Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Crafted Handwraps behaving like regular weapons? (Read 6796 times)
rest
One Man Wolfpack

Crafted Handwraps behaving like regular weapons?
Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:32am
Print Post  
Did anyone else notice that, aside from the massive amounts of bugs, crafted handwraps SEEM to be acting more like standard weapons? Previously handwraps applied the buffs to the character, which were visible in the examination window. Crafted handwraps do not do this. Also there are reports of crafted anarchic/anarchic burst handwraps giving the negative level not normally associated random gen handwraps.

So do you think that maybe the devs are using the BETA tag on crafting to try to correct the handwrap weirdness? By only doing it to crafted handwraps, they can hide behind that beta tag as to why they're not working like previous handwraps.

IP Logged

Asketes
Puppy Farmer

Perma

Re: Crafted Handwraps behaving like regular weapons?
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Did they ever mention why wraps are so different and difficult to get working properly?
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:36am by Asketes »  

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Asketes wrote on Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:36am:
Did they ever mention why wraps are so different and difficult to get working properly?

Logic would say create handwraps just like any other weapon but then this is Turbine

For some unknown reason... they did not code them as a weapon.  They are coded in a completely different manner.  Everything funnels down a different code path so every change needs to be duplicated and tested again.  The reason why...god only knows.  They probably had some plan to do special or different things with handwraps that a straight weapon didn't support but those ideas got scrapped along the way.

It would be smart for them to fix this now and make handwraps just like any other weapon.

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:42am by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:46am
Print Post  
I don't know why handwraps are so different, and I won't pretend to understand it. Maybe it had to do with the full STR bonus applying to off hand attacks, or making a single weapon act like 2 weapons, or the animation difference between someone with monk levels punching like a bawss vs. someone without monk levels throwing drunken brawl punches underwater.

Handwraps are just very very strange. If they DO manage to fix them to work like regular weapons, I'm not sure what kind of impact that would even have, to be honest. I think it's a little late for them to allow GS handwraps or to negate the burst damage from ToD rings.

IP Logged

Asketes
Puppy Farmer

Perma

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:41am:
For some unknown reason... they did not code them as a weapon. 

I was guessing it was something like this.. but I didn't know why.

Then again, I also wonder why you can't use two handwraps... each fist attack applying it's respective handwrap's damage.

It's possible that it's not the wraps themselves but the process a character goes through whilst attacking that causes the mischief?
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:48am by Asketes »  

IP Logged

someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:54am
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:46am:
I don't know why handwraps are so different, and I won't pretend to understand it. Maybe it had to do with the full STR bonus applying to off hand attacks, or making a single weapon act like 2 weapons, or the animation difference between someone with monk levels punching like a bawss vs. someone without monk levels throwing drunken brawl punches underwater.

Handwraps are just very very strange. If they DO manage to fix them to work like regular weapons, I'm not sure what kind of impact that would even have, to be honest. I think it's a little late for them to allow GS handwraps or to negate the burst damage from ToD rings.

GS handwraps would be OP. with tod bursts definitely, and without maybe even then... DR breaking lit 2s on shintaos would be incredibly silly.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:57am
Print Post  
someguy wrote on Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:54am:
GS handwraps would be OP. with tod bursts definitely, and without maybe even then... DR breaking lit 2s on shintaos would be incredibly silly.

Absolutely. Which is why I said it's too late to give us GS handwraps now.

IP Logged

Asketes
Puppy Farmer

Perma

Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:58am
Print Post  
someguy wrote on Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:54am:

it doesn't matter if they are OP... they really should think ahead when they apply stuff like GS to the game..

I DEFINITELY don't see them as OP since most monks take two hits and fucking eat shit and die. That and since wind stance no longer partially stacks with haste, let the little fuckers have their GS wraps.

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
Asketes wrote on Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:58am:
it doesn't matter if they are OP... they really should think ahead when they apply stuff like GS to the game..

GS came first.

Then Monks came out with their bizarrely coded handwraps that couldn't easily support GS (Monks were probably developed simultaneously with GS, and the two groups didn't communicate).

Then Monks get massive buffs to compensate, including ToD rings.

Now, Monks can't get GS wraps without rolling back those buffs.  Which would be a very bad thing.

Monks get Burst rings, everyone else gets GS weapons.  Meh, whatever, long past time to move on.

Quote:
I DEFINITELY don't see them as OP since most monks take two hits and fucking eat shit and die. That and since wind stance no longer partially stacks with haste, let the little fuckers have their GS wraps.

Poorly built Monks.  OP is in the optimal, not the noob.

I suspect a ShintaoIII with LitII wraps, Holy+Shocking burst rings, could out DPS Barbarians vs. a ton of things, especially Pit Fiends.

IP Logged

Asketes
Puppy Farmer

Perma

Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Cor wrote on Jun 23rd, 2011 at 12:55pm:
Poorly built Monks.  OP is in the optimal, not the noob.

Oh this I understand, trust me. My guy sat around 600hp, seemed pretty beefy for what I was capable of dishing out.

I was using a very over generalized response.

I came to the game as mod8 was released, I forgot GS was out a mod or two before monkies.

I'm still curious if it's the wraps or the way the fist attacks are interpreted that is causing the issue.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Monks get Burst rings, everyone else gets GS weapons.  Meh, whatever, long past time to move on.

This makes it hard for them to drop any nice handwraps on us. Once they get paired with ToD rings (and possibly the PRE) they are uber handwraps of dooo0000000ooo00000mmmmmmm.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Scupperer
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Have they fixed the issue where crafted wraps with Holy (for example, probably doesn't work with other alignment-based enchantments either) don't actually make attacks bypass Good DR?

Cause that one's pretty annoying too.  Last I checked the bug is still there but I haven't bothered to make new wraps to see if they fixed it but not retroactively.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #12 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Scupperer wrote on Jun 23rd, 2011 at 2:04pm:
Have they fixed the issue where crafted wraps with Holy (for example, probably doesn't work with other alignment-based enchantments either) don't actually make attacks bypass Good DR?

Cause that one's pretty annoying too.  Last I checked the bug is still there but I haven't bothered to make new wraps to see if they fixed it but not retroactively.

Yeah that's annoying for sure. I made some holy of undead bane handwraps for the ghostly skellies in Deleras, and they don't bypass DR  Angry they do the good damage, they just dont bypass good dr

IP Logged

Azuphle
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:32am:
Did anyone else notice that, aside from the massive amounts of bugs, crafted handwraps SEEM to be acting more like standard weapons? Previously handwraps applied the buffs to the character, which were visible in the examination window. Crafted handwraps do not do this. Also there are reports of crafted anarchic/anarchic burst handwraps giving the negative level not normally associated random gen handwraps.

So do you think that maybe the devs are using the BETA tag on crafting to try to correct the handwrap weirdness? By only doing it to crafted handwraps, they can hide behind that beta tag as to why they're not working like previous handwraps.

I mentioned this theory as well and I'm still very positive about that.
If they do it like this it's not very resource intense.

Apart from that: The wrap weirdness and the lack of GS wraps are probably not related though.

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #14 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 8:36pm
Print Post  
Now, Monks can't get GS wraps without rolling back those buffs.  Which would be a very bad thing.

Not necessarily.  They could just make the buffs apply to all melee attacks instead of just unarmed attacks.  We know that tech exists (destruction armor, for example). 

It's also worthwhile to note that the extra damage comes hand in hand with a penalty, in that you can't craft other things (like +stat) on the rings you want burst on.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2011 at 8:38pm by Strakeln »  

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #15 - Jun 23rd, 2011 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
If Red Dragonscale armor can work, then I'd expect that they could make X Burst rings work too.  Of course, that would also mean that Epic Sword of Shadow would break Pit Fiend DR with just a Silver augment, but I'm willing to bet that they could put an [if weapon = handwraps] statement in the code somehow.

fnord

IP Logged

Torgal
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 12:38am
Print Post  
Another large difference between wraps and other weapons is that the damage scales with the monks level.  This may have been another reason behind them coding wraps differently.

Vordax

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 4:05am
Print Post  
Torgal wrote on Jun 24th, 2011 at 12:38am:
Another large difference between wraps and other weapons is that the damage scales with the monks level.  This may have been another reason behind them coding wraps differently.

Vordax

I would bet on this heavily, but it seems to me that the monk scaling damage is only affected by the monk level, not the wraps equipped.

ie, the coding is IN MONKS, not IN WRAPS.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #18 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 4:12am
Print Post  
Asketes wrote on Jun 23rd, 2011 at 11:58am:

My monk can get over 700 hp.... 734 to be exact.   If that is squishy, you should find new groups  Wink

I agree though, gimme my gs wraps!

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 4:35am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Jun 24th, 2011 at 4:12am:
I agree though, gimme my gs wraps!

My Monk steals aggro in Normal Vod/ToD on Sullo without breaking DR....

Min2 wraps on a Dark monk? Or even better....Lit2?

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #20 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 6:54am
Print Post  
Quote:
My Monk steals aggro in Normal Vod/ToD on Sullo without breaking DR....

Min2 wraps on a Dark monk? Or even better....Lit2?

If your monk is doing that, the problem is the tank, not you.  DPS is the best hate generator out there.  Too many people have started to rely on hate gen gear to make up for their inadequacies. 

Back to the wraps - I don't care that it would be op as all hell, I want them!

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 7:36am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Jun 24th, 2011 at 6:54am:
If your monk is doing that, the problem is the tank, not you.  DPS is the best hate generator out there.  Too many people have started to rely on hate gen gear to make up for their inadequacies. 

Back to the wraps - I don't care that it would be op as all hell, I want them!

It's not always the tanks fault.

When Dukkha starts chaining crits with ToD included....well.... Smiley

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #22 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Quote:
It's not always the tanks fault.

When Dukkha starts chaining crits with ToD included....well.... Smiley

TANKS. FAULT.

There is no room for debate.  The tank should be the highest dps (obv not including rogues since their big think comes from not having aggro).  Unless your monk is a glass cannon - quit being a bitch and start tanking since you are better dps.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #23 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 9:17am
Print Post  
I've actually started tanking VoD on my Fighter even though he has miserable AC and he's fleshy just because I know I'll end up stealing aggro even without using my Fighter Haste boosts or Kensai power surge.

I'm not saying that my guy is BEST DPS EVAR or anything, but there are a lot of really shitty tanks that go into VoD.  Having a good tank means that everyone can hop on Sully immediately instead of having to wait 10 seconds before jumping in when the pit fiend is going to teleport and reset aggro in 20 seconds. 

Also, if they just drop monk damage by 1 die step at every level, then we'll have the same DPS at every level with a handwrap that does 1d1 damage as a real weapon.

fnord

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #24 - Jun 24th, 2011 at 9:40am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Jun 24th, 2011 at 9:17am:
I've actually started tanking VoD on my Fighter even though he has miserable AC and he's fleshy just because I know I'll end up stealing aggro even without using my Fighter Haste boosts or Kensai power surge.

I'm not saying that my guy is BEST DPS EVAR or anything, but there are a lot of really shitty tanks that go into VoD.  Having a good tank means that everyone can hop on Sully immediately instead of having to wait 10 seconds before jumping in when the pit fiend is going to teleport and reset aggro in 20 seconds. 

Also, if they just drop monk damage by 1 die step at every level, then we'll have the same DPS at every level with a handwrap that does 1d1 damage as a real weapon.

Hehehe, people on argo have been using the remove curse in VoD since it came out.  Some of us just have a bard/caster/high umd guy wand whip remove curse if it is only one cleric.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint