Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Serious Spell Changes (Read 23788 times)
Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Re: Serious Spell Changes
Reply #25 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:41am
Print Post  
Boatman wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:19am:
Who cares what? Did I inadvertantly make my "the nerf's not as bad as you think, Tspoon" post read as "waahhhh they're taking my firewall away?"

Not really, but I didn't wanna quote different posts.  Or refer elsewhere, call it laziness.  That is what I call it.

Yup - and probably about time. I'm looking forward to figuring out how to play a caster post-changes. While I do enjoy the lazy whoosh-jump-jump style, it's not exactly demanding. (Although I think I'll make sure I get my Lvl 8 wiz through Shadow Crypt *before* the update...)

You forgot wiz king.  Firewall makes it soooooooooooo much easier. 
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:43am by Epoch »  

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #26 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:00am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:41am:
You forgot wiz king. 

That's true. But even with a 30% reduction in damage, I reckon Firewall will probably still be the spell of choice for Wiz King. Just need to remember to pack disintegrate this time; I always forget on a toon's first run through, and it's embarassing to get locked in with clay golems you can't hurt.

Boatman (Wiz20), Cannula (Pal20), Jacad (Clr15), buncha lowbie alts
Guild: Property Damage
Argonessen

IP Logged

Razcar
Dragon Raider

Jag Älskar Drama!

Reply #27 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:37am
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Mar 21st, 2011 at 8:34pm:
This makes the khopesh even more unbalanced than ever before - it was already dominant, and everything around it has gotten the nerfbat. If it remains untouched, my casters are going to be pissed.

I sense a khopesh-nerf coming. They might wait for GS deconstruction, using the tech from the new crafting system maybe, or not. But it seems that 2011 is the year of rubbing out old staples in DDO-land, and the khopesh is as all know the de facto standard.

And it would make role-players & noobs happy, while pissing off veteran players, so that's right up the Dev's alley.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #28 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Razcar wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:37am:
But it seems that 2011 is the year of rubbing out old staples in DDO-land

"You have beaten off the old staples"?

fnord

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #29 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:38am
Print Post  
Emili wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 2:18am:
Symbol of death has a 120 sec cool down... so that spell is most likely our.

Maybe circle of death which is 5 sec cool down? Either case WoB and a 30 cooldown (cleric's know they deal with implosion - 60 sec cd)  still would make for a slow part one as an alternating second spell. 13 portals exist plus the starting mob... the adds alone in alternating wob on every second portal means a finish time of part 1 of six and a half minutes. Plus really, I think the adds spawn sooner than that so maybe use WoB every third?

To me it seems the devs either want the trash cleared by damage spells or possibly melee - the later which of course means some are not on a portal ... seems they want the quest to stretch out in a little more time.   Roll Eyes

I think the new instant-kill rotation spell will be Circle of Death.  Alternate CoD and FoD, Wail when it's available.  That still seems like it will do a decent job of clearing trash, just maybe not as efficiently as previously.  Anything with a cooldown of more than 30 seconds is basically either "once per encounter" or "once per rest".
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:39am by Schmoe »  

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #30 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Boatman wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 6:00am:
That's true. But even with a 30% reduction in damage, I reckon Firewall will probably still be the spell of choice for Wiz King. Just need to remember to pack disintegrate this time; I always forget on a toon's first run through, and it's embarassing to get locked in with clay golems you can't hurt.

Clay golems take fire damage.  You are such a noob.

Cheesy

You haven't ran wiz king in awhile have ya?

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #31 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:56am:

Cheesy

I was actually shocked by that recently.  I was *sure* that Clay Golems were immune to fire and then two of them died when I threw a maximised Fireball at a Mummy that was standing next to them.

Surprised the hell out of me.

fnord

IP Logged

Razcar
Dragon Raider

Jag Älskar Drama!

Reply #32 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:16am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:22am:
"You have beaten off the old staples"?

Humm I suppose I made some language error but can't spot it...

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #33 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:18am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:13am:
I was actually shocked by that recently.  I was *sure* that Clay Golems were immune to fire and then two of them died when I threw a maximised Fireball at a Mummy that was standing next to them.

Surprised the hell out of me.

Yeah to be fair I learned about it by casting firewall right where the mummy is and then triggering the room.  Then I saw two yellow ticks and was like, OMFG, this quest just became easier on the sp.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Asketes
Puppy Farmer

Perma

Reply #34 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Quote:
No that's the other big nerf that people haven't fully realized yet, WoF is so fundemental that it has temporarilly stunned people, when they realize the cooldown on wail is 30 sec... oh baby!  T

from the start the CD increase on wail is what pissed me off, not necessarily the FW change.

I can see the save change, but changing the undead ownage is fucking dumb

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #35 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:56am:

Shit. I don't hide it well, either, do I?

Would have made the waterfall encounter in Tear a bunch less painful as well if I'd realised that.

Quote:

Apparently I ran Boatman through it in October last year.

popejubal wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:13am:
I was actually shocked by that recently.I was *sure* that Clay Golems were immune to fire

See - Pope's a noob too!   Grin

Boatman (Wiz20), Cannula (Pal20), Jacad (Clr15), buncha lowbie alts
Guild: Property Damage
Argonessen

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #36 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Emili wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 2:18am:
To me it seems the devs either want the trash cleared by damage spells or possibly melee - the later which of course means some are not on a portal ... seems they want the quest to stretch out in a little more time.   Roll Eyes

Our guild used to always put everyone on the portals -- wizzies included.  Even when trash spawned, they tended to die from glancing blows, or a rogue would take care of them.  We would judge how strong the group was by number of kills necessary to complete part 1.  About 88 was typical of a good group.  I still use the number of kills as a barometer of group DPS.  120+ kills?  Choo choo!

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #37 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:03am:
Our guild used to always put everyone on the portals -- wizzies included.  Even when trash spawned, they tended to die from glancing blows, or a rogue would take care of them.  We would judge how strong the group was by number of kills necessary to complete part 1.  About 88 was typical of a good group.  I still use the number of kills as a barometer of group DPS.  120+ kills?  Choo choo!

Hahaha, I still do it as well.  if it is a 120+ I tell them part 4 better not go more then one round or I'm leaving.  I hold true to it unless arry is at ~5% for round 2.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Feldspaar
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 2:50pm
Print Post  
Razcar wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:16am:
Humm I suppose I made some language error but can't spot it...

Naw.  "Rubbing [one] out" is a euphemism for masturbation.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #39 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
I generally like the changes to spell point costs based on effectiveness.  Making damage spells less costly will help, particularly at low levels where mana is at a premium.  Scorching Ray was already a low level favorite of mine and now its even better.  Lightning Bolt looks nice too. 

The changes to WoF make sense, although I'd rather see them make extend still work and just cut the base duration to get the same results (SP cost and duration). 

The CD changes on all the insta-death spells seem off.  Wail is too high.  I love PWK getting the HP barrier removed, but to slap it with such a long CD timer is redonc.  Even for a spell with no save. 

The SP regen thing is a dangerous thing, but by limiting it to 12 sp I think they keep it from being a problem.  Some jackass suggested 60 sp (or 10+5 per caster level or some such crap) as the regen point.  That would be assinine.  There would be virtually no point in mana conservation at those levels.  Enough for some PrE enhancements, wings, or a level 1 spell is cool though. 

Clearly the goal is to help low level and noob casters with the reduced mana costs on damage spells, diversify spell choices at mid-high levels, and help casters be more than just CC/buffers in epics. 

It's kinda odd.  levels 17-20 end game/non-epic content most all about the insta-kill for casters.  To combat that, they had to nerf the most common insta-kill options (like wail), but then to prevent epic casting getting pigeionholed as CC only they remove the death wards (encouraging the use of insta-kill).  So it's kinda conflicting how they are reducing the effectiveness of insta-kill but then trying to encourage usage in epics at the same time.

IP Logged

Sirea
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
It amuses me how quickly some people forget how we did things before we got spells like Wail. Onoz how will we clear the shroud portals now?! Hmm...FoD/PK anyone? Web/CK? Has everyone forgotten already? Yeah Wail made it a cakewalk but there's nothing wrong with the older strategies.

Wall of Fire nerf, meh...it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I think the whole dev mindset of "onoz casters are too hard so we have to hit them with the dumb-down stick" irritates me more. I guess it's too much to ask that people take the time to learn the game anymore, we just have to make it easier for everyone. The dumbing down continues, my only thought is, where will it stop? Slippery slope arguments don't look so far-fetched anymore.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #41 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
Sirea wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 4:24pm:
It amuses me how quickly some people forget how we did things before we got spells like Wail. Onoz how will we clear the shroud portals now?! Hmm...FoD/PK anyone? Web/CK? Has everyone forgotten already? Yeah Wail made it a cakewalk but there's nothing wrong with the older strategies.

Wall of Fire nerf, meh...it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I think the whole dev mindset of "onoz casters are too hard so we have to hit them with the dumb-down stick" irritates me more. I guess it's too much to ask that people take the time to learn the game anymore, we just have to make it easier for everyone. The dumbing down continues, my only thought is, where will it stop? Slippery slope arguments don't look so far-fetched anymore.

Why is the old way always better?  Everyone bitched and moaned about not enough spells were worthwhile.  Epic content made casters a one trick poney.  WoF is an easy button. 

I for one don't see this as a dumbing down/slippery slope/easy button.  I see it more as a rebalancing to fix current inequity in the spell list. 

The only "easy button" I see in the whole thing was the mana regen concept.  By capping it at 12 SP, though, they made it a non-issue.  If that cap goes up, then you have an easy button concern. 

The rest of it is actually weakening most of the "top spells".  There were very few spells that got improved.  If it were an "Easy button" scenario, I would think you would not see any nerfs and see more spells with increased capability. 

WoF - Clearly weaker
Wail - Clearly weaker
Auto-Crits gone on Holds - Clearly weaker

Not seeing a whole lot of easy button there...

« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2011 at 4:38pm by Asheras »  

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 4:46pm
Print Post  
I like the changes. In fact I want to play a caster more than ever now.

IP Logged

Sirea
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Never said that the old way was better, just that clearing portals wasn't impossible before WotB. People are acting like it's going to be this huge chore now that it has a longer cooldown, when we had perfectly viable ways of clearing them way before Wail was in the game.

In other words, I'm calling out all the people crying doooooooooooooooooooooooom. So you wont be able to spam it anymore, BFD.

The part I took issue with was Torc's wording when justifying some of these changes:

Quote:
On another note, it has become a noticeable point that arcane casters are a rather difficult class to get into. The Classic 3.5 D&D concept of starting weak then gain cosmic power. While loyal to our roots we felt that perhaps the current learning curve is a bit too harsh, and we’re looking at making it an easier class role to enter for new players.

People make casters out to be so hard to play. Ever thought that maybe they just aren't for everyone? Just like the people who bitch and whine about Necro being sooooooooo haaaaaaaaard. If you don't like it, don't play it. I think the devs needs to let go of the train of thought that EVERYTHING has to be accessible to EVERYONE, therefore dumbing down the entire game in the process. God forbid someone *gasp* has a hard time doing/learning something. End of ze world!

You only become a one-trick pony if you allow yourself to get boxed into the "best" strategies and can't allow a single brain cell to think of different ways to do things, or that there may possibly be more than THE ONE ULTIMATE WAY to accomplish a goal.

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #44 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Oh yeah, not sure if it's been said or not but...

BB > Firewall now. Officially.

Thanks Turbine! Cheesy

IP Logged

Sirea
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Soul wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:11pm:
Oh yeah, not sure if it's been said or not but...

BB > Firewall now. Officially.

Thanks Turbine! Cheesy

Just you wait, divine casters'll be next  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Sirea wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:13pm:
Just you wait, divine casters'll be next  Lips Sealed

Nerf to wings will probably be next. No longer work when harried! Cheesy

... Sad

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #47 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Soul wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:17pm:
Nerf to wings will probably be next. No longer work when harried! Cheesy

... Sad

That was supposedly part of U8, but it never seemed to actually take place.

fnord

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #48 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Nah, it was a joke.  Someone posted that to get a rise out of people, and it worked.  Just like Lorien making the joke about GS weapons being changed to higher min level use based on tier.

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
I get that question a lot. HEY AREN'T WINGS BEING NERFED???!?!?! ?>!?!??!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!??!?!??

No... you fucking moron... Someone was trolling the forums.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Send TopicPrint