th, 2010 at 3:18pm:
I had a lengthy post written out explaining why you're wrong, but the internet ate it.  This time I'll just be concise and leave you to figure out why you're wrong.  The only monk combination that would still be created if the monk AC bonus was changed is the 18 cleric / 2 monk.

I wouldn't be so sure... 2 levels still get you evasion and two feats.  That's like combining the best parts of two fighter levels and two rogue levels.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Feb 10th, 2010 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Feb 10th, 2010 at 10:05pm:
I wouldn't be so sure... 2 levels still get you evasion and two feats.  That's like combining the best parts of two fighter levels and two rogue levels.

if the build already has evasion, ie exploiter 18/1/1, the monk can be easily substituted with fighter or even barb. the loss is 1 feat

if the build is not dependant on 2 monk for evasion, and is not feat starved, most will LR to 2 rog for evasion but more importantly, the gain in trap skills (or just OL) and umd gives it more versatility. in addition the 15% haste boost is going to help with dps, ie 18pal/2mnk

the only main reason people will go for 2 mnk is when you need feats and want evasion. this of course is moot unless they decide to nerf monk ac bonuses

IP Logged

Quikster
Titan Demolisher

n00balicious

Reply #19 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Obviously I disagree.  Im not saying that monk splashes would be as common, but the splash itself is still very powerful.

Personally at this point I could give a rats ass about most rogue skills. UMD being the major exception. Many people splashed 2 fighter in the past on non evasion builds for the feats, I think evasion with two feats and + to saves is still a good choice.

Obviously it depends on the build.

~The Quikmeister~

IP Logged

Aussie
Dragon Raider

Bite me!

Reply #20 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Nobody is asking you Quick ,go home  Tongue

IP Logged

Emili
Shroud Slacker

Reply #21 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Disavowed wrote on Feb 7th, 2010 at 11:14pm:
So why go more than 11 or 12 ranger if you're str based?  why not go fighter the rest of the way.  Level 11 or 12 seems to be the most bang for your buck and the returns start to diminish after level 11 or 12.

You relly need to work the main class  backwards from 20 to 12 to make a good decision...

i.e. ranger lose 1 favored (+2 more damage vs favored list) at 20 and capstone, lose tempest III at 18 plus spell slots... I think the enhancement ranger favored damage II is at 13 or maybe 14? ... 4th level spells at 16, spell level durations cap at 15 another favored enemy (+2 more damage vs favored list)... you need to look at all the upper tier enhancements, abilities (spells including slots) reflex save over those early fighter levels etc...

I am at work so cannot put together a comprehensive list ... but you really have to scrutinize each level gain per each level loss and find the level break difference.

i.e. 8 level fighter has most likely pick weapon specialization along with 4 other feats for +2 damage and 2 str point enhancements, haste boost enhancements increase, kensai I ... is 16hp heavier then a 6 levels of ranger has two toughness enhancement I believe at this point?

To really weight how deep to multiclass is best to write them all down side by side, one in reverse order... even then you really have to count the spending of aps as they exhaust.

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2010 at 3:59pm by Emili »  

|IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 | IMaj7 vim7 | iim7 V13 |III7+  VI9 | iim9  V13 |IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 |IMaj7 vim7 |iim7 V13 |I6  ivm7  bVII9 |I69   |

Bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'etre aimé et quand s'en va, l'espoir fuit.

IP Logged

Emili
Shroud Slacker

Reply #22 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Aussie wrote on Feb 11th, 2010 at 2:10pm:
Nobody is asking you Quick ,go home  Tongue

He missed the - they run fast aspect too.

|IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 | IMaj7 vim7 | iim7 V13 |III7+  VI9 | iim9  V13 |IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 |IMaj7 vim7 |iim7 V13 |I6  ivm7  bVII9 |I69   |

Bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'etre aimé et quand s'en va, l'espoir fuit.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
Quikster wrote on Feb 11th, 2010 at 10:51am:
Obviously I disagree.  Im not saying that monk splashes would be as common, but the splash itself is still very powerful.

Personally at this point I could give a rats ass about most rogue skills. UMD being the major exception. Many people splashed 2 fighter in the past on non evasion builds for the feats, I think evasion with two feats and + to saves is still a good choice.

Obviously it depends on the build.

as you said it, in the past. The extra feat, capstones changes some things

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #24 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Feb 10th, 2010 at 10:17pm:
the only main reason people will go for 2 mnk is when you need feats and want evasion. this of course is moot unless they decide to nerf monk ac bonuses

Yep, pretty much my point exactly.  That's a lot different than saying "only 18/2 cleric/monks", wouldn't you say?

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint