Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic DDO from a USB Drive? (Read 7207 times)
Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

DDO from a USB Drive?
Jun 9th, 2011 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Crazy question...can DDO be installed on a USB drive and plugged in to another computer to run from there?  I'd love to hop into the game during downtime at work but installing something on the work computer would be a non-starter while having it on a flash drive wouldn't bother the boss.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Re: DDO from a USB Drive?
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Doubt it since it makes reg entries.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 11:20am
Print Post  
That, and the fact that the game is so fuckin' big.  Anyone know the total size of the game?

And secondly, is your work computer that good?  My work computer sucks, although it does have a good processor.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2011 at 11:21am by Belwaar »  
IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 11:22am
Print Post  
Theoretically, yes.  DDO makes little use of the registry.  I have copied the game from one computer to another w/o installing and it ran fine.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2011 at 11:23am by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Mastertool
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 11:23am
Print Post  
It is possible, but if you don't have write access to the computer it will probably be a no go.  To run DDO from a flash drive you need the dependencies already installed on the computer, DirectX and .NET framework.  (think those are the only two)

Then when DDO starts up it will need to create a DDO folder in your Documents/My Documents folder. 

Beyond that, they may have various ports blocked on your company's firewall.

If you work at a small company it may be possible if they just prefer you to not install stuff, rather than they have the computers locked down.  Also, explaining to IT personnel why you need certain ports opened on the router should be fun.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Hrm...I'm not against installing it while in the office.  Just want to avoid having 4 GB of stuff junking up the office computer.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Mastertool wrote on Jun 9th, 2011 at 11:23am:
It is possible, but if you don't have write access to the computer it will probably be a no go.  To run DDO from a flash drive you need the dependencies already installed on the computer, DirectX and .NET framework.  (think those are the only two)

Then when DDO starts up it will need to create a DDO folder in your Documents/My Documents folder. 

Beyond that, they may have various ports blocked on your company's firewall.

If you work at a small company it may be possible if they just prefer you to not install stuff, rather than they have the computers locked down.  Also, explaining to IT personnel why you need certain ports opened on the router should be fun.

Ports aren't an issue.  It's a very small company.  I actually ran the game installed from my old computer while  it was in the office but this one has an SSD hard drive and I don't want to junk that up with a game I may play once a month from work.

As for whether my work computer's that good.  Yes.  It's that good. It's fun being a programmer. Wink

I'm guessing I'll need an 8GB flash drive but anyone confirm that'll do the trick?

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #7 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 11:39am
Print Post  

IP Logged

Sirea
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 11:40am
Print Post  
My DDO file is about 6.5G, so an 8G would hold it all with room to spare.

However, I can't even open/run Visual Basic projects off a flash drive without a bit of lag. I'd hate to imagine the lag of trying to run DDO off of one.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
Thanks all!  Now I just need to scare up an 8GB flash drive Tongue

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #10 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Darkrok wrote on Jun 9th, 2011 at 12:33pm:
Thanks all!  Now I just need to scare up an 8GB flash drive Tongue

From what I have read the Patriot brand Flash Drives are consistently near the top of the line for speed.

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mastertool
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Depending on what you are looking for as far as price point you can get portable hard drives pretty cheap now.  My portable copy is running off of one of those small WD drives.  I have no issues with lag.  I haven't tried running from an actual SD card or some type of thumb drive.
If you have an enclosure already here is a $64 SSD.

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 1:37am
Print Post  
I used to run it from an USB drive on my work laptop.

It can run from an SB Drive, as long as it has been installed on the computer where it's intended to run with the USB drive as the install directory.

What cannot be done is install it on an USB Drive on a computer, move the USB drive to another computer and try to start DDO.
DDO is going to be missing lots of registry entries and a few specific directories. ( like the one created in the user Documents directory )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 11:20am
Print Post  
Thanks again everyone!  Just wanted to say that I got it up and running on a 16GB Cruzer Sandisk drive and have no noticeable slowness other than when files need to be updated/login screen stuff.  Once I'm in the game it runs like a champ.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 1:37am:
What cannot be done is install it on an USB Drive on a computer, move the USB drive to another computer and try to start DDO.
DDO is going to be missing lots of registry entries and a few specific directories. ( like the one created in the user Documents directory )

This is totally false.

Just last night I copied the DDO directory from one PC to a PC with a clean install of windows because I didn't want to wait the stupidly slow patching and download time.

It ran.  I had to sort out a .Net Framework error and a VC 2005 runtime error both easily addressed.

The game ran great all night.

Avoid giving advice whne you know not what you speak of.

Quote:

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #15 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 1:17pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 1:14pm:
Avoid giving advice whne you know not what you speak of.

That has never slowed me down.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint