Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mabar/Halloween event and event kill-stealing (Read 4778 times)
kitsune_ko
Titan Demolisher

Halfling Pali-Rogues FTW!

Mabar/Halloween event and event kill-stealing
Oct 26th, 2010 at 8:27pm
Print Post  

So, I imagine that everyone has participated at least a little bit in the previews of the coming event? While I love some of the rewards (the Cloak of Night is sweet) I really wish that it was better organised on DDO's end.

While I have earned 9 keys from killing mobs during the previews, I have yet once to complete the raid (well, sort-of-kind-of raid, to be continued...) and apperently some bright dev added that you can trade in 10K essences for a scale, but essences stacks are 9,999 max. Pure win.

Back to the sort-of-kind-of raid. What a piece of crap design and implementation. I only wish I could say this so openly on the *other* forums, but honestly, it is pure unfettered uninspiered shit.

You have no idea how many other people are in with you, you have no idea where they are or what they are doing, you have no idea where your healer-types are or even if you have any. You have no way to talk to everyone else in the event other then general chat.

Honestly, how hard would it have been to add peoples locations to the map, and a party bar like in every other freaking bloody group quest/raid in the entire game? I am honestly impressed anyone ever gets completions.

And this does not even begin to touch on the technical side problems with the altars spontaniously coming to life as kobalds, dragons that become untouchable NPCs, though I have to admit I did not get kicked at all, I certainly heard after events from several people who are still getting the boot from the event while in progress and still losing keys.

It's like a 16-man solo event, where you just hope to hell you have enough of the right people doing the right things at the right times AND that no wierd bugs occur.

I hope to hell they are doing some serious tweaking for when the event really starts, but I somehow doubt anything will be changed.

Turbines mantra now seems to be "We are too far along in development, we cannot make changes". Someone should sit them down and explain the concept of Beta testing and player feedback to them. Using a large stick might help.

Part 2: Kill stealing in event while gathering essesnces. While I have to admit at least yeterday after changing event channels and locations a few times, I did finally find a spot to farm, I was still quite frequently interrupted by high levels blowing though and AoEing everything as they flew past.

A) I am a recent TR, I am fighting mob spawns way below their level, and repeatedly killing my mobs does absolutely shit for them, and just pisses me off. Running laps around a instance spamming AoEs hoping to hit something occasionally in your correct level range is stupid and untimately inneffective.

B) They finish blowing though just as spawns are coming, and I have to sit there for 3 min stareing at unkillable Lv 20 event mobs, waiting for my wraiths and ect to spawn and for these unkillable spawns to vanish.

And I did learn something interesting that I will share, if say you kill one of your spawns (say a Lv 1 Zombie) within I would say about 10-15 virtual in-game feet, any high level spawns from other players in this radious even though they are not your spawns, will still aggro on you. I found this out as I nearly got ass-raped by several nearby frostmarrows while trying to kill my wraiths that spawned at the same time. Fun.

Finally, I had a "you have to be fucking kidding me, your serious?" moment reading the *other* forum, where everyone is raving over how great it is that AoE run-by spammers are helping everyone. I call absolute fucking bullshit.

I spent 3 hours farming essences/items in the event yesterday solo, and not once in any drive-by spamming did I get one single drop or essence. The only time I ever got anything the entire time from shared kills was vampire fangs from vampires.

I am suspecting that most of these posters are fly-by spammers hoping to talk everyone into accepting their actions as a good thing, or people just so fucking stupid that while in a party farming while AoE spammers are killing their mobs, they are still getting drops from what the rest of the party is doing and thinking its great that drops just magically appear in their inventory after getting their mobs killed.

So I guess don't be overly suprised to see many fly-by AoE'rs in full force during the actual event. After all they are "helping" you apperently.

Still getting my cloak, Already have most of what I need already, short of the scales, it just makes me shake my head at the level of stupidity surrounding this event so far.

Kit

"Shiny stuff comes and goes; XP is forever."

2008-10-15: Full frontal Nerdity

IP Logged

Antir
Shroud Slacker

Hi Welcome

Re: Mabar/Halloween event and event kill-stealing
Reply #1 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
Is this meant to be drama? If it is why didnt you post it in the drama forum?

If it is not meant to be drama then you fail again.

"I'll provide the perspective"

IP Logged

kitsune_ko
Titan Demolisher

Reply #2 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 8:57pm
Print Post  

Not drama, just pointing out flaws and problems with the event and discussing player behaviour in the event.

If it was drama, I would put it under drama, but as the Mabar event starts very soon and is certainly DDO related, I put it under DDO.

Seven heavens help one who enters the event not knowing the mirad problems beforehand, like I said in the other post, I know the flaws and still have problems with raid completions.

Probably mot such a huge deal with Lv 20's running it, but I fall in the 9+ range of runs after TRing, and its damn hard, and possibly plain undoable with how it is set up right now.

Kit

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Oct 26th, 2010 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
One thing they likely didn't push home hard enough was that anyone in-group gets a chance at a drop, so there's that.

Of course, folks have been mentioning since it opened up on Lam that they should retool the thing and use the same tech as they did in the pseudo-raid on Delera's proper for breaking things on down by level to avoid just what you're describing, but that there must be crazy talk, because the only response has been crickets.
« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2010 at 11:06pm by »  

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Even on Lam it was pointed out that the live event was geared for Arcane and Divine casters. I was more than likly one of those run by spammers. If I got a pot running I am not staying in one place to wait for spawns. I run around hit my burst AOE anytime I see a mob pop up regardless of who is next it. Melees are at a huge disadvantage there if even one cleric is in the party. Yes its a flaw and it sucks.
I do know that you can collect motes outside of the event area and posted a thread on the official boards to see if anyone else has experimented with it and found  a good spot to farm motes.

IP Logged

kitsune_ko
Titan Demolisher

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 7:31pm
Print Post  

Mmm, strangely enough that never occured to me that the fly-by spammers would be using potions for mote farming. As the potions are CR:2 and above ,thats pretty much covers any undead spawns in the event area. So I guess taking that into account, that would help explain a lot of the fly-by mob AoE sniping.

I agree the spawn rates really need to be increased, that was a considerable part of the fustration was the 2-3 min wait between spawns, just to have someone fly though and screw it up for you, making you wait another 2-3 min for the next spawns to occur.

And even if the event mobs spawned normally, even as a melee I would have the batch finished off in 15-30 seconds. That makes for a lot of wasted time sitting and waiting for the next spawn to occur.

Though a nice side benefit of lack of action is that your HP/MP regens in the event areas, so I could always keep myself topped up between the brief action spurts. In the 3 hours I was there only once I had to leave and go to a tavern area, and that was after my frostmarrow run in.

One other thing that would be nice if they changed is if you could see the event mobs names before you aggro them. Perhaps it was just me, but I saw nothing for names/titles for each event mob until they started aggroing/fighting me, which was just odd.

Kit

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
kitsune_ko wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 7:31pm:
Mmm, strangely enough that never occured to me that the fly-by spammers would be using potions for mote farming. As the potions are CR:2 and above ,thats pretty much covers any undead spawns in the event area. So I guess taking that into account, that would help explain a lot of the fly-by mob AoE sniping.

If you have the ability to AOE why not run a pot? I smack a group fo 10 undead with one aura burst and they all go down. Even if they are too low lvl to give me a turn in items I get motes from it.

I agree the spawn rates really need to be increased, that was a considerable part of the fustration was the 2-3 min wait between spawns, just to have someone fly though and screw it up for you, making you wait another 2-3 min for the next spawns to occur.

Do not hang in one spot. Make sure your group is constantly on the move and moving together.

And even if the event mobs spawned normally, even as a melee I would have the batch finished off in 15-30 seconds. That makes for a lot of wasted time sitting and waiting for the next spawn to occur.

Reason why alot of people are upset at the event. It takes you 15-30 seconds to kill mob. Casters swoop in hit one key, maybe two and move on.

One other thing that would be nice if they changed is if you could see the event mobs names before you aggro them. Perhaps it was just me, but I saw nothing for names/titles for each event mob until they started aggroing/fighting me, which was just odd.

Kit

I've actually had to be carfull with new spawns as I've wasted my aura burst on groups of undead that had not loaded in or whatever they were doing. Agreed its annoying to see them pop then have to wait 5-10 seconds to get aggro so that they can take damage.

IP Logged

Breaken
Horoluth Raider

Go^Yourself

Reply #7 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
woody wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 8:43pm:
If you have the ability to AOE why not run a pot? I smack a group fo 10 undead with one aura burst and they all go down. Even if they are too low lvl to give me a turn in items I get motes from it.

I must be the most unlucky fuck, I will drink a Mote pot, next thing u know a lowbie grp will be in range and cause half the undead in a spawn to be low level(really cant tell what they are at first) i will go to kill a spawn first Cure kills the low level shit i get the alert then get the neg levels cant cast and get raped, this happened 2 times with in 5 mins of chugging the pot. They really should have at least grped the instances by level.

Quote:
Breaken's just a weird asshole, divorcced and pathetically marvelling at talk of sex.  That guy is fucked IMHO. People I really don't like here list is small.  Not that you or anyone should care, but for me it is Calvet, because he's stupid in a bitchy drama way, and Breaken, but he is a liar and a blunt, inelegant angry guy

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #8 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Breaken wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 9:29pm:
I must be the most unlucky fuck, I will drink a Mote pot, next thing u know a lowbie grp will be in range and cause half the undead in a spawn to be low level(really cant tell what they are at first) i will go to kill a spawn first Cure kills the low level shit i get the alert then get the neg levels cant cast and get raped, this happened 2 times with in 5 mins of chugging the pot. They really should have at least grped the instances by level.

I was thinking I was unlucky as hell because my collectible drop rate is crap. Even when hanging out with 18-20 raid party I cant get skulls, finger bones, or opals worth a shit. And yeah I do think that they should have sectioned it off by lvls like they do with the raid.

IP Logged

k0ukla
Dragon Raider

Reply #9 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
woody wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 9:50pm:
I was thinking I was unlucky as hell because my collectible drop rate is crap. Even when hanging out with 18-20 raid party I cant get skulls, finger bones, or opals worth a shit. And yeah I do think that they should have sectioned it off by lvls like they do with the raid.

I have all that crap and haven't even entered the event yet..

I just want those damn scales :| and some motes would be nice... will try my luck tonight

IP Logged

woody
Shroud Slacker

Pass the popcorn

Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
k0ukla wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:03pm:
I have all that crap and haven't even entered the event yet..

I just want those damn scales :| and some motes would be nice... will try my luck tonight

Good luck getting a key for the event. I have collected almost 5000( prolly a little over that) motes and still have not had a key drop for me. I bought my first one just to see what the dragon raid was like. It was a fun clusterfuck.
« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:08pm by woody »  

IP Logged

k0ukla
Dragon Raider

Reply #11 - Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
woody wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:07pm:
Good luck getting a key for the event. I have collected almost 5000( prolly a little over that) motes and still have not had a key drop for me. I bought my first one just to see what the dragon raid was like. It was a fun clusterfuck.

really? All my guildies told me they got ALOT of keys in the preview event.. they must have changed the drop rates :| I'll just buy em :| I want my handwaps dammit!

IP Logged

Alekx
VoD Slasher

Argonnessen

Reply #12 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 2:32am
Print Post  
tl; dr

~ Pure Life ~ Argonnessen ~

IP Logged

contan
Dragon Raider

The bane of your existence

Reply #13 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 3:31am
Print Post  
I am one of the casters you are talking about.

My cleric can collect 2.5k motes in less than 1 hour. This does not count collectibles turned in. Keys and Vamp fangs add up fast. I had to trade motes for dust.

To solve the problem just play your caster/divine caster or join/make a group with a couple casters in it. 

Keep moving, keep nuknig. Have someone in the group on the return to delera step in the delera chain so you can just pop in the quest run to delera to finish the quest then run back outside completely rested up for more AOE mayhem. This only takes 5 seconds max.

I farm with my cleric to make items for me meele's.

IP Logged

k0ukla
Dragon Raider

Reply #14 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 8:22am
Print Post  
well i got 2.3k motes tonight, a scale, 7 keys, oh & a lich dust  Smiley

IP Logged

Sirea
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:15am
Print Post  
woody wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:07pm:

Hubby dual-screened my account while I was at class last night and I had 4 keys when I came home, and acquired another 2 or 3 after I took my account back.

What pissed me off more about the event is the asshole who kept casting Death Ward on me while I had Lich Stance up, causing me to become immune to my neg energy healing Angry

IP Logged

Natashaelle
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 10:59am
Print Post  
I think nearly everything is fair game -- of course if you're a one-toon kind of person and you've recently TR'd you may be in trouble -- but there's one kind of kill stealers I really CAN'T stand :

It's those who get together a group of arcanes, and deliberately position themselves next to a group including several high-level divines.

ZAP ZAP we get all drops and free high-level spawns and free heals from the suckers to boot...

The farm is boring enough as it is without also having to deal with this kind of childish CRAP.

(not to mention STILL awaiting arrivals of my toons from Europe, so that even the farming that I *can* do is 90% screwed)

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Reply #17 - Oct 28th, 2010 at 11:11am
Print Post  
kitsune_ko wrote on Oct 26th, 2010 at 8:27pm:
While I have earned 9 keys from killing mobs during the previews, I have yet once to complete the raid (well, sort-of-kind-of raid, to be continued...) and apperently some bright dev added that you can trade in 10K essences for a scale, but essences stacks are 9,999 max. Pure win.

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Jax
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Nov 1st, 2010 at 6:16pm
Print Post  
k0ukla wrote on Oct 28th, 2010 at 8:22am:
well i got 2.3k motes tonight, a scale, 7 keys, oh & a lich dust  Smiley

hey ,check your messages tc

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #19 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 7:12am
Print Post  
k0ukla wrote on Oct 27th, 2010 at 10:03pm:
I have all that crap and haven't even entered the event yet.

I just want those damn scales!  Some motes to go along with them would be nice as well.   I will try my luck tonight!

Scales are easy.

Step 1- Download DDO onto a laptop, take to work with you.

Step 2- Stand at the door randomly joining pug groups. 

Step 3- Keep checking the dragon timer.

Step 4- Use one of your free piker keys and enter the dragon raid zone.

Step 5- Success or failure.

Step 6- Repeat 1 thru 5.

You will be kicked when they notice you just standing at the dragon entrance bumming off of their work.  So check back every few mins and announce the dragon timer to the group.  They tend to get to caught up in farming the undead mobs and never check to see what you are up to.  When you announce the dragon timer they figure you are doing something, poor saps.

This method is Epoch approved. 

Also, guaranteed to work for free motes, keys, and scales. 
I personally tested the method and nabbed my handwraps.

Piking FTW!

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

k0ukla
Dragon Raider

Reply #20 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Nov 3rd, 2010 at 7:12am:
Scales are easy.

Step 1- Download DDO onto a laptop, take to work with you.

Step 2- Stand at the door randomly joining pug groups. 

Step 3- Keep checking the dragon timer.

Step 4- Use one of your free piker keys and enter the dragon raid zone.

Step 5- Success or failure.

Step 6- Repeat 1 thru 5.

You will be kicked when they notice you just standing at the dragon entrance bumming off of their work.  So check back every few mins and announce the dragon timer to the group.  They tend to get to caught up in farming the undead mobs and never check to see what you are up to.  When you announce the dragon timer they figure you are doing something, poor saps.

This method is Epoch approved. 

Also, guaranteed to work for free motes, keys, and scales. 
I personally tested the method and nabbed my handwraps.

Piking FTW!

LOL well I didn't do it like that (honestly didn't check back here til now haha), although I did pike while having a flame war in general chat with Mehdick LOL

I just held my own raid groups and dragons all went smoothly

Well except for one there was horrible horrible lag but we still somehow completed, so  I have my handwraps YAY Smiley

IP Logged

kitsune_ko
Titan Demolisher

Reply #21 - Nov 3rd, 2010 at 11:35pm
Print Post  

I had completed 3 cloaks for my various prefered chars over the event, even with taking Halloween off to hand out candy, so I think I did fairly well out of the event.

Though it certainly could have been planned a bit better, and I hope they tweak it for next year, it is leaps and bounds over the Risa "Do the same damn thing over and over, collect ice coins and hope to hell you get something good occasionally" games. And the Mabar event was a lot more fun then endless skating. Bening able to work towards gaining what you want specifically is a lot more effective and enjoyable then going with Risa-style luck of the draw loot.

I will say that I never crafted a cloak above Lv 16. The only difference between a Lv 16 and a Lv 20 cloak is 5/DR good. And honestly, a shield of Light and Darkness gives basically the same effect at Lv 18.

And I would much rather use the cloak between Lv 16-20 with its 10% concealment, 10% invisibility, ghost touch, PK effect, deathblock, +5 stealth skills and stacking with everything +1 AC (or so they say in the *other* forum) rather then having it sit in storage until cap, just for the 5/DR bonus.

I am sure most people would get a lot more use out of the bonuses at Lv 16-20, then at cap. Though if I were at Lv 20 already I would have certainly crafted the epic version.

I was rather happy to hear that cloak-induced invisibility does not break player aggro. I was somewhat worried about that as it would make the cloak a poor choice to use when pugging if aggro was constantly and randomly shifting as peoples invisibility guards were triggering, but it seems Turbine did something right, for once.

I know, I am shocked as well. but by random chance if nothing else, it was bound to happen eventually.

Kit

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint