Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Rangers (Read 16171 times)
someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Re: Rangers
Reply #50 - May 31st, 2011 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
while im no ddo math guru, i cant argue what youre saying Tongue nor would i probably anyways. but those guys in the thread discussing it ARE ddo math gurus and notable builders and dps calculators. while they worried it may not be intentional that tempest offhand bonuses works with unarmed they were still acknowledging its potential if it does work. just sayin i played it and it was absolutely insane. i pulled aggro off all kinds of tanks unintentionally with as much -threat i could get and i didnt even have the good tod rings lol. worth a try either way. two simple feat swaps make the transition from unarmed to khop if you already had some made.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #51 - May 31st, 2011 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
You don't need to be a math-guru to plug stuff in the DPS calc, and RAPIERS with the Ravager set beats un-armed in the 12/7/1, they don't make Lightning strike handwraps.

I'll read the whole thread . . .

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #52 - May 31st, 2011 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on May 31st, 2011 at 3:15pm:
You don't need to be a math-guru to plug stuff in the DPS calc, and RAPIERS with the Ravager set beats un-armed in the 12/7/1, they don't make Lightning strike handwraps.

This.

also, Ravager set wouldn't work with Unarmed anyhow. My monk has to use Crusty. Tongue

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #53 - May 31st, 2011 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on May 31st, 2011 at 3:15pm:

They do however, make +5 holy silver greater banes, which even for rapier, is better than greensteels. 

Ur wrong.  Despite having a lower crit range, handwraps have a higher STR multiplier and a slightly lower damage multiplier.  When you factor in fortification, handwraps are clearly better. 

The biggest problem with using handwraps as top DPS is (was?) the lack of greensteel equivalents.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #54 - May 31st, 2011 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on May 31st, 2011 at 5:04pm:
They do however, make +5 holy silver greater banes, which even for rapier, is better than greensteels. 

Are you talking about wraps?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #55 - May 31st, 2011 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on May 31st, 2011 at 5:04pm:

Ur wrong.  Despite having a lower crit range, handwraps have a higher STR multiplier and a slightly lower damage multiplier.  When you factor in fortification, handwraps are clearly better. 

The biggest problem with using handwraps as top DPS is (was?) the lack of greensteel equivalents. 

Yeah, let me go get my voluminous collection of silver-threaded handwraps!

Oh, wait...

Theologians don't know nothin' about my soul

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - May 31st, 2011 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
I dont see how that's any worse than including +4 tomes, epic marilith chains or epic SS like so many builds I see posted. 

I even stated that lack of GS equivalents is the biggest problem with wraps.
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2011 at 5:44pm by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #57 - May 31st, 2011 at 7:00pm
Print Post  
Well, snarkiness aside, I am curious as to how you get more DPS from unarmed versus khopesh. I fiddled around with it in AO's most recent DPS spreadsheet, and it looks like Khopesh comes out ahead at both 0% and 50% fort, while being behind at 100%. But I am admittedly not 100% comfortable with the spreadsheet; I mainly use it since the other DPS calc I used to use is outdated now.

Assumptions are the same for both builds, except where unarmed obviously differs from actual weapons. Unarmed gets +5 Holy of Greater Bane + Holy Burst Ring + Shocking Burst Ring + Shintao/FB Set. Khopeshes get Lit IIs, Ravager/Shintao. Both get +6 seeker and 5 25s Haste Boosts over a 5 min period. Unarmed is at -2 STR versus Khopesh due to missing exceptional STR, since I assume that unarmed would use Wind Stance for the doublestrike.

Theologians don't know nothin' about my soul

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #58 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 12:51am
Print Post  
I don't know if unarmed beats khops or not, but the calculator doesn't include DR by default.  A better/more realistic comparison might be:

metalline of greater bane wraps vs. min II's or holy silver greater bane khops

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #59 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 3:20am
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on May 31st, 2011 at 1:40pm:
If I could ever pull a Shintao ring (seriously, in HUNDREDS of ToDs my rangers don't have them) I'd use it situationally.  My human has 4 Tempest rings and my Elf 2, different Imbues for what they're doing.

Regarding the Horoth thing, I like having enough HP to laugh off a disintegrate, very tough to do that on a ranger.  My human double-madstoned breaks 600 but it's hard to do double-madstone when you need boots of anchoring Smiley

You break 600 double madstoned? My monk hits 694 double madstoned, earth stance makes it 734.  Weak.  I call a ranger reroll.  DOWN TO ALL RANGERS!

That being said.  Rangers are one of my favorite classes.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #60 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 8:40am
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on May 31st, 2011 at 5:43pm:
I dont see how that's any worse than including +4 tomes, epic marilith chains or epic SS like so many builds I see posted. 

I even stated that lack of GS equivalents is the biggest problem with wraps. 

Crafting is easy enough, I'll have +4 Holy Burst Silver of GLOB weapons on all my toons in about 2 weeks at the rate I'm going.

They still don't beat lightnings against trash.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #61 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Just noticed with AO's DPS calc . . . with wraps I'm getting the same number of attack per minute as I'm getting with Khopesh/rapiers.   

Do you fudge it by 10%?  if that's the case it is looking like wraps do come out ahead.

IP Logged

someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Reply #62 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:19am
Print Post  
right and something about 100% offhand strikes.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #63 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:29am
Print Post  
someguy wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:19am:
right and something about 100% offhand strikes.

It doesn't give 100% STR on off-hand either.  So the calc looks like it's wrong, looks like you need to fudge the off-hand STR manually and then multiple by 1.1 for the extra 10% you get with wraps over TWFing.  Looks like wraps might actually be ahead.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #64 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Rans some new calc with the appropriate Fudging for a !2/7/1 . . .

40 STR -  should be able to get more but this is a decent number for a non- Half-orc (human for the Extra Sneak of Shadows feat).

Khopesh has:
-  Shintao
-  Ravager
-  2 more STR for not having to put bursts on ToD rings
-  Numbers crunched for Lightning II and +4 Holyburst of GLOB (best thing craftable)

Handwraps has:
-  Shintao
-  Frenzied Berzerker
-  Holy and Shocking bursts on ToD rings
-  DPS Calc'd fudge for 100% off-hand STR and 10% increase in DPS do to the un-accounted for attack speed.

Both have epic charged gauntlets and Sneak of Shadows PL feat (advantage goes to hand wraps her do to the number of swings).  It's a 3 minute fight so Sneak of Shadows is on the whole time.  Here's what I'm getting for 12/7/1s . . .

+4 Holy Silver of GLOB
582.46 0% fort
450.94 50% fort Devil DR

Lighting II Khopesh      
615.67 0% Fort      
429.25 50% fort, DR 15 (wouldn't use above normal anyway)

+4 Holy Silver of GLOB with holy and Shocking burst ToD rings
597.05  0% fort      
491.04  50% fort Devils.

So handwraps wins against Harry/Sulu/Horoth but Lighting II wins against trash (Same with rapiers).  You also don't have to put bursts on your ToD rings and 450 Devil-DR DPS is VERY respectable (beats a full-retard maxxed Barbarian with a Devil's Ruin ESoS). 

Handwraps is a good choice for the 12/7/1 but I'd stay with blades as the primary weapon.  Radiance weapons are much better with large crit-ranges, my friend's rapier user has +4 Flame-touched WoPs that absolutely destroy anything in non epic.  It's close enough that it's a matter of personal preference.

18/1/1 are better off not using wraps, numbers don't favor them.
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2011 at 10:42am by Bigjunk »  

IP Logged

someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Reply #65 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 11:01am
Print Post  
cool! math and smart/motivated dudes ftw. if i were to redo mine i'd drop stunning blow and take both paladin and rogue active pl. i may just do that for fun anyways because i like playing ranger lives Tongue

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #66 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 11:09am
Print Post  
And no fudging is needed . . .  I'm just too stupid to select "Unarmed" from the fighting style, though it did it automatically when you selected that as the weapon.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint