Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I figured I better ask this here. (Read 7115 times)
Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Re: I figured I better ask this here.
Reply #25 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 10:50pm
Print Post  
Now that I'm back to better internet I'll elaborate a bit more (though still not as much as last time).

First, barbarians and bards can't be monks.  Knowing this, I won't go over the reasons they wouldn't be good to splash monk with anyway.

Melee classes wouldn't splash monk at all.  Paladin and fighter need to stay pure classed because their capstones are just too good to pass up.  Rangers already get evasion, so they would rather have the base attack bonus (along with the same amount of feats) by going fighter.  Obviously monks can't splash monk.

This just leaves clerics, favored souls, wizards, and sorcerers.  Sorcerers lose too much power by splashing ANY class, really (though some are almost worth the tradeoff, monk most certainly is not).  Wizards splash for evasion, but rogue is a much better splash because of both the duplication of intelligence score and the fact that wizards already get bonus feats (and thus are not feat starved).

All that's left are clerics and favored souls.  Anything else that employs a standard two level monk class is gimping themselves in some way because other options are better if the AC bonus is no longer a consideration.  Plus three to saving throws is just not worth losing two BAB over.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #26 - Feb 11th, 2010 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Feb 11th, 2010 at 10:50pm:
Now that I'm back to better internet I'll elaborate a bit more (though still not as much as last time).

First, barbarians and bards can't be monks.  Knowing this, I won't go over the reasons they wouldn't be good to splash monk with anyway.

Melee classes wouldn't splash monk at all.  Paladin and fighter need to stay pure classed because their capstones are just too good to pass up.  Rangers already get evasion, so they would rather have the base attack bonus (along with the same amount of feats) by going fighter.  Obviously monks can't splash monk.

This just leaves clerics, favored souls, wizards, and sorcerers.  Sorcerers lose too much power by splashing ANY class, really (though some are almost worth the tradeoff, monk most certainly is not).  Wizards splash for evasion, but rogue is a much better splash because of both the duplication of intelligence score and the fact that wizards already get bonus feats (and thus are not feat starved).

All that's left are clerics and favored souls.  Anything else that employs a standard two level monk class is gimping themselves in some way because other options are better if the AC bonus is no longer a consideration.  Plus three to saving throws is just not worth losing two BAB over.

Nope....you missed Rogues. Rogues splash Monk for 2 Levels or possibly 7 levels. These are the Thief Acrobat guys who like to use the Monk Air Stance to swing a Staff at ridiculous speeds (among other things).

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #27 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 2:01am
Print Post  
As well as 12ftr/6rgr/2mnk or 12pal/6rgr/2mnk.

It's a tradeoff between 12 points of UMD and 2 feats.  The BaB loss is the same for rogue as it is for monk.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 2:16am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Feb 12th, 2010 at 2:01am:

It's a tradeoff between 12 points of UMD and 2 feats.  The BaB loss is the same for rogue as it is for monk.

Why would a 12 fighter need more feats?  Why would a 12 paladin even be invited into a group?  Neither of these are win.  Rogues bring more to the table than just UMD.  They also bring sneak attack, intimidate, trapfinding, and/or better enhancements.

I did miss the rogue in my list, but rogues other than thief acrobats would be the same as rangers.  It's worth noting that thief acrobats only take one level of monk.  Whether by something mentioned earlier in this thread or my insanity I was referring specifically to 2 levels of monk splash.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2010 at 2:20am by Demoyn »  

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #29 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 2:17am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Feb 12th, 2010 at 2:01am:

12/6/2 dun really need feats unless the 12 is pal and not ftr

IP Logged

@i@
Dirty Sock

Evading a ban XD

Reply #30 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
p

Quote:
No dumbass, they're mediocre. Most of the people have about 6 int in real life and chew rather than playing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint