Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Epic VON6 on a bard (Read 2347 times)
ZeroBoost
Titan Demolisher

res ipsa loquitur

Epic VON6 on a bard
Jun 1st, 2011 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Got back to 20 on my TR melee bard, and decided that I wanted to do an eVON6. I had been in others on my fighter, and since I knew I was going to do the quest with my bard eventually I watched what the other bards were doing in those runs. The run I did completed, but I died 4 times on fire. So I have a few questions about where to go exactly while my fascinate song is running, and how not to die on fire base.

I saw the other bards run to the Velah side of each base, is this the correct spot?

When should I start playing my song? I had started about 8 steps from the dirt on the bridge, is that too soon? It seemed like I was getting the enemies nearest me but not the ones behind the djinn.

I have a perform score of 52 buffed, it seemed like at least one would save each time. Should it be higher?

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Re: Epic VON6 on a bard
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:22am
Print Post  
The way we usually run it is we have an evasion character lead the way into the base and catch the agro first on each base.  The bard comes in just behind that character and fascinates.  This generally means the bard isn't taking 4 fireballs to the face and can position themselves away from where the character with the agro is.

I don't have a bard but I do run lead on my exploiter in which case I try to pull them all the way to the exit bridge as far away from the djinn as possible.  If they stay too close odds are some two hander will whack them and break facinate.
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:23am by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Short answer, I play start the songs when I hit the island, but I'm usually a little late.  It's better than being early though.

I find that more often than not the reason fire messes up is that the evasion is not given enough time.  It isn't so much a matter of where people go.

On Inkdrop I can stand in there for minutes at a time.  When I'm playing him I usually get picked to lead the charge.  However, everyone else is right on my ass.  Instead, they should be about half a base behind, and give the ellies time to come on over.  The evasion runs to the opposite side, but doesn't block the exit.  The ellies and djinni sight aggro on him, and tries valiantly to nuke away.

The rest of the party should just enter the base, but you don't need to rush it.  The bard can get on the island, play a song, and let it finish when he's standing near the djinni.  Songs have plenty of range, you'll get them.  The party beats the hell out of the djinni, while the evasion goes on to the next base.

Wash.  Rinse.  Repeat.  Easy.

IP Logged

someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:33am
Print Post  
52 perform is plenty. 52 + d20 for your fascinate DC which i can assure you none of those enemies have that good of will saves Tongue try using fireshield: cold scrolls if you didnt already. and you'd really like to have 400+ hp id think if youre leading the way. ask for someone else to lead bases to gather mobs if you lack evasion or lots of HP. also doesnt hurt to invis yourself if youre not leading the bases. then just avoid fireballs.

IP Logged

Fuck Off
The Big Fuck

My favorite word is Fuck.
Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Reply #4 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 10:07am
Print Post  
I run in first at third and second base but an evasion type will run into first base before me.  Ice and Air doesn't kill me like the fire elementals will.

A healer is assigned to be on my ass when I'm leading and keep me alive to get my songs played.

When I'm the first on the bases, I hit my skill boost just before I hit the island then hit my song and they will usually follow me to the other side so that the THF types can use their weapons without breaking my fascinate.

When the evasion type leads on fire, I'll start playing as soon as I hit the island.

My perform is 62 after buffing.
Shroud CHA skills item
Head of Good Fortune
Greater Heroism
Focusing chant
Human Versitility
Bards Cloak

My CHA is 24.
12 base
2 tome
2 Enhancement
6 Bard Cloak
2 Ship CHA buff

It is probably higher than I really need but I don't want to take chances so I boost it up.  There have been a few times that a critter didn't get fascinated, I'm not sure if they rolled a 20 or wasn't in range or got hit.  Usually it is a fire elemental that doesn't get fascinated.  I think I'm not quite in range because it is the one that is farthest away from me and all the others are fascinated.

I do have a radience guard item.  This thing kind of messes critters up a bit.  Even when fascinated, when they are blind, they still want to attack or run around.

I've been wanting to TR Nanny to 18 bard/2 rogue.  I just can't decide on the weapon and feats.  That evasion will be very handy when I do the TR because I know that I can get my reflex up high enough to be useful.
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2011 at 10:09am by Fuck Off »  

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.  - Albert Einstein

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 10:47am
Print Post  
Well that would explain why the VoN I was in my 2nd time I ever ran it failed.  The group didn't offer to send an evasion toon in first.  They just told me to fascinate all the bases and let me on my own on a pure bard.  No healer there to heal while I couldn't, no evasion to take agro, just "go get 'em tiger".

Glad to see people don't expect non-evasion bards to pull that off...I've honestly avoided the raid since then because my experience mirrored the OP other than the fact that the group I was with was bad to boot and we wiped. Sad

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 10:51am
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 10:47am:
Well that would explain why the VoN I was in my 2nd time I ever ran it failed.  The group didn't offer to send an evasion toon in first.  They just told me to fascinate all the bases and let me on my own on a pure bard.  No healer there to heal while I couldn't, no evasion to take agro, just "go get 'em tiger".

Glad to see people don't expect non-evasion bards to pull that off...I've honestly avoided the raid since then because my experience mirrored the OP other than the fact that the group I was with was bad to boot and we wiped. Sad

Me too!  It was actually my very first epic ever, to boot. 

While we're clarifying things here - should I stick around and drop a second fascinate if one or two mobs makes their save against the first, or just sprint my ass to the next base?

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #7 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 10:51am:
Me too!  It was actually my very first epic ever, to boot. 

While we're clarifying things here - should I stick around and drop a second fascinate if one or two mobs makes their save against the first, or just sprint my ass to the next base?

Stick around until the Djinn is prepped and do what needs to be done fascinate or etc.  Once the Djinn is prepped everyone rolls.

Darkrok wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 10:47am:

Yeah, the Velah fight is generally easy it's the bases that cause a wipe more often than not but too many groups attack the bases with no strategy or forethought. 

I actually prefer starting with Ice (depending on the group) and going 3-2-1

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Reply #8 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 11:12am
Print Post  
i usually hang around to make absolutely sure all mobs are fascinated especially if theres no arcane stationed there to throw dances on wild ones. usually if a wipe happens in vons its because of bases. so if you make sure those are covered its a success.

IP Logged

ZeroBoost
Titan Demolisher

res ipsa loquitur

Reply #9 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:22am:
I don't have a bard but I do run lead on my exploiter in which case I try to pull them all the way to the exit bridge as far away from the djinn as possible.  If they stay too close odds are some two hander will whack them and break facinate.

I'll have to remember this. That seems like it would work tons better than what I was trying to do.

someguy wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:33am:
52 perform is plenty. 52 + d20 for your fascinate DC which i can assure you none of those enemies have that good of will saves Tongue try using fireshield: cold scrolls if you didnt already. and you'd really like to have 400+ hp id think if youre leading the way. ask for someone else to lead bases to gather mobs if you lack evasion or lots of HP. also doesnt hurt to invis yourself if youre not leading the bases. then just avoid fireballs.

That's good to know.. I was worried that my DC might be low. And I do have fireshield scrolls, but always forget that I have them.  Roll Eyes While I do have 450ish HP, 2 DBF in a row can take that down quick.

someguy wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 11:12am:
i usually hang around to make absolutely sure all mobs are fascinated especially if theres no arcane stationed there to throw dances on wild ones. usually if a wipe happens in vons its because of bases. so if you make sure those are covered its a success.

That's what I was doing as well. But I might have been in a bad spot to stand.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Running this on Warcrye is fun for me. I only have about a 45 perform, but I hit everything no problem (cept the mephits for some reason).

It's also fun on my monk because its really easy to use abundant step to stays ahead of the group. I usually pull the trash toward the side of the island closest to velahs pitchers mound. It's about as far away from the djinni as possible to help for lagging thfs.

Also, running ice to fire is the best I have seen so far. It's definitely a lot safer, as the renders and mephits are a lot weaker than the fire eles.

IP Logged

ScaredyCat
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 1st, 2011 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Start early and run around to draw the mephits to the back - the theory is you give the melees room to swing without waking them up.

I have evasion on my bard (2x rogue splash). Borrowing boots and a ring and I can just stand there with 270 hp. Smiley

IP Logged

Hendrik
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 2nd, 2011 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Jun 1st, 2011 at 9:25am:
Short answer, I play start the songs when I hit the island, but I'm usually a little late.  It's better than being early though.

I find that more often than not the reason fire messes up is that the evasion is not given enough time.  It isn't so much a matter of where people go.

On Inkdrop I can stand in there for minutes at a time.  When I'm playing him I usually get picked to lead the charge.  However, everyone else is right on my ass.  Instead, they should be about half a base behind, and give the ellies time to come on over.  The evasion runs to the opposite side, but doesn't block the exit.  The ellies and djinni sight aggro on him, and tries valiantly to nuke away.

The rest of the party should just enter the base, but you don't need to rush it.  The bard can get on the island, play a song, and let it finish when he's standing near the djinni.  Songs have plenty of range, you'll get them.  The party beats the hell out of the djinni, while the evasion goes on to the next base.

Wash.  Rinse.  Repeat.  Easy.

Excellent tips.

When I Bard eV6 I usually start to sing just a few steps from the Island.  Base 1 and 2 are the easiest of the three and Fire is the 'worse' of the three, only because the ele's take some extra time for the puller to get grouped up.  Extra time should be given for that base.

OP, if one/two break or are not mezzed, it is a judgement call on what to do.  If one is free, IMO, a fast Dance is best only cause playing a song takes longer and bad things can happen.

Being a Virt myself, love Enthrall for the chance to break mezz on damage.  If I can ever get that +4 CHA Tome, I'll finally hit 100DC to my Songs.  Yes, overkill, but it is my epeen so let me stroke it...

Embarrassed

IP Logged

Dozen_Black_Roses
Korthos Resident

Reply #13 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 6:47am
Print Post  
Another helpful item is firestorm greaves if you don't have evasion, that on top of the cold version of fire shield should be more than enough for fire base, which I concur is the most challenging for a non-evasion bard. Also be vocal, no matter how many times it is repeated to folks, 98% of the time you will have one or two that will run ahead. As soon as you see it call them specifically by name out over voice and tell them to back the fuck up.  Fire base you need the extra time for you or your lead to make sure all the fire ellies are pulled away so you are fascinating them in that far corner, not around the djinni. If they get fascinated too close that base is the most dangerous to you for them to break, and most likely for you to die as a melee will surely hit them.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint