Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Elkabongg needs a hand it seems... (Read 2040 times)
Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Elkabongg needs a hand it seems...
Jun 29th, 2011 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
So I joined an EChrono this am that went south in a big way multiple times.  Pretty much the divine and arcane casters bailed us out.  Offers to recompensate pot use were refused.  But that completion should not have happened.

Elkabongg was the tank by default.  Although I knew I was not prepared for the task, I went with it as there were no other options available.  I failed in a big way.  My observations were:

1. To hit was an issue.  I needed to turn off power attack and still got misses on a 4 or lower roll.

2. Elemental damage was a bear to contend with on a toon without evasion.  I misjumped and was taken out by fire breath.  Other elemental attacks would take a giant chunk of hp away.

Elkabongg is my bard.  He is going through a barb life.  My plan was to get 20th reward lists in most raids then continue with his long term build plan.  He can be found here:  http://my.ddo.com/character/khyber/elkabongg/

Now since I was planning on continuing to TR him, eventually back to bard, I'm looking for help with his to hit and such.  If that can be helped at all.  He's a solid dps with around 850hp all raged out.  I have madstone boots, upgraded quariforged docent, Min2/Epic Antique Greataxe on him.  He still struggles to hit certain mobs in epic.

I'm a little frustrated with his performance currently and wondering if there is anything I can do to make him better in his current incarnation.  Opinions are welcome, if you have them.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Re: Elkabongg needs a hand it seems...
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 5:24am
Print Post  
For starters get a necklace that doesn't do the same thing your docent does.  Your belt is nice.  It really is to bad that it is horrible place to put a greensteel item.  Move it somewhere else.  Like the helm.  Now for your minos, put it in the bank for the next tr.  Your docent has toughness on it, a greensteel mineral has your fort.

The shintao set is popular for increasing to hit and dmg.  The warpriests belt increases your to-hit, though I am not sure if it stacks with spectral gloves.  That failing, craft a lvl 7 pair of goggles to give you a +4 bonus to your to-hit.  Since your goggles serve no real function anyways. 

Also, since any good caster doesn't carry gh as a spell, make sure to bring a clicky.  Well, on argo a lot of caster dump gh and just scroll it, not sure what they do elsewhere nor do I care to be hoenst.

Failing, that bring a real bard.  Warchanter baby, warchanter.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Hey, Elka, you did a great job in that ToD last night as the Suulu tank, btw.  No issues with agro there.  You did a great job.

Agree with the above stuff.

Shintao set is a good booster.  Honestly, with a 55 strength raged tho (from your myddo), that's a +22.  With 20 BAB and a GS weapon you are looking at +47 with nothing else going on.  Throw in GH, haste, a +2 from the spectrals and you should be at +54.  With some recitation and bard songs you are easily topping +60-64.  PA will knock you back down to around the +55-58.  I don't know the exact AC of the end boss, but that should be sufficient in eChrono.

IP Logged

Emili
Shroud Slacker

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:07pm
Print Post  

On a barb I tank him round the pillars and duck out when he's fiesty. I've never had an issue with hitting him though... am running least 60 much that fight though. My true feeling on him is that evasive toons work best or high HP self-sufficient caster types with absobtion items a DoT ... a 18/2 FVS/monk being primo.

My opinion... absorbtion items swapped in for that fight.

« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:09pm by Emili »  

|IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 | IMaj7 vim7 | iim7 V13 |III7+  VI9 | iim9  V13 |IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 |IMaj7 vim7 |iim7 V13 |I6  ivm7  bVII9 |I69   |

Bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'etre aimé et quand s'en va, l'espoir fuit.

IP Logged

Emili
Shroud Slacker

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Jun 30th, 2011 at 5:24am:
Failing, that bring a real bard.  Warchanter baby, warchanter.

Issue with many a SS or Virt is people do not know how to build them... all bards should max out the IC APs. So a pure SS IC vs a splashed chanter should only be a difference of +1 damage - ic's to-hit then exactly the same. Wink Personaly I been waiting patiently to see what tier three PrEs will be, I do hope notable as we waited over four years for tier II which btw was kind of a let down.

|IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 | IMaj7 vim7 | iim7 V13 |III7+  VI9 | iim9  V13 |IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 |IMaj7 vim7 |iim7 V13 |I6  ivm7  bVII9 |I69   |

Bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'etre aimé et quand s'en va, l'espoir fuit.

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the responses, it's appreciated.

Necklace and Minos Helm:  The necklace I left on as a joke when i logged.  Mostly to slightly irritate one of my guildies. 

Minos helm is a bit different however.  He's wearing his Warchanter set for rings.  Combined it's +3str/+3con.  Somehow, I ended up with an odd valued str which annoys me.  However the helm is his source of heavy fort.  I have a few rings on bank toons, but wouldn't want to give up one of those upgraded TOD rings.

I like the helm idea.  Just been to lazy/poor in scales to craft another min2 helm.  I do have the blank in the bank as well though.

I will bite the bullet and go ahead and get him started on a helm however.

The Shintao set sounds good as well.  I will cross my fingers on drops.

Thanks for the compliment regarding TOD Smiley  I really need to just stop being lazy on multiple TR's and optimize my toons. 

Yeah, my goggles suck eggs.  I just threw those on him because his bard ones boosted his umd substantially.  They do nothing for him currently as a berserker sadly.

Sounds like some swaps in gear is really all I need to worry about in the present.  This is good.

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Funny thing about tanking him...  I did drag the Conjoined Abashai over to the pillars originally.  I botched my timing on jumping out of the way and got fried. 

Elemental Absorption items are an issue I am again seeing with this toon.  His first mishaps were in EVON6 on the fire base.  Compensating by getting his hp above the 500 mark helped immensely with fireshield scrolls.  Seems I may have to add more stuff to the 'to be crafted' list.
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2011 at 8:40pm by Madcow430 »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 3:57am
Print Post  
Emili wrote on Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:31pm:
Issue with many a SS or Virt is people do not know how to build them... all bards should max out the IC APs. So a pure SS IC vs a splashed chanter should only be a difference of +1 damage - ic's to-hit then exactly the same. Wink Personaly I been waiting patiently to see what tier three PrEs will be, I do hope notable as we waited over four years for tier II which btw was kind of a let down.

This is why I generalize bards that aren't warchanter - most of them think, oh hey, I am not a warchanter, fuck my buff songs.  Some bards dont even sing them unless told to. 

I see how on  khyber it doesn't matter too much, shit I have to ask for haste when there are 2 casters and a bard in the group - wtf is with that? That shit don't fly on argo.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #8 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 4:10am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Jul 1st, 2011 at 3:57am:
I see how on  khyber it doesn't matter too much, shit I have to ask for haste when there are 2 casters and a bard in the group - wtf is with that? That shit don't fly on argo.

It doesn't fly on Khyber either Epoch. You're just grouping with a bunch of 'tards.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #9 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 5:23am
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Jul 1st, 2011 at 4:10am:
It doesn't fly on Khyber either Epoch. You're just grouping with a bunch of 'tards.

Fair enough.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #10 - Aug 3rd, 2011 at 3:17am
Print Post  
Not sure if you need any advice still, but after tanking this on my Pally and now Barb since Chrono came out, these are the 3 keys I find:

1: Reflex save 30+ buffed. I think 36 is save on 2+.

2: 50% and 33% Fire absorb (Cloak of Ice and Greaves for me)

3: Awareness - This includes jumping out on Ice and asking for new buffs that get dispelled and keeping your own combat buffs up.

You really only need 500 or so HP provided you have a reflex save...I have always stayed in for fire (first with evasion, then I added absorb gear to handle a 1 and realized half dmg + absorb gear is all you need).

A guildie has a rare ranger/fighter/monk AC build that can handle the damage fine but had trouble with agro simply because he was missing. +4 attack goggles and +4 hobglob's solved that issue though.

That is why watching your buffs is important, losing haste, GH etc might drop your to hit enough that you start missing and then lose agro.

Proud Leader & official Gimp of Crimson Eagles on Khyber
Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor WF FvS 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 18 - Splatsplat 18/2 DoSIII

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint