Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) SoS Scroll.... WTF? (Read 12127 times)
AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: SoS Scroll.... WTF?
Reply #25 - May 26th, 2011 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on May 26th, 2011 at 9:53pm:
If the offer was legit, what do you care?
If the offer wasn't legit, he's not getting shit for it.

Cale, you should really read up on shill bidding. 

http://www.google.com/search?&q=why+is+shill+bidding+illegal

The bidder often ends up paying more, because there is inconvenience cost and opportunity cost of wasting time bidding on a bullshit auction, and those costs are often higher than the amount you could save by waiting and taking part in a legit auction. 

Basically, it fucks over pareto efficiency. 

It also psychologically creates unwarranted hype around whatever is being sold, causing people to think it's more valuable than it actually is.  If a charlatan sells someone a bottle of water for $500 by saying it is divine holy water blessed by god, it doesn't mean it's worth $500. 

Also, whether or not he really is lying, the seller is a fucking douche. 
« Last Edit: May 26th, 2011 at 10:42pm by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #26 - May 26th, 2011 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
lol
I know what shill bidding is.
If the stated offer is too high for you, then don't bid.  What the fuck do you care if someone is shill bidding or not?  Either you're willing to beat the proposed bid or you're not, shill bidding be damned.
And there's no proof that anyone is indeed shill bidding.  There are baseless accusations with no evidence.  Just because an semi-silent auction goes for more then expected is not reason enough to accuse, especially when the primary accusers have absolutely zero affiliation with the economy in question.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - May 26th, 2011 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on May 26th, 2011 at 10:57pm:
lol
I know what shill bidding is.
If the stated offer is too high for you, then don't bid.  What the fuck do you care if someone is shill bidding or not? 

I care, because it's a shitty thing to do. 
Quote:
Either you're willing to beat the proposed bid or you're not, shill bidding be damned.

I think I've demonstrated in my previous post why there's no equivalency between "what you're willing to pay after shill bidding" and what an item is actually worth. 

Quote:
And there's no proof that anyone is indeed shill bidding. 

Of course there's no proof and there never will be.  That's why so many douchebags get away with it on ebay, because it's almost impossible to catch if they're careful enough. 

There is however, lots of circumstantial evidence:

-Multiple posters, including some who are very well known on khyber, saying the prices are BS. 

-Previous scroll selling for 9 FRDS, whereas the "high" bid is 20+.  And if were to take his word for that, even higher (25+?), since he's no longer posting bids. 

-No one coming forward to say they bid even remotely close to that. 

-He's a fucking douche with an inability to read properly and a misunderstanding of what the word "logic" means.  Note this is not an ad hominem.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #28 - May 27th, 2011 at 12:26am
Print Post  
The bottom line is this:  It shouldn't matter.
Decide what an item is worth to you.  Not what it's worth to everyone else in the world, but to you.  If the proclaimed offer is less then that amount, you bid on it.  Once the proclaimed offer exceeds that amount, you stop bidding on it.
Shillers shouldn't make a lick of difference, and if you get suckered into a shiller scheme you're a fucking idiot.  So whether this was or was not a shiller scheme shouldn't matter to anyone at all.   Especially not to people from other fucking servers.
The value won't change because of this.  They will still be worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for them.  No more, no less.
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2011 at 12:27am by Cale »  

IP Logged

Uhgungawa
King of the Vault

Life sucks, but she won't

Reply #29 - May 27th, 2011 at 12:32am
Print Post  
Damn, if I played more than once a month I'd sell the ones I have and be a Billionaire  Cheesy

When I think about me, I touch myself . Psst. Canada Sucks                

IP Logged

Intervention
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - May 27th, 2011 at 12:34am
Print Post  
Cale wrote on May 27th, 2011 at 12:26am:
Decide what an item is worth to you.  Not what it's worth to everyone else in the world, but to you.  If the proclaimed offer is less then that amount, you bid on it.  Once the proclaimed offer exceeds that amount, you stop bidding on it.
Shillers shouldn't make a lick of difference, and if you get suckered into a shiller scheme you're a fucking idiot.  So whether this was or was not a shiller scheme shouldn't matter to anyone at all.   Especially not to people from other fucking servers.
The value won't change because of this.  They will still be worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for them.  No more, no less.

I fully get what you mean, you're right it totally shouldn't matter.  But how far does that really last us?   The spectrum begins unbalancing itself.  That's why things are valued the way they are now and for the most part the servers are moderately close in terms of market value of high end game items.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #31 - May 27th, 2011 at 1:05am
Print Post  
Uhgungawa wrote on May 27th, 2011 at 12:32am:
Damn, if I played more than once a month I'd sell the ones I have and be a Billionaire  Cheesy

Or...you could just send them to me.  Smiley

(If you're talking about SoS scrolls, 1 will do! If you're talking about Red Dragon Scales, yeah send them all to me!)
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2011 at 1:07am by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #32 - May 27th, 2011 at 1:09am
Print Post  
Cale wrote on May 27th, 2011 at 12:26am:

Thats simply not how prices work. 

The purpose of a shill is to convince you that it is worth more to others than it actually is, which in turn increases the amount you're willing to pay for an item. 

What an item is worth to you IS influenced by what it's worth to others.  If you believe that people are willing to pay 20 reds, then you're likely to find that an acceptable price.  However, what are you going to think when you realize it is sold regularly for only 10? 

You're going to feel scammed. 

If you can't take my word for it, realize this: shill bidding is illegal everywhere in the U.S. and probably every western country.  If shill bidding "shouldn't matter," why is it ubiquitously prohibited? 

Lastly, about your assertion that falling for it makes you a "fucking idiot": that's a broad generalization you can't possibly support.  Unless you're willing to categorize anyone who has ever fallen for a scam as "a fucking idiot", you're wrong. 
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2011 at 1:10am by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #33 - May 27th, 2011 at 1:16am
Print Post  
That's why the whole "deciding what the item is worth to you" part comes first.  When that part comes first, the shill bids can't affect your price.  You already know how high you're willing to go.  If you get suckered into going higher because of shill bids, then that's your own damned fault.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #34 - May 27th, 2011 at 1:23am
Print Post  
Cale wrote on May 27th, 2011 at 1:16am:
That's why the whole "deciding what the item is worth to you" part comes first.

This important rule ranks very closely with "Decide who you're attracted to BEFORE you start drinking."

fnord

IP Logged

Intervention
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - May 27th, 2011 at 2:14am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on May 27th, 2011 at 1:23am:
This important rule ranks very closely with "Decide who you're attracted to BEFORE you start drinking."

And if you've forgotten that rule you can always fall back on the, "go in the bathroom, jerk off and then see if you still want to take her home" rule.

IP Logged

ScaredyCat
Ex Member

Reply #36 - May 27th, 2011 at 2:38am
Print Post  
Would a good counter be to find out some other recent SoS trades and just post those? I don't know of any recents though. It might just stop those driving up bidding and cause those watching to think also.

IP Logged

Chris79
Stormreaver Piker

Wanna a lollipop?

Reply #37 - May 27th, 2011 at 2:47am
Print Post  
Cale wrote on May 27th, 2011 at 1:16am:
That's why the whole "deciding what the item is worth to you" part comes first.  When that part comes first, the shill bids can't affect your price.  You already know how high you're willing to go.  If you get suckered into going higher because of shill bids, then that's your own damned fault.

^ This

A fool and his money are soon parted - Thomas Tusser

-----------------------------------------------
Pyrric, Drilltex, Drilltor, Drillsworn - Khyber

IP Logged

Zigana
Vaultgina

Reply #38 - May 27th, 2011 at 2:59am
Print Post  
I dunno about you all, but my guess is the people that actually HAVE 20+ reds know what the going price is on most items, or if not, are willing to listen to the thoughts thrown out by other well known forumites.  I know I wouldn't make a big ticket decision like that without asking around first, assuming I didn't already know it's worth/what I'd be willing to pay for it if I really wanted it. 

So, either he is shill bidding, which in that case, I think he's pretty much screwed himself because I can't believe someone would go that much over price for it, no matter how much they wanted it.  Or he's not, and someone is really really really fucking stupid for paying that much (at the price being offered now, it's past desperation, IMO).

Either way, I highly doubt you'd get more than one insane person to pay that price, much less another one in the future, so I have a hard time seeing how this is going to effect the economy overall.

Strakeln wrote on Apr 22nd, 2013 at 11:55am:
Zigana was in compliance with all rules.

Gawna did a good job at enforcing the rules as she understood them.

Stainer is the rules lawyer.

Hands down, Zigana is the Vault's best poster.

Disavowed wrote on Apr 22nd, 2013 at 1:27pm:
I'm not sure about best poster but I know for sure she's got the most balls of all the posters.

IP Logged

Mister_Peace
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - May 27th, 2011 at 3:33am
Print Post  
Shill bidding is less useful when the winning bid is
enforced
and/or taxed
which, I didn't really read the thread Cheesy but I am fairly sure, aren't happening here.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #40 - May 27th, 2011 at 6:03am
Print Post  
I just has a sad now, because I'm pretty sure a SOS scroll will be more impossible to obtain than a unicorn, for me. Oh well. Plain SOS is still worth having between 10 and 12 anyway, I guess.

What is the most efficient thing to do to try and obtain one, if you aren't rich? Farm the mobs in VON1?

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #41 - May 27th, 2011 at 6:08am
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on May 27th, 2011 at 6:03am:
I just has a sad now, because I'm pretty sure a SOS scroll will be more impossible to obtain than a unicorn, for me. Oh well. Plain SOS is still worth having between 10 and 12 anyway, I guess.

What is the most efficient thing to do to try and obtain one, if you aren't rich? Farm the mobs in VON1?

I know people that farm von 1/2/3/4 and 5.  I think it is more preference really.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #42 - May 27th, 2011 at 6:10am
Print Post  
God, I really need to work out how this scroll farming thing works.

Reckon it's possible on a sort-of-geared spell pen / evocationy cleric that I'm a bit out of practice with?

Cheesy

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #43 - May 27th, 2011 at 6:15am
Print Post  
With the spell changes, BB is awesomesauce - even more so then before.  Get bakc in the groove and the power of solo farming is yours.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #44 - May 27th, 2011 at 9:20am
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on May 27th, 2011 at 6:03am:

Farm VoN's.  They drop.  Scroll farmers make their living of people to lazy or to impatient to farm.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #45 - May 27th, 2011 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on May 27th, 2011 at 9:20am:
Farm VoN's.  They drop.  Scroll farmers make their living of people to lazy or to impatient to farm.

Like me.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Scupperer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - May 27th, 2011 at 9:33am
Print Post  
I farm VoN5 with my evocation cleric, it's really not hard at all.  Although I admit I haven't done it at all since Update 9.  You can clear out...either 34 or 39 mobs before hitting locked doors and also have access to a shrine.  Most of them are zombies (there are 7-ish WF), which are slow-moving and hurt significantly by Radiant Bursts.

You could probably farm other quests as well, but that's a nice place to start for a cleric.
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2011 at 9:33am by Scupperer »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #47 - May 27th, 2011 at 9:34am
Print Post  
I gotta say that I don't think an SoS scroll is any more valuable than a Charged Gauntlets, Gloves of Claw scroll.  They are all anywhere from 4-7 reds in value depending on how desperate the buyer and or seller are.

Supply trails demand for all three. 

I don't think it's inappropriate to comment on the price of an item in an auction thread, however.  If someone is putting something up for bid a comment about recent pricing/historical pricing is fine and appropriate.  Not everyone knows how much things are valued at. 

The buyer is certainly free to ignore historical pricing and/or the opinions presented and bid higher (or lower) based on their personal perspective.

I think the seller reacted quite agresively to such posts.  That leads me to believe he/she was not motivated to make a fair trade with a buyer.  Not saying that I know if the seller was posting false offers that did not actually exist.  But clearly, the seller did not want community opinions on the value of his merchandise to be discussed.  Thus the seller knew the offers were far over fair market value.

a seller with a clear conscience does not react the way this one did.

IP Logged

Asketes
Puppy Farmer

Perma

Reply #48 - May 27th, 2011 at 9:59am
Print Post  
Last I saw a Gloves of Claw scroll sell, it was for 10mill on open trades.

saw another for 9 reds go.

As far as I could tell, those seems pretty fair.

I always thought the sos/charged scrolls were more like 4/5.

Thoughts?

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #49 - May 27th, 2011 at 10:17am
Print Post  
I just wanna say, trades go for what people will trade for them.  Some people will pay what may seem like to you outrageous sums.

Fact of the matter is, it doesn't really matter if any of you do or do not like it.  If someone will pay the seemingly outrageous cost, why take less when that person will pay more? Business is about profit, trading can be viewed as supply and demand business.  He has the supply, some people just have a higher demand.

Oh well, suck on a lollipop if it really makes you that buttsore.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint