Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Anyone Notice that this whole crafting debacle... (Read 6226 times)
Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Re: Anyone Notice that this whole crafting debacle...
Reply #25 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 9th, 2011 at 9:52pm:
You aren't getting the impact of including raid loot or btc tomes to the crafting mix.

He doesn't get a lot of things.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #26 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Jul 9th, 2011 at 10:15pm:
He doesn't get a lot of things.

You know what you can get?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #27 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 12:08am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 9th, 2011 at 10:17pm:
You know what you can get?

Your mom?

Clever I know.  No way you saw that one coming.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #28 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 1:51am
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Jul 9th, 2011 at 8:34pm:
I don't get quitting over crafting, tbh.  It's brand new and it wasn't there a couple of months ago.  It's not in any way mandatory.  Why not just completely ignore its presence and be glad that there's now an extra type of loot that drops in chests and is worth selling? 

I'm just sayin, even if it's absolutely shithouse, you don't really have to participate, right?  What could possibly make it quit-worthy? 

If I hadn't done any Cannith crafting in any way, shape, or form since it came out, I'd agree with you.

However, my crafting levels are 94/94/79 which means I've spent a lot of time and a LOT of resources to get good at it.

If they "yank the football away" (much like Lucy does to Charlie Brown) from other crafters like me, it will prove once and for all Turbine doesn't care about their game nor their customers. I've been playing since Head Start (over 5.5 years) and while Turbine's done a lot to screw over their players, this would be the LAST straw. I like the current Cannith crafting (although I would not be sad to see Unbound shards go away) and I saw it as an opportunity to better the equipment on some of my toons. Equipment that I neither have the time nor luck to get via raiding, epic or otherwise.

Take away the one thing they've done recently that I really like then what's the point in staying?
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2011 at 1:00pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #29 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:48am
Print Post  
My main concern is the change to raid dynamics if raid loot and tomes are included in the mix. I really hope they don't go there.

It's the complete failure to understand the social dynamics that would be affected that worries me.

Whatever they do instead, they'd best take a bloody good look at it, and make sure they get proper feedback. It sounds as though Mournlands didn't even see it, and as for Lamannia - if the first response is "sorry, it's going live anyway" what's the point of even having the preview server?

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 8:15am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 9th, 2011 at 9:52pm:
You aren't getting the impact of including raid loot or btc tomes to the crafting mix.

I dunno, I don't think that there are that many people who are heavily into the higher levels of crafting who would be slobbering over throwing their raid loot at crafting.  As far as the impact, wouldn't it mean more people who were running raids looking for loot? 

I mean, sure, there'll be more people who aren't going to pass their Dreamspitter because they need one for crafting, but how many of that sort of dude would have even been in that raid otherwise? 

It's entirely possible that I'm wrong about how many high-level crafters there are, but from what I've seen, at least, there really aren't a whole lot of folks who have been willing to put in the grind needed to hit the level where you'd even have to worry about this sort of thing. 

And that much I can understand, Arkat.  For those folks who did grind their way up into the 90s, it's gotta feel like a bit of a kick in the balls, so if you and others in the same boat wanted to quit over this, I could understand it.  After all, you've not only blown a shitload of time, but probably a fat pile of resources as well.  Hopefully the next pass doesn't look quite so stupid.  Tongue

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Jul 10th, 2011 at 8:15am:
I dunno, I don't think that there are that many people who are heavily into the higher levels of crafting who would be slobbering over throwing their raid loot at crafting.  As far as the impact, wouldn't it mean more people who were running raids looking for loot? 

I mean, sure, there'll be more people who aren't going to pass their Dreamspitter because they need one for crafting, but how many of that sort of dude would have even been in that raid otherwise? 

It's entirely possible that I'm wrong about how many high-level crafters there are, but from what I've seen, at least, there really aren't a whole lot of folks who have been willing to put in the grind needed to hit the level where you'd even have to worry about this sort of thing. 

And that much I can understand, Arkat.  For those folks who did grind their way up into the 90s, it's gotta feel like a bit of a kick in the balls, so if you and others in the same boat wanted to quit over this, I could understand it.  After all, you've not only blown a shitload of time, but probably a fat pile of resources as well.  Hopefully the next pass doesn't look quite so stupid.  Tongue 

For me at least, its much less about what was spent.

It is really about Turbine in general. If they can really push something like this onto Live, regardless of what the players say, then they have completely lost my support. A company that hobbles its players and the social aspect of a game doesn't deserve to be running the game.

Simply put, it would show to me that they really have no interest in their playerbase, but only in money.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #32 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Jul 10th, 2011 at 8:15am:

You like to work things out for yourself, but I will give you a hint. If a Sorc pulls Tharnes goggles in VoD, and there are a bunch of Melees, what usually happens? If the Sorc could use it to craft something now, what happens?

Here is another hint. Most people only have one of their characters as a crafter. Raid loot is BtC for the most part. What does that mean?

Have you ever seen a +4 tome in a chest? If for some reason those were made into crafting ingredients, what would it mean?

As for your comment to there aren't many high level characters.... maybe in your circle, but I will tell you it isn't the case in mine.

While you are working on that, here is some Conway Twitty.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #33 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 11:36am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 10th, 2011 at 10:48am:
As for your comment to there aren't many high level characters.... maybe in your circle, but I will tell you it isn't the case in mine.

I would really like to know how many hours each week are spent on characters of level "x".

How many character-hours are spent per week on level 1 characters.  On level 2 characters.  On level 3 characters, etc.

There are a ton of players that will never hit level 20 on *any* character.  But for most players that do hit level 20, they will sit at 20 for a lot longer than they spent on any level up to 20.

I expect that only Turbine could answer that question, but I do think that it would be really interesting to see those numbers.

fnord

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #34 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Jul 10th, 2011 at 11:36am:
I would really like to know how many hours each week are spent on characters of level "x".

I was speaking of high level crafters, but yes that would be good info to know.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #35 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:48am:
It's the complete failure to understand the social dynamics that would be affected that worries me.

As I've said before, I don't really care too much about crafting, aside from the impact it has on people that I like.  But between the complete lack of design review prior to Lammania, and the complete disconnect between the designers and the game, I'm not very encouraged about things to come.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 11:45pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 10th, 2011 at 10:48am:
You like to work things out for yourself, but I will give you a hint. If a Sorc pulls Tharnes goggles in VoD, and there are a bunch of Melees, what usually happens? If the Sorc could use it to craft something now, what happens?

Here is another hint. Most people only have one of their characters as a crafter. Raid loot is BtC for the most part. What does that mean?

Have you ever seen a +4 tome in a chest? If for some reason those were made into crafting ingredients, what would it mean?

While you are working on that, here is some Conway Twitty.

I was thinking about this today, and I honestly don't think that it would have that much of an impact, because people don't tend to be giant dickholes.  I mean, shards of power are craftable trinkets, but I see them getting passed left and right. 

I dunno, I haven't really looked over the full list of this atrocity, but I just don't think that most people will fundamentally turn into jerks over stuff that's really important for someone else's build unless the shard is something they really need as well.  And if it means that certain loot becomes more desirable, is that really all that bad of a thing? 

I agree, if +3 and +4 tomes were to be mandatory for important shards, that'd be utterly ridiculous because of the rarity of such things.  And the Abbot Tome trade-ins are pretty stupid too, because of how few of them there are.  But the more I think of it, the more I think that a Dreamspitter sink isn't really that horrible.  And really, isn't that the worst offender fro the standpoint of being a desirable shard and having a ridiculously high requirement? 

That last question is a legit question and not just rhetorical, btw.  I honestly don't know the answer.  Tongue

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #37 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 12:04am
Print Post  
I used to give away +1 tomes like candy.  I kept one or two Int tomes in the bank in case I wanted to grab some more skill points as I was leveling a Wizard, but all of my other +1 tomes got passed to a character I was leveling to be given out to nice people I was pugging with.

I'm very sad that I won't consider doing that anymore becuase I'll need those +1 tomes to craft.

fnord

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint