Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Warforged and Druids (Read 8555 times)
kitsune_ko
Titan Demolisher

Halfling Pali-Rogues FTW!

Warforged and Druids
Nov 11th, 2010 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I had read a post on that *other* forum a month or so back, where someone brought up what I think is an excellent topic for discussion. Reading this topic on Turbine and their usually "creative interpretation" of D&D rules reminded me of this.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=285422

When Druid class is released, should Warforged be allowed to pick it as a class?

I would think under normal D&D rules this would in no way be allowed. Druids would look upon warforged as abominations and as an anti-thesis to the very core of their belief system (an artifically created construct given life) let alone allowing them to join their ranks as a practicing Druid.

Now that Turbine bends D&D rules like a pretzel on whim anyways, I am imagining they will allow Warforged to be Druids. After all it is a VIP/Bought class and the screaming from paying VIPs/purchased race on not being allowed to use the druid class with their shiny robots would be a poor business decision for Turbine.

So, I am wondering how they are possibly going to justify allowing Warforged to be Druids when this class is eventually released? Or are they even going to bother trying to justify twisting D&D rules into knots?

Kit
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2010 at 4:45pm by kitsune_ko »  

"Shiny stuff comes and goes; XP is forever."

2008-10-15: Full frontal Nerdity

IP Logged

Nevynn
Horoluth Raider

Badgertastic!!

Re: Warforged and Druids
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
kitsune_ko wrote on Nov 11th, 2010 at 4:39pm:
I had read a post on that *other* forum a month or so back, where someone brought up what I think is an excellent topic for discussion. Reading this topic on Turbine and their usually "creative interpretation" of D&D rules reminded me of this.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=285422

When Druid class is released, should Warforged be allowed to pick it as a class?

I would think under normal D&D rules this would in no way be allowed. Druids would look upon warforged as abominations and as an anti-thesis to the very core of their belief system (an artifically created construct given life) let alone allowing them to join their ranks as a practicing Druid.

Now that Turbine bends D&D rules like a pretzel on whim anyways, I am imagining they will allow Warforged to be Druids. After all it is a VIP/Bought class and the screaming from paying VIPs/purchased race on not being allowed to use the druid class with their shiny robots would be a poor business decision for Turbine.

So, I am wondering how they are possibly going to justify allowing Warforged to be Druids when this class is eventually released? Or are they even going to bother trying to justify twisting D&D rules into knots?

Kit

Take what you know of D&D in Faerun-esque settings and toss it out the window.  You ain't in Cormyr anymore son.  Eberron is a whole different place.

WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

- Jay
Korthos Resident

RAWR~!

Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
the day they start restricting classes based on classes would be the day i quit, since it'd mean they're getting closer to becoming like WoW =_=

AIM  
IP Logged

Memnir
Shroud Slacker

A little bit different

Reply #3 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
In Pen and Paper D&D, WF are mostly wood and rock - with very little metal included in their manufacture. Much less then DDO's body models would imply. So, they can be Druids providing they don't take the Mithril or Adamantine body feats. Other Druids' opinions of WF can vary - between being as negative towards them as you describe, to embracing them as a new form of sentient life to. My favorite character I ever played in Eberron PnP was a WF Druid. Smiley 

I think DDO will follow the same basic rules - blocking out all Druid spells and abilities should a WF take either body feat. This is also assuming we ever see Druids... which at the present rate of new classes being added should be in another year and a half or so.
« Last Edit: Nov 11th, 2010 at 10:40pm by Memnir »  

To stop a nosebleed: apply pressure
To start a nosebleed: apply greater pressure in short, rapid bursts

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Nevynn wrote on Nov 11th, 2010 at 5:50pm:
Take what you know of D&D in Faerun-esque settings and toss it out the window.  You ain't in Cormyr anymore son.  Eberron is a whole different place.

This.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Mastertool
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Nov 11th, 2010 at 11:43pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Mister_Peace
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Nov 12th, 2010 at 5:34pm
Print Post  
Keith Baker says WF druids are, in some ways, more druidy than fleshy druids.

IP Logged

Ashurr
Stormreaver Piker

C'est le bonton roulette

Reply #7 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
The Druid sects in  Eberron are far more concerned with keeping Outsiders, well, out of Eberron than the typical tree-hugging  Druid you find in most other Campaign worlds. Besides, WF are composed entirely of metal plating overlaying cords of Bronzewood - yes, WF are "green".
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2010 at 12:31pm by Ashurr »  

Keith Baker asks me questions about Eberron

Alekx wrote on Nov 29th, 2010 at 11:32am:
You were right, you win this round scotsman.

IP Logged

kitsune_ko
Titan Demolisher

Halfling Pali-Rogues FTW!

Reply #8 - Nov 13th, 2010 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
Well, all I can say I am glad I never campaigned in Eberron, I would have been completely lost instantly.

Or as it was put in The Simpsons Halloween Special V - voiced by guest-star James Earl Jones, "This is indeed a disturbing universe"

Kit
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2010 at 4:12pm by kitsune_ko »  

"Shiny stuff comes and goes; XP is forever."

2008-10-15: Full frontal Nerdity

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #9 - Nov 15th, 2010 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Mister_Peace wrote on Nov 12th, 2010 at 5:34pm:
Keith Baker says WF druids are, in some ways, more druidy than fleshy druids.

More importantly, they do not die of old age.  Just think of how powerful a WF druid from the last 400 years could be just grinding out XP!

Yes, I powergame in PnP as well... It is usually not appreciated.  Hence why I am banned from monks (ac/saves immortality) and all spellcasters, including rangers and paladins.

The Paladin was just because he specialized in divination and kill the group in their sleep so the future he saw where they become leaders of different evil cults would not come true.  It was my sweet sweet revenge.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Reply #10 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
Ironwood Body = WF Druids work just fine. Also...

Epoch wrote on Nov 15th, 2010 at 4:00pm:
More importantly, they do not die of old age.  Just think of how powerful a WF druid from the last 400 years could be just grinding out XP!

WF aren't the only long lived race. Thing is, they were recently created. And the cop out for the others is that they're lazy fuckers who live ten times as long, but take ten times as long to do everything.

Yes, elves are so fucking retarded they need a century or so to be considered adults. Yet, they're supposed to be good Wizards... The smart class... Yeah... /rant

Quote:
Yes, I powergame in PnP as well... It is usually not appreciated.  Hence why I am banned from monks (ac/saves immortality) and all spellcasters, including rangers and paladins.

AHAHAHA! *breathes* HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Now I like you, and you were dead on about full spellcasters being often but Paladins and Rangers? Pfft, in PnP they're monster bait, just like all the other gimps. And Monks. Saying Monks are good for anything except giving XP and loot to the enemy in PnP is like saying that 20 Dex 6 Con characters are viable in DDO. The real characters can slaughter them at will, en masse. If the DM has a sense of humor, they actually will do exactly this.

Quote:
The Paladin was just because he specialized in divination and kill the group in their sleep so the future he saw where they become leaders of different evil cults would not come true.  It was my sweet sweet revenge.

How the fuck did you manage this?

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #11 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Nov 16th, 2010 at 4:48pm:
How the fuck did you manage this?

My guess is shitty DM.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #12 - Nov 16th, 2010 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Nov 16th, 2010 at 5:35pm:
My guess is shitty DM.

Obv.

After all, you'd have to try hard not to slaughter a Monk. I don't care how good you are at building them, you'll have at best average saves, an auto hit AC, and shit DPS. Even the guy who is perhaps the sole advocate for optimized Monks pretty much comes right out and says this is not a good class, good Monks have as few Monk levels as possible, and don't expect to hit the broad side of a barn. Cheesy

When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #13 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 3:25am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Nov 16th, 2010 at 5:35pm:
My guess is shitty DM.

Correctamundo.

I took full advantage of it.  I feel no shame.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #14 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 3:32am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Nov 16th, 2010 at 6:06pm:
Obv.

After all, you'd have to try hard not to slaughter a Monk. I don't care how good you are at building them, you'll have at best average saves, an auto hit AC, and shit DPS. Even the guy who is perhaps the sole advocate for optimized Monks pretty much comes right out and says this is not a good class, good Monks have as few Monk levels as possible, and don't expect to hit the broad side of a barn. Cheesy

The only good monk only has about 2-4 levels of monk.  The rest is different prestige classes/psionic classes. 

Really, I cannot be blamed for taking full advantage of all books.  The idiot DM allowed them as well as the dragon magazines.  Honestly, he was asking for it...

"Never bite off more then you can chew"

It is a pretty old saying, one that he apparently never took to heart.
« Last Edit: Nov 17th, 2010 at 3:35am by Epoch »  

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #15 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 3:32am:
The only good monk only has about 1-2 levels of monk.  The rest is different prestige classes/psionic classes. 

Really, I cannot be blamed for taking full advantage of all books.  The idiot DM allowed them as well as the dragon magazines.  Honestly, he was asking for it...

"Never bite off more then you can chew"

It is a pretty old saying, one that he apparently never took to heart.

Fixed. But him being a shitty DM had nothing to do with allowing all books, I do that all the time. It had to do with the fact he was honestly unable to challenge fail tier classes like the Monk, the Paladin, and the Ranger.

Which means if I showed up with even a half decent god tier class, I'd cause the game to immediately explode and implode. At the same time.

But for amusement purposes, exactly what stats did this character have and at what levels? Curious to know how big of a fail this DM was.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #16 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 9:39am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 9:07am:
Fixed. But him being a shitty DM had nothing to do with allowing all books, I do that all the time. It had to do with the fact he was honestly unable to challenge fail tier classes like the Monk, the Paladin, and the Ranger.

Which means if I showed up with even a half decent god tier class, I'd cause the game to immediately explode and implode. At the same time.

But for amusement purposes, exactly what stats did this character have and at what levels? Curious to know how big of a fail this DM was.

It was his third time DMing.  He also knows that I will take advantage of the situation and create some retardedly broken build... Well, they just seem that way since he is a shitty DM. 

The stats? Umm, I would need to find the sheets if I still have them.  I'll scrounge around later today.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #17 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 9:57am
Print Post  
That would explain it then. Those types are common among new players and...

Does Mr. Fail DM visit the Paizo boards? Because that kind of retardation is right up their alley.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #18 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 11:37am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 9:57am:
That would explain it then. Those types are common among new players and...

Does Mr. Fail DM visit the Paizo boards? Because that kind of retardation is right up their alley.

I wouldn't doubt it.  In fact, I would bet on it.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #19 - Nov 17th, 2010 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 11:37am:
I wouldn't doubt it.  In fact, I would bet on it.

Well, it's easy to find out. Was he the type to be a complete and utter retard if anyone took a Charisma score lower than 10? If he is, congrats. You found a Paizil (Paizo + Fail).

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #20 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 5:16am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Nov 17th, 2010 at 4:50pm:
Well, it's easy to find out. Was he the type to be a complete and utter retard if anyone took a Charisma score lower than 10? If he is, congrats. You found a Paizil (Paizo + Fail).

Don't know, he was into the whole talking spiel of d&d.  So I had a genuinely high charsima.  This way, I could convince party members of stupid shit.  His gamestyle, he chose it, not me.  Which is part of the reason why shitastic characters seemed powerful.  When you can convince an NPC jobs are done while the rest of the group is out doing it.. all that xp and loot goes to one person, ME!

Which reminds me, who the fuck gives shitty npcs low skill checks that give awesome items?  Isn't that DMing 101?
« Last Edit: Nov 18th, 2010 at 5:17am by Epoch »  

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #21 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 5:16am:
Don't know, he was into the whole talking spiel of d&d.  So I had a genuinely high charsima.  This way, I could convince party members of stupid shit.  His gamestyle, he chose it, not me.  Which is part of the reason why shitastic characters seemed powerful.  When you can convince an NPC jobs are done while the rest of the group is out doing it.. all that xp and loot goes to one person, ME!

Which reminds me, who the fuck gives shitty npcs low skill checks that give awesome items?  Isn't that DMing 101?

Fail DMs of course. I'm assuming you mean they had items, but it was easy for you to persuade them to give them to you?

But that definitely sounds like a Paizil. If you go over there right now you'll find at least a half dozen threads, and possibly more all about people bitching about Charisma. And the only reason why they're doing it is because a certain high Charisma troll correctly pointed out that their point buy system is incredibly abusable (more than 3.5) so if you want free power, regardless of the PB value of the game just take a 7 in a stat you don't care about. And Charisma was the most likely to qualify, followed by Strength. And the strong classes had the most stats they don't care about, which just means low PB powers up the best characters and kicks everyone else in the nuts.

Of course none of this got the intended message across to them, that being that they should just stop being retarded and use the highest PB, since it makes no power difference for the real classes and might just make the other classes stop being so gimpy. I mean really, when the already weak classes are forced to run around with an effective primary stat of 12 while the real classes get maxed prime stats and a solid Con... Well they are Paizils, and thus subhuman by definition.

Anyways, point is find a DM who doesn't fail at life. This is admittedly difficult because even though the market share right now is something like 60% 3.5, 20% 4th edition, 20% Pathfailure that's still 40% of all games that suck automatically. And that's before getting into the many clueless noobs in 3.5. People like myself, Aspenor, etc who have a clue are unfortunately in a minority.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #22 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 8:48am:
Fail DMs of course. I'm assuming you mean they had items, but it was easy for you to persuade them to give them to you?

But that definitely sounds like a Paizil. If you go over there right now you'll find at least a half dozen threads, and possibly more all about people bitching about Charisma. And the only reason why they're doing it is because a certain high Charisma troll correctly pointed out that their point buy system is incredibly abusable (more than 3.5) so if you want free power, regardless of the PB value of the game just take a 7 in a stat you don't care about. And Charisma was the most likely to qualify, followed by Strength. And the strong classes had the most stats they don't care about, which just means low PB powers up the best characters and kicks everyone else in the nuts.

Of course none of this got the intended message across to them, that being that they should just stop being retarded and use the highest PB, since it makes no power difference for the real classes and might just make the other classes stop being so gimpy. I mean really, when the already weak classes are forced to run around with an effective primary stat of 12 while the real classes get maxed prime stats and a solid Con... Well they are Paizils, and thus subhuman by definition.

Anyways, point is find a DM who doesn't fail at life. This is admittedly difficult because even though the market share right now is something like 60% 3.5, 20% 4th edition, 20% Pathfailure that's still 40% of all games that suck automatically. And that's before getting into the many clueless noobs in 3.5. People like myself, Aspenor, etc who have a clue are unfortunately in a minority.

I live in North Pole, Alaska.  My pickings are very slim, when there are some.  Sad really  :/

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #23 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 10:44am:
I live in North Pole, Alaska.  My pickings are very slim, when there are some.  Sad really  :/ 

But you can see Russia!

You betcha!

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #24 - Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:40am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 10:47am:
But you can see Russia!

You betcha!

You forgot I get to live in -75 degree weather for 1~3 weeks.  Then anywhere inbetween -20 to -60 for several months.

While it doesn't bother me that much, I love seeing people and their first time here.  Especially the woman.  They will put on their makeup, get something in their eye, then wipe their eye.  After that, they have no eyelashes or eyebrows!  It's great comedy, and never gets old!

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint