Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Where to get more AC for a WF Sorc? (Read 6010 times)
popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Where to get more AC for a WF Sorc?
Oct 11th, 2010 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=3329334#post3329334

I really am serious about trying to keep this (mostly) serious at least at first, so I'm posting this in DDO-Specific discussion and not Drama-ville.

Quote:
I have a WF Sorc friend who has been having a lot of problems with getting more damage from ranged enemies than he wants. This is very important for him, so can anyone suggest other sources of AC that he could use. A +4 Dodge bonus that isn't Icy Rainments would be a big help as well as any other sources of AC that you could come up with. He already knows about other ways to not be hit (Blur, Displacement, not standing in front of archers, etc), so I'd like to keep this just focused on AC.

I'd like to keep this (at least mostly) serious, so please keep the mockery to a minimum at least for the first couple of pages. I think that approaching the problem from this angle might help him more than

AC
10 Base
1 Alchemical Dodge
3 Chattering Ring Dodge
6 Dexterity
4 Insight (Shroud Crafted)
5 Protection
5 Barkskin
8 Armor Bracers
5 Combat Expertise
1 Haste
1 Haste (Air Guard Haste stacks with spell Haste for AC)
2 Recitation (Scroll)
1 PSA (DDO store-bought Potion of Supreme Ability, use only on special occaisions)
1 Yugo Pot for +2 DEX

53 AC from what I can think of off the top of my head. That's not enough to take seriously for high end content, but it's getting into the useful range for at least some of the stuff that you might want to farm at cap, so I know we're close.

A lesser reincarnate to splash a level of Monk would pick up about an extra 10 AC on top of that. I can't think of any other sources of AC, so I'm appealing to you all.

Any thoughts?  Please head over to the DDO forums if you have useful suggestions.  I'm also mildly interested in this for my WF Wizard as well...

fnord

IP Logged

Emili
Shroud Slacker

Re: Where to get more AC for a WF Sorc?
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
DR and a torq Smiley I mean really if in archer line move some and they miss... the game from any perspective is bout moving - did you know two steps across a fw and those arrows never get a roll. Is not that you cannot get a "mid" level AC on a caster ... but more like to do so you have to nearly gear all you can thus hurt what you do the best as switching (toggling) over between is not so easy.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2010 at 7:48pm by Emili »  

|IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 | IMaj7 vim7 | iim7 V13 |III7+  VI9 | iim9  V13 |IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 |IMaj7 vim7 |iim7 V13 |I6  ivm7  bVII9 |I69   |

Bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'etre aimé et quand s'en va, l'espoir fuit.

IP Logged

Quikster
Titan Demolisher

n00balicious

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 7:47pm
Print Post  
A shield maybe?

Honestly, some dr (hound shield/bramble casters) and a torc would be a lot better use of time farming for items then trying to get a meaningful ac.

~The Quikmeister~

IP Logged

Tyrsis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 8:05pm
Print Post  
10 base
5 mith body
5 dex
5 docent(good ones have +3 more AC reinforced bonus)
1 alc armor mastery
6 (+5 mith light shield) or +7 Heavy shield with ASF investment
1 alc shield mastery
+3 chattering
+5 protection
+4 insight
+2 chaosgarde
+1 haste
+1 dodge feat
+2 recite
+5 barkskin
+5 pally aura
+4 bard heroics

Low 50's unbuffed, and a grand total 65-68 AC raid buffed to the hilt with a bard hand-job.  Perhaps I'm missing a point or 2 of AC somewhere.

Yes it's not necessary to have on a caster, but it does not hurt you any either to sport a half ass decent AC for trash mobs.  It does require a fair bit more grinding.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 8:21pm
Print Post  
Quikster wrote on Oct 11th, 2010 at 7:47pm:
A shield maybe?

Honestly, some dr (hound shield/bramble casters) and a torc would be a lot better use of time farming for items then trying to get a meaningful ac.

Lol.  that's really sad.  I can't believe I didn't include a shield in my calculations.

How obvious is it that my AC character is a Tempest Ranger?

fnord

IP Logged

Quikster
Titan Demolisher

n00balicious

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Tyrsis wrote on Oct 11th, 2010 at 8:05pm:
10 base
5 mith body
5 dex
5 docent(good ones have +3 more AC reinforced bonus)
1 alc armor mastery
6 (+5 mith light shield) or +7 Heavy shield with ASF investment
1 alc shield mastery
+3 chattering
+5 protection
+4 insight
+2 chaosgarde
+1 haste
+1 dodge feat
+2 recite
+5 barkskin
+5 pally aura
+4 bard heroics

Low 50's unbuffed, and a grand total 65-68 AC raid buffed to the hilt with a bard hand-job.  Perhaps I'm missing a point or 2 of AC somewhere.

Yes it's not necessary to have on a caster, but it does not hurt you any either to sport a half ass decent AC for trash mobs.  It does require a fair bit more grinding.

Not sure i totally agree. Youre talking two feats, ap's, several gear slots with better options, and being raid buffed to the max to get a less than mediocre ac. Better to put grinding to other areas imo.

~The Quikmeister~

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Ship buffs.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Tyrsis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
I'm not advocating this sort of build on a Sorc.  If you want to go down that road it's more viable on a Wiz with the extra feats needed.  I'm also not claiming it's the ezmode way to gear up a caster. But is indeed possible to build a good functional caster with AC.  It just takes more effort.

Your never going to tank Horoth with 60ish AC, but it will mitigate some damage on non raid/epic quests.  Just carrying a DR type shield helps.

The OP did not ask for my opinion on such a build for a Sorc.  I'm just tossing out ideas.   

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Tyrsis wrote on Oct 11th, 2010 at 9:00pm:
I'm not advocating this sort of build on a Sorc.  If you want to go down that road it's more viable on a Wiz with the extra feats needed.  I'm also not claiming it's the ezmode way to gear up a caster. But is indeed possible to build a good functional caster with AC.  It just takes more effort.

Your never going to tank Horoth with 60ish AC, but it will mitigate some damage on non raid/epic quests.  Just carrying a DR type shield helps.

The OP did not ask for my opinion on such a build for a Sorc.  I'm just tossing out ideas.   

I dont think his "friend"(if its the same person I am thinking of) will ever be tanking Horoth. Or anything else for that matter.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #9 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
woody wrote on Oct 11th, 2010 at 9:12pm:
I dont think his "friend"(if its the same person I am thinking of) will ever be tanking Horoth. Or anything else for that matter.

Yeah.  I didn't want to say on the DDO forums since I wanted to get serious responses, but this is kind of like the prep work for an intervention for H4xx0r1f1c.

"Haxxorific, we're all here because we care about you and we want you to stop playing PvP.  If you're not going to stop with the PvP, we at least want you to know about some treatment options for your Arcane Archer condition."

I just forgot to put the clarification in my no-BS forum post.
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2010 at 9:28pm by popejubal »  

fnord

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #10 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Oct 11th, 2010 at 9:28pm:
Yeah.  I didn't want to say on the DDO forums since I wanted to get serious responses, but this is kind of like the prep work for an intervention for H4xx0r1f1c.

"Haxxorific, we're all here because we care about you and we want you to stop playing PvP.  If you're not going to stop with the PvP, we at least want you to know about some treatment options for your Arcane Archer condition."

I just forgot to put the clarification in my no-BS forum post.

Yeah I figured this was a result of your funny as hell AC/Thac0 post and his reply of but i'm a sorc post in the thread that got closed. That was a funny as hell post btw.

IP Logged

Tyrsis
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
Ok...  that makes a bit more sense then =)

That explains why he has CE listed then.  No arcane in their right mind would take that for anything but PvP.

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #12 - Oct 11th, 2010 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Displacement will probably give you more miss chance in the higher end quests where you actually need AC.

Shield spell is +4 AC if you want to free up your hands.

Recitation scrolls only last about 80 seconds btw.

IP Logged

Breaken
Horoluth Raider

Go^Yourself

Reply #13 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Correct me if i am wrong i dont fuck with ac much, But when they fixed the armor class items/spells that added Enchantment bonus's to not stack with the + you get on armor, Meaning you would have to be wearing a robe or vestament to get the bonus from the item/spell.

Would the + to armor from the docent make you not receive the benifit from the armored bracers??

Quote:
Breaken's just a weird asshole, divorcced and pathetically marvelling at talk of sex.  That guy is fucked IMHO. People I really don't like here list is small.  Not that you or anyone should care, but for me it is Calvet, because he's stupid in a bitchy drama way, and Breaken, but he is a liar and a blunt, inelegant angry guy

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 1:04am
Print Post  
Breaken wrote on Oct 12th, 2010 at 12:32am:
Would the + to armor from the docent make you not receive the benifit from the armored bracers??

Yep. Higher + only.
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2010 at 1:04am by »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #15 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 3:48am
Print Post  
Grab a shield from hound... both have the same DR modifier... one has a much lower arcane spell failure, the cleric one I believe.  Anyways, a torc, conc opp, and a shield is your best ac, throw in displacement and you are set.

Tell him to get more con, max concentration.. It is all you need as a caster.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #16 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 4:02am
Print Post  
Breaken wrote on Oct 12th, 2010 at 12:32am:

To be more exact, Warforged get 2 extra ac from a docent the from armor class obtained by any other means.

The reason that this is, is because of Composite Plating for Warforged.  The 2 ac only stacks with docents, no other means of armor enchantments.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #17 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Thanks for all the help here.  I learned a few things that I hadn't previously known about AC.

I also heard that stat damagers don't actually do anything if their "regular" damage doesn't get past the DR.  If you are shield blocking, do you have to suck up just the regular weapon damage + strength + favored enemy, etc. or do you have to eat all the extra typed +damage stuff like the Whatever Burst/Whatever Blast/AA Acid arrows/AA Force arrows/etc.?

He was complaining in particular about the stat damagers, so if he only has to suck up the first number, then shield blocking with the Hound shield and WF DR while tossing an occasional reconstruct could work for him while he waits for manyshot to wear off.

fnord

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 10:21am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Oct 12th, 2010 at 8:21am:
I also heard that stat damagers don't actually do anything if their "regular" damage doesn't get past the DR.  If you are shield blocking, do you have to suck up just the regular weapon damage + strength + favored enemy, etc. or do you have to eat all the extra typed +damage stuff like the Whatever Burst/Whatever Blast/AA Acid arrows/AA Force arrows/etc.?

Dunno for stat damagers beyond they gotta bleed, but that's how guards work. No ding, no joy.

IP Logged

Breaken
Horoluth Raider

Go^Yourself

Reply #19 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 12th, 2010 at 3:48am:
Grab a shield from hound... both have the same DR modifier... one has a much lower arcane spell failure, the cleric one I believe.  Anyways, a torc, conc opp, and a shield is your best ac, throw in displacement and you are set.

Tell him to get more con, max concentration.. It is all you need as a caster.

Torc + Conc Op + Displacement = Mad Redonc (tm Gornn)

I think you would be better off throwing ac out the window getting your Blocking dr up. You want to be taking some damage for the torc and Conc Op to proc.

Quote:
Breaken's just a weird asshole, divorcced and pathetically marvelling at talk of sex.  That guy is fucked IMHO. People I really don't like here list is small.  Not that you or anyone should care, but for me it is Calvet, because he's stupid in a bitchy drama way, and Breaken, but he is a liar and a blunt, inelegant angry guy

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #20 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Dunno for stat damagers beyond they gotta bleed, but that's how guards work. No ding, no joy.

Stat damagers work the same way. If you cant bypass dr you dont get the -con/str.

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #21 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Breaken wrote on Oct 12th, 2010 at 6:26pm:
I think you would be better off throwing ac out the window getting your Blocking dr up. You want to be taking some damage for the torc and Conc Op to proc.

I think most players are thinking the same thing as this but given the player and the purpose of this I think a better question would be "How do I obtain an AC high enough to avoid most players attacks?"

IP Logged

Breaken
Horoluth Raider

Go^Yourself

Reply #22 - Oct 12th, 2010 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
woody wrote on Oct 12th, 2010 at 6:45pm:
I think most players are thinking the same thing as this but given the player and the purpose of this I think a better question would be "How do I obtain an AC high enough to avoid most players attacks?"

A caster at end game will not acheive this, if you did you would probably gimp yourself far beyond what you have fixed.

Quote:

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #23 - Oct 13th, 2010 at 3:36am
Print Post  
Honestly, if you want a caster with high ac,  take one level of monk.  Really, getting a high ac is going to gimp you anyways, so you may as well embrace it and actually achieve something that you wanted.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint