Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Plat farmers (Read 2845 times)
Fuck Off
The Big Fuck

My favorite word is Fuck.
Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Plat farmers
Jun 10th, 2011 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Not that I'd buy as it is really easy to make but I'm still curious about something.

How would Turbine actually know that you bought plat?

I can see if you suddenly have a couple of plat capped characters but if you don't buy that much, how do they actually know.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.  - Albert Einstein

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Re: Plat farmers
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
Fuck Off wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 2:56pm:
Not that I'd buy as it is really easy to make but I'm still curious about something.

How would Turbine actually know that you bought plat?

I can see if you suddenly have a couple of plat capped characters but if you don't buy that much, how do they actually know.

I think there is a post somewhere on the forum here that someone explains that turbine actually nailed him for some transactions with Plat Farmers. So evidently they can and will bust you. Since we don't have 500000 fail "OMG the wrongly banned me" threads like we did with Maybar (Which needed to be done) I can only assume that they are pretty dead on when they bust someone.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:19pm
Print Post  
I've bought items before when I first started playing. Both times are noted in my 'reports' section of the help menu. Idk how they knew, but they did. No bans yet, but they are definitely aware of it.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
I am not sure why anyone would want to buy anything, unless they were brand new and didn't understand how easy it was to get items once you figured the game out. The only things worth buying are the things that are bind to character/account like seals and shards.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:23pm:
I am not sure why anyone would want to buy anything, unless they were brand new and didn't understand how easy it was to get items once you figured the game out. The only things worth buying are the things that are bind to character/account like seals and shards.

Exactly. I had been playing for maybe a few months when I did it. If I remember, ill post a screenie of the reports.

IP Logged

Fuck Off
The Big Fuck

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
It was that thread that had the item seller link that had me curious.

I don't see any need to purchase that stuff either.  Just wondering how they would tell.

I checked out the site and they meet your character in game and transfer by trade.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.  - Albert Einstein

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
Fuck Off wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:38pm:
It was that thread that had the item seller link that had me curious.

I don't see any need to purchase that stuff either.  Just wondering how they would tell.

I checked out the site and they meet your character in game and transfer by trade. 

That thread here or the other forums?

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Fuck Off
The Big Fuck

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:40pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:39pm:
That thread here or the other forums?

Other forum.

It got locked quickly.

OP removed the link shortly after being told that it can get infractions.

Thread got locked a bit after that.

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:41pm by Fuck Off »  

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Fuck Off wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:40pm:
Other forum.

It got locked quickly.

I am not sure how we would roll, but I would probably lock it if happened here, at least until Strakeln got a chance to look at it. AFAIK we don't have a defined Plat Farmer policy. Our resident one, Aranticus, isn't playing right now. Smiley

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #9 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:23pm:

I'd buy epic scrolls in a heartbeat...

...so sick of the grind.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #10 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I've bought items before when I first started playing. Both times are noted in my 'reports' section of the help menu. Idk how they knew, but they did. No bans yet, but they are definitely aware of it.

BURN HIM!! BURN THE WITCH!!

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #11 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
Belwaar wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:50pm:
I'd buy epic scrolls in a heartbeat...

...so sick of the grind.

But you can get those, usually for Large Scales or FRDS, in game. Maybe not all of them, but many.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #12 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:51pm:
But you can get those, usually for Large Scales or FRDS, in game. Maybe not all of them, but many.

I haven't seen a FRDS in the last 20 E-Vons I have done.  I have been killing that bitch a lot too.

As for plat farmers, never been enticed by them too much like aimbots on an FPS takes the fun out of it.  Besides I'm a cheap prick....
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:56pm by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #13 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:55pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:54pm:
I haven't seen a FRDS in the last 20 E-Vons I have done.  I have been killing that bitch a lot too.

Gotcha.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #14 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:51pm:

Oh yeah, I know that, and do 95% of the time.  I'm just sayin'...if the DDO store had a 1 hour sale of all you can buy epic scrolls and they stay BtA or BtC, I'd throw down a little money...

...but then again with no grind, I'd probably lose interest in the game.  That's what has pretty much kept me interested.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #15 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:43pm:
I am not sure how we would roll, but I would probably lock it if happened here, at least until Strakeln got a chance to look at it.

I'd unlock it  Smiley

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #16 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 7:31pm:
I'd unlock it  Smiley

Now I know. Smiley

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jun 10th, 2011 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jun 10th, 2011 at 3:50pm:
BURN HIM!! BURN THE WITCH!!

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #18 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 3:56am
Print Post  
My guess is there must some sort of flag if someone trades a high amount of plat. What's the most you can trade? 2 Mill at one time? I'll bet that's the threshold. Once a flag's raised, I'll bet a DM can look at the tranaction closely and if they see nothing or nothing of substantial value was traded back in return, they conclude you're buying plat.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #19 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 4:55am
Print Post  
Actually, they have a list of whom all they think are plat sellers from the last couple years  -I should say accounts that they think are.  Anyways, if you trade with them it flags you.  Most of them are gone now, so don't fret to much.  One thing I like about DDO - they really cracked down on that.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #20 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 6:57am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jun 11th, 2011 at 3:56am:
My guess is there must some sort of flag if someone trades a high amount of plat. What's the most you can trade? 2 Mill at one time? I'll bet that's the threshold. Once a flag's raised, I'll bet a DM can look at the tranaction closely and if they see nothing or nothing of substantial value was traded back in return, they conclude you're buying plat.

In my case, I was trading many items I was farming on various characters with a guy who was known as a plat farmer.  Except, in my naivety on the subject, I was clueless.  I was trading things I'd pull in quests on my toons for stuff I was having trouble pulling.  Or just selling items for plat at the time and buying things from the AH that I wanted.

I got a warning the first time, and when I responded a conversation ensued with a senior GM.  I walked away from the conversation more confused than anything but knowing to avoid 'plat farmers'  Was trading with I think 5 different people at that time.  Cut ties with them all because I could not figure out who the person might have been.

Second time I was infracted, I was given a two week vacation from the game.  About 6 months had passed, and I had a slew of people I was trading with for shroud mats to get my toons equipped faster.  I learned who the person was by way of Turbines responses to my inquiries.  Their responses included timestamps and party chat snippets that accompanied my trades with one person. 

I'm still bitter about that as I haven't bought things from plat farmers with cash I really don't have.  I am guilty apparently of enabling the plat farming problem by trading with that guy at all.  At the time, I was livid.  Now I am just bitter.  And I only trade now with guildies or people I've come to know over time in the game.

To better address the original question however; timestamps and snippets appeared to me to suggest that it's flagged by plat amount trades.  However, once you enter that zone... you stay there.  I believe that any trades I do are looked at to some degree by at least an automated system on my main account.

My advice would be to be mindful of who you trade 'high end pixels' with.  You never know whom is watching and what they might be thinking.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2011 at 6:58am by Madcow430 »  

IP Logged

Fuck Off
The Big Fuck

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Reply #21 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 8:16am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jun 11th, 2011 at 3:56am:

Madcow430 wrote on Jun 11th, 2011 at 6:57am:
In my case, I was trading many items I was farming on various characters with a guy who was known as a plat farmer.  Except, in my naivety on the subject, I was clueless.  I was trading things I'd pull in quests on my toons for stuff I was having trouble pulling.  Or just selling items for plat at the time and buying things from the AH that I wanted.

I got a warning the first time, and when I responded a conversation ensued with a senior GM.  I walked away from the conversation more confused than anything but knowing to avoid 'plat farmers'  Was trading with I think 5 different people at that time.  Cut ties with them all because I could not figure out who the person might have been.

Second time I was infracted, I was given a two week vacation from the game.  About 6 months had passed, and I had a slew of people I was trading with for shroud mats to get my toons equipped faster.  I learned who the person was by way of Turbines responses to my inquiries.  Their responses included timestamps and party chat snippets that accompanied my trades with one person. 

I'm still bitter about that as I haven't bought things from plat farmers with cash I really don't have.  I am guilty apparently of enabling the plat farming problem by trading with that guy at all.  At the time, I was livid.  Now I am just bitter.  And I only trade now with guildies or people I've come to know over time in the game.

To better address the original question however; timestamps and snippets appeared to me to suggest that it's flagged by plat amount trades.  However, once you enter that zone... you stay there.  I believe that any trades I do are looked at to some degree by at least an automated system on my main account.

My advice would be to be mindful of who you trade 'high end pixels' with.  You never know whom is watching and what they might be thinking.

If it is high amounts of plat, one could use an account with bank mules.  Sounds like it wouldn't be too long of a vacation but it is only bank mules, not mains.

If it is high amounts of plat, trading from a main to the bank mules could get a flag then, even though nothing was done wrong.  This kind of worries me.  They could track the source of the plat but not sure how it would be if it is automated and we all know how well that automated stuff goes.  If I'm whoring loot like crazy just to top off my mules, for a time it would look like I'm a plat farmer, while I would be farming plat, I'm not selling it, just stocking up my bank mules.

Then the question of who the plat farmers are.  If you are trading but you don't know who they are, what can you really do?
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2011 at 8:18am by Fuck Off »  

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #22 - Jun 11th, 2011 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Fuck Off wrote on Jun 11th, 2011 at 8:16am:
If it is high amounts of plat, one could use an account with bank mules.  Sounds like it wouldn't be too long of a vacation but it is only bank mules, not mains.

If it is high amounts of plat, trading from a main to the bank mules could get a flag then, even though nothing was done wrong.  This kind of worries me.  They could track the source of the plat but not sure how it would be if it is automated and we all know how well that automated stuff goes.  If I'm whoring loot like crazy just to top off my mules, for a time it would look like I'm a plat farmer, while I would be farming plat, I'm not selling it, just stocking up my bank mules.

Then the question of who the plat farmers are.  If you are trading but you don't know who they are, what can you really do?

My feeling has been this:

If I have absolutely no way of knowing if the person I am trading with is a 'known plat farmer'  How in the flying sam hill am I supposed to avoid trouble?

It's why I am much more careful with trading these days.  And any non guild trades I do off of a disposable account for similar reasons to what you mentioned.  I also feel better about doing the little trading I do these days that way as it avoids generating a potential flag for anyone else.  I'll be damned if my search for epic items causes problems for someone else.

Suffice to say, yeah just be careful in how you are trading.  Large plat amounts/rare items in quantities exceeding one or two can garner unwanted attention.

Sad part is I have to admit I'd rather have them do this than what I heard things were like before they cracked down on plat farming.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #23 - Jun 13th, 2011 at 5:15am
Print Post  
I used to sell stuff to plat farmers for real money.  I had an account setup on their website and everything.  Good money.  Ahh yes, the life of being a supplier!  Anyways, that account was banned around 2 years ago.  Made a shit load of money from shroud ingredients.  The dragon scales from TOR were great as well.  A full set of skiver materials were amazing.  Ahh, the good old days.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint