Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Carnival (Read 5354 times)
Antir
Shroud Slacker

Hi Welcome

Carnival
Sep 5th, 2010 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
So I did carnival with a guild group the other day for the firs time. It was one for the worst DDO experiences ever. It was horrible worse than necropolis. Who ever designed it deserves to be shot. I wanted to kill myself at the end of it. And what made it worse was the crashing bug in 'Big Top'. ONe of the group was swearing at the end declaring he would never do this again and realised he hadnt talked to rouge at one point in time and hadnt finished the quest chain.

Thank goodness for Red Rens. I had blast running through the explorer area and the quest are fun good xp and not too long. AWESOME.

"I'll provide the perspective"

IP Logged

Mister_Peace
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: Carnival
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2010 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
The carnival narrator is the best so far, although I haven't listened to Red Fens.

IP Logged

Buster77
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
Absolutely agree. I just ran the first quest in the chain, and hated it so much I wanted to go run Tomb of the Tormented 5 or 6 times just to wash the bad taste outta my mouth.  I dunno, maybe it will grow on me, but I doubt it.  If the other quests are like the first, it will be a month or so before I see the whole chain, since it will take me a week to convince myself to try the second one....

IP Logged

- Jay
Korthos Resident

RAWR~!

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
huh? really?
it's not a bad chain o_O
don't know what you guys are making a fuss about. never had any problem with it except when i get a buncha tards for a "partners"

AIM  
IP Logged

Antir
Shroud Slacker

Hi Welcome

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
its too long
its chilidish
it has crappy pop music
it has horrendous dialogue
it has stupid imaginary enemies
you feel like you are listening to someones great idea that sucks
there are optionals no one wants to do because you feel the quest is dragging you around by the nose.
you have little morons laughing at you saying they have tricked you again and again and again
the people you are helping walk too slow
the traps are stupid because no one can figure out their saves
who the wants to beat up a bunch of runes
big top has a bug worth that should not happen
and the first one in the chain is not so bad wait til you do the rest
climbing over rooftops for no particalarly good reason is not fun

the only good is that the loot isnt that great

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2010 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Antir wrote on Sep 6th, 2010 at 5:27pm:
its too long
its chilidish
it has crappy pop music
it has horrendous dialogue
it has stupid imaginary enemies
you feel like you are listening to someones great idea that sucks
there are optionals no one wants to do because you feel the quest is dragging you around by the nose.
you have little morons laughing at you saying they have tricked you again and again and again
the people you are helping walk too slow
the traps are stupid because no one can figure out their saves
who the wants to beat up a bunch of runes
big top has a bug worth that should not happen
and the first one in the chain is not so bad wait til you do the rest
climbing over rooftops for no particalarly good reason is not fun

the only good is that the loot isnt that great

You forgot,

Any dev that made this is probably in psychward working out his childish fears right now.  Cuz only someone fucked up in the head would make this shitty content and only someone worse would actually like it.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

kitsune_ko
Titan Demolisher

Halfling Pali-Rogues FTW!

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 2:41am
Print Post  
the Illusionary spike traps in Partycrashes drives me right up the wall. I died 3 times from them. As a Halfling Paly/Rogue build I have almost obscene saves, and yet every-single-bloody-freaking-spike hit me, every time. I can run though the spike fields in "I dream of Jeets" on elite and never take a hit, but die multiple times in a elite Lv 5 quest.

Turns out I was finally informed by another player who read the offical notes on the pack, there is no evasion save on the illusion spikes. So, you touch one, you get damage. 100% damage, all the time

Wonder who came up with that bag full of win?

Kit
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2010 at 2:44am by kitsune_ko »  

"Shiny stuff comes and goes; XP is forever."

2008-10-15: Full frontal Nerdity

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 2:44am
Print Post  
I don't mind the quests themselves as they give a story you can follow and not just mindless killing. If you could read, you might actually have seen a story line there.

The only problem has been the bugged Epic loot and the length of time it took for them to acknowledge it.

So, you like the red fens "must protect xxx and kill everything" quest more than any of those? Seriously?

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 2:58am
Print Post  
Do agree there's a lot of ass to elbows running.
The spike traps are will save.
Really freakin odd that there's so much put into true seeing options when most folks won't have the set for another 4-5 levels or so unless TRing, and the respawing L10 PK spammers for elite...
Kinda get the impression this was initially slated for a higher level and someone slapped the arbitrary 'make it 5' on it.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2010 at 3:00am by »  

IP Logged

Antir
Shroud Slacker

Hi Welcome

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 5:25am
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on Sep 7th, 2010 at 2:44am:
I don't mind the quests themselves as they give a story you can follow and not just mindless killing. If you could read, you might actually have seen a story line there.

The only problem has been the bugged Epic loot and the length of time it took for them to acknowledge it.

So, you like the red fens "must protect xxx and kill everything" quest more than any of those? Seriously?

YOU LIKED THE STORY!

Are you retarded?

IP Logged

Angel Barchild
Stormreaver Piker

I'm that mean ginger kid.

Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 7:11am
Print Post  
Weird that you guys seem to hate it. I had a great time, laughed my ass of every time those hell hounds riding flaming sphears exploded and flung me to Gornn. Had a great night doing the whole thing with my irl friends. The story felt more like pen and paper than any of the other mods I have played in DDO, that's one of the things I loved about it.

Illusionary spike traps can be avoided completly by hugging the left or right wall and having a decent jump.

I guess everyone is entitled to an opinion. You all are just wrong Wink

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Angel Barchild wrote on Sep 7th, 2010 at 7:11am:
Weird that you guys seem to hate it. I had a great time, laughed my ass of every time those hell hounds riding flaming sphears exploded and flung me to Gornn. Had a great night doing the whole thing with my irl friends. The story felt more like pen and paper than any of the other mods I have played in DDO, that's one of the things I loved about it.

Illusionary spike traps can be avoided completly by hugging the left or right wall and having a decent jump.

If I wanted the opinion you are entitled to, I would of told you what it was.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Canuckish
Korthos Resident

giggity

Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 10:11am
Print Post  
I had a good time with it, solo'd through it on my guy at level, was fun, only thing I didnt like was the "illusionary" fire giant fight, but once i figured out the trick that wasnt so bad either.

The negative for it though is horrible XP \ Time rate

IP Logged

kitsune_ko
Titan Demolisher

Halfling Pali-Rogues FTW!

Reply #13 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
The illusion spike traps saves are still a moronic concept. If anything it should be will ~OR~ reflex save. not just will alone.

The thought that a rogue/evasion type that would be fine evading in any regular trap now would suddenly freak out and consistently impale themselves because this one "might" be an illusion is ludicrous.

I mean seriously, does an evasion-type honestly go "oh noes! this might not be a real trap! I best then just throw myself onto it and see if I will save or not to find out".

If an evasion-type can pick their way though a normal trap without damage, why cannot they pick their way though an illusionary one with the same result?

Illusionary traps, an interesting idea, but just plain dumb-ass implementation.

Kit
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2010 at 2:43pm by kitsune_ko »  

"Shiny stuff comes and goes; XP is forever."

2008-10-15: Full frontal Nerdity

IP Logged

- Jay
Korthos Resident

RAWR~!

Reply #14 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
kit, you do know you can go thru the entire quest without touching the spike trap a single time?
and i'm pretty sure there are no saves involved/granted at all?

can't say i LOVE IT, but i know for sure i don't hate it or dislike it enough to avoid it
personally i think this chain is way better than sentinel, threnal, sharn's, and the shaverath pack
sure, the loot isn't as good, but i sure had a better time doing carnival chain than the other ones. only hard part is to get a freaking competent group going. seems like the PUG quality is just dropping steadily....

AIM  
IP Logged

Antir
Shroud Slacker

Hi Welcome

Reply #15 - Sep 7th, 2010 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
The story felt more like pen and paper than any of the other mods I have played in DDO, that's one of the things I loved about it.

This is FAIL unless you were 8 years old when you played PnP.

IP Logged

Pallai
Stormreaver Piker

Keeper of the Rangersauce

Reply #16 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 4:52am
Print Post  
kitsune_ko wrote on Sep 7th, 2010 at 2:41am:
the Illusionary spike traps in Partycrashes drives me right up the wall. I died 3 times from them. As a Halfling Paly/Rogue build I have almost obscene saves, and yet every-single-bloody-freaking-spike hit me, every time. I can run though the spike fields in "I dream of Jeets" on elite and never take a hit, but die multiple times in a elite Lv 5 quest.

Turns out I was finally informed by another player who read the offical notes on the pack, there is no evasion save on the illusion spikes. So, you touch one, you get damage. 100% damage, all the time

Wonder who came up with that bag full of win?

Kit

It's an **illusionary** trap... I'm assuming that it has a Will save- I can run through there on EPIC on my evasion Cleric and only take damage half of the time.

Pallai, Ascent
Saraphima, Chennai, Northenstar, Chellai Nothing Personal
Argonessen

IP Logged

Landar
Waterworks Kobold

Cannith Crystal Epic!

Reply #17 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 4:59am
Print Post  
kitsune_ko wrote on Sep 7th, 2010 at 2:42pm:
The illusion spike traps saves are still a moronic concept. If anything it should be will ~OR~ reflex save. not just will alone.

The thought that a rogue/evasion type that would be fine evading in any regular trap now would suddenly freak out and consistently impale themselves because this one "might" be an illusion is ludicrous.

I mean seriously, does an evasion-type honestly go "oh noes! this might not be a real trap! I best then just throw myself onto it and see if I will save or not to find out".

If an evasion-type can pick their way though a normal trap without damage, why cannot they pick their way though an illusionary one with the same result?

Illusionary traps, an interesting idea, but just plain dumb-ass implementation.

Kit

So.  You're a Phiarlan Rogue/Wizard/Spything with Evasion.  House Phiarlan says "Hey, make up some traps to guard the Chapterhouse.  Here's an obscene amount of money."

First thing said wizard thinks?  "Oh, 99.9% traps out there are easily bypassed by rogues.  I better think up something inventive, so they get killed, too."

Or do you question the feasibility of trapmakers changing tactics to respond to their traps constantly failing to keep intruders out?

Festivius/Hobadash/Kiarnan/McPhail ~ Eternal Wrath
Aneist/Oshkosch/Dalzeil ~ Silent Accord
Sarlona

IP Logged

Angel Barchild
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #18 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Antir wrote on Sep 7th, 2010 at 9:35pm:
This is FAIL unless you were 8 years old when you played PnP.

I said "more like" as in it had more of the PnP aspects than the other DDO mods.

Thaco at 18 years old confused me, let alone 8. I don't have the maths to play 2nd edition. Tongue

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Reply #19 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 5:07pm
Print Post  

I want to know what the hell is going on at your table that any quest in DDO, particularly the carnivals reminds you of it. Or you can get a free pass by changing the subject to boobies. Either/or is fine.

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #20 - Sep 8th, 2010 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
I also hate these quests. They are just tedious. I especially hate the giant quest.

Only epic big top is run by me because of the full token. I've done snitch epic just because we were running a bunch of stuff and it was a decent group. Otherwise they can rot for all I care.

Red Fens FTW though.

IP Logged

Angel Barchild
Stormreaver Piker

Reply #21 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 3:04am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Sep 8th, 2010 at 5:07pm:
I want to know what the hell is going on at your table that any quest in DDO, particularly the carnivals reminds you of it. Or you can get a free pass by changing the subject to boobies. Either/or is fine.

It was that you got to do more than just swing your axe or cast a firewall. Find and eliminate the threat to a noble, convince someone to do something (even if the giant was a little stupid). I just thought it was nice to do somehting that wasn't completly combat, something that you had to think about a little.

If my DM tried to run something like that it would have been considered very lame, but it is much closer to PnP then anything else I've played in DDO.

Maybe it's just my group of players, but in our PnP we might not even have combat every session. Hell we might go two or three even before we end up in combat. I just thought it was nice to do a little more than hit stuff.

Like I said, it's not good PnP in fact it would have been considered bad. It's just a little more like it, than say, killing kobalds for an hour.

Oh and  Smiley  Smiley

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Reply #22 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 8:08am
Print Post  
Fun fact: The quests that try to be something other than mindless hack and slash often end up as the worst in the game. This is because they completely fail at introducing any actual creativity and options, while still slowing down the XP/loot grind. So it's cute that they're trying, but that's the most likely reason why people are hating on them.

For you see, in order to introduce actual creativity and options you can't just make one small section of the game do that. You have to make the whole game do that.

And when you have a game all about 'no tactics, DPS only, FINAL DESTINATION!' your game environment is the exact opposite of what is required to introduce such things successfully. Not by happenstance, but because the game is intentionally made to work in that way.

Also, yay boobies.

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Old McRonald
Korthos Resident

Where am I and why can't
I find my pants?

Reply #23 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
I ran the quests with a buddy of mine who also DMs our PnP games and we both enjoyed the chain.  No, it's not optimal for loot and experience, but it was something out of the ordinary and we found it rather nice having a chain with many different aspects involved in the quests.  It wasn't about zerging thorugh it, it was about enjoying it.

Also, I found the hellhounds riding the flaming spheres fucking hilarious.

We found that, like Angel was saying, it had more of a PnP feel to it because it wasn't just about bopping enemies left and right.  That was what we enjoyed most about it.

IP Logged

Antir
Shroud Slacker

Hi Welcome

Reply #24 - Sep 14th, 2010 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Old McRonald wrote on Sep 14th, 2010 at 2:33pm:
I ran the quests with a buddy of mine who also DMs our PnP games and we both enjoyed the chain.  No, it's not optimal for loot and experience, but it was something out of the ordinary and we found it rather nice having a chain with many different aspects involved in the quests.  It wasn't about zerging thorugh it, it was about enjoying it.

Also, I found the hellhounds riding the flaming spheres fucking hilarious.

We found that, like Angel was saying, it had more of a PnP feel to it because it wasn't just about bopping enemies left and right.  That was what we enjoyed most about it.

/fail

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint