Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Serious Spell Changes (Read 23759 times)
Sirea
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: Serious Spell Changes
Reply #50 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Depending on who you talk to, changing the FvS wing colors classifies as a nerf  Tongue

IP Logged

Redweaver
Korthos Resident

Mon 9/12/05 11:45 AM

Reply #51 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 3:57pm:
The changes to WoF make sense, although I'd rather see them make extend still work and just cut the base duration to get the same results (SP cost and duration).

Very much agree.  Feats are precious and expensive.  Nerfing extend like this (and enlarge too with the ray changes) really sux.  I guess there's small consolation that you can still extend buffs. 

Quote:
The SP regen thing is a dangerous thing, but by limiting it to 12 sp I think they keep it from being a problem.  Some jackass suggested 60 sp (or 10+5 per caster level or some such crap) as the regen point.  That would be assinine.  There would be virtually no point in mana conservation at those levels.  Enough for some PrE enhancements, wings, or a level 1 spell is cool though.

My wiz at 20 has about 2500 SP.  And you think 60 is to high a threshhold?  What flavor is the crack that you smoke?

Dear Redweaver,

Thank you for applying for the Dungeons & Dragons® Online: Stormreach™ Alpha. We are pleased to invite you to join us in this phase of the game's development.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #52 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
Redweaver wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 7:35pm:
My wiz at 20 has about 2500 SP.  And you think 60 is to high a threshhold?  What flavor is the crack that you smoke?

I think that 60 is too high a threshhold because it will let you cast any spell that you have one time (and will let you cast a maximised version of most spells that you have).  That might sound like a good thing, but it also means that they will have to consider people who are willing to cast one death spell, wait until their spell points recharge and then cast another big death spell until the quest is finished.

I believe that they do not consider mnemonic potions when they design a quest, but I'm pretty sure that they expect anyone that relies on a blue bar to have a certain number of spell points.  Mana regeneration with a bigger cap (like 60) would mean that they could design a quest with much greater spell point consumption in mind since they seem to think that what many of us consider a 15 minute quest should actually be taking 20 or 25 minutes and what we consider a 3-7 minute quest should actually be a 15 minute quest.

I don't have any s3kr3t source inside Turbine, but that is the impression that I've gotten based on things like dungeon alert, added doors in quests where people could invis and sprint (or stealth and walk) and the changes that they've made to make long quests easier, but not shorter.  I really think that they want quests to be easy to finish if you take forever while being difficult or impossible to zerg through.

12 sp regeneration isn't going to mean anything to someone zerging other than having FvS/Air Savant wings and Archmage SLA available after dumping your blue bar at a boss.  60 point regeneration would be a game changer, though.

fnord

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #53 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
About the only thing I can think of that's pre-spam related that runs 60 sp would be a heightened + extended death-aura for getting your hp back when spamming those. Not worth crying over having less. Particularly not when we've been dealing with 0 regen save pots, clickies, and getting hit for years.

IP Logged

Emili
Shroud Slacker

Reply #54 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 10:03am:
Our guild used to always put everyone on the portals -- wizzies included.  Even when trash spawned, they tended to die from glancing blows, or a rogue would take care of them.  We would judge how strong the group was by number of kills necessary to complete part 1.  About 88 was typical of a good group.  I still use the number of kills as a barometer of group DPS.  120+ kills?  Choo choo!

With the arcane and divine casters ahead of the lot lessens the chances of a portal keeper yet sometimes respawn of adds happen...

Very few people ever really notice my intentions while on a melee in part one... and after the initial clearing if I see mob near a portal I break off the portal whack it once - sometimes it dies from a one/two hit but really I'm just trying to drag it back to the pack of blades flying around...

I measure group dps power on the portals themselves - is easy to tell after looking at two to three portals and my boost timers - one rounder, two rounder or god help those clerics will not be happy in part four. Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:53pm by Emili »  

|IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 | IMaj7 vim7 | iim7 V13 |III7+  VI9 | iim9  V13 |IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 |IMaj7 vim7 |iim7 V13 |I6  ivm7  bVII9 |I69   |

Bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'etre aimé et quand s'en va, l'espoir fuit.

IP Logged

Emili
Shroud Slacker

Reply #55 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:08pm
Print Post  
I generally like the changes to spell point costs based on effectiveness.  Making damage spells less costly will help, particularly at low levels where mana is at a premium.  Scorching Ray was already a low level favorite of mine and now its even better.  Lightning Bolt looks nice too. 

The changes to WoF make sense, although I'd rather see them make extend still work and just cut the base duration to get the same results (SP cost and duration). 

The CD changes on all the insta-death spells seem off.  Wail is too high.  I love PWK getting the HP barrier removed, but to slap it with such a long CD timer is redonc.  Even for a spell with no save. 

The SP regen thing is a dangerous thing, but by limiting it to 12 sp I think they keep it from being a problem.  Some jackass suggested 60 sp (or 10+5 per caster level or some such crap) as the regen point.  That would be assinine.  There would be virtually no point in mana conservation at those levels.  Enough for some PrE enhancements, wings, or a level 1 spell is cool though. 

Clearly the goal is to help low level and noob casters with the reduced mana costs on damage spells, diversify spell choices at mid-high levels, and help casters be more than just CC/buffers in epics. 

It's kinda odd.  levels 17-20 end game/non-epic content most all about the insta-kill for casters.  To combat that, they had to nerf the most common insta-kill options (like wail), but then to prevent epic casting getting pigeionholed as CC only they remove the death wards (encouraging the use of insta-kill).  So it's kinda conflicting how they are reducing the effectiveness of insta-kill but then trying to encourage usage in epics at the same time.   

I was making an effort to bring the gimpy with up to date... She was rolled in a by-gone era.

When Sgail was young my initial intentions on her was was a necro but I quickly found out that lack of a necro spell list and the meta game of decent hp mob disallowed such. Her focus turned into the run of the mill for it's time - nuker. This is why she became - the gimpy witch of today ... the gimpy witch was "All" dps output and naturally because I started to change her ... turbine decided to change the meta-game. Wink May blame me for their decisions what every direction I turn to Turbine swings back to the direction I came from.

|IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 | IMaj7 vim7 | iim7 V13 |III7+  VI9 | iim9  V13 |IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 |IMaj7 vim7 |iim7 V13 |I6  ivm7  bVII9 |I69   |

Bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'etre aimé et quand s'en va, l'espoir fuit.

IP Logged

Mastertool
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Sirea wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 5:13pm:
Just you wait, divine casters'll be next  Lips Sealed

Some divine changes are up.  No mention of BB yet, which could be bad or good.  They may have been scared of the FW backlash.

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3666683&postcount=547

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #57 - Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Mastertool wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 9:11pm:
Some divine changes are up.  No mention of BB yet, which could be bad or good.  They may have been scared of the FW backlash.

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3666683&postcount=547

Yeah the changes consist of making all our spells *better* muahahaha

IP Logged

Redweaver
Korthos Resident

Reply #58 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 1:43am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 8:27pm:
I think that 60 is too high a threshhold because it will let you cast any spell that you have one time (and will let you cast a maximised version of most spells that you have).

WOOOOOO HOOOOOO! ONE SPELL!

Quote:
60 point regeneration would be a game changer, though.

What game are you playing that one spell is a game changer?

Quote:
That might sound like a good thing, but it also means that they will have to consider people who are willing to cast one death spell, wait until their spell points recharge and then cast another big death spell until the quest is finished.

What game are you playing, cause it sure doesn't seem to be DDO. 

People wait for traps to be disabled, too...right?

Dear Redweaver,

Thank you for applying for the Dungeons & Dragons® Online: Stormreach™ Alpha. We are pleased to invite you to join us in this phase of the game's development.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #59 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Redweaver wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 1:43am:
WOOOOOO HOOOOOO! ONE SPELL!

What game are you playing, cause it sure doesn't seem to be DDO. 

People wait for traps to be disabled, too...right?

That's actually kind of my point.  I don't want to wait around for those SP to regenerate so that I can finish a quest and I don't want to chug a potion to get the SP needed to finish a quest and I don't want to wait for traps to be disabled unless we're in Monestary of the Scorpion and already want to make myself a sammich.

...but the developers seem to want us to take our time in quests and if they see that we have a tool for "infinite" spell points that can be used for meaningful spells, then they'll eventually expect us to use that tool to finish quests.  I don't think that we *need* even the 12 spell point regen, but I do think it's nice for people who are new to the game and new to DDO casters so that they can get their feet wet without being a complete piker after 2 minutes in a quest.

I just really don't want the quest developers looking at that ability as a valid option for quests beyond Waterworks.

fnord

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #60 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Redweaver wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 1:43am:

Currently, I could own the majority of trash encounters with 60sp; then I could regen to 60 afterwards, Reconstruct and repeat ad infinitum. That changes the game from one where the critical resource is rest shrines, into one where the critical resource is time. Sounds pretty dull to me.

12sp is enough of a crutch to let a newbie throw a Burning Hands each fight after they blew all their sp in the first two, but becomes broadly irrelevant after about level 4. This is good; I want it to be irrelevant in the mid-late game.

Boatman (Wiz20), Cannula (Pal20), Jacad (Clr15), buncha lowbie alts
Guild: Property Damage
Argonessen

IP Logged

Redweaver
Korthos Resident

Reply #61 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:02am
Print Post  
Boatman wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 8:54am:
Currently, I could own the majority of trash encounters with 60sp; then I could regen to 60 afterwards, Reconstruct and repeat ad infinitum. That changes the game from one where the critical resource is rest shrines, into one where the critical resource is time. Sounds pretty dull to me.

12sp is enough of a crutch to let a newbie throw a Burning Hands each fight after they blew all their sp in the first two, but becomes broadly irrelevant after about level 4. This is good; I want it to be irrelevant in the mid-late game.

So we go from a game where arcane casters can solo quests to...a game where arcane casters can solo quests.

Or are you with pope back there genuinely trying to pretend that anyone in this game in a group will have the patience to wait for regenning SP?

Again...what game are you playing?

Dear Redweaver,

IP Logged

Gornin
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:45am
Print Post  
IMO, the spells didn't need to be changed. What needed to be changed was dungeon/mob design, but that would require changes to characters that would have been considered a nerf, to balance things out, so we get this BS.

I stopped playing casters and only pulll them out when they are needed because of the uselessness/uberness seesaw they were on due to quest design or class changes.

The cool downs seem excessive on WotB and others, but we will see.

As for portal clearing, regardless of the character I am playing, I will break off and kill spawns near a portal just to keep them down. It is funny when as a cleric or monk I lead the kill count.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #63 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:49am
Print Post  
Redweaver wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 9:02am:
So we go from a game where arcane casters can solo quests to...a game where arcane casters can solo quests.

Or are you with pope back there genuinely trying to pretend that anyone in this game in a group will have the patience to wait for regenning SP?

I can wait for them to regain sp.  It is called a fucking sp pot, drink it, dammit. 

Now, people might be thinking "why?"  Well, because I am bringing them all back to you, and if you don't cc them or kill them, then you are fucked.  Any caster worth a copper can manage sp to run out conveniently right when the shrine doors open.  A good caster can kill the entire quest and the boss with half an sp bar at most, conveniently all at the same time as well.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #64 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:08am
Print Post  

We go from a game where lots of people use khopeshes to a game where lots of people use khopeshes, too. Just because something doesn't change every single aspect of the game doesn't mean it doesn't change some of them.

I'm  not that fussed about casters being able to solo quests, to be honest. With a healer hireling pretty much anybody can solo most stuff anyway. I'm not in favour of making it *easier* for casters to solo everything, but I'm not screaming to have them crippled either.

Argonessen

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #65 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Boatman wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:08am:
We go from a game where lots of people use khopeshes to a game where lots of people use khopeshes, too. Just because something doesn't change every single aspect of the game doesn't mean it doesn't change some of them.

I'm  not that fussed about casters being able to solo quests, to be honest. With a healer hireling pretty much anybody can solo most stuff anyway. I'm not in favour of making it *easier* for casters to solo everything, but I'm not screaming to have them crippled either.

That is what I don't get.  Anyone can solo a quest with a hireling.  Also, hirelings are dirt cheap.  Yet so many people still talk about soloing quests using 300 pots or wands or scrolls.  Get a damn hireling and STFU!

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #66 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:28am
Print Post  

My comment about the SP regen was in relation to someone saying the changes were an easy button and a "slippery slope".  Of all the changes, the SP regen is the only slippery slope easy button I saw.  At 12 it's not an issue.  at 60 it is minor.  At 100-120 it's a concern.  at 200-300 it's WoW. 

But I rest assured that Turbine's top two sellers in the store are XP pots and Mana pots.  They will not raise that SP regen cap too high.  The higher it goes, the lower their Mana pot sales will go. 

BTW... When do melees get:

Heroic Recovery - You are tough as nails and an ancestor of yours had relations with a starfish.  Shocked   As a result, you spontaneously regenerate missing limbs and if your HP goes below 12 you regain 4 hp every 6 seconds until you are back to 12.

Come on... Fair is fair.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #67 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:35am
Print Post  
Boatman wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:08am:

The most annoying content to solo with a healer hireling?  Any quest where there are mobs with trip or knockdown effects.  Those healer hirelings have the worst saves ever.  Mine spends more time on it's back than Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan combined. 

As long as you can keep the slut upright a healer hireling makes soloing easy as pie for most any content. 

Oh. And you have to watch your spacing.  Left to their own devices, healer hirelings have no concept of personal space.  They want to get right up next to you and stare at you constantly.  That makes AoE effects, cleave, glancing blows, etc. a pain in the ass as well.  You gotta park that hireling close enough to be in heal range but far enough to be out of harms way.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #68 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:35am:
The most annoying content to solo with a healer hireling?  Any quest where there are mobs with trip or knockdown effects.  Those healer hirelings have the worst saves ever.  Mine spends more time on it's back than Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan combined. 

As long as you can keep the slut upright a healer hireling makes soloing easy as pie for most any content. 

Oh. And you have to watch your spacing.  Left to their own devices, healer hirelings have no concept of personal space.  They want to get right up next to you and stare at you constantly.  That makes AoE effects, cleave, glancing blows, etc. a pain in the ass as well.  You gotta park that hireling close enough to be in heal range but far enough to be out of harms way. 

Have them on standby mode, always.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #69 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:48am
Print Post  
I've only recently discovered the joy of Barbarism, running a barb up to 12th in the last couple of weeks. Beyond dual-boxing with a Wiz/Rogue on my wife's account, I haven't grouped once with him. After mostly playing a WF caster, it's really taught me to appreciate hirelings again. I concede they have their limitations, but so long as you move right and manage aggro; you barely have to slow down in most quests.

My preferred way to solo is now dual-boxing with a melee and a caster/rogue, each with a cleric hireling. Eventually one of the clerics will stand in an repeating trap or something, and it's nice to have a rez-bot available. Groups? Pah!

Argonessen

IP Logged

Redweaver
Korthos Resident

Reply #70 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:49am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:28am:
Come on... Fair is fair.

And then we can put infinite SP pots on vendors, right?  Fair is fair.

Or are we ready to be done with the rediculous paranoid delusions of slippery slopes?

I guess I just don't get this vague sense of dread and unfocused paranoia about some faceless "them" that might wait for SP regen or have an easier time soloing.

Why do you care what someone else does?  For all you know, half the "people" that you see running around the servers might just be computer AI moving avatars to make the population seem larger than it is.  How's that for vague dread and paranoia?
« Last Edit: Mar 23rd, 2011 at 11:03am by Redweaver »  

Dear Redweaver,

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #71 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 11:09am
Print Post  

Just to be clear - I don't plan on waiting for regnerating SP and I don't want to wait for regenerating SP and I don't think that any sane player will wait for regeneratingSP.

I just don't want the regenerating SP to be able to go up to a significant number because I'm concerned that the game's developers and quest designers may factor that into their quest design because of their flawed understanding of what players actually do in quests and what they feel players should do in quests.

If we're not going to wait for the SP regeneration anyway, then it doesn't matter whether it's 12 SP max or 1200 SP max.  But if the Turbine thinks that we might wait for the SP regneration, then they may factor it into their occasionally bewildering deisgn choices.

fnord

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #72 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Redweaver wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:49am:
And then we can put infinite SP pots on vendors, right?  Fair is fair.

Or are we ready to be done with the rediculous paranoid delusions of slippery slopes?

I guess I just don't get this vague sense of dread and unfocused paranoia about some faceless "them" that might wait for SP regen or have an easier time soloing.

Why do you care what someone else does?  For all you know, half the "people" that you see running around the servers might just be computer AI moving avatars to make the population seem larger than it is.  How's that for vague dread and paranoia?

In case you missed it, the "fair is fair" comment was a part of the post that suggested melees should get auto regen at low hp too for having a horny grandpa that humped a starfish.  That part was facetious.

There's no dread or paranoia here.  my first response on this thread was one stating I liked the changes and thought that all the gloom and doom about easy buttons and dumbing down was silly.

Try re-reading the following:

I generally like the changes to spell point costs based on effectiveness.  Making damage spells less costly will help, particularly at low levels where mana is at a premium.  Scorching Ray was already a low level favorite of mine and now its even better.  Lightning Bolt looks nice too. 

The CD changes on all the insta-death spells seem off.  Wail is too high.  I love PWK getting the HP barrier removed, but to slap it with such a long CD timer is redonc.  Even for a spell with no save. 

Clearly the goal is to help low level and noob casters with the reduced mana costs on damage spells, diversify spell choices at mid-high levels, and help casters be more than just CC/buffers in epics. 

It's kinda odd.  levels 17-20 end game/non-epic content most all about the insta-kill for casters.  To combat that, they had to nerf the most common insta-kill options (like wail), but then to prevent epic casting getting pigeionholed as CC only they remove the death wards (encouraging the use of insta-kill).  So it's kinda conflicting how they are reducing the effectiveness of insta-kill but then trying to encourage usage in epics at the same time.   

Asheras wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 4:36pm:
Why is the old way always better?  Everyone bitched and moaned about not enough spells were worthwhile.  Epic content made casters a one trick pony.  WoF is an easy button. 

I for one don't see this as a dumbing down/slippery slope/easy button.  I see it more as a rebalancing to fix current inequity in the spell list. 

The only "easy button" I see in the whole thing was the mana regen concept.  By capping it at 12 SP, though, they made it a non-issue.  If that cap goes up, then you have an easy button concern. 

The rest of it is actually weakening most of the "top spells".  There were very few spells that got improved.  If it were an "Easy button" scenario, I would think you would not see any nerfs and see more spells with increased capability. 

WoF - Clearly weaker
Wail - Clearly weaker
Auto-Crits gone on Holds - Clearly weaker

Not seeing a whole lot of easy button there...

Where's the doom and gloom?  Can we be done with all this trolling now?  That way you can get back to your reading comprehension classes?

IP Logged

Redweaver
Korthos Resident

Reply #73 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 1:40pm
Print Post  
My bad, I apparently can't keep random strangers on the internets and their exact arguments straight all the time.  I'll try harder.  Got a big test in my reading comp class later this week, wish me luck dillhole!

Dear Redweaver,

IP Logged

Rastelin
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #74 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 22nd, 2011 at 4:36pm:
Why is the old way always better?  Everyone bitched and moaned about not enough spells were worthwhile.  Epic content made casters a one trick poney.  WoF is an easy button. 

I for one don't see this as a dumbing down/slippery slope/easy button.  I see it more as a rebalancing to fix current inequity in the spell list. 

The only "easy button" I see in the whole thing was the mana regen concept.  By capping it at 12 SP, though, they made it a non-issue.  If that cap goes up, then you have an easy button concern. 

The rest of it is actually weakening most of the "top spells".  There were very few spells that got improved.  If it were an "Easy button" scenario, I would think you would not see any nerfs and see more spells with increased capability. 

WoF - Clearly weaker
Wail - Clearly weaker
Auto-Crits gone on Holds - Clearly weaker

Not seeing a whole lot of easy button there...

Actually hold got a lot stronger for casters. Debuff em with the crushing despair and enjoy the +50% to all spell damage. When I am farming scrolls I generally dont even bother that much with woowooing them, just dancing sphere, fwall, nuke, nuke, nuke.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 
Send TopicPrint