Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How much would you pay a dev? (Read 1895 times)
Infraction
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

How much would you pay a dev?
Feb 15th, 2011 at 5:56am
Print Post  
How much would you pay a dev, under the table, to help outfit your toon or tweak your chests?

paypal? check? trip to strip club?

which dev do you think would do it?

If you gave Cubefuckyou, the forum mod, 300 dollars, do you think you would get a pass on bannings?

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Re: How much would you pay a dev?
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Infraction wrote on Feb 15th, 2011 at 5:56am:
If you gave Cubefuckyou, the forum mod, 300 dollars, do you think you would get a pass on bannings?

I doubt it.

300 dollars isn't very much to get someone to compromise their ethics.

At least once per semester, a kid asks me if they can give me money to not have to do some piece of homework or something similar.  I then explain to them that if I were caught taking a bribe, I'd certainly be fired and I would probably lose my license to teach.  Since that means I'd be out of a job and wouldn't be able to get a new job, any potential bribe would have to be enough for me to retire on.

Because of that, I'm happy to accept any bribe that is $300,00 or more since that's the amount that I figure I'll need on top of what I have now in order to retire.

I'm pleased to say that this shuts the kids right up on that topic.  When I used to just say, "No, I don't take bribes," someone would always try to push the issue, trying to find out what it would really take for me to compromise my ethics.

No one ever believes "I can't be bought" but people are entirely willing to believe "I'm more expensive than you can afford."  Smiley

fnord

IP Logged

Alekx
VoD Slasher

Argonnessen

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:09am
Print Post  
on an unrelated note, rage quitting has been trumped by the almighty dollar yo

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=301799

~ Pure Life ~ Argonnessen ~

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Honestly, I wouldn't.  To me this is like installing an aimbot and playing Counterstrike.  Part of the fun of playing is the accomplishment of gearing up.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:59am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Feb 15th, 2011 at 7:35am:
Because of that, I'm happy to accept any bribe that is $300,00 or more since that's the amount that I figure I'll need on top of what I have now in order to retire.

I'm pleased to say that this shuts the kids right up on that topic.  When I used to just say, "No, I don't take bribes," someone would always try to push the issue, trying to find out what it would really take for me to compromise my ethics.

No one ever believes "I can't be bought" but people are entirely willing to believe "I'm more expensive than you can afford."  Smiley

Damn, you're cheap. I came to the same realization years ago, working in consulting. Maybe it's because I'm a long ways from retirement, but I always built in the cost for me to be on the run as well. Assuming that I could be charged for a breach of trust or something similar, my price has been a small island in the Caribbean (someplace that won't extradite me), enough money that I won't miss family and friends (which is more than enough money to fly them in regularly to visit), etc.

I think my price is higher than yours by at least two orders of magnitude (assuming you meant $300k, not the "300,00" that you typed).
The other thing I've realized is that as my decisions have more impact as my career progresses, I have more to lose. My price would continue to go up faster than any possible benefit to the person who wants to buy me off.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Feb 15th, 2011 at 10:59am:
Damn, you're cheap. I came to the same realization years ago, working in consulting. Maybe it's because I'm a long ways from retirement, but I always built in the cost for me to be on the run as well. Assuming that I could be charged for a breach of trust or something similar, my price has been a small island in the Caribbean (someplace that won't extradite me), enough money that I won't miss family and friends (which is more than enough money to fly them in regularly to visit), etc.

I think my price is higher than yours by at least two orders of magnitude (assuming you meant $300k, not the "300,00" that you typed).
The other thing I've realized is that as my decisions have more impact as my career progresses, I have more to lose. My price would continue to go up faster than any possible benefit to the person who wants to buy me off.

Yeah, it was supposed to be three hundred thousand dollars.  I can imagine that one of our resident Euros might be particularly confused by that one.  Smiley

I actually used to work in IT and I went into teaching once I could afford to do so.  I think it's both depressing and hysterical when I hear people complaining about how much teachers get paid for "only" 9 months of work when I think about the fact that I had to save up so that I could afford to teach.

The $300,000 is just the amount that I know I need to finish out my retirement fund.  If one of my students actually did offer me $300,000 for an A in one of my classes, I'd turn him down because I'd expect that the kid was more likely trying to record me on his cell phone as taking a bribe than actually trying to offer one for real.  Can't imagine anyone paying $300,000 just to have a free ride in Algebra.

On a mildly related note, I also answer non-math questions for anyone who wants to know about something that I find interesting.  Some students were asking me questions about religion, so I answered them, always saying, "Christianity teaches that..." or, "Buddhism teaches that..." as my answer to each of their questions about specific religions.  One of the students noticed that and asked me what I believed, so I put up a challenge.  Anyone who can guess my specific religion gets an A for the entire course (not just the marking period).  They have to guess my specific religion, though, not just "Christian" or "Muslim" or whatever.

I figure if they can't even successfully guess what my religion is, then their parents would be hard pressed to show that I'm trying to push my religion on them when I answer their questions.  Smiley

fnord

IP Logged

Razcar
Dragon Raider

Jag Älskar Drama!

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
All the games I have played that I used a cheat code in I have always quickly lost interest afterwards. Would be the same with DDO I suppose.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 8:54pm
Print Post  

Cash on the table drives prices downward.  It's one thing to talk money, it's an entirely different thing when the money is on the table in front of you.

On topic, I wouldn't pay much more than a few bucks.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint