Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Monk damage tables (Read 6279 times)
Dythan
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Monk damage tables
Sep 19th, 2010 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Damage Tier boost question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does the monk past life feat, that ups your damage table 1 tier stack with the bracer from the Sentiniels pack that gives the same?

Past Life: Disciple of the Fist Past Life You recall more about your past life as a monk. You have +2 to your Concentration skill, deal increased unarmed damage (one step higher than normal on the unarmed combat chart), and can enter an evasive trance once per rest, granting the evasion feat for a short period of time. (When you make a successful Reflex save to avoid damage, you suffer no damage instead of half damage.) Note: You must meet normal evasion requirements for this one. No medium or heavy armor, no heavy encumbrance.

and

Jidz-Tet'ka--- Thok-zik, The Earth-Change (Monk Earth Stance) - Earth gives the Kreen their strength. Your unarmed damage is increased by one die step.

Dythan
Khyber
Epik Poo

IP Logged

Visty
Ex Member

Re: Monk damage tables
Reply #1 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
yes, they stack
lvl20 monk has 2d10
with one of those 2d12
with both 2d14

IP Logged

Antir
Shroud Slacker

Hi Welcome

Reply #2 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Real Monk DPS is based around ToD, more ToD is more DPS.
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2010 at 7:01pm by Antir »  

"I'll provide the perspective"

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
sacrificing wind or fire stance to sit in earth stance is an epic waste.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Dythan
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2010 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
i'm more looking at uping the base DPS of a monk spash build, like the Prodigy.  1d8 to 2d6 is a nice jump for a feat slot and decent bracers.

Dythan
Khyber
Epik Poo

IP Logged

Antir
Shroud Slacker

Hi Welcome

Reply #5 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 5:10am
Print Post  
you are not listening

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #6 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 6:50am
Print Post  
Dythan wrote on Sep 19th, 2010 at 7:55pm:
i'm more looking at uping the base DPS of a monk spash build, like the Prodigy.  1d8 to 2d6 is a nice jump for a feat slot and decent bracers.

The item will cause your damage per hit will be higher, but damage per second will be lower.

IP Logged

Dythan
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Antir wrote on Sep 20th, 2010 at 5:10am:
you are not listening

I hear you, just not sure you know what the fuck your talking about.

With access to only the first or 2nd tier of windstance, the bonus to double attack is 2.5% to 5%  double attack.  Fire Stance gives +1 to Ki, which builds Ki. 

As I'm only taking a max of 6 levels of monk, i'm going to fall short of ToD.  So, can you provide any numbers backing that not taking 5% double attack, or being able to fire off 1 more debuff per mob is greater then 1 die step?

I like the nuts and bolts and number crunching of the game, and I'd like to build and play optimal toons as much as the next guy.  That's why I ask those who know more then me questions.

Dythan
Khyber
Epik Poo

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #8 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Dythan wrote on Sep 20th, 2010 at 9:12am:

With access to only the first or 2nd tier of windstance, the bonus to double attack is 2.5% to 5%  double attack.  Fire Stance gives +1 to Ki, which builds Ki. 

As I'm only taking a max of 6 levels of monk, i'm going to fall short of ToD.  So, can you provide any numbers backing that not taking 5% double attack, or being able to fire off 1 more debuff per mob is greater then 1 die step?

I like the nuts and bolts and number crunching of the game, and I'd like to build and play optimal toons as much as the next guy.  That's why I ask those who know more then me questions.

Fire stance gives extra ki, if you are going to maximize dps you will be spamming your ki attacks.   Although, in all reality, if you arent going to go 9 levels for ToD then you may as well just grab a weapon and swing at something.  That 500 dmg is more of a benefit then whatever 3 lvls of any other class will get you... not to mention you get improved evasion as well.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #9 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 10:03am
Print Post  
As the others have said, the stacking of those two bonuses may sound cool on the surface... but it's not so great in practical use. You just simply lose too much by being in Earth Stance as opposed to Fire or Wind. Which, in my opinion, is why the Devs gave the Earth stance that bonus on the Bracers... they needed to boost Earth & Water's appeal a bit, since they were mostly ignored.

IMHO - being able to launch one more Ki attack per sequence is better then the die-step. Fists of Darkness alone will outstrip the die-steps benefits in a sustained fight.

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #10 - Sep 20th, 2010 at 10:20am
Print Post  
That's why I ask those who know more then me questions.

Antir has that covered.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Antir
Shroud Slacker

Hi Welcome

Reply #11 - Sep 21st, 2010 at 7:51pm
Print Post  

Epoch wrote on Sep 20th, 2010 at 9:28am:
Fire stance gives extra ki, if you are going to maximize dps you will be spamming your ki attacks.   Although, in all reality, if you arent going to go 9 levels for ToD then you may as well just grab a weapon and swing at something.  That 500 dmg is more of a benefit then whatever 3 lvls of any other class will get you... not to mention you get improved evasion as well.

It is all good you seem to be ready to listen now.

Monk damage as i have discovered is all about Ki management. Your base damage is more important if you are a strength build but is not the main thing.

Ki determines how much damage you can manage during combat because it is all about your strikes and finishing moves(if you are a strength build then finishing moves are meaningless).

Touch of Death is a Monk Dark enhancement that allows you to do an addistional 500 points of damage for 50ki. So you want to be able to build up your Ki as much as possible. Fire stance is the best for this as it gives you additional Ki when you strike.

However if you are a non-strength build then Wind stance can be just effective in doing this because of the number of strikes you have to do to damage things. Obviously small damage really fast is going build up a lot of Ki for your Touch of Death which hits everything in the game.

Fist of Darkness, Dark Path strike power, is also nice damage against non-undead and beats your thinking about base damage. Depending on how you manage your Ki and this is the fun part you can do a lot of damage. i liken it to managing a Wizards sp in terms of how it works. 

The real DPS for monks is found in good Ki management and Touch of Death which goes of on your double strikes. Yes you can hit one or more than one monster with ONE Touch of Death strike for 2+ consecutive 500damage points. I have yet to reach the higher levels but people tell me you can get it go with 4 or more of your hits at once.

You can only get Touch of Death by choosing the Dark Path and having 9 Monk levels.

IP Logged

(.)
Waterworks Kobold

Ebading a van XD

Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 3:32pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint