Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Which on has more portal DPS? (Read 4825 times)
Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Which on has more portal DPS?
Feb 28th, 2010 at 11:08pm
Print Post  
+++ greensteel maul (holy, good burst, good blast)

or

+1 holy burst greatsword of greater construct bane

which should my barb use?

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Re: Which on has more portal DPS?
Reply #1 - Feb 28th, 2010 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
To my noobish eyes i would go for the gcb wep. I dont know what the damage enchenments on the  gs item thanslate to yet.

Not to derail the thread any but my WC bard is THF and uses a falc because everyone said the crit range was better and more damage overall. So how come I dont see too many GS falch and alot GS greatswords and greataxes. I am just now gettting a couple of toons up to shrould lvl to start farming for ingredients and was just curious.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #2 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 12:11am
Print Post  
woody wrote on Feb 28th, 2010 at 11:19pm:
To my noobish eyes i would go for the gcb wep. I dont know what the damage enchenments on the  gs item thanslate to yet.

Not to derail the thread any but my WC bard is THF and uses a falc because everyone said the crit range was better and more damage overall. So how come I dont see too many GS falch and alot GS greatswords and greataxes. I am just now gettting a couple of toons up to shrould lvl to start farming for ingredients and was just curious.

Axes because Dwarves have the damage enhancements, GS probably from when it was your only option in GS and also the SoS

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #3 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 12:26am
Print Post  
Auran wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 12:11am:
Axes because Dwarves have the damage enhancements, GS probably from when it was your only option in GS and also the SoS

So right now there is no option for a GS Falchion? Just great sword and greataxe?

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #4 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 1:19am
Print Post  
woody wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 12:26am:
So right now there is no option for a GS Falchion? Just great sword and greataxe?

You can make a falchion.  What he was saying is that back in the day, you couldn't.  When greensteel first came out, none of the good weapons were available - greataxe, rapier, etc.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 1:57am
Print Post  
woody wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 12:26am:

you can make a falchion. since the attack speed was normalised, some players have switched to falchions. many will still rely on greataxes and swords as it takes a pretty large investment of larges, esp scales. i'm not sure how good it is but the latest calculations suggest that falchion has the edge in dps under normal circumstances. however, the disadvantage is this dps is largely crit based which means a GS or GA will be much stronger against 100% fort mobs

as to my "pedicament", i'm a wf barb

maul = 2d8 (9 base) + 5 + 2d6 (7 holy) + 1d6 (3.5 good) for 18 attacks of 24.5 and,
1 attack of 19.5 + 4d6 (14 good blast) + 4d6 (14 good blast crit) + 4d6 (14 good burst crit) = 66.5

this is assuming a x3 crit. if you account frenzy and the scaling of burst, its 24.5 + (2x7d6) + 4d6 = 87.5
so total damage in 20 attacks = 528.5 (assumption that good burst and good blast and crits stacks)
if i were to swop over to imp crit blunt, its 1 more attack of 24.5 + (2x)7d6 = 73.5. total = 577.5

GS = 2d6 (7 base) + 1 + 4 (greater bane) + 2d6 (7 holy) + 3d6 (10.5 greater bane) = 29.5 (15 attacks)
4 attacks of 29.5 + 6d6 (21 burst) = 50.5
total = 644.5 (assuming burst scales with frenzy, +4 from gtr bane counts), if +4 doesnt count, its 568.5)

pls point out the errors in my math

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 11:57am
Print Post  
woody wrote on Feb 28th, 2010 at 11:19pm:
So how come I dont see too many GS falch and alot GS greatswords and greataxes. I am just now gettting a couple of toons up to shrould lvl to start farming for ingredients and was just curious.

Even though it's already been answered three times, each of those responses required knowledge of past updates, so I'll simplify it just in case you aren't up on your history.

Up until the game went free to play falchions (and mauls) were a bad choice because of the code involving attack animations.  Falchions had a slower swing speed for some reason, causing you to lose attacks compared to greatswords and greataxes.  Since tier 3 greensteel weapons are often expensive to make many people who already had weapons crafted have decided that the slight damage increase isn't worth crafting a new weapon.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 11:57am:
Up until the game went free to play falchions (and mauls) were a bad choice because of the code involving attack animations.  Falchions had a slower swing speed for some reason

To give the reason for this, way back when, some developer (well, one of the guys responsible for the animations) decided that when they made the animations for falchions and mauls swing at the same rate as Great Swords and Great Axes, they didn't like how it looked. So they made them slower, pretty much gimping 2 weapons for 3 and a half years because of a personal preference.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Wait...Mauls and Great Axes have ALWAYS swung at the same rate...they were faster than Falchions and Greatswords.

Recently, the Devs sped up the Greatsword's and the Falchion's animations to the same as Mauls and Greataxes.
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2010 at 10:26pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
Hmm... that may be true, but I never saw anyone using mauls and I constantly saw people using greatswords (myself included).  As such I thought it was the other way around.

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Mar 1st, 2010 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 10:27pm:
Hmm... that may be true, but I never saw anyone using mauls and I constantly saw people using greatswords (myself included).  As such I thought it was the other way around.

many people went for GS for the higher base damage for portal beating and lose some dps but save large scales by using the same weapon for harry. the people with larges to spare or have a portal weapon ie blacksteel made mauls

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #11 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 1:19am
Print Post  
Aranticus wrote on Mar 1st, 2010 at 11:58pm:
many people went for GS for the higher base damage for portal beating and lose some dps but save large scales by using the same weapon for harry. the people with larges to spare or have a portal weapon ie blacksteel made mauls

I generally hit portals on my fighter with his Mineral IIs cause I can't be bothered carrying extra weapons for them, so sue me Tongue

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #12 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Portals don't hit back.  Why worry?

IP Logged

Aranticus
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2010 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
its more of a confirmation of how burst work, how burst work with frenzy and how the greater bane enhancement bonus work

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #14 - Oct 23rd, 2015 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
plz kill yourself, kfanx.

IP Logged

yardarm
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Oct 23rd, 2015 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
[] wrote on Oct 23rd, 2015 at 12:07pm:
[] wrote on Oct 22nd, 2015 at 5:26pm:
i'm dead serious about quitting; done.

IP Logged

no.
DQ Assaulter

Just no.

Reply #16 - Oct 23rd, 2015 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
I really hope your goal is to flood the vault with this crap so you will eventually post something good. Sadly, I think you're just mentally handicapped.

IP Logged

[]
Madame President

Reply #17 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 11:18am
Print Post  
portal DPS?!  srsly?  nigger harder, troll!

IP Logged

yardarm
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Oct 24th, 2015 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
[] wrote on Oct 24th, 2015 at 11:18am:
[] wrote on Oct 23rd, 2015 at 5:28pm:
heard it here first!  best player ever just quit the game (me),

[] wrote on Oct 23rd, 2015 at 2:14pm:
[quote author=193B3C351C3B351C3D35520 link=1445450244/75#75 date=1445549179]i'm dead serious about quitting; done.

[] wrote on Oct 23rd, 2015 at 2:13pm:
I said I was quitting the game, and I did;

??

[] wrote on Oct 23rd, 2015 at 11:02am:
I just logged on after a good 5 days off

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint