Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Shroud - role of a caster (Read 8500 times)
Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Shroud - role of a caster
Jan 30th, 2011 at 6:08am
Print Post  
Hey everybody. F.irst post on the Vault, hi, etc.

First up, I've only been playing DDO a year; I came in with FTP. I've only run one character (a Paladin) up to cap, so my knowledge of the late game is pretty spotty. Next toon up is a wizard, who's approaching 17th when I'll be wanting to take him into the Shroud.

I've run the Shroud a few times now, enough to know what I'm supposed to be doing as a DPS player, but with all the Pally button mashing, I've never really had time to pay attention to what the casters are doing. I don't really want to waste eleven other people's time by being unprepared, and most of the guides I can find tend to be chaotic, old or sarcastic enough that I'm not sure how right they are. So, this is a rather long and wordy post, and maybe you'll think I'm an idiot for having to ask. That's fine: I'd rather be an idiot here and know the answers than the idiot who just screwed up a Shroud run.

Start: Buffs. Resist Fire, Haste, Rage, GH. Others on request?
Part 1: Roam around killing trash with WoB to prevent portal keeper spawning. Kill portal keepers on appearance.
Part 2: Disco ball in the south centre, WoB trash. Help prep bosses, get to the centre and break the crystal when the shield drops. (Firewall plus a polar ray / disintegrate?)
Part 3: Solve puzzles. Knock locks if anybody needs help. Carry water if not.
Part 4: Disco Ball on trash. Throw damage at Harry. Kill gnolls if they appear.
Part 5: Re buff, kill lieutenants, help kill Harry.

Also, I'm not really specced for single-target nuking. Being a mostly solo'd build, I went for Ench/Necro Archmage, and my Polar Rays aren't going to impress anybody at the moment. I've maxed out the Fire/Ice enhancement lines, but I don't have a damage-boosting item better than a Sup Pot VI sceptre. Do Freeze VIII clickies exist?

TL;DR - Casting n00b. What's expected of me in the Shroud?

Boatman (Wiz20), Cannula (Pal20), Jacad (Clr15), buncha lowbie alts
Guild: Property Damage
Argonessen

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Re: Shroud - role of a caster
Reply #1 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 6:23am
Print Post  
In addition to Dance Ball in part 2, Landing a few Mass Holds will net you reinvites as well. For the crystal, just bake it in the FW..soon as it takes dmg, nuke it. Otherwise, you're job is to buff, Mass Hold and Pike. in that order usually.

IP Logged

Raincloud
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 6:30am
Print Post  
Mass Hold works extremely well in place or addition to Disco Ball.

As for the Crystal, before the shield comes down do the following:

1. Hit Max/Emp/Heighten/Extend
2. Go into mouse look ("T" key for most people)
3. Aim the little white circle on the crystal.
4. As soon as the first LT. dies, throw a firewall using the corresponding hotbar key. I usually throw 2 for lag measure.
5. Shield goes down, Disintergrate, Fireball, or whatever single target damage spell.
6. ?????
7. Profit

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 6:38am
Print Post  
Ahh, now Mass Holds I can do.

I very rarely seem to see holds go off when I'm Shrouding on my Paladin, so I had assumed the devils were probably immune. That said, those fights are usually so messy with spell effects it's hard to see what's happening, and things die so fast when you're autocritting, maybe I just didn't notice.

Also: Heighten? Do crystals get saves?
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2011 at 6:39am by Boatman »  

Argonessen

IP Logged

Raincloud
Waterworks Kobold

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 6:55am
Print Post  
I just hit everything. What else are you going to use your mana on in part 2?

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Boatman wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 6:08am:
I've run the Shroud a few times now, enough to know what I'm supposed to be doing as a DPS player, but with all the Pally button mashing, I've never really had time to pay attention to what the casters are doing. I don't really want to waste eleven other people's time by being unprepared, and most of the guides I can find tend to be chaotic, old or sarcastic enough that I'm not sure how right they are. So, this is a rather long and wordy post, and maybe you'll think I'm an idiot for having to ask. That's fine: I'd rather be an idiot here and know the answers than the idiot who just screwed up a Shroud run.

Start: Buffs. Resist Fire, Haste, Rage, GH. Others on request?
Part 1: Roam around killing trash with WoB to prevent portal keeper spawning. Kill portal keepers on appearance.
Part 2: Disco ball in the south centre, WoB trash. Help prep bosses, get to the centre and break the crystal when the shield drops. (Firewall plus a polar ray / disintegrate?)
Part 3: Solve puzzles. Knock locks if anybody needs help. Carry water if not.
Part 4: Disco Ball on trash. Throw damage at Harry. Kill gnolls if they appear.
Part 5: Re buff, kill lieutenants, help kill Harry.

Also, I'm not really specced for single-target nuking. Being a mostly solo'd build, I went for Ench/Necro Archmage, and my Polar Rays aren't going to impress anybody at the moment. I've maxed out the Fire/Ice enhancement lines, but I don't have a damage-boosting item better than a Sup Pot VI sceptre. Do Freeze VIII clickies exist?

TL;DR - Casting n00b. What's expected of me in the Shroud?

First things first, get flagged, very important step.  I cannot explain how significant this step is, it is just that monumental.

Only buffs you need, haste and rage.  You CAN use fire resist if there are no paladins or rangers.  I mean really, what the hell are they doing with the blue bars, right? Also, GH? WTF, comes on a belt and a necklace.  Tell em to use the charge.  If they dont have one, tell them when they get one, they will appreciate it all the more.

What you have for PT 1 is almost correct.  If portalkeepers spawn, throw dd's everywhere then telly out.

PT 2 was said, but I will clarify.  Think of it when you were on your paladin, what would of made all that trash in a big pile faster to kill? That's right, mass hold.  Just throw 3 firewalls on the crystal after the first name goes down.  It will die almost instantly.

PT 3 your job is to learn how to do all the puzzles quickly in your head.  At a glance and you should be able to do them, maybe 2 glances if you are just above retarded, like 75~90 on the IQ scale.  Always run your own water before helping noobs that refuse to learn how to a simple fucking 3x3, and the even easier 4x4.  Almost all noobs pull up a solver for the 5x5, so dont worry about it so much.  After doing peoples puzzles for them, mock and ridicule them.  Also, for those that CAN do their own puzzles, go in and fuck em up.  Just cuz you can.  Also, grease people, grease their puzzles, grease them when they run near a rune and trigger it while healing yourself.  The goal is to kill them.  The trick, you cannot use any kind of item or spell that would make you immune to grease or sleetstorm.

PT 4 is wrong.  Never use disco ball, in fact, get rid of the stupid spell.  Mass hold the trash then grease it.  If it goes for 2 rounds then throw a dd up on the melee and say I am out of here, fuck you gimp retards, then telly out.

For part 5, haste and rage, then GO!  Fuck any other buff.  If they need a fire, hit up the ranger or paladin.  If there are no rangers or paladins, or the ones in their are to fucking retarded to have resist loaded, relieve the burden from the clerics and fire resist everyone.  Only under those 2 circumstances though.  Just throw a fresh haste and rage for harry and then polar ray the shit out of him.  Noone knows you dont have potency so dont worry about it.   When you do get potency then you can think to yourself, "nice, I do more dmg".  Also, superior freeze 8 comes on a belt in ToD and Bastion of power called Telvi's Sash.

Remember, save the last 100 sp or so to grease the fuck out of everyone when harry gets down to 10%.

This is the official be an ass and yet useful strategy guide for casters in the shroud.

PS- whenever I say grease I mean either grease or sleet storm or whatever you use to annoy the  shit out of people.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 7:55am
Print Post  
Some people stongly object to disco balls in both part 2 and part 4.  Their computer can't handle the additional load and they experience additional lag because of it.  If you can toss out a few Mass Holds, then the disco ball isn't nearly as important and a Web or two can take the place of the Disco.

In part 4, I usually lay down 4 nice, hot firewalls because I like the asterisk/star pattern that they make on the crystal.  Smiley  I want that crystal to break the instant that the last lieutenant dies and if I have a few Maximised, Empowered, Extended firewalls on the crystal, then I can even step out of the crystal area to throw a few ice spells on Fire if I need to. 

Just be *really* careful about not letting the firewalls time out if you do that.

Harry has True Seeing, so passing Blur or Displacement is a waste unless there is one supremely squishy character that you think might die during the trash fight before Harry drops down.  If someone is going to die during the trash fight, though, they probably weren't going to contribute much during the boss fight either.

In spite of the True Seeing, you can still drop an Acid Fog or Cloudkill in the center where Harry drops down for a concealment effect.  There is a difference between hiding the party with an illusion and concealing the party with a cloudy physical obstruction.

Waves of Exhaustion has been nerfed/fixed (depending on your perspective), but it's still not a bad spell to cast. 

If you save a little bit of your blue bar in part 4, you can have enough for a new Haste and Rage if the fight goes to two rounds and then throw down a Wail or three on the Gnolls that pop up, but other than that, dump your mana at Harry by cycling through Frost Lance, Polar Ray and whatever Force spells you happen to have loaded.  Even if you're doing garbage for damage, people will see you casting and they'll know you're putting in the effort.  I figure that part is like a crappy melee who has poor DPS, but at least had the decency to bring weapons that will bypass the boss's DR.

One final thought for casting in the Shroud: I have never seen a Shroud fail when the party had Merfolks Blessing cast on them at the beginning of each phase.  Sure, there is no causal link between the spell and success in the Shroud, but my experience shows a 100% correlation between the two.

fnord

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 7:36am:
mean, but accurate advice snipped

Epoch's advice here is really mean, but also very accurate and useful.

fnord

IP Logged

Cabocleer
Korthos Resident

Um, yeah, whatever.

Reply #8 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 9:14am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 7:55am:
One final thought for casting in the Shroud: I have never seen a Shroud fail when the party had Merfolks Blessing cast on them at the beginning of each phase.  Sure, there is no causal link between the spell and success in the Shroud, but my experience shows a 100% correlation between the two.

The pools in Part III (end) and Part V will recharge your blue bar if you run back and forth through them (i.e. after buffing but before frost-nuking begins).  Merfolk's Blessing buffs your swim speed, and thus speeds mana regen. The rangers should refill their bars after casting FR.   

Some parties may want to just move on to the next section  while you're swimming, and trying to get the rangers to bathe for once.  This is regrettable, but it seems nothing can be done about it.

Making it weirder for some time now.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #9 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Quote:
In addition to Dance Ball in part 2, Landing a few Mass Holds will net you reinvites as well. For the crystal, just bake it in the FW..soon as it takes dmg, nuke it. Otherwise, you're job is to buff, Mass Hold and Pike. in that order usually.

If you cast that fucking ball in my shroud, I will fucking kill you.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Milton
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 12:12pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 7:55am:
Some people stongly object to disco balls in both part 2 and part 4.  Their computer can't handle the additional load and they experience additional lag because of it.  If you can toss out a few Mass Holds, then the disco ball isn't nearly as important and a Web or two can take the place of the Disco.

I usually request people that only 1 disco ball be thrown down at these points... it does slow down my game a little... but its more for the fact that I can't see through 5 bloody Disco balls, 4 mind fogs and 1 solid fog.

Its the best example of overkill you can get in the game... coming a close second are all the disco balls in Reavers fate.

One will do people... one will do.

IP Logged

Rastelin
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Don't listen to Epoch, throw disco balls everywhere. The more the better. Here is your role:

Part 1: Throw discoballs over all the portals that spawn. Don't kill anything, the melee get pissed if you do because they like to kill things.
Part 2: Disco ball the entire center field. I normally put up at least 3 to make things easy on the healers. After you do that, put a Dancing Ball on the crystal so if anything spawns from it, you'll be safe. Then yell at the gimp arcane archer who joined to stop piking and kill the crystal.
Part 3: Dancing ball the corridors to cc the blades while running around hitting the circular switches that open the secret chests underwater. If they don't open after your first try, they reset, so try to do it faster.
Part 4: CC the trash at the beginning with about 4  disco balls (2 in front, 2 behind), and 2 grease or ice storm spells. Then cast an ice storm on Harry and /afk.
Part 5: Same as Part 4

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #12 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Rastelin wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 12:44pm:
Don't listen to Epoch, throw disco balls everywhere. The more the better. Here is your role:

Part 1: Throw discoballs over all the portals that spawn. Don't kill anything, the melee get pissed if you do because they like to kill things.
Part 2: Disco ball the entire center field. I normally put up at least 3 to make things easy on the healers. After you do that, put a Dancing Ball on the crystal so if anything spawns from it, you'll be safe. Then yell at the gimp arcane archer who joined to stop piking and kill the crystal.
Part 3: Dancing ball the corridors to cc the blades while running around hitting the circular switches that open the secret chests underwater. If they don't open after your first try, they reset, so try to do it faster.
Part 4: CC the trash at the beginning with about 4  disco balls (2 in front, 2 behind), and 2 grease or ice storm spells. Then cast an ice storm on Harry and /afk.
Part 5: Same as Part 4

Why do you hate me?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #13 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
Milton wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 12:12pm:
I usually request people that only 1 disco ball be thrown down at these points... it does slow down my game a little... but its more for the fact that I can't see through 5 bloody Disco balls, 4 mind fogs and 1 solid fog.

Its the best example of overkill you can get in the game... coming a close second are all the disco balls in Reavers fate.

Even my squishtastic drow wizzy prefers a couple webs and a mass hold for each spawn in part four...

IP Logged

Rastelin
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 12:44pm:
Why do you hate me?

I'm jealous. You should see my procedure for tod.

IP Logged

Rastelin
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Some real advice:

Part 1: Learn the portal spawning order and go wail everything that spawns. If you are trying to DPS the portal, you are doing it wrong.
Part 2: Offer to solo the elemental when you get some DPS. Otherwise just firewall the crystal and /pike. I highly suggest you pick up a Potency 6 item (disintegrate will 1 shot the crystal, so even if you fuck up and let the fwalls go out, you can kill it with a disint). Run Bastion a few time for Telvi's sash (it's a fairly common drop and it will increase your dps alot). Kill yourself looking for an eardweller, its THAT cool. Get your hold DC's up to somewhat good levels and hold everything at the beginning.
Part 3: Learn to puzzle, otherwise follow Epoch's directions. If you can't learn to puzzle, learn to kite the blades.
Part 4: Hold the stuff at the beginning, then redbar using polar rays and telvi's sash/eardweller. Save about 500 mana in case your party is full of gimps and it goes to a second round. Save about 30 mana so you can teleport out if things go to a 3rd round. 
Part 5: Learn to solo the elemental, then redbar on harry.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #16 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
Rastelin wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 12:53pm:
Part 4:  Save about 30 mana so you can teleport out if things go to a 3rd round. 

I laughed so hard I started crying.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

biggin
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
I agree with a few above, don't throw disco balls. It's the biggest waste of SP a caster has in the Shroud. If you're healers can't handle healing through a 10 mob fight then just recall. You're there to kill and help speed up the process, not lag half the party out with a 6 disco balls. DPS or holds FTW.

IP Logged

rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Reply #18 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
poison resist comes in a pot.

Quote:
Rev. Jim.
He is the only guy here that posts quality, you should all learn from him.

IP Logged

Saaluta
Vault Mistress

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
So, firstly haste, heightened web, and mass hold will be your most important spells in there after that come firewall and wail.

Buffing: Rage and haste, spot buffs if needed

Part 1: get in a good shroud group and learn the portal order...you always want to be ahead of the group beating the portals down.  Use wail on the spawns, FOD any that survive the wail.  Haste the group as needed...if normal shroud takes more than one extended rage, find a new group Smiley

Part 2:  Get to south, haste and heightened web, mass hold...monsters die.  Center gets pulled, use targeting reticule to aim at crystal and throw max, emp, height, ext firewall at crystal.

Part 3: 3x3 puzzles are cake, 4x4's are even easier...learn them.  5x5's can be difficult even for vets, so don't be afraid to say you're having trouble. Firewall only center crystals if needed... Knock doors if needed to get it done, and run water until they're done.

Part 4:  Webs, wails, haste, rage...polar ray, frost lance, force spells on Harry and FOD/wail gnolls if it takes more than one round.

Part 5: Rage, haste, bake rock elemental as needed, nuke Harry.

And that's pretty much it in a nutshell Smiley

Saal Smiley

Hello Darkness, my old friend!  It's nice to talk with you again!
Kimberlite wrote on Oct 11th, 2013 at 12:30pm:
They don't just settle for shooting themselves in the foot. Turbine uses a repeating crossbow.

IP Logged

Cabocleer
Korthos Resident

Um, yeah, whatever.

Reply #20 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Milton wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 12:12pm:

A buncha Hypnotic Patterns and maybe a Globe of Invulnerability will slow the game down a little, so you have more time for decison making.  Ice and Sleet Storms can help with this as well.   All of these also make it harder for anybody to tell what anybody else is doing, so it can cut down on bickering and drama.   Cheesy

Making it weirder for some time now.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #21 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Cabocleer wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 1:28pm:
A buncha Hypnotic Patterns and maybe a Globe of Invulnerability will slow the game down a little, so you have more time for decison making.  Ice and Sleet Storms can help with this as well.   All of these also make it harder for anybody to tell what anybody else is doing, so it can cut down on bickering and drama.   Cheesy

You forgot the most important one of all...GLITTERDUST!!!!

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #22 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
This sure picked up at midday. It's almost as if the servers were down or something. Oh wait.

Right, so: Mass hold > disco ball. That's fine by me.

Haste and rage. Fire resist if we've somehow picked up no Paladins/Rangers. GH if people ask really nicely. Drop a cloud on Harry for concealment. Waves still worth casting. Throw Polar Rays so it's not so obvious I'm piking the fight. Get Telvi's Sash at some point, then procrastinate about farming for an Eardweller.

I do need to learn the portal order - that's not something I know yet. It's too easy to just follow the pack around as a melee. And I need to go buy a scroll of Merfolk's.
« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2011 at 1:43pm by Boatman »  

Argonessen

IP Logged

Milton
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
Boatman wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 1:41pm:
I do need to learn the portal order - that's not something I know yet. It's too easy to just follow the pack around as a melee.

I'm usually one of those guys running just ahead of the pack... and sometimes i take a wrong turn... always amusing to see 3 or 4 of you peel off the pack and follow me. Cheesy

IP Logged

oldmancraigy
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jan 30th, 2011 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Boatman wrote on Jan 30th, 2011 at 1:41pm:
This sure picked up at midday. It's almost as if the servers were down or something. Oh wait.

Right, so: Mass hold > disco ball. That's fine by me.

Haste and rage. Fire resist if we've somehow picked up no Paladins/Rangers. GH if people ask really nicely. Drop a cloud on Harry for concealment. Waves still worth casting. Throw Polar Rays so it's not so obvious I'm piking the fight. Get Telvi's Sash at some point, then procrastinate about farming for an Eardweller.

I do need to learn the portal order - that's not something I know yet. It's too easy to just follow the pack around as a melee. And I need to go buy a scroll of Merfolk's.

Probably learning the portal order is the most important thing for an arcane in the shroud.
The order you run as an arcane is different to the order the melee run.

Also, when you've got enough mana, wail the trogs, then ice storm the portal and move on. Don't come back for the respawns - they'll get sorted out just fine.

Part 2: just throw 3-4 FWs on the crystal once the bosses have been pulled. If they run out, throw 3-4 more. If they run out, tele out - the melee have some gimpage about them!

Parts 4+5: haste and rage are the most important, but once Harry drops in you might as well debuff him with waves of exhaustion/ fatigue.  Make sure they 'take' by looking at his info, and then just start polar raying him.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint