Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Q's about Guild Level Impact (Read 7484 times)
Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Q's about Guild Level Impact
Jul 2nd, 2010 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Since I can't post in the DDO forums, I'll ask it here:

Has anyone seen or heard of the guild level system impacting any guilds?

TD is mostly gone, folded into TA.  I think the reason for us to have a feeder guild largely died with Aundair, since not that many people knew the difference between TA/TD.  Still it is a change.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Re: Q's about Guild Level Impact
Reply #1 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 9:52am
Print Post  
I can't speak for all you in the larger, established guilds, but coming from a small, friends only guild it really puts a strain on you.  We have 7 players in our guild, maybe 20 toons.

I play more actively than any other member and am constantly pugging Velania in raids because of the guild only myself and one other guy play often enough to raid at end game level. 

As a result, I'm looking to move my 3 end game toons into a larger, high quality guild.  Actually been thinking about it for quite a while, this is just the straw that broke the camel's back.

My feeling is that you will see a lot of people moving from smaller guilds to larger ones.  Or smaller guilds consolidating to pool resources. 

But that's just my personal experience so far.

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #2 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Interesting.

Someone told me that they reversed how they were going to compensate for larger vs. smaller guilds.  Instead of scaling the amount of points you get based on the number of accounts in your guild, they are scaling the rate of decay.  Of course, I have no proof.  If that's the case, the large guilds will have an advantage in how fast they can level until the rate of decay overcomes their numbers advantage.  I guess I should say IF it overcomes their numbers advantage.

I think it will be very hard to form new guilds after this.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 10:12am
Print Post  
I had characters in several guilds. I pulled them all in Fallen Heroes because I was worried I would cause decay for other guilds. I have one lowbie in Crimson Eagles. I need to talk with Aranticus about if that will be a problem.

I think FH has picked up some new people out of this. Emili has cleared out old characters that have played in a long time. That is the only things I have noticed.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #4 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 10:14am
Print Post  
Reducing the rate of decay is nice in theory, but a small guild has to get to a point where decay happens before that is of value. 

A 7-10 player guild is going to have 6 months or more of gathering renown before decay even matters.  That's a lame benefit.

I agree that this will make starting a new guild much harder in the future.  Starting a new guild seem daunting today.  After all the established guilds are in the 80's, 90's etc, it will seem even more so.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #5 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 10:26am
Print Post  
A couple thoughts on my part:

1) I am aware of a couple of smaller guilds that have merged or where in talks to merge with larger ones on Khyber.
2) I'm not seeing a huge advantage for the larger guilds thus far.  Yes, they are a few levels ahead but the rate of increase has started to slow as the amount of renown required increases. It seems like ransacking renown takes a way a significant portion of large guilds advantages.  It will be interesting to see how this plays with decay...the best composition may end up being an active midsized guild.
3) I think creating new guilds will be business as usual once the 'ohhh shiny' effect wears off.  The base model ship is pretty easily attainable especially for a vet splinter guild.

« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2010 at 10:36am by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #6 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 10:28am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 2nd, 2010 at 10:12am:
I had characters in several guilds. I pulled them all in Fallen Heroes because I was worried I would cause decay for other guilds. I have one lowbie in Crimson Eagles. I need to talk with Aranticus about if that will be a problem.

I thought decay was account based not character based so if the account was active it counted across all alts...I certainly could be wrong though.  They haven't exactly been open and straight forward about how this system works...shocking.

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jul 2nd, 2010 at 10:28am:
I thought decay was account based not character based so if the account was active it counted across all alts...I certainly could be wrong though.  They haven't exactly been open and straight forward about how this system works...shocking.

Maybe we're saying the same thing, but I thought the decay was based on the number of accounts in the guild -- not whether the account was active or not. 

If you have between x and y accounts in your guild, your rate of decay is z per day.  So moving the accounts into FH doesn't hurt FH, but may help the other guild if they get below some magic number.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Jul 2nd, 2010 at 10:41am:
Maybe we're saying the same thing, but I thought the decay was based on the number of accounts in the guild -- not whether the account was active or not. 

If you have between x and y accounts in your guild, your rate of decay is z per day.  So moving the accounts into FH doesn't hurt FH, but may help the other guild if they get below some magic number.

Ahhh....yeah, that makes sense if I'm not pulling renown for that guild but counting against it's total for decay...didn't really think of it that way.  This system is such a suckfest it's really not even funny anymore. 

I was hoping for something that rewarded challenge and accomplishment as opposed to grinding and chance.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2010 at 10:54am by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 10:58am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jul 2nd, 2010 at 10:48am:
I was hoping for something that rewarded challenge and accomplishment as opposed to grinding and chance.

Didn't anyone tell you?  DDO is "the game with no grind"!

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 11:09am
Print Post  
ROFL, I pretty much accepted that was out the window.  MMO's can't generate content fast enough to keep people active without grind, at least from what I've seen. 

There were just so many better ways to do renown and they chose the lazy piss poor fuctard method.  It's rather disappointing.

Quote:

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jul 2nd, 2010 at 10:48am:
Ahhh....yeah, that makes sense if I'm not pulling renown for that guild but counting against it's total for decay...didn't really think of it that way.  This system is such a suckfest it's really not even funny anymore. 

I could see this making larger guilds be more strict on the activity level requirements for membership.  A guy who doesn't log on for several weeks might be more likely to get the boot.
« Last Edit: Jul 2nd, 2010 at 11:41am by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #12 - Jul 2nd, 2010 at 11:47am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 2nd, 2010 at 11:40am:
I could see this making larger guilds be more strict on the activity level requirements for membership.  A guy who doesn't log on for several weeks might be more likely to get the boot.

I think it will depend a lot upon where the breakpoints are.  If there are only a few categories, then it probably won't make that big of a difference.

Here's what I've seen as a breakdown, but I have no idea where it comes from:
Tiny (1-6)
Small (7-18)
Medium (19–36)
Large (37-64)
Extra Large (64-128)
Huge (129 plus)

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #13 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
What really pisses me off is that in order to have the best gear and buffs now, you will need to be in a high level guild.

I can just imagine the prices some of those augment slot items will be put up for on the AH once the slot properties become widely known. I imagine a lot of builds will be need to be modified to work in the changes implemented in U5.

Edit: I also don't like the power it gives a guild leader to arbitrarily nerf a player who's build relies on being in a high level guild to function optimally. I can just imagine the future drama that will ensue because of this mechanic.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2010 at 3:47pm by Astraghal »  

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #14 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 7:33pm
Print Post  

I'm guessing the member count in the guild rankings includes all alts?  If not, it looks like ER massively expanded.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #15 - Jul 6th, 2010 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Yep, it's not accounts it's characters.

Quote:

IP Logged

Hordo
High Rabbi

Le Douchebag

Reply #16 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 9:23am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jul 6th, 2010 at 7:33pm:
I'm guessing the member count in the guild rankings includes all alts?  If not, it looks like ER massively expanded.

Turbine's version of Mrs. Qwijy's magnifying glass perhaps?  Wink

Yes it includes all alts...but on the topic of buffs, at least every one but Ink's wife can let party members on the boats for whatever buffs are on there.  Smiley

I am the Rabbi, goo goo g'Jew!
Who doesn't <3 Gornn?
GORNN II 4:3:17 - For Gornn sent not Hordo into the world to save the party; but that the party through him might be wiped.
[QUOTE=404error;4155294]Hordo I don't want to steal you from these forums because your almost an icon here. ;p [/quote]
IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #17 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Hordo wrote on Jul 10th, 2010 at 9:23am:
Turbine's version of Mrs. Qwijy's magnifying glass perhaps?  Wink

/shakesfist  Smiley

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #18 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
I see people kicking alts out of their guilds. I hear some grumblings when people get back on the alts.

I saw a mis-tell by 8 talking about tossing out alts.

I see that the gravestone guild is at 1K and is making another guild.

I see a ton of "join my guild" crap all over the place.

My friends guild is about 20 now (doing a little cross-farming for things such as runes and getting renown, but not doing dq1 type stuff just for renown).

My founders guild of 1 is level 6 (not farming, just doing raids).

I think buffs for guilds was a mistake. It is yet another way for someone to not invite you to their group (looking at sown!)

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #19 - Jul 10th, 2010 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on Jul 10th, 2010 at 2:49pm:
I see people kicking alts out of their guilds. I hear some grumblings when people get back on the alts.

I saw a mis-tell by 8 talking about tossing out alts.

I see that the gravestone guild is at 1K and is making another guild.

I see a ton of "join my guild" crap all over the place.

My friends guild is about 20 now (doing a little cross-farming for things such as runes and getting renown, but not doing dq1 type stuff just for renown).

My founders guild of 1 is level 6 (not farming, just doing raids).

I think buffs for guilds was a mistake. It is yet another way for someone to not invite you to their group (looking at sown!)

In my guild, we posted an MOTD for everyone to log onto alts so we could know who was an inactive vs. a seldom used alt.  We are planning to make a holding guild for people who know they will be inactive for extended periods.

I agree though what should be just a fun extra has turned into a money grab.  I'm not sold on the low level buffs they are nice but hardly worth running back to the ship between each quest.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2010 at 6:47pm by Eladiun »  

Quote:

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
TFC isn't just kicking everyone out - we all sent an in-game mail to Saaluta with a list of all of our alts so that no one who is active got kicked.  It was in the MOTD for weeks.  So for someone to say they saw a "mistell from 8," it isn't that dramatic.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Hordo
High Rabbi

Le Douchebag

Reply #21 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
In our Guild Charter it states that if an account is inactive for a certain period of time either in-game or on the website even it may be booted unless they posted something in the Absence Forum.  This way our active duty folks, or ill folks, can remain, while others that just disappeared can be removed on a monthly basis without problem...usually.  Anyone who has been removed from the guild for Time purposes can just ask for a reinvite once their website access has been reapproved.

So, basically we warn folks coming in that we will boot their ass if they aren't active...problem solved even before renown.

I am the Rabbi, goo goo g'Jew!
Who doesn't <3 Gornn?
GORNN II 4:3:17 - For Gornn sent not Hordo into the world to save the party; but that the party through him might be wiped.
[QUOTE=404error;4155294]Hordo I don't want to steal you from these forums because your almost an icon here. ;p [/quote]
IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
I got booted from Loreseekers a while back.  Sad

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
Demoyn wrote on Jul 12th, 2010 at 2:06pm:
I got booted from Loreseekers a while back.  Sad

It was a unanimous vote...oopsie, I meant anonymous.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Demoyn
Ex Member

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jul 12th, 2010 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
Quote:
It was a unanimous vote...oopsie, I meant anonymous.  Cheesy

It wouldn't surprise me.  The Loreseeker officers that I've spoken to wanted me to come in and start arguing with n00bs in the guild that made bad choices so that people would hopefully learn the game better.  Unfortunately everyone involved is so damned hardheaded that it's degenerated into other officers asking me never to speak again because I give Loreseekers a bad reputation.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint