Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Good player/Better player (Read 4125 times)
flynnjsw
Shroud Slacker

F U All!!!!!!

Good player/Better player
Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:04am
Print Post  
I consider myself a pretty good player. I know I am not the best player, I know my limitations fairly well, and I know that there are ways to get better. What I want to know, mostly from those that have run with me; what can I do to be a better player. Anyone that has not run with me and has general advice would be helpful as well.

Also, is there a ToD Ring planner like there is for Greensteel? I pulled my first ring yesterday so I need to start looking at what I want to add to it.

If this would be better suited in the Guides section or anywhere else, feel free to move it.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:05am by flynnjsw »  

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Re: Good player/Better player
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:10am
Print Post  
flynnjsw wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:04am:
I consider myself a pretty good player. I know I am not the best player, I know my limitations fairly well, and I know that there are ways to get better. What I want to know, mostly from those that have run with me; what can I do to be a better player. Anyone that has not run with me and has general advice would be helpful as well.

Also, is there a ToD Ring planner like there is for Greensteel? I pulled my first ring yesterday so I need to start looking at what I want to add to it.

If this would be better suited in the Guides section or anywhere else, feel free to move it.

Flynn,

I use the wiki to make my rings. I will find the link for you and post here.

Here
http://ddowiki.com/page/Incredible_Potential
and here
http://ddowiki.com/page/Altar_of_Subjugation_-_Raw_Ingredients_Recipes
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:12am by stainer »  

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:41am
Print Post  

Advice is hard to give when some people have no clue as to what you play...

Con is not a  dump stat!  Cheesy

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

flynnjsw
Shroud Slacker

F U All!!!!!!

Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:41am:
Advice is hard to give when some people have no clue as to what you play...

Con is not a  dump stat!  Cheesy

My main, and my first capped character is Paladdium a Wf Paladin. My second is Cmbtcorpsman, a Human Evoker FvS. Paladdium is actually going to be TR'd probably friday night/Saturday to a Soul Survivor WF FvS.

Con not being a dump stat is something I know for sure...lol.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:46am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:10am:
Flynn,

I use the wiki to make my rings. I will find the link for you and post here.

Here
http://ddowiki.com/page/Incredible_Potential
and here
http://ddowiki.com/page/Altar_of_Subjugation_-_Raw_Ingredients_Recipes

I do the same and never have had an issue.  (Rahkirs and Ravager)

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:58am
Print Post  
I consider myself a pretty good player. I know I am not the best player, I know my limitations fairly well, and I know that there are ways to get better.

I think you have everything you need to get better in that statement. Knowing your limitations, improving your equipment, and learning the quests (repetitiveness) is a good way to improve. Playing with different people and different styles is a good way to learn too.

Example -
I have leveled lowbies a few times now. There is zerg and then there is "omg, we just finished this quest in 5 mins and it usually takes 30". Leveling with Breaken, or Mts is like that that. Breaken is easier on you, he will wait and explain stuff. Mts expects you to know where you need to be most of the time and that you can take care of yourself. Running like that puts a lot of pressure on you to get better.

30 mins with Aranticus is still the most I improved at any one time. He knows his stuff.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

flynnjsw
Shroud Slacker

F U All!!!!!!

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 11:56am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:58am:
I think you have everything you need to get better in that statement. Knowing your limitations, improving your equipment, and learning the quests (repetitiveness) is a good way to improve. Playing with different people and different styles is a good way to learn too.

Example -
I have leveled lowbies a few times now. There is zerg and then there is "omg, we just finished this quest in 5 mins and it usually takes 30". Leveling with Breaken, or Mts is like that that. Breaken is easier on you, he will wait and explain stuff. Mts expects you to know where you need to be most of the time and that you can take care of yourself. Running like that puts a lot of pressure on you to get better.

30 mins with Aranticus is still the most I improved at any one time. He knows his stuff.

I know that there are some ares that I need to learn a lot better. Like Gianthold; Pala completly skipped GH in his first life. Cmbt had a bunch of relics passed to him, so he only had to run the quests once each. I know Vale failry well, and I can find the quests in Amarath. Sands I am actually getting better at; I can reliably find may way to OOB, Wiz-King (which is the easiest obv), and ADQ1 reliably. CoF on the other hand... As far as the Raids go; I have really only solo'd Chrono, VoN 5 I need to learn ( I can find my way to the top, but the other parts like the Voice and that stuff still get me lost), I need to learn how to do the switches in Reaver, Shroud I am comfortable enough to lead, VoD I am comfortable enough to lead, HoX I can lead but I still have a bit of an issue getting there without following the herd, and ToD I could probably lead with people I knew.

IP Logged

TWDiggs
Mr. Infraction

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 1:55pm
Print Post  

Download the crafting planner from here.
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=137347
It has some pretty cool feature including a puzzle solver for just about every puzzle in the game.

stainer wrote on Oct 5th, 2011 at 1:29pm:
Everyday that you aren't banned, is a borrowed day.

Grace wrote on Dec 2nd, 2012 at 8:31pm:
Well, you're a godless heathen, anyway. I would totally wear my rape whistle around you.
YIM  
IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #8 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
Yeah, that's the link I was trying to find to send to you via PM.  Couldn't find it.  It's very handy, and runs outside a browser function on the PC.  Oftentimes, I use that to track raid timers/plan crafting for shroud and tod.

If you are running with the big dogs I'd say you are coming along just fine.  Anything you'd need to pick up along the way is either being taught or demonstrated for you.  The pace can be a problem sometimes, which means you may want to consider pugging some too.

I had the honor of running with Aranticus on occasion when he had pugs going.  The same is true of some of the more notable players here and the official forum.  Some of what they pass to you in terms of knowledge doesn't flower until you are running your own groups or in someone else's.  At least, that's how it's gone for me so far.  You end up appreciating help like that more when you find yourself on your own in a tight spot within a group.

As a fairly new player myself I'd also mention that knowing what you can't or have trouble doing really helps.  You'd be surprised at how many people that know more speak up and help you out. Smiley

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #9 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
flynnjsw wrote on Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:43am:
My main, and my first capped character is Paladdium a Wf Paladin. My second is Cmbtcorpsman, a Human Evoker FvS. Paladdium is actually going to be TR'd probably friday night/Saturday to a Soul Survivor WF FvS.

Con not being a dump stat is something I know for sure...lol.

Well I missed most of it, and it was already stated.  If you played on Argo I could help out more.  Always happy to analyze any build you have though  Smiley  I do it for several guilds on Argo, it really is my favorite part of the game.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
Breaken is easier on you, he will wait and explain stuff. Mts expects you to know where you need to be most of the time and that you can take care of yourself. Running like that puts a lot of pressure on you to get better.

Eh if you had a toon on argo runs with me would be very similar to  Mts, whomever that is.  I only explain stuff in raids, this is just because i want to make sure everyone knows what they are doing, and when they fuck up, they cannot use the excuse i didnt know.  Because I will call them out, then I will fucking bitch and whine about it.  I hate failure, I do no tolerate it, even with my guildies.  Part of the reason I am not an officer  anymore i assume, I will boot the fucker the causes me to fail my raid.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Breaken
Horoluth Raider

Go^Yourself

Reply #11 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 9:38pm
Print Post  

Example -

Very true, Me and mt leveled or wizards up together was tons of fun. And yes when i am leveling in a grp i will give general directions and shit like that while i am zerging off.

But have a low tolerance for tard, i think i may have an allergy should get that tested.
I think anytime me and shug ran together it was just a giant pissing contest, but we always kept it friendly with respect for each other, he will be missed

Quote:
Breaken's just a weird asshole, divorcced and pathetically marvelling at talk of sex.  That guy is fucked IMHO. People I really don't like here list is small.  Not that you or anyone should care, but for me it is Calvet, because he's stupid in a bitchy drama way, and Breaken, but he is a liar and a blunt, inelegant angry guy

IP Logged

Breaken
Horoluth Raider

Go^Yourself

Reply #12 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 9:39pm
Print Post  

Guild website has link to the crafter/puzzlesolver/maps/raidtimer etc..

Quote:
Breaken's just a weird asshole, divorcced and pathetically marvelling at talk of sex.  That guy is fucked IMHO. People I really don't like here list is small.  Not that you or anyone should care, but for me it is Calvet, because he's stupid in a bitchy drama way, and Breaken, but he is a liar and a blunt, inelegant angry guy

IP Logged

Milton
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
What I want to know, mostly from those that have run with me; what can I do to be a better player. Anyone that has not run with me and has general advice would be helpful as well.

General advice...

Do you know your limitations? Good, now minimize or remove those limitations through play style and/or gear.

Never use a solver, they are crutches and it doesn't take long at all to understand puzzles and how they can be solved. Also using your brain helps you to think critically, which also can benefit you in game.

Ambition is key, don't be afraid of dying... it happens.

You've prolly mastered the whole Zerg/Smash way of playing, maybe start trying some more elegant solutions. There's always more than one way to skin an emu.

Know the game... and by know I mean, have personal knowledge of it. Take everything said by "The community" with a very large grain of salt, and then go test it and see for yourself... or use your melon to find ways around it.

IP Logged

- Jay
Korthos Resident

RAWR~!

Reply #14 - Jan 27th, 2011 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
my personal philosophy to not suck
"rely not on your equipment, but on your abilities"
Cheesy:D:D:D

AIM  
IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 12:32am
Print Post  
You did awesome healing on Cmbt in Axer's first run. I wanted to ask him to put you on base 1 with me though. That WF FvS was a bit slow on heals >.>

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #16 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 7:02am
Print Post  
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2011 at 6:09pm by Astraghal »  

IP Logged

Chris79
Stormreaver Piker

Wanna a lollipop?

Reply #17 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Astraghal wrote on Jan 28th, 2011 at 7:02am:
I can teach you to be uber, but I charge by the minute. Grin

I'll give you the first lesson for free:

Don't kill the puppies in hound, I saw you kill one the other day while flailing about wildly with your 2-hander.

It caught a proc of someone's earthgrab guard and you killed it.

Maybe it wouldn't have died if it wasn't in auto-crit, but you were totally oblivious of it and sloppy play like that is the root of all failure. Smiley

That advice could have been delivered without the stick taken from your own ass

Just sayin is all....

-----------------------------------------------
Pyrric, Drilltex, Drilltor, Drillsworn - Khyber

IP Logged

flynnjsw
Shroud Slacker

F U All!!!!!!

Reply #18 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 11:40am
Print Post  
Astraghal wrote on Jan 28th, 2011 at 7:02am:
I can teach you to be uber, but I charge by the minute. Grin

I'll give you the first lesson for free:

Don't kill the puppies in hound, I saw you kill one the other day while flailing about wildly with your 2-hander.

It caught a proc of someone's earthgrab guard and you killed it.

Maybe it wouldn't have died if it wasn't in auto-crit, but you were totally oblivious of it and sloppy play like that is the root of all failure. Smiley

You're right, I was totally oblivious to it. I am not going to bother trying to give YOU an explanation for it however.

IP Logged

flynnjsw
Shroud Slacker

F U All!!!!!!

Reply #19 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Quote:
You did awesome healing on Cmbt in Axer's first run. I wanted to ask him to put you on base 1 with me though. That WF FvS was a bit slow on heals >.>

Thanks. The thing that makes me nervous about healing in situations like that is knockdown. I know in most of the Raids you have multiple healers, but in standard quests I am usually solo healing, and knockdown at a bad time can cause an unneccisary death. Actually typing that out makes me realize that it is something I need to improve on.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jan 28th, 2011 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
flynnjsw wrote on Jan 28th, 2011 at 11:45am:
Thanks. The thing that makes me nervous about healing in situations like that is knockdown. I know in most of the Raids you have multiple healers, but in standard quests I am usually solo healing, and knockdown at a bad time can cause an unneccisary death. Actually typing that out makes me realize that it is something I need to improve on.

There are no Con6/Balance15 Belts in the game though...not even RR =(

IP Logged

Astraghal
Abbot Raider

Reply #21 - Jan 29th, 2011 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
« Last Edit: Apr 6th, 2011 at 6:10pm by Astraghal »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint