Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Rangers (Read 16133 times)
Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Rangers
May 25th, 2011 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
So been kinda bored with my existing characters lately, and was trying to find something different. I haven't played a character with a majority of levels being Ranger, so thought that might be an option. However, after the reaming that Tempest got after the U5 'fix', I have no idea whether or not Tempest is viable/desireable, whatever.

So, some questions, and hopefully someone will have some answers:

1. Is Tempest still a viable DPS option for endgame? Or did the nerfs do too much damage?

2. Is Tempest III worth it? Seems kinda meh to me, so was thinking maybe something like 7 Rogue/1 Barb, but not sure how valuable the stuff I'd be missing would be.

3. How viable is the self-healing route? I know that it takes some feats (Maximize/Quicken), and that it requires some gear like Torc. Is it worthwhile before you get the awesome gear?

4. AC worth it, or fuck it?

5. Khopesh is the obvious weapon, but what races could be in the running? Would it be gimping it too much to run with rapiers (mainly for a change of pace, but not wedded to it).

6. Anything else I'm missing?

Theologians don't know nothin' about my soul

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Re: Rangers
Reply #1 - May 25th, 2011 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on May 25th, 2011 at 3:55pm:
So been kinda bored with my existing characters lately, and was trying to find something different. I haven't played a character with a majority of levels being Ranger, so thought that might be an option. However, after the reaming that Tempest got after the U5 'fix', I have no idea whether or not Tempest is viable/desireable, whatever.

1. Is Tempest still a viable DPS option for endgame? Or did the nerfs do too much damage?
it works ok for me
2. Is Tempest III worth it? Seems kinda meh to me, so was thinking maybe something like 7 Rogue/1 Barb, but not sure how valuable the stuff I'd be missing would be.
I cant answer that
3. How viable is the self-healing route? I know that it takes some feats (Maximize/Quicken), and that it requires some gear like Torc. Is it worthwhile before you get the awesome gear?
I do wand/pot/wand/pot

with a gring I can see iit working
5. Khopesh is the obvious weapon, but what races could be in the running? Would it be gimping it too much to run with rapiers (mainly for a change of pace, but not wedded to it).
not sure
you get some bow action even with tempest, so dont discount it.

Specific answers in red.

I run a 14/6 tempII/KensaiI dorf. Pretty sturdy and can solo a bunch of content. AC is meh, but I could see getting it higher in some different ways. I went 14 ranger for FOM. An elf build with scimitars would be good too.

I am not sure about the 18/1/1 builds. Jaxx has one that is pretty nice.

In any event, it is fun to pew pew pew occasionally.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2011 at 4:11pm by stainer »  

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #2 - May 25th, 2011 at 4:23pm
Print Post  

Yes.

Quote:

You're missing FoM (very nice), Tempest III (nice), and 2 more Favored Enemies which also increase all Favored Enemy damage (very nice).  Plus lots of spell points, if you're into the casting.  Short answer: it's valuable.

Quote:

The only gear it requires is an Ardor clicky and maybe an archmagi item, which are a dime-a-dozen in Amrath.  Everyone with a blue bar requires a torc, amiright?  You'll probably be human if you go this route.

Quote:

I'm not an AC expert.  Probably more feasible if you go with a finesse build, and you probably don't have the feats to both focus on AC (expertise + finess) and self-healing (maximize, maybe quicken).

Quote:

Your race kind of depends on what you want to do with the character.  Use halfling for AC builds.  Humans for healing amp or feats if you need them.  Dwarf for nice DPS/HP options.  Etc.

Also, I'm not sure I understand what connection you're drawing between race and weapon choice...

Quote:

Pewpewpew.  Don't leave home without it.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2011 at 4:30pm
Print Post  

My ranger self-heals and the only things that he has are Ardor clickies (I recently switched to potions because I don't want to mess with weapon swapping) and Healing Amp.

Human 30% healing amp + Paladin Past Life 5% + Ship 10% + Levik's Bracers 20% = 1.3*1.05*1.1*1.2 = 180% healing.

Cure Serious Wounds spell cast on myself does over 100 HP of healing and that's plenty to keep myself out of trouble.  I might have to dance around a little in order to cast repeated Cure spells, but that's fine if I'm soloing.

Maximise OR Empower Healing would significantly boost his per-cast healing numbers, but would lower his HP/SP efficiency. 

I only have a Concordant Opposition item on him currently, but that's because I don't farm ADQ on him.  He's pretty much parked in the Shroud now.

fnord

IP Logged

Jaxx
Fleet Admiral

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2011 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on May 25th, 2011 at 4:08pm:
I am not sure about the 18/1/1 builds. Jaxx has one that is pretty nice.

My personal build is a single TR Halfling 14Rgr/4Ftr/2 Monk.

Never ran an Exploiter.  My opinion is they fall too much in the middle of the road for DPS while not having the AC to survive end game solo looting without a HUGE investment in Epic gear grinding (If it is even possible). 

They do alot of things well and are great support for a full party but not enough on their own (again my opinion).

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2011 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on May 25th, 2011 at 4:23pm:
Your race kind of depends on what you want to do with the character.  Use halfling for AC builds.  Humans for healing amp or feats if you need them.  Dwarf for nice DPS/HP options.  Etc.

Also, I'm not sure I understand what connection you're drawing between race and weapon choice...

Mostly poor wording on my part. I'm assuming Khopesh, but wasn't sure what races I should be considering (Human seems to be the standard exploiter, but Dwarf/Halfling/Horc all seem nice). The rapier thing was an aside, but I can see how it would muddle my main question.

I had forgotten about FOM, though, which is an important consideration. Not really interested in finesse or combat expertise, so I guess that rules out AC as well.

Maybe like a traditional exploiter shell (18/1/1) with minimal Dex for dodge that acts like a Kensei with casting/evasion?

I always forget to pewpewpew. I have a gimpy Tempest rogue with the Silver Longbow and half the time I forget to keep myself stocked on arrows. Tongue

IP Logged

Siver
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2011 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on May 25th, 2011 at 4:23pm:

Race has a very strong connection with weapon choice.

Elves use scimitars.

Drow use rapiers.

Dwarves use dwarven axes.

All races use khopeshes.

With the racial bonuses, each one of these can approach the power of the khopesh (except the khopesh, but that SHOULD be self-evident, right?), exchanging the feat cost for an enhancement cost. So, if you have a few extra enhancement points, but not enough feats and/or stats, you pick a race that doesn't require khopeshes, and has stats that work with your planned build, and then you dance.

The dancing is mandatory. Wink

As far as rangers go, I don't deal with them much yet, so can't offer much beyond general advice, which other people have covered pretty well already.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #7 - May 25th, 2011 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Siver wrote on May 25th, 2011 at 5:17pm:
Race has a very strong connection with weapon choice.

I understand that.  I didn't understand his question as it was worded.
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2011 at 5:24pm by Schmoe »  

-Waters

IP Logged

Siver
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2011 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on May 25th, 2011 at 5:24pm:
I understand that.  I didn't understand his question as it was worded.

Huh. Sorry, thought it grabbed his part as well as yours when I quoted. Most of my post was actually aimed at him, really. Basically, I was trying to point out that if he wanted to play certain races, he could get away with not using khopeshes, if he really wanted, and didn't mind losing a little damage.

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2011 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Siver wrote on May 25th, 2011 at 5:30pm:
Huh. Sorry, thought it grabbed his part as well as yours when I quoted. Most of my post was actually aimed at him, really. Basically, I was trying to point out that if he wanted to play certain races, he could get away with not using khopeshes, if he really wanted, and didn't mind losing a little damage.

Yeah, the thought had occurred to me, mainly in the form of Dwarf with DA. Not a ton of interest in going with either of the -2 Con races, though. Too used to playing WF, I suppose.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #10 - May 25th, 2011 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on May 25th, 2011 at 5:45pm:
Yeah, the thought had occurred to me, mainly in the form of Dwarf with DA. Not a ton of interest in going with either of the -2 Con races, though. Too used to playing WF, I suppose.

I just made a elf AA. i tend to die if i play her right after playing my WF barbarian and try to keep playing like a warforged barbarian.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

JoJI
Korthos Resident

Reply #11 - May 25th, 2011 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
I have an Exploiter, and I really dig the character. Gear's a pain, but otherwise so far he's lived up to what I wanted. Baring in mind I've only done a single Genesis Point as anything past Reaver's Refuge, so that might discredit all I'm about to say.

A) With a MinII and LitII I'm happy. But it depends on if you think Amrath is end game.

A) Depends if you want the TempestIII +1 AC boost, 1 less penalty for TWF, and 5% chance at doublestrike. I know my next exploiter probably wont. In which case I'm thinking 15rng/3rog/2mnk. That should give me a few more skill points, 1d6 SA, and a feat.

A) It's worth it. I didn't like CE so Empower Healing plus an Ardor clicky could be very nice.

A) Very worth it with the grind. It took me a MinII with +4 insight, Icy, Chattering Ring, and Mabar cloak but it keeps me safe from most trash. Up to Genesis Point on norm, mind you.

A) I don't know how much Khopesh's are the obvious answer. For anything without a racial weapon sure. Anything with I'd probably go with that.

A) At least from an exploiter view,

UMD. I swapped CE for SF UMD and I should be a greensteel away from no failing anything. That's with the Delara's necklace, Spyglass, +6 CHA item, and GH or Human Versitility with points left over. That was with a starting CHA of 8 and a supreme tome at lvl7.

An INT of 10 on a human at start lets you max ranks on UMD, DD, Search, Spot and Balance/OL with a rog lvl. You'll need a +2 tome and some catch up if you take a level in monk

Manyshot with a STR damaging bow butchers beholders and living spells.

All and all a mostly Ranger can be a very well rounded character. Good DPS, a bunch of skills points, and some decent spells (Rams Might, Resists, Barkskin, Longstrider, Jump).

He's a secondary/support character though, I feel. Not top DPS, not the best buffs, and you really need to multiclass to gain access to the best skills.

And again. Amrath on normal is as far as I've gotten him. Erndhart on Argo if that helps discredit anything I've just typed.

I still don't know what YaBB is

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #12 - May 26th, 2011 at 12:05am
Print Post  

Right-o, carry on.

-Waters

IP Logged

Ghaldar
Korthos Resident

Speaking of poultry have
you seen my cock?

Reply #13 - May 26th, 2011 at 9:18am
Print Post  

Schmoe wrote on May 26th, 2011 at 12:05am:
Right-o, carry on.

You two can get a room now.  Way to fucking polite for this forum.  GFY   Wink Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #14 - May 26th, 2011 at 9:41am
Print Post  
Ghaldar wrote on May 26th, 2011 at 9:18am:
You two can get a room now.  Way to fucking polite for this forum.  GFY   Wink Cheesy Grin

What a cock.   Hehe.

-Waters

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #15 - May 26th, 2011 at 11:52am
Print Post  
JoJI wrote on May 25th, 2011 at 11:39pm:
Snip

Hmm. Some interesting stuff to think over. Doesn't sound like AC will be for me on this character, as I have zero interest in grinding for a Chattering Ring.  Cheesy

Maybe I will try out a 12 Ranger/7 Rogue/1 Barb build. Not that much worse DPS with aggro than an Exploiter, but much better without aggro. Seems promising.

Or maybe go 1 Monk and pick up SF:UMD, as I do like the idea of an easier no-fail heal scroll.

How do people gear their TWF rangers? I threw together a rough idea of gearing, but it seems like if you go with the Ravager set, it can be hard to slot in +5 Resistance, which seems important what with the evasion and all.
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2011 at 11:54am by Vissarion »  

IP Logged

CrosisBlackwing
Korthos Resident

Cookies! Nom nom nom

Reply #16 - May 26th, 2011 at 12:16pm
Print Post  
The only issue I see with a 12 rgr/7rg/1 barb is that you would be higher DPS just by adding more rogue. Obviously you aren't going to want aggro because you are probably going to end up squishy with that split.
I would suggest running something to what Stainer suggested, something like 12rgr/6ftr/2mnk you end up being able to focus on AC if you decide you want to (I self buff to 65ish without CE, Str build) or you could go more DPS by using a Horc. The difference here is that you will be over 600 hp pretty easily with a 45hp GS (My Ranger was rolled in Jan and would hit over 700 fighting harry [x2 Mad])

Pros of going 12/14 instead of 18
1. Full resists and Barkskin
2. 100% Off hand Proc
3. 3 Favored Enemies
4. If 14 you get FoM

18 Gets all the same things that the 12 does, but requires 18 Levels to increase the stuff you gain minorly

Helf with Rogue Dilletante (or Cleric for lvling) is strong (3d6 Sneaks)
Or Horc obviously for DPS
Human/Halfling for AC (I know Halfling Hits higher AC, but that is mostly mitigated through the extra feat and Adaptability)
and Dorf if you prefer being more sturdy than any of the above.

IP Logged

someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Reply #17 - May 26th, 2011 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
you wont have the AC to tank raid bosses unless you have tons of gear, tomes, and possibly more than 32 pts.

couple good options for rangers
18rgr/1ftr/1mnk human dodge, mob, spring attack, quicken, empower healing, improved crit pierce or slash (choice of rapiers vs scimitars), maximize, OTWF, toughness, pa. str based. good trash AC plenty of self healing and decent dmg. could also strictly use min2s and drop IC. or use min2 khops and replace IC with khop prof.

18rgr/1rg/1mnk human essentially same meat feats replace metas with umd skill focus or khop proficiency. pick up max umd and trap skills.

12rgr/7rg/1mnk or ftr (+/- 1 bab lose wis AC bonus) this build is very good too picking up higher tiers of haste boosts, SA, max umd trap skills. tbh this build does more damage as a halfling with tod bursts using unarmed in wind stance. even than khops. tempest bonuses work with unarmed. youre not doing a lot of base damage with the wraps but the sheer amount of attacks with tod bursts and offhands + SA adds up a lot.

IP Logged

JoJI
Korthos Resident

Reply #18 - May 26th, 2011 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on May 26th, 2011 at 11:52am:
How do people gear their TWF rangers? I threw together a rough idea of gearing, but it seems like if you go with the Ravager set, it can be hard to slot in +5 Resistance, which seems important what with the evasion and all.

I know a lot of people swap in a dps gear set that has the Ravager set in it.

I don't personally use a +5 resistance. Can't seem to find room, so Icy's +4 gets me by. Without a monk AC build though I'd slot the resistance on a Dragontouched armor.

I still don't know what YaBB is

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #19 - May 27th, 2011 at 8:48am
Print Post  
JoJI wrote on May 26th, 2011 at 10:16pm:
I know a lot of people swap in a dps gear set that has the Ravager set in it.

I don't personally use a +5 resistance. Can't seem to find room, so Icy's +4 gets me by. Without a monk AC build though I'd slot the resistance on a Dragontouched armor.

Pretty much what I do.  My ranger's AC will never be worth much, so I put guards and +5 resist on a DT outfit.

-Waters

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #20 - May 27th, 2011 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
The U5 Tempest nerfs hurt rangers but not as badly as people think, I’ll also never say that on the DDO forums.  Just be willing to swap around favored enemies when you change the focus of the content you run.

Tempest III is a double-edge sword . . . I have two 18/1/1 rangers both STR-based.   I have two friends who TR’d into Ranger 12/rogue 7/Monk 1 and the biggest difference is they can’t hit a fucking thing and I don’t have problems at all.  12/7/1 splits have better “spreadsheet” DPS but they lack to-hit which fucks them in epics.  The biggest advantage of Tempest III is the lack of to-hit penalties and the +3 benefit from the Tempest ToD set.  Sure, the other splashes do more damage on paper but you aren’t doing shit for DPS if you aren’t hitting.

The Self healing is VERY viable.  Take Maximize or Empowered healing.  My human’s CSW (Empowered healing) between Amrath clike and healing amp hits for about 180 and I only have 20% Human amp, 10% airship, and 20% from leviks or a ToD ring, at 22 SP a cast I get over 25 of these heals.  I run epics with casters and no healer all the time and keep myself alive, my kensai stays on the airship for this stuff.

AC is worth it, absolutely but GEAR for it don’t BUILD for it.  The best option is the classic Exploiter but take a healing meta-magic instead of Combat Expertise.  Both my 18/1/1s are level-ups in STR with not AC feat except for Tempest III pre-recs.  Both can break 80 AC with power-attack on (the elf will be able to hit 90 when I’m done with her).  I’ve tanked Sulu in Tower Elite on both my 18/1/1 rangers in our Elite ToD trifecta a week ago (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=319441) and though it wasn’t pretty it works.

AC is situational and the amount you can get on an STR build that’s gear only works out great.  When you can get it you’ll be glad you had it.  When you don’t need it equip different stuff.   My human’s wear Icy Rainments and Epic Scorched bracers when in Amrath, Epic Red Dragon Robe and Levik’s in Epic Fens.

Human is the best race for an 18/1/1 Khopesh user.  There’s nothing wrong with elf or dorf 18/1/1 using their racial weapons, the DPS difference isn’t that much.  One of mine is an Elf, but she’s my first toon and is more of a ‘flavor’ build than an optimal build.  The problem on a non-human Khopesh user is you’re a feat shy which means no healing meta-magic which sucks worse than any DPS advantage a half-orc brings to the table.  You don’t have a lot of feat discretion on a tempest. 

That’s about it

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #21 - May 27th, 2011 at 1:18pm
Print Post  
someguy wrote on May 26th, 2011 at 12:21pm:
you wont have the AC to tank raid bosses unless you have tons of gear, tomes, and possibly more than 32 pts.

You'll never be able to do Horoth (though I have been forced to do it a few times when a main-tank died), but anything else in the game can be done in a 32 point life.
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2011 at 1:22pm by Bigjunk »  

IP Logged

someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Reply #22 - May 27th, 2011 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
and they have gear Tongue ac gear includes (of the harder things to get) +4 insight gs, +8 armor bracers (even lootgen these are expensive), icy, chattering. could skimp on a few of those with higher pt builds. which is why i just said possibly more than 32 pt builds since i dont know what hes working with. but ya you can reasonably tank sulu or any other non horoth  non epic raid boss  on any difficulty as a ranger with the adequate gear even on 32 pts. ac is a very misunderstood thing in ddo and it doesnt take much to swap ac and dps gear to significantly increase one or the other.
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2011 at 1:45pm by someguy »  

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #23 - May 27th, 2011 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on May 27th, 2011 at 1:17pm:
The U5 Tempest nerfs hurt rangers but not as badly as people think, I’ll also never say that on the DDO forums.  Just be willing to swap around favored enemies when you change the focus of the content you run.

Tempest III is a double-edge sword . . . I have two 18/1/1 rangers both STR-based.   I have two friends who TR’d into Ranger 12/rogue 7/Monk 1 and the biggest difference is they can’t hit a fucking thing and I don’t have problems at all.  12/7/1 splits have better “spreadsheet” DPS but they lack to-hit which fucks them in epics.  The biggest advantage of Tempest III is the lack of to-hit penalties and the +3 benefit from the Tempest ToD set.  Sure, the other splashes do more damage on paper but you aren’t doing shit for DPS if you aren’t hitting.

The Self healing is VERY viable.  Take Maximize or Empowered healing.  My human’s CSW (Empowered healing) between Amrath clike and healing amp hits for about 180 and I only have 20% Human amp, 10% airship, and 20% from leviks or a ToD ring, at 22 SP a cast I get over 25 of these heals.  I run epics with casters and no healer all the time and keep myself alive, my kensai stays on the airship for this stuff.

AC is worth it, absolutely but GEAR for it don’t BUILD for it.  The best option is the classic Exploiter but take a healing meta-magic instead of Combat Expertise.  Both my 18/1/1s are level-ups in STR with not AC feat except for Tempest III pre-recs.  Both can break 80 AC with power-attack on (the elf will be able to hit 90 when I’m done with her).  I’ve tanked Sulu in Tower Elite on both my 18/1/1 rangers in our Elite ToD trifecta a week ago (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=319441) and though it wasn’t pretty it works.

AC is situational and the amount you can get on an STR build that’s gear only works out great.  When you can get it you’ll be glad you had it.  When you don’t need it equip different stuff.   My human’s wear Icy Rainments and Epic Scorched bracers when in Amrath, Epic Red Dragon Robe and Levik’s in Epic Fens.

Human is the best race for an 18/1/1 Khopesh user.  There’s nothing wrong with elf or dorf 18/1/1 using their racial weapons, the DPS difference isn’t that much.  One of mine is an Elf, but she’s my first toon and is more of a ‘flavor’ build than an optimal build.  The problem on a non-human Khopesh user is you’re a feat shy which means no healing meta-magic which sucks worse than any DPS advantage a half-orc brings to the table.  You don’t have a lot of feat discretion on a tempest. 

That’s about it

Thanks for weighing in, Junk. A couple questions:

1. Are the attack bonus problems for 12/7/1 solely due to missing the Tempest Set+Tempest III (+4 attack, if I do my math right)? I know the BAB is lower, but seems like sneak attack accuracy, and either Madstone or DP clickies would help mitigate it.

Alternatively, would having something like Epic Raven's Sight + Epic Gem of Many Facets be an adequate remedy? Or would gearing become problematic with that setup?

2. When you say 'classic exploiter', do you mean the fairly even stat distribution, ala EinarMal? I have zero desire to grab CE, so Empower Healing would be an option, but was also thinking of taking advantage of the fact that Tempest only requires a 13 Dex, and do something like Max STR, minimum required DEX, High CON, and extra points into Int for skills. I assume that layout would fubar some of the traditional perks of an Exploiter, no?

My thoughts on AC have pretty much made it into a "nice to have while leveling" thing, and not something to really bother with beyond that. I have a Dex/Wis TR monk who will get to an 80 AC if she so much as sneezes, but it's pretty depressing to think that will be functionally useless in epics.  Sad

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #24 - May 27th, 2011 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on May 27th, 2011 at 2:24pm:
Thanks for weighing in, Junk. A couple questions:

1.      Are the attack bonus problems for 12/7/1 solely due to missing the Tempest Set+Tempest III (+4 attack, if I do my math right)? I know the BAB is lower, but seems like sneak attack accuracy, and either Madstone or DP clickies would help mitigate it.

One would think?  I don’t have the toons myself so I can’t say for certain.  I’ve made a conscious effort to get my to-hit as hit as possible (Epic Spectrals, Tempest set, madstone, etc . . .) and they simply might not be geared as well.  One of them was an 18/1/1 in his past life and said he didn’t have a problem then but does now.  He did just TR and epics AC’d got raised by about 4 so that also could account for it.

Alternatively, would having something like Epic Raven's Sight + Epic Gem of Many Facets be an adequate remedy? Or would gearing become problematic with that setup?

My gear’s listed in this post.  http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3813719&postcount=1215

Keep in mind he’s my favorite toon and I spend too much time pimping him out.  What I’m waiting for is the Epic Gem of Many facets change so I can wear Epic Spectrals with the Bracers of the Claw and still get the clawset bonus.  I have everything ready to go except for shards.

I like to keep the eye’s free for Tharnes, +5 to-hit that stacks with +4 from epic Spectrals.  I do have to turn off power-attack if I do have agro somethings but not that often.

2. When you say 'classic exploiter', do you mean the fairly even stat distribution, ala EinarMal? I have zero desire to grab CE, so Empower Healing would be an option, but was also thinking of taking advantage of the fact that Tempest only requires a 13 Dex, and do something like Max STR, minimum required DEX, High CON, and extra points into Int for skills. I assume that layout would fubar some of the traditional perks of an Exploiter, no?

I used that build for mine, 15-15-14-12-14-8.  I had Combat Expertise for a while then dropped it for a healing meta-magic once we got airship buffs and I got a zillion epic items.  When I TR him in a few days he be the same but with 16 starting STR.

I’m going to commit power-gamer heresy but I think starting max-STR on anything other than a barbarian (or a kensai who thinks he’s a barbarian) is foolish.  Those extra two build points just cost too much for what they are worth.  Starting at 16 STR as opposed to 18 costs you negligible DPS, not even a single % point, and robs you of some of the versatility.  If you’re going to build something that just hits stuff why build a ranger?  Other classes are better at that.

I like skill points so 12 INT is nice, it is nice getting traps in epic and having full UMD, the DEX and WIS give AC.  With a starting 15 DEX and no level-ups in DEX he can break a 40 Reflex save buffed.  All that stuff to me is worth more than +1 to-hit/damage.

My thoughts on AC have pretty much made it into a "nice to have while leveling" thing, and not something to really bother with beyond that. I have a Dex/Wis TR monk who will get to an 80 AC if she so much as sneezes, but it's pretty depressing to think that will be functionally useless in epics.  Sad

It’s useless in epics FOR NOW but this game is always changing, but the thing is with the 18/1/1 STR-build the AC is from gear, gear can be changed.  Insta-kills work now, who knows what’ll be in epics a month from now.   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint