Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Serious Spell Changes (Read 23745 times)
Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: Serious Spell Changes
Reply #75 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Rastelin wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 1:58pm:
Actually hold got a lot stronger for casters. Debuff em with the crushing despair and enjoy the +50% to all spell damage. When I am farming scrolls I generally dont even bother that much with woowooing them, just dancing sphere, fwall, nuke, nuke, nuke.

yeah, firewall became super uber with this new change. People just don't realize it. I think that's why the nerfed it to begin with. +50% damage to firewall + savants.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #76 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Rastelin wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 1:58pm:
Actually hold got a lot stronger for casters. Debuff em with the crushing despair and enjoy the +50% to all spell damage. When I am farming scrolls I generally dont even bother that much with woowooing them, just dancing sphere, fwall, nuke, nuke, nuke.

There is certainly a difference between the impact of these changes on group runs and soloing/scroll farming runs. 

For any group scenario, the loss of auto-crit is not made up for by the increase in elemental damage. 

For any solo scenario (Where you have to do the cc and damage yourself) the new rule set is an improvement.

Although, if epic death wards are gone, will you really be nuking and using that damage boost or going with insta-kill?

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #77 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Soul wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 2:20pm:
yeah, firewall became super uber with this new change. People just don't realize it. I think that's why the nerfed it to begin with. +50% damage to firewall + savants.

I'm thinking that Fire Savant looks amazingly sexy while leveling your Sorcerer up until he gets to the Vale.  At that point, switching to Air looks really nice.

You still get Fire and Cold spells the way that you have them currently and you get nice Electric damage + wings at 18.  Losing out on Acid spells doesn't seem like a significant hardship to me while losing either Fire or Cold spells does look painful.

Sorcerers soloing and Wizards soloing may have gotten a boost.  Lots of what Wizards and many Sorcerers currently do got smacked hard with a nerf bat, though.  Time to find new tactics.

fnord

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #78 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 4:57pm:
There is certainly a difference between the impact of these changes on group runs and soloing/scroll farming runs. 

For any group scenario, the loss of auto-crit is not made up for by the increase in elemental damage. 

For any solo scenario (Where you have to do the cc and damage yourself) the new rule set is an improvement.

Although, if epic death wards are gone, will you really be nuking and using that damage boost or going with insta-kill?

New strategy for Epic quests.

Step 1: Cast Power Word: Kill
Step 2: go make a sammich
Step 3: goto Step 1.

I'm going to be 500 pounds before I slot in Toughness on my shiny new armor.

fnord

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #79 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 5:05pm:
I'm thinking that Fire Savant looks amazingly sexy while leveling your Sorcerer up until he gets to the Vale.  At that point, switching to Air looks really nice.

You still get Fire and Cold spells the way that you have them currently and you get nice Electric damage + wings at 18.  Losing out on Acid spells doesn't seem like a significant hardship to me while losing either Fire or Cold spells does look painful.

Sorcerers soloing and Wizards soloing may have gotten a boost.  Lots of what Wizards and many Sorcerers currently do got smacked hard with a nerf bat, though.  Time to find new tactics.

So making an air savant. Going to TR the second favored soul I just leveld up in a wizard x3, then Savant.

IP Logged

Rastelin
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #80 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 4:57pm:

Using some instakill for sure, but I'm guessing with the HP nerf, I'll be using nukes when Wail of the Banshee is on cooldown (25 seconds Shocked). 3 Chain lightnings will probably be less than 4-5 finger of deaths, and should be more effective I'm guessing.

The change to auto crit will decrease melee DPS, but because HP are getting halved and casters will be contributing some to DPS, I don't expect trash will go down any slower.

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #81 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 5:05pm:

Switching after Let Sleeping Dust Lie, right? Remember you lose 9CLs on Flesh to Stone...

Boatman (Wiz20), Cannula (Pal20), Jacad (Clr15), buncha lowbie alts
Guild: Property Damage
Argonessen

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #82 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Disclaimer: have not read the entire thread.

1) The Wall of Fire nerf doesn't seem so bad.  I rarely use them for more than 30 seconds at a time anyway.  Save on entry?  So what, 2nd hit comes soon after.

2) Polar ray got buffed?  WOW.  They must not play this game.

3) They are very confused about cooldowns.  200+ seconds for power word: kill?  They almost made it a useful spell, then they do that?

4) 12sp threshold for the "magical training" regen thing?  Holy fuck, they really have no clue what endgame is like, do they?  LOL!

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #83 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:31pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 8:49pm:
4) 12sp threshold for the "magical training" regen thing?  Holy fuck, they really have no clue what endgame is like, do they?  LOL!

I think that the best way to think about that new ability is that it's a training wheels feat that gets turned off at level 4ish.

fnord

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #84 - Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:43pm
Print Post  

its not for endgame. its for level 1 wizards to throw a few burning hands when they run dry.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #85 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 1:06am
Print Post  
JC wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 10:43pm:
its not for endgame. its for level 1 wizards to throw a few burning hands when they run dry.

Their goal seems to imply otherwise.

Quote:
The goal is to allow low level players continue to cast level 1 spells at a diminished rate when their “out of gas” while high level players will be able to continue to use their PRE-s with the meta magics they normally require for high level play.

And fuck, I'd still consider that useless at level 1...

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #86 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 1:21am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 1:06am:
Their goal seems to imply otherwise.

And fuck, I'd still consider that useless at level 1...

the PREs are effective as a last resort. I have saved the day before when shit hit the fan by throwing extended hypno everywhere. i turned what would have been a slaughter into a successful escape.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Emili
Shroud Slacker

Reply #87 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 1:26am
Print Post  
Rastelin wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 5:45pm:
Using some instakill for sure, but I'm guessing with the HP nerf, I'll be using nukes when Wail of the Banshee is on cooldown (25 seconds Shocked). 3 Chain lightnings will probably be less than 4-5 finger of deaths, and should be more effective I'm guessing.

The change to auto crit will decrease melee DPS, but because HP are getting halved and casters will be contributing some to DPS, I don't expect trash will go down any slower.

Just a note... Remember they reduced the penalty they had on epic trash fort reflex and will saves.

Quote:
Eladrin 
You can go ahead and assassinate epic monsters (or monsters in previous death warded dungeons), but be warned that we've also reduced the penalty epic trash has to their saves from the minion debuff (and chopped their hit point to about half of what they were before).

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3657827&postcount=15

|IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 | IMaj7 vim7 | iim7 V13 |III7+  VI9 | iim9  V13 |IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 |IMaj7 vim7 |iim7 V13 |I6  ivm7  bVII9 |I69   |

Bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'etre aimé et quand s'en va, l'espoir fuit.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #88 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:23am
Print Post  
Boatman wrote on Mar 23rd, 2011 at 5:58pm:
Switching after Let Sleeping Dust Lie, right? Remember you lose 9CLs on Flesh to Stone...

Wait, wait just one second.  Why would you use this spell in sleeping dust?

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #89 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:28am
Print Post  
Disclaimer: have not read the entire thread.

1) The Wall of Fire nerf doesn't seem so bad.  I rarely use them for more than 30 seconds at a time anyway.  Save on entry?  So what, 2nd hit comes soon after.

2) Polar ray got buffed?  WOW.  They must not play this game.

3) They are very confused about cooldowns.  200+ seconds for power word: kill?  They almost made it a useful spell, then they do that?

My biggest thing with firewall is remembering to turn off heighten for it.  That is going to be so fricking annoying.
Polar ray being buffed... best thing ever.  I want to see 5k+ crits.  The new spell level fully geared, I think will be 27~29 for it.  That is a shitload of damage.
Remember, they are dungeon crawlers.  200 seconds is at least 3 kobolds for them. 
Their endgame experience is based on what they believe it to be since I am pretty sure they only run it to test it with overpowered toons that have gear we can only dream about.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #90 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 3:23am:
Wait, wait just one second.  Why would you use this spell in sleeping dust?

CC on the spiders. Greatly reduces the chance of someone accidentally killing them (which I rate at about 25% in a PUG), especially in the end fight.

(Oh, FFS YaBB. I've tried to post this five times now.)

Argonessen

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #91 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Being an air savant should only lower your ability to penetrate SR and the duration of FtS, other than that it should work fine.

Considering making my sorc an Air Savant when this goes live, and FtS is probably the spell that will go in favor of Chain Lightning (need reconstruct and disintegrate will work nicely now that the force enhancements improve it)

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #92 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Good point. I retract my suggestion as actually not very clever.

Argonessen

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #93 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Boatman wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 6:44am:
CC on the spiders. Greatly reduces the chance of someone accidentally killing them (which I rate at about 25% in a PUG), especially in the end fight.

(Oh, FFS YaBB. I've tried to post this five times now.)

I still don't understand.  Do you want the chest that badly? Is hypno or a fog of some type or any other cc spell not effective (web not included)? Just asking, because they hypno pretty easy.  FTS is stupid, it is like holding a mob.  You know what a melees reaction to a 100% crit mob? I think it goes like this, "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG HOW HIGH CAN I CRIT FOR?!?!?!?!!?!? OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG!!!!!!!!!!!"

Anyways, just kill all four of them.  Chances are a spider died before the first book, it is a pug after all.  One wail will leave only the boss.  Also, a DBF backed by a CoC will kill everything and beat shjit out of the boss.  If you are worried about the chest, just solo it.  Faster and more reliable.

EDIT: I just noticed that you implied all the spiders.  You know what you could of done for the same cost of FTS? FoD.  BAM! Ogre dead, spiders freed.  Wail works to, very effective and sp efficient before the first book.
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2011 at 9:22am by Epoch »  

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #94 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 9:27am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 9:21am:
EDIT: I just noticed that you implied all the spiders.  You know what you could of done for the same cost of FTS? FoD.  BAM! Ogre dead, spiders freed.  Wail works to, very effective and sp efficient before the first book.

Edited for clarity:

Normally I PUG Dust. Generally I'll run through the dungeon FoD Ogres before the end fight; then at the end fight I'll FtS the spiders to keep them out of the way of the melees. I thought, being vermin, they were immune to mind effects.

Killing everything in the end room is almost certainly a more efficient way of going about it (especially if I was a sorceror with limited spell slots). I guess it's more force of habit; fixating on the idea of not killing spiders when there's little reason not to by that stage.
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2011 at 9:38am by Boatman »  

Argonessen

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #95 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Boatman wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 9:27am:
Edited for clarity:

Normally I PUG Dust. Generally I'll run through the dungeon FoD Ogres before the end fight; then at the end fight I'll FtS the spiders to keep them out of the way of the melees. I thought, being vermin, they were immune to mind effects.

Killing everything in the end room is almost certainly a more efficient way of going about it (especially if I was a sorceror with limited spell slots). I guess it's more force of habit; fixating on the idea of not killing spiders when there's little reason not to by that stage.

Hypno works for me, every time.  If it is supposed to, I would assume not, but it does.  Shh, dont tell the devs.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #96 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 10:04am
Print Post  
Please keep telling me this stuff... Wink

Argonessen

IP Logged

Cyr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #97 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 10:13am
Print Post  

I kind of assumed that this sample number was for a level 1 caster and it scaled based upon caster level.

Can't say I like the idea in any way shape or form.  Just seems like it will either be a pointless waste of development time with potential bugs or an encouragment for players to sit around waiting for another maxed firewall depending upon the final full numbers.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #98 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Boatman wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 10:04am:
Please keep telling me this stuff... Wink

I am a praised member for the movement of No FTS!

Yes, I did make this movement up just now.  Although I will never carry the spell, ever.  Not even on my wizard.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Boatman
Dragon Raider

Too lazy for drama

Reply #99 - Mar 24th, 2011 at 10:33am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Mar 24th, 2011 at 10:30am:
Yes, I did make this movement up just now.  Although I will never carry the spell, ever.  Not even on my wizard.

What's your objection? Isn't it quite useful again in Reaver's Refuge for Frost Giants, then again in ToD for Orthons? (Disclaimer - I have never run ToD.)

Argonessen

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint