Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Scroll Farming? (Read 3301 times)
Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Scroll Farming?
Jun 29th, 2011 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
I mostly play melees, healers and bards.  I have capped Wiz that has been around a long time (my second toon ever) but he gets little play time.  My drop rates on scrolls have been crap for so long in parties, that I'm thinking about giving farming a shot.

My understanding is that casters make the best scroll farmers.  But my questions are:

1)  What are the best quests to scroll farm?  I hear VON1 is good, and I've seen videos from the ADQ1 scorp pit and the Wiz King gnoll room.  What about VoN 2-5?  Whats best for farming Fens scrolls? Is that even done?  I know theres only a few scrolls there worth a damn (claw set mainly).

2)  What tactics are used?  Is it mainly going in with a high necro DC and insta-killing everything?  Or is it cc/nuking?  I'm thinking of Chrono, Von and desert mainly.  What kind of DC's do you need on necro for these mobs?  My wiz is archmage specced and has some epic gear and can get around a 40 necro DC.  Enchantment around 42.

Any tips from someone who has experience would be appreciated.

Snarky remarks are expected. 

Thanks!

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Re: Scroll Farming?
Reply #1 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
I do not have a capped caster yet, but here are my experiences...

Desert, easy reset due to explorer area and nearby shrines
ADQ1 pit with arcane archer. Bonus of 3 free chests with possible seals
Wiz King gnolls and clay golems with arcane archer. Scrolling magic circle against evil and having epic robes of dissonance make it easy. 1 chest with possible seal.
OoB with cleric. Drop in, cast 1 blade barrier and circle kite. Usually able to start recalling before the barrier goes away.

Sentinels
Tide Turns opening room with anything with a ranged attack/damage. Several emplaced mobs that can't move. DoT, arrows, whatever. Is cake. Helpful to have an extra person for resets.

VoN
VoN5 with cleric. Slow moving, mindless zombies at beginning plus some relatively weak warforged further in. Undeath to Death, Halt Undead, Firewall, whatever for zombies. Rowbuts take some extra care, but instakill just fine.

Carnival
Partycrashers, tons of summoned mobs with no ranged attacks. Perch and burn. Nearby quest for hireling reset.

Chrono
Pull mobs from excavation site very carefully so you only have to deal with 1 or 2 at a time. Nearby quest for hireling reset.

IP Logged

Azuphle
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Glenaths Stuff plus:

VoN:
5: you can even jump on doorways (easier with FvS/Air Savant indeed) and heal/burn zombies out of safety
4: is really easy to BB farm, a lot of monsters can be killed there without any resets (Epic Robe of Dissonance helps)

Desert:
Wiz King: Less kills, but probably faster with just BBing Melee mobs
DQ1: if you happen to have a healer with evasion and a good save - Bat is very nice

Chrono:
There is an almost Foolproof method for this one (this means even my caster can do this, and well he sucks badly): Since they copied the Chronoscope just over from Gianthold you can easily get on the upper ledge Cheesy Go there after the show has started and no one will see you. Power Word: Kill the Cleric (he dw's trash) and then lvl-drain and finger the rest - as soon as one of the mobs saves devil will come up, he's easily webable and has kinda weird issues when hes up there, DoT the hell out of him. After you killed the 10 mobs get the shrine and Hireling reset in Gladewatch Outpost or Archerpoint

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 7:37pm
Print Post  
Good advice in here.

I'm building a necro/conj am (almost 17) with a little emphasis in enchant.

Mostly for chronology and eclaw farming.

Might take him into oob and von5 once I get comfortable with the methods.

Any tips of farming with a wiz? Ie, dcs, hp/sp, gear.... Anything would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:47am
Print Post  
Main obstacle to overcome is tedium.  This isn't like xp farming where you run the whole quest several times, but 1 room (maybe 2) several times.  This can get old very quickly if your luck isn't in and you don't enjoy this kind of repetitive play.

Tips others have posted are sound.

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 9:23am
Print Post  
With an arcane, gather up mobs, web them up, crushing despair > circle of death > fod, finger/pwk survivors, if there are any after the finger/pwk, just move on, rinse/repeat. Von 1/4 are a peach for that, Chrono as well (just hold and dot/polar ray the orange name, be sure to pwk the acolyte as soon as it goes active). Works in fens as well.

It can be done in wizking as well, but it's much more of a pain there because activating the whole room brings up DA, and with all the casters active and spamming cometfall getting harried is a bad thing. Best thing there is juts to pull the mobs to the right shrine, jump up on the sarcophagi and ice storm/firewall, and pick off 1 by 1 with finger.

Von5 is kinda annoying without at least some spec in fire, webbing and icestorming the zombies is much slower kill/minute than other vons where you can instakill.

Von1 - only buff you need is displace and whichever one of exp retreat/haste, run to the minotaurs, crushing despair, circle, wail, run down to the 3 hobgoblins, cd/circle/wail, run all the way to the kobold, web the room, activate trolls, wait for the ogres, cd/circle/wail, rinse/repeat will probably be needed as ogres and trolls have decent saves. After that, run to the fork, round up mobs, cd/circle/wail. Run to the troll boss, cd/circle/wail. Ddoor and recall after that, ignore red names.

Von4 - displace, fom, cold/elec/fire resist, jump, invisi. Invisi, run to the lever, pull, run inside. If the earth ele is bothering you, pwk. Run in, jump on the speaking head, talk to it, round up the mobs (grab the two wf to the left, but don't go past the line where shadow meets the light), cd/circle/wail. Run to the right side, watch out for fall-out floors, when you see a group of warforged cd/circle/wail. Ignore the dogs for now. Keep running till you get to the last door, blow it open, gather up mobs, cd/circle/wail, web if there's survivors, rinse/repeat. If any dogs followed you, web/ice storm them. If you're not a PM, watch out for disco balls. Once everything is dead, invisi, hug the left wall, pull the lever, go inside and shrine, recall.

Chrono - fire cold elec resist, displace, dw. Run inside, start it up, dancing ball in the middle (just cast one so the mobs are rounded up better, best location comes with practice) to the left.  On the right side from where you enter, there are 3 mobs - melee, acolyte and caster (close to far side). Web the caster, stand next to the acolyte. As soon as it's active, pwk the acolyte, finger the webbed caster. Hop over to the danced mobs, cd/pwk/wail, rinse repeat. Ignore orange name till everything is dead, then energy drain, cd, hold, nuke. Through the portal, shrine, recall. You can cheese it by going up the ramp and picking off mobs from there before they're active, but its just slower and there's no real reason to do it.

In edq1 just seal farm, and kill the mobs in the pit when getting scorpion chest (they actually have saves there, so you might need to ice storm them).

You get the idea - round up, dc/circle/wail. If there's a mob that casts deathward, instakill asap before it fires it off. With a divine, it's just a lot of running around in circles while BBing, while keeping divine punishment stacked on the orange names and imploding/destructing mobs that refuse to be bb kited.

Do NOT use any spells/gear that can blind mobs or invisi you, you want the mobs aggroed on you and following you as close as possible, on an arcane or divine. Biggest problem is generally getting stunned or danced (hello lich form).

Btw if you have a pimped up divine, just BB farm amrath quests for large mats instead, it's much less braindamaging and about as profitable, if not more (or maybe I'm just unlucky with scrolls  Roll Eyes).
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2011 at 9:25am by sweez »  

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 11:16am
Print Post  
sweez wrote on Jun 30th, 2011 at 9:23am:
Btw if you have a pimped up divine, just BB farm amrath quests for large mats instead, it's much less braindamaging and about as profitable, if not more (or maybe I'm just unlucky with scrolls  Roll Eyes).

Interesting idea on this one.  Whats the best quest for that?  New Invasion and Genesis Point seem to have the most chests. 

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 11:46am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jun 30th, 2011 at 11:16am:
Interesting idea on this one.  Whats the best quest for that?  New Invasion and Genesis Point seem to have the most chests. 

Sins is the fastest one, 5 chests in 10-15 minutes if you hit up all the optionals (be sure to take the badge, if you choose any other boss the chest in the first room to the left will be locked), with a chance of keepsake (last chest) and all the larges afaik (side room chests and the one of the two chests in the last room I believe). Check side rooms with Q for chests, go only in ones that have chests, after you've hit 3 chests, go straight for the end, talk to the prisoners and don't pull the lever.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 11:58am
Print Post  
sweez wrote on Jun 30th, 2011 at 11:46am:
Sins is the fastest one, 5 chests in 10-15 minutes if you hit up all the optionals (be sure to take the badge, if you choose any other boss the chest in the first room to the left will be locked), with a chance of keepsake (last chest) and all the larges afaik (side room chests and the one of the two chests in the last room I believe). Check side rooms with Q for chests, go only in ones that have chests, after you've hit 3 chests, go straight for the end, talk to the prisoners and don't pull the lever.

Thanks.  I was thinking Sins and typed new invasion.  I've pulled LDS from that chest in the fire ele side room a couple times.  It is nice.  This seems to be a slow and steady approach.  Higher drop rate, lower value. 

With scrolls you are looking for lightning to strike.  Chances are you get nothing.  When a scroll does drop, there are a lot more crappy ones than worthwhile ones.  There's maybe 10-12 scrolls in the game with a value greater than 1 LDS. 

2 Claw Scrolls
5 Abaishai Scrolls
SoS
Marilith Chain
Chaos Blade

What else is there that really has heavy value?  Not much.

The chance of bagging one of these (vs. a Crimson Necklace, Cacaphonic Verge, or Stinkpelt's hide) has got to be miniscule.  I can see why Chrono is a good farming place.  Highest percentage of valuable scrolls to total scrolls possible.

IP Logged

Jaxx
Fleet Admiral

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
If you have the setup to dual box and an hour or two to waste, farming ADQ1 is your best bang for the buck kill wise. 

When just farming scrolls on one of my 4 capped Arcanes, I average about 250-300 kills per hour running up the ramp to the scorpion pit.  2-3 Ice Storms will kill all the chasing baddies in about a minute and then I recall.  If I am ransacked on the chests, I typically say Fuck the scorps as they are usually scattered all over the room and can take an extra couple minutes to roast. 

Kill the 15 chasers, recall and reform with your 2nd account that is parked in the marketplace.  Low on mana, there is a shrine right up the path that leads to the DQ lair and you can refill!

2-3 scrolls per hour is the norm and I have gotten as many as 3 on a single pass.  Only downside is the high number of shit scrolls present in the desert compared to Chrono.  I've netted about 100 scrolls in the last month but sadly none of the really good raid scrolls  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:28pm by Jaxx »  

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Jaxx wrote on Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:27pm:
If you have the setup to dual box and an hour or two to waste, farming ADQ1 is your best bang for the buck kill wise. 

When just farming scrolls on one of my 4 capped Arcanes, I average about 250-300 kills per hour running up the ramp to the scorpion pit.  2-3 Ice Storms will kill all the chasing baddies in about a minute and then I recall.  If I am ransacked on the chests, I typically say Fuck the scorps as they are usually scattered all over the room and can take an extra couple minutes to roast. 

Kill the 15 chasers, recall and reform with your 2nd account that is parked in the marketplace.  Low on mana, there is a shrine right up the path that leads to the DQ lair and you can refill!

2-3 scrolls per hour is the norm and I have gotten as many as 3 on a single pass.  Only downside is the high number of shit scrolls present in the desert compared to Chrono.  I've netted about 100 scrolls in the last month but sadly none of the really good raid scrolls  Embarrassed

Just summon & dismiss a hireling, no need for a second account.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:40pm:
Just summon & dismiss a hireling, no need for a second account.

Shhhhhh

Two accounts = twice the renown for OMGBIZZY. More renown = more mailboxes.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Jaxx
Fleet Admiral

Reply #12 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
Fuck Turbine and their Hirelings!  I've never used one and have no plans to do so going forward. 

Besides, 1 of my Arcanes is not DQ flagged and I am too lazy to run her thru Chains  Cheesy

IP Logged

Jaxx
Fleet Admiral

Reply #13 - Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:52pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:42pm:
Two accounts = twice the renown for OMGBIZZY. More renown = more mailboxes.

THIS!

IP Logged

SpiritBoy
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 1st, 2011 at 11:06am
Print Post  
As far as Red Fens scroll farming, I like to take my lightning spec'd arcane to a swim in deeps. Give yourself sonic and displacement, swim around the water gathering about 9-10 mobs (left has small gatherings, right has a rather large gathering of trash). Zap 'em with chain lightning and ball, and they go down in about 2 or 3 of those. Ddoor, shrine, go to the other side, recall. shrine, etc.
I found it quite efficient myself. And you don't need fancy DC's to pull it off.
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2011 at 1:20pm by SpiritBoy »  

IP Logged

Dark_Helmet
Wielder of the Schwartz

I hate you!

Reply #15 - Jul 5th, 2011 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Jaxx wrote on Jun 30th, 2011 at 12:27pm:

Don't need a second box:
Just copy the whole Turbine folder to another directory and make a shortcut to that DNDLauncher.exe.  Start up both launchers (I run 6 at a time since all that memory leak crashing started happening), then you can login to 2 different accounts from one machine.  Use your F2P account to break/join groups  to reset instances (alt-tab back and forth since full screen gets the most from your graphics accelerator).

When I was messing around with farming (trying to find select scrolls and seals damn Turbine!), I did DQ1, WizKing, VON1,2,4. Chrono entrance was easy. Also, if you are good, you can farm the DQ2 entrance (you can also do that for quick blue coins if you are into that crap).

IP Logged

Stanley Nicholas
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Dark_Helmet wrote on Jul 5th, 2011 at 10:40pm:
Also, if you are good, you can farm the DQ2 entrance (you can also do that for quick blue coins if you are into that crap).

You'll have to be pretty damn good then, because DQ2 doesn't drop scrolls, period.  All you'll be farming are token fragments and possibly blue coins.

Does anyone have advice on farming chrono with a FvS?  The lack of PWK hurts.  Is there a better way than running back down the ramp after starting it up and trying to just pull and kill 1 or 2 at a time?

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Stanley Nicholas wrote on Jul 6th, 2011 at 12:17pm:
Does anyone have advice on farming chrono with a FvS?  The lack of PWK hurts.  Is there a better way than running back down the ramp after starting it up and trying to just pull and kill 1 or 2 at a time?

Start implosion just as the acolyte is about to get active, and try to destruct asap. If it doesn't work, just run outside and BB kite the melee mobs while keeping up DP on casters (or just pick them off with destruction if they're not dw-ed). You can kinda block casters in the entryway, so that they try to hit you through the wall while you BB other mobs in peace.

Or, you could try to climb up to the gallery (however the hell you'd call it, the second floor lol), and try to energy drain/destruct the acolyte after it's spawned but before it's aggroed on you and casting DW all over the place, then proceed to BB the crap out of everything.
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2011 at 7:52pm by sweez »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint