Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic asking for the most common tanking build (Read 3633 times)
queg
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

asking for the most common tanking build
Jun 6th, 2011 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
as a complete noob i want to tank im playing with some friends and someone has to do the job Tongue now im used to WoW when you can litteraly swim in information about anything and in this game it is kinda hard to find a good not dated build >< so if there is something popular doesnt have to be the very best but should be effective i would like to get a link for it or a spread sheat or whatever you guys do in this game ><

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Re: asking for the most common tanking build
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 10:09pm
Print Post  
queg wrote on Jun 6th, 2011 at 8:58pm:
as a complete noob i want to tank im playing with some friends and someone has to do the job Tongue now im used to WoW when you can litteraly swim in information about anything and in this game it is kinda hard to find a good not dated build >< so if there is something popular doesnt have to be the very best but should be effective i would like to get a link for it or a spread sheat or whatever you guys do in this game ><

Well, considering all you have to do is search tanking on the forums....

Also, what kind of tanking are you looking to do?

IP Logged

rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
this kind?

Quote:
Rev. Jim.
He is the only guy here that posts quality, you should all learn from him.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 6th, 2011 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
rev Jim wrote on Jun 6th, 2011 at 10:57pm:

I want this as a WF Body Kit. Smiley

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #4 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 1:39am
Print Post  
make a dwarf/warforged/human barbarian, max strength then constitution. Max healing amp and threat gen items. Two handed fighting.

a tank needs to do two things, grab argo and keep argo. get argo with DPS and hold argo my not dieing. for the not dieing part pump up your DR, HP, saves and your mobility. being able to move fast is important. forget about AC.

As for your DPS enhancement wise. figure out how much you need to not die, then pump the rest into DPS stuff.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 2:27am
Print Post  
JC wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 1:39am:
make a dwarf/warforged/human barbarian, max strength then constitution. Max healing amp and threat gen items. Two handed fighting.

a tank needs to do two things, grab argo and keep argo. get argo with DPS and hold argo my not dieing. for the not dieing part pump up your DR, HP, saves and your mobility. being able to move fast is important. forget about AC.

As for your DPS enhancement wise. figure out how much you need to not die, then pump the rest into DPS stuff.

Then, once you understand this, make an AC tank and do the same, but without getting hit.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #6 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 6:55am
Print Post  
If an ac tank can hold aggro, it isn't the ac tank that is the issue.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

queg
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 7:31am
Print Post  
ok so i kinda went with the riott tank first but i understood its wayyyyyyy outdated and honestly coming to this forums i was so fricking sick of sniffing around trying to find something that i guessd asking wouldnt hurt Tongue

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #8 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 9:05am
Print Post  
True tanking is broken, and has been for years.  They have tried a few tweaks to fix it, but made balls of it in typical Turbine fashion.

A low level tank build is going to be very gear dependent.  If you are just starting out, I'd just go with a DPS build and just try to wear AC items.  Your AC will be 90% there, but you will still be able to contribute.

Ink

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #9 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 9:50am
Print Post  
queg wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 7:31am:
ok so i kinda went with the riott tank first but i understood its wayyyyyyy outdated and honestly coming to this forums i was so fricking sick of sniffing around trying to find something that i guessd asking wouldnt hurt Tongue

seriously, just do the easy way and make a barbarian. the only time you will need to tank anything is when fighting nasty bosses. and to tank a boss all you need to do is cause the most threat and to stay alive. as a barb you will already be doing some of the best DPS and throw in hate bonus items and you will hold argo. then you just need to stay alive and the huge amount of hp that barbarian gives will keep you alive long enough for the healer, who is focusing on healing because its a boss fight, to heal you.

barb = automatic hate tank. do it. its the easy way. do the hard way when you know what you are doing.
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2011 at 9:51am by JC »  

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #10 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 9:51am
Print Post  
I tank Horoth on my Barb Dreadler. He is a first lifer, with meh hps, just shy of 800 raged and yugo potted. He has "ok" gear but no ESoS or Antique Greataxe.

I also can tank him on my Fighter Dreckler (twf) with less hps, just shy of 700 raged and yugo potted. The healers have to pay more attention to me.

So it isn't really the "build" it is more about knowing what to do, and that other people in the party know how to mitigate their hate/threat buildup so they don't steal agro.

Just go with whatever lvl 20 Ftr, Barb or Paladin build blows your dress up.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Honestly, WF Barb or Fighter max Strength and Con.  Go THF.  You'll be able to tank the most request raids.  VoD and Tower Suly tank.  Run that for a life and get a feel for what you like and don't like then go.   There really isn't a one tank for all situations build and there a few different options on how to gear. 

Hell, with the DoT's overpowered as they are I saw a WF pure wizzy tank E-Chrono.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #12 - Jun 7th, 2011 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jun 7th, 2011 at 10:18am:
Honestly, WF Barb or Fighter max Strength and Con.  Go THF.  You'll be able to tank the most request raids.  VoD and Tower Suly tank.  Run that for a life and get a feel for what you like and don't like then go.   There really isn't a one tank for all situations build and there a few different options on how to gear. 

Hell, with the DoT's overpowered as they are I saw a WF pure wizzy tank E-Chrono.

Heh, I saw a human/maybe drow sorc do it.  Funniest shit ever.  Died at the end though, he was slivered so no biggy.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
From a healer perspective, the best tank for me has 1) high HP, 2) decent-ish (200%) healing amp.  A pure human barb can get 245% heal amp.  I've seen several toons that have gone this route. 

I absolutely love it when I need to use nothing more than capstone and scrolls the whole time.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 6:46pm:
From a healer perspective, the best tank for me has 1) high HP, 2) decent-ish (200%) healing amp.  A pure human barb can get 245% heal amp.  I've seen several toons that have gone this route. 

I absolutely love it when I need to use nothing more than capstone and scrolls the whole time. 

If you get a chance to let Janthana, Croanan, or Splatsplat tank, fucking take it.

You will love every second of it.

IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2011 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Quote:
If you get a chance to let Janthana, Croanan, or Splatsplat tank, fucking take it.

You will love every second of it.

While Splat is pretty decent she only has 188% heal amp when tanking. I need to fit in the Epic Claw set eventually.

Janthana and Croanan have massive heal amp and are great Horath tanks Smiley

Proud Leader & official Gimp of Crimson Eagles on Khyber
Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor WF FvS 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 18 - Splatsplat 18/2 DoSIII

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Felgor wrote on Jun 16th, 2011 at 11:22pm:
While Splat is pretty decent she only has 188% heal amp when tanking. I need to fit in the Epic Claw set eventually.

Janthana and Croanan have massive heal amp and are great Horath tanks Smiley

I think Stop could solo heal Jan on Horoth on his bard honestly :p

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #17 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 9:05am
Print Post  
If I was holding argo, I'd make sure to wash my hands thoroughly afterward.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Reply #18 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 11:39am
Print Post  
im going to assume youre completely new and in game broke and give you the most budget and best tank you could get although i think big time tanking will be the least of your concerns. also assuming youre paying for a sub and have 32 pt builds and all adventure packs and races/classes

lawful good dwarf 32 pt 12 fighter/6 paladin/2 monk
16 str
16 dex
18 con
10 int
8 wis
6 cha

dwarf for bonuses to con and no penalty to healing as well as cheap decent racial weapons. neither this race nor weapon would be your first choice if you had plat/items.

lvl progression doesnt matter much as youre mostly just a melee donk anyways. there is probably optimal way of doing it but im typing from an itouch so this is most im going to do

feats: 16 total probably not in this particular order
two weapon fighting (twf), improved twf, greater twf, improved critical: slash, power attack, weapon focus: slashing, weapon specialization: slashing, greater wf: slash, greater ws: slash, toughness x7. you'll have seven fighter bonus feats which can be used on any of the above feats BESIDES toughness. you will need a +1 dex tome to get itwf and gtwf. if you play on khyber i will give you one of these if you cant muster 10-15k.

for skills max intimidate and dabble in something else. probably balance and/or jump.

for enhancements take kensai and all requirements for it, paladin divine righteousness, as much haste boost you can, and every enhancement that increases con, hp, or strength.
at lvl 20 with only the +1 dex tome and NO raid or named gear youre looking at a little over 600 hp unbuffed, 30 str, and a decent enough reflex. with access to cheap decent weapons, easy access to high threat with paladin divine sacrifice, and a few other tricks you have a decent tank.

there are other options definitely and LOTS of room for improvement and tweaks. someone else will surely comment on.  if you do indeed have all the packs and VIP get a dragontouched armor set from reavers refuge and run it til you get healing amp 10% and 20% runes.

IP Logged

someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Reply #19 - Jun 21st, 2011 at 11:47am
Print Post  
human barb with max str and con and all the amp you can get i guess would be decent too. although i think it would have a harder time holding aggro which is the most important thing when tanking. threat management

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint