Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) FordyTwo and the 101 builds (Read 9112 times)
stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

FordyTwo and the 101 builds
Jun 9th, 2011 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
I know we all tweak our builds a little different, but it looks like this guy is really trying to put together something halfway decent for a new player.

Those pre-made paths are a trap!

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Re: FordyTwo and the 101 builds
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
After the thrashing he got for his first 101 guide, I think he's made a much better effort to actually try to learn what the fuck he is talking about. Plus taking input from the community is a great step.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Yes, the sorc build is actually a decent new player guide.  A toon made following those recommendations would not suck too horribly. 

Although playstyle is still a major issue.  Most new players will take a traditional route to casting and stay back and let the melees get initial agro.

It's fun to see a new player group with a vet/tr caster that runs ahead of the group FW'ing, fireballing, etc and dropping mobs before the melees can even get within 30 yards and then think "thats some bad ass shit there.  I've been doing this all wrong.  I'm gonna try tha....<SPLAT>.  um...can I get a rez please?"

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jun 9th, 2011 at 2:19pm:
I know we all tweak our builds a little different, but it looks like this guy is really trying to put together something halfway decent for a new player.

Those pre-made paths are a trap!

I'm very impressed with the guy.  He took withering criticism for the first guide, but rather than shrinking from it he embraced it, learned from it, and came back for more.  He's definitely earned my respect, and I think the guides are actually a helpful resource for new players.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
I wonder what derangement the Fighter 101 guide will bring out.  The Sorc 101 had some fun with that "6 CON, high DEX, no UMD" guy.

No Khopeshes, so dodged the "Khopeshes are evil" crew; Dwarf, so no "Half-orcs are evil".

Maybe we'll get some good "Fighters are for AC, not DPS"?

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #5 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Cor wrote on Jun 9th, 2011 at 3:50pm:
I wonder what derangement the Fighter 101 guide will bring out.  The Sorc 101 had some fun with that "6 CON, high DEX, no UMD" guy.

No Khopeshes, so dodged the "Khopeshes are evil" crew; Dwarf, so no "Half-orcs are evil".

Maybe we'll get some good "Fighters are for AC, not DPS"?

Shields. He will go off about 1 daxe+shield>TWF.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2011 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jun 9th, 2011 at 4:05pm:
Shields. He will go off about 1 daxe+shield>TWF.

Actually did drop a note along those lines along with the general reasoning behind it, modifying it heavily with *this is only for untwinked lowbies*.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2011 at 4:42pm by »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 1:43am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jun 9th, 2011 at 2:40pm:
Yes, the sorc build is actually a decent new player guide.  A toon made following those recommendations would not suck too horribly. 

I suspect that's the whole point of these guides... give enough advices on how to build a character that won't sucks badly.
And let the players discover the rest.

Although playstyle is still a major issue.  Most new players will take a traditional route to casting and stay back and let the melees get initial agro.

It's fun to see a new player group with a vet/tr caster that runs ahead of the group FW'ing, fireballing, etc and dropping mobs before the melees can even get within 30 yards and then think "thats some bad ass shit there.  I've been doing this all wrong.  I'm gonna try tha....<SPLAT>.  um...can I get a rez please?"

And what about the RS Cleric that runs ahead with the Wiz/Sorc just because (s)he wants a piece of the kill count ?  Wink
( and anyway, that's where averybody will end up bunched together so that's the best place to be when casting the eventual ardored mass cure light  Tongue )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Most new players will take a traditional route to casting and stay back and let the melees get initial agro.

I have never seen this...more along the opposite.

"Look @ m3 gaiz!  I can cast FW for ub3r d@mAg3........

..../ding"

I'm almost happy that Turbine made DDO so much easier the past couple years.  I'd rather solo and not have to deal with babysitting the 12 year-olds of the world.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
Belwaar wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 12:11pm:
I'm almost happy that Turbine made DDO so much easier the past couple years.

Game experience sure pays off. My first few runs through Wiz King I had to be hand held. Now I can solo it at level on a melee. Same for Coal Chamber.

I know the game has changed a lot over the last few years, but I think sometimes people take the learning curve for granted. Going from "OMG that kobold messed me up" to "Hah, I didn't cause a death penalty this run" and on to "Yeah its 4 barbarians running Rainbow in the Dark and we don't need a healer" is a long process.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
lol touche.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 12:28pm:
Game experience sure pays off. My first few runs through Wiz King I had to be hand held. Now I can solo it at level on a melee. Same for Coal Chamber.

I know the game has changed a lot over the last few years, but I think sometimes people take the learning curve for granted. Going from "OMG that kobold messed me up" to "Hah, I didn't cause a death penalty this run" and on to "Yeah its 4 barbarians running Rainbow in the Dark and we don't need a healer" is a long process.

True.  Very True.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
I like the guides for brand new players because they are better than the pre-made paths and are less complex than most buidl threads on the forums. 

The fighter guide shows some interesting weaknesses though because the "official Turbine guide" probably needs to avoid some things that would appear self serving.

Like:

Race selection.  They can't very well showcase Half Orc or WF as P2P only races.  They are limited to the free races or ones earned with in-game favor.  As a result, no H-Orc on the fighter suggestion.  We use Dwarf.  Not that Dwarf or Human is a poor choice.  My fighter is Human and does just fine.  But I can see where it would be dicey to put out a 101 guide that required TP spending to follow.

Build concepts:  Turbine official has to stay away from gear/loot requirements like tomes.  The result:  a TWF build that recommends a 16 dex(ugh) instead of 15 and a level up point put into dex (double ugh) instead ot strength.  All because they don't want to make the +2 Tome (Available now in the DDO store.  Click here to autobill your Credit Card) a requirement for the build to work in a 101 guide. 

Even though it's wasting 2 build points up front and a valuable level up later. 

Still, given that the players using these guides are probably building a toon that will get to 1750 favor and unlock 32 point builds, be GR'd or reach cap and TR and the +2 tome will be available as well as extra build points, I'm not sure that either limitations invalidates the guide for new players. 

That fighter build proposed in the guide is better than 2/3rds of the pug fighter builds you probably encounter daily in quests below level 12.  And a good portion of the fighter builds you meet at cap, too.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 2:01pm:
I like the guides for brand new players because they are better than the pre-made paths and are less complex than most buidl threads on the forums. 

The fighter guide shows some interesting weaknesses though because the "official Turbine guide" probably needs to avoid some things that would appear self serving.

Like:

Race selection.  They can't very well showcase Half Orc or WF as P2P only races.  They are limited to the free races or ones earned with in-game favor.  As a result, no H-Orc on the fighter suggestion.  We use Dwarf.  Not that Dwarf or Human is a poor choice.  My fighter is Human and does just fine.  But I can see where it would be dicey to put out a 101 guide that required TP spending to follow.

Build concepts:  Turbine official has to stay away from gear/loot requirements like tomes.  The result:  a TWF build that recommends a 16 dex(ugh) instead of 15 and a level up point put into dex (double ugh) instead ot strength.  All because they don't want to make the +2 Tome (Available now in the DDO store.  Click here to autobill your Credit Card) a requirement for the build to work in a 101 guide. 

Even though it's wasting 2 build points up front and a valuable level up later. 

Still, given that the players using these guides are probably building a toon that will get to 1750 favor and unlock 32 point builds, be GR'd or reach cap and TR and the +2 tome will be available as well as extra build points, I'm not sure that either limitations invalidates the guide for new players. 

That fighter build proposed in the guide is better than 2/3rds of the pug fighter builds you probably encounter daily in quests below level 12.  And a good portion of the fighter builds you meet at cap, too.   

He is going to link the compendium entry to the thread that all the discussion took place in. Hopefully a motivated person will read through it and pick up some of those hints. To be truthful though, a brand spanking new player is better taking 16 dex and spending a level point or hoping for a +1 tome. I played for awhile before I got my first +2 tome.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
I remember how excited I was when I got my first +1 tome as an end reward from Wiz King.  Minoc Thrice Born is still one of my favorite quest givers to this day just because of that. 

(Plus he was the first 2TR in the game.  That's gotta mean something)

IP Logged

Pallai
Stormreaver Piker

Keeper of the Rangersauce

Reply #15 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
I'm actually dreading the Cleric 101 guide, but I'll give him a chance....

Pallai, Ascent
Saraphima, Chennai, Northenstar, Chellai Nothing Personal
Argonessen

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #16 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Pallai wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:04pm:
I'm actually dreading the Cleric 101 guide, but I'll give him a chance....

Go at it with not "How Pallai would build it" but with a "Not even a newb could screw this up" approach and you will be fine. Smiley

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Pallai
Stormreaver Piker

Keeper of the Rangersauce

Reply #17 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:21pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:07pm:
Go at it with not "How Pallai would build it" but with a "Not even a newb could screw this up" approach and you will be fine. Smiley

Oh, I'm actually not as "elitist" as some people seem to think I am when it comes to Clerics.  There is no "one way" and if there was a "one way", it certainly isn't "Pallai's Way".

I do love my Clerics, and I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable about the class, but there are thousands of paths to the same end.... sometimes they meet in the middle, sometimes they don't.

After reading your response, I did think about what I think should be on a Cleric 101 guide versus what might actually be on there.  I think what it comes down to is that there's always your "first toon".  This game and it's rulesets are so complex that there's no way you can plan for or fully grasp all the nuances that go into character building until you've actually gotten your hands dirty and rolled that first toon.

I guess that I might need to start categorizing what viewpoint people are coming from when I respond on the forums... are they looking for the basic info... the bare bones deal?  Or are they trying to dig a layer deeper and are questioning the not-so-obvious aspect of building?

I can say this- I play with Ron's Planner a lot.  It's like a crossword puzzle to me and I truly enjoy tweaking this stat here or that gear there.  Even though I access the program several times a week, I'm still on the newb side of the spectrum when it comes to character planning.  I do like the process of learning it, though.

Pallai, Ascent
Saraphima, Chennai, Northenstar, Chellai Nothing Personal
Argonessen

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #18 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
My thoughts on an easy cleric build would be a human or dwarf radiant servant. I would probably lean towards dwarf. Nothing fancy, just straight healbot. In fact that is what my cleric is.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Started this as a reply to Pallai's comment, not sure if I just ended up saying much the same thing using different words.

Apart from those rare people who have played a lot of MMOs, can digest the forums and figure out how the (limited) documentation and complex rulesets affect the game, everyone else will learn the old-fashioned way - by doing, and by making mistakes.

I think that setting realistic expectations in these guides is as important as providing a good build. Give people a build that they won't regret at endgame (at least I was never tempted by Eschew Ingredients), and that is not terribly gear or skill dependant. Most importantly, it should be flexible enough to support multiple playstyles by swapping gear and enhancements, so that people can see for themselves that DDO is not about "know your roles", or entirely limited to playing just one of healer-mage-tank-DPS. Tell them what you are doing, and let them go out and start making the normal mistakes that everyone else does.

I abandoned my first few characters. It worked well for me to try out a lot of different classes and playstyles up to level 4-6, and get a feel for what class I enjoyed and what type of playstyle suited me. I then took a decent (sub-par, but not terrible) build to level up to 20 which fit that playstyle, and have adapted it since with enhancements. After capping a cleric and monk, and playing a bard, a wizard and a clonk to levels 16-18, I now have a better idea of what I want to do with my cleric (offensive casting, evasion, decent reflex saves, some UMD, and as much melee as I can afford with the leftover points).

For clerics, I'd be torn between recommending a warpriest or an offensive caster to a newbie. The warpriest makes low levels almost idiot-proof, is very solo friendly, and can still healbot / pike to 20 to unlock 32 point builds, or TR. I think offensive casting is more important than melee later on though.

The problem in this game is that levels 1-6 are so terribly different from levels 15-20, and new players don't see how their uber toon that rips up the market is going to badly suck by Gianthold, to say nothing of Amrath. The difference in BAB, strength, feats, and enhancements don't matter in lower levels - even a wizard can hit stuff reliably in Korthos with a quarterstaff. DCs and spell pen are hugely important at high levels, unless you're a fan of seeing blue hexagons with your implosion or blade barrier, but you might not appreciate that fact on a level 3 cleric.

Sword and board rocks from Korthos to the market, but not much further. I think I once tried to convince some noob on /advice that Die Hard was a useless feat once traps start doing 200 points of damage and trash  hit for 50, but their harbor experience said otherwise. I gave up.

For me, I sadly didn't really see the benefits of things forum regulars talk about until it was too late for some characters. It wasn't until I took my bard into Shroud that it really sunk in that UMD=fire shield, and that I wanted it for as many characters as could afford it, rather than viewing UMD as an expensive luxury. It wasn't until I felt the speed of a capped monk or permahasted wizard and bard that I started putting striders on every character.

I do believe that the difficulty and expense of respeccing is a big turn-off for people. I can get to level 6 a lot faster now than on my first character, but for a new player, the idea of having to restart might represent a few weeks worth of their gaming time. Apart from the single free feat exchange (which they are just as likely to screw up), builds in DDO are too easy to wreck and too costly to fix.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

TDarkchylde
Dragon Raider

It's just a simulation...

Reply #20 - Jun 28th, 2011 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Just a friendly bump. Looks like Fordy's taking suggestions and compiling info for a Cleric 101 guide.

Problem is, everyone's favorite holy gimp advocate (Snootch, a.k.a. Godh) found the thread and is spewing his usual rhetoric: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=3889207#post3889207

Let the field day commence.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2011 at 7:28pm by TDarkchylde »  
AIM  
IP Logged

Siver
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #21 - Jun 28th, 2011 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Well, maybe there's enough garbage posts that Gimpy will be missed. I'm more ashamed that my post is two below him, so close to such terrible embarrasing stupidity that I think my own post became many times more idiotic just by proximity. It was originally a beautiful post explaining how any single person could learn how to heal superbly, even becoming capable of healing stupid. Now, it's just some junk about being able to melee a little, even with the caster focus, and some stuff about spells being good. Regrettably the stupid is so much that I cannot remember how I typed such previous perfection.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #22 - Jun 28th, 2011 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
TDarkchylde wrote on Jun 28th, 2011 at 7:27pm:
Just a friendly bump. Looks like Fordy's taking suggestions and compiling info for a Cleric 101 guide.

Problem is, everyone's favorite holy gimp advocate (Snootch, a.k.a. Godh) found the thread and is spewing his usual rhetoric: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=3889207#post3889207

Let the field day commence.

If you're worried about it, just send FordyTwo a PM giving a short history of Snootch's trolling so he doesn't take his posts seriously.

IP Logged

ddoplayer064
Dragon Raider

GFY

Reply #23 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 6:46am
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Jun 28th, 2011 at 8:08pm:
If you're worried about it, just send FordyTwo a PM giving a short history of Snootch's trolling so he doesn't take his posts seriously.

I'm pretty sure they are aware. More fun is the bitch fight between Sirgog and A_D  Grin . In this particular instance, I'd have to go with Sirgog. He's absolutely correct regarding low'ish "battle clerics". They suck, and they suck hard. His one in ten chance of getting a good one is very generous in my experience, as I've yet seen a single one that wasn't a waste of a party slot. That doesn't mean that there are not good ones out there, but from what I've seen and experienced, it goes something like this:
1. Cast Bulls on self
2. Cast Bears on self
3. Swing weapon for crap damage
4. If lucky, will heal themselves, but NEVER count on it
5. Never cast a heal on anyone else...ever.

IP Logged

Jalora
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 9:44am
Print Post  
It appears his post in the Cleric 101 thread has been deleted.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint