Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Should Casters/DOTs be nerfed topic on DDO forum (Read 7282 times)
kitsune_ko
Titan Demolisher

Halfling Pali-Rogues FTW!

Should Casters/DOTs be nerfed topic on DDO forum
Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=328596

I have to say that I am really, really impressed for once. 10 pages of posts on the topic, and not one post so far is: A) questioning the role livestock played in another posters family tree, B) Suggesting that everyone but themselves are a complete moron, or C) Turning it into a neg-rep fest for anyone who posts something you do not agree with.

Best look now, this might be a good story to tell the grandkids about someday; a tall tale about the time there was a topic that actually was discussed rationally on the internet without flaming  or insults Grin

"Shiny stuff comes and goes; XP is forever."

2008-10-15: Full frontal Nerdity

IP Logged

rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Re: Should Casters/DOTs be nerfed topic on DDO forum
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
only faggots worry about others builds.

yep only faggots.

Quote:
Rev. Jim.
He is the only guy here that posts quality, you should all learn from him.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
kitsune_ko wrote on Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:22pm:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=328596

I have to say that I am really, really impressed for once. 10 pages of posts on the topic, and not one post so far is: A) questioning the role livestock played in another posters family tree, B) Suggesting that everyone but themselves are a complete moron, or C) Turning it into a neg-rep fest for anyone who posts something you do not agree with.

Best look now, this might be a good story to tell the grandkids about someday; a tall tale about the time there was a topic that actually was discussed rationally on the internet without flaming  or insults Grin

the link was to a thread about nerfing pale masters.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

kitsune_ko
Titan Demolisher

Halfling Pali-Rogues FTW!

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Mmm, and so it is. A few "Nerf the casters" topics popular today, was thinking of the wrong one when i made this post.

Still quite exceptional to see so many people acting and discussing rationally and more impressively, while the forums is bacically unmoderated because its the weekend.

"Shiny stuff comes and goes; XP is forever."

2008-10-15: Full frontal Nerdity

IP Logged

Fuck Off
The Big Fuck

My favorite word is Fuck.
Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
If someone worked to get that DC, they should reap the rewards.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.  - Albert Einstein

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #5 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
I'd like to see monster HP reduced (or melee weapon damage increased) and AC increased.

Malicia is easy to kill if you can hit her.  I've also seen PUGs where I'm pretty sure my Fighter was the only one who was hitting on more than a 20.

I'd like to see more of that.  I'd like to see places where a real investment into Melee would actually be worthwhile instead of just trying to squeeze that last 1% out of your DPS.
« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2011 at 9:36pm by popejubal »  

fnord

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
Fuck Off wrote on Jul 10th, 2011 at 8:25pm:
If someone worked to get that DC, they should reap the rewards.

Not trying to drag this discussion to the vault but...

Do you realize how easy it is to get a 42-43 necro DC?  The amount of gear you need is way less than what you need to gear a melee.

IP Logged

Fuck Off
The Big Fuck

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Reply #7 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Jul 10th, 2011 at 9:02pm:
Not trying to drag this discussion to the vault but...

Do you realize how easy it is to get a 42-43 necro DC?  The amount of gear you need is way less than what you need to gear a melee. 

Yes.

Don't give a fuck.

Someone worked for that so they should be able to reap those rewards.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.  - Albert Einstein

IP Logged

rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Reply #8 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
Fuck Off wrote on Jul 10th, 2011 at 9:16pm:
Yes.

Don't give a fuck.

^------this.

leave other people's builds the fuck alone.
if you do not like it then DNG with them.
also, never go full tard.

Quote:
Rev. Jim.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Fuck Off wrote on Jul 10th, 2011 at 9:16pm:
Yes.

Don't give a fuck.

So, you don't care that classes aren't balanced.

A hypothetical: what if arcanes had a level 9 spell that insta-killed everything in radius with no save or SR check and with a cooldown of 5 seconds.  You still "worked for it" by leveling up to 20.  Would that still be okay in your book? 

If so, congratulations on being the first person to simultaneously put forth that argument and be consistent... I guess.

IP Logged

Fuck Off
The Big Fuck

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Reply #10 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Jul 10th, 2011 at 10:43pm:

A hypothetical: what if arcanes had a level 9 spell that insta-killed everything in radius with no save or SR check and with a cooldown of 5 seconds.  You still "worked for it" by leveling up to 20.  Would that still be okay in your book? 

If so, congratulations on being the first person to simultaneously put forth that argument and be consistent... I guess. 

I don't care that classes are not balanced.  That is why I like DnD.

Your hypothetical is full of shit and irrelevant.  If the devs actually added that spell(Never happen hence why your hypothetical is full of shit), yes, I would take that spell.  Who wouldn't and if I had worked for all those past lives, I still wouldn't care.

It is irrelevant because that thread is all about having high DCs nerfed and people had to work for those DCs.

You failed your hypothetical.

« Last Edit: Jul 10th, 2011 at 11:01pm by Fuck Off »  

IP Logged

rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Reply #11 - Jul 10th, 2011 at 11:07pm
Print Post  

life is not balanced so why should a game be?

every class should have pros and cons.
if everything was balanced and everybody did the EXACT DPS, then i would move on to the next game very fast.

fuck that shit.
that's gey as all hell

Quote:
Rev. Jim.

IP Logged

Combat Wombat
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 1:02am
Print Post  
rev Jim wrote on Jul 10th, 2011 at 11:07pm:
life is not balanced so why should a game be?

every class should have pros and cons.
if everything was balanced and everybody did the EXACT DPS, then i would move on to the next game very fast.

fuck that shit.
that's gey as all hell

I think the point is with DoTs there are no cons for divine and arcane class. Self healing, burst(for arcanes), sustained dps, and cc.

Just did and epic chrono with 2 wizardz, 1 sorc, 1 cleric, 8 fvs and every person in that party could have slept through it save the sorc! who tanked the boss. Try that with a party full of melee and tell me the game isn't broken.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2011 at 1:06am by Combat Wombat »  

IP Logged

Fuck Off
The Big Fuck

Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Reply #13 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 2:23am
Print Post  
Combat Wombat wrote on Jul 11th, 2011 at 1:02am:
I think the point is with DoTs there are no cons for divine and arcane class. Self healing, burst(for arcanes), sustained dps, and cc.

Just did and epic chrono with 2 wizardz, 1 sorc, 1 cleric, 8 fvs and every person in that party could have slept through it save the sorc! who tanked the boss. Try that with a party full of melee and tell me the game isn't broken.

DnD had always been this way with casters spells in general.

The only real con as a caster was having low HP and early on they couldn't do much.  Divines could always self heal and the arcane types had to wait until they got whatever self heal capability they were going to get or they had to kill things before they died.

Turbine also went with the SP system instead of having number of spells per day so we spam stuff.  How many PnP games do you really stay perm hasted/raged/elemental resisted/GH/all the other buffs? 

Then there is poor AI with little buffing on their part and spamming spells that clearly doesn't work like kobolds spamming magic missile when you clearly have some kind of shield up yet they continue to do cast that spell.  It happens on all levels.  Some critter may try to cast some kind of hold several times in a row yet we continue to run freely because we have freedom of movement.  Some quests the mobs will dispell your stuff but it doesn't happen in all quests.

I wouldn't mind having a divine critter casting deathward but there really are not many divine critters.  I would prefer to be able to dispell it much like I have to prep a critter to be fingered because I don't always land my fingers without some kind of prep work.  Typically I'll mass hold and let the melee types deal with some of the trash because it still is efficient.

It would be nice if the melee types thought about more than just DPS.  They don't carry curse spewers or shattermantles.  They can't be bothered to carry those because they feel they are just for DPS.  So it falls back onto the caster to deal with debuffing mobs. 

It is my fucking SP, I debuffed the critter myself so I get to decide what to do with my SP.  If the melee types actually contributed in that debuffing, I would have more sympathy.  Most don't so they don't so they can go fuck themselves.

I'm happy with the variety my caster has now.

If people are really serious about fixing things, they need to ask for better designed quests, better/larger selection of combat feats for melee and better AI.

Nerfing is not the solution to anything because it just pisses people off.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2011 at 2:32am by Fuck Off »  

IP Logged

bob the builder
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 8:40am
Print Post  
Turbine cares that classes are balanced because it affects their bottom line... whether you like it or not, some people do care a lot if one class seems to make their favorite useless.   if enough people become dissatisified, they will leave the game.

Now, however, I think people that whine and bitch on a forum that a certain class or item needs to be nerfed need to be kicked in the junk.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #15 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 8:51am
Print Post  

Something something straw man.

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #16 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Fuck Off wrote on Jul 11th, 2011 at 2:23am:
DnD had always been this way with casters spells in general.

The only real con as a caster was having low HP and early on they couldn't do much.  Divines could always self heal and the arcane types had to wait until they got whatever self heal capability they were going to get or they had to kill things before they died.

Here's the problem. 

Casters don't have low HP.  (For the purpose of this discussion we will assume a competent caster with at least an average build.  Those tools you find in PuGs who need help using the restroom don't count).  Average caster HP I see is around 400-450 unbuffed and around 500ish buffed.  Some WF are touching 550-600 buffed.  Average melee tank is sporting 650ish and 750-800 buffed.  Casters can get about 75% of the HP of a melee tank when buffed.  Never see that in PnP or any other game.  It's broken.

Casters don't have an AC problem.  Because AC is meaningless for all but two or three builds.  The melee with a 40ish AC and the caster with a 20 are the same.  Mobs are hitting you in epics on just about anything but a 1.  Whether you are the melee tank or the caster.  Casters have immediate and recurring access to the best forms of damage avoidance:  Displacement, Blur, Protects.  So melee AC = Caster AC.  At best they are equivalent in dmg avoidance.  At worst, the caster is superior.  How is that working?  Caster in robes equivalent or better than melee?  Huh

Casters kick melee ass in DR.  A caster can throw on a shield, shield block and drop nasty DoT's.  And hold aggro against boosting, raging, claw set, abashi set, bard songed, you name it, FBIII or Kensai III melees.  No melee tank can hold aggro and shield block as effectively.  Intim tanking is flawed.  The melee can't deal DPS when blocking.  How many melee can get a mid 20's DR while in attack mode?  Add the ability to constantly re-stoneskin.  Caster Tanking DR > Melee Tanking DR.

Healing.  WF casters, PM's, FvS, Cleric can all be self healing tanks with quicken.  No melee can self help beyond removing their own curses or the occasional LoH. 

Sure, the casters should be able to out-DPS the melees at cap.  No doubt about it.  But they should not be able to be nearly equal on HP, better or equal on AC, better on DR, and self-heal.  All while beating the melees on DPS.

That's just boring. 

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #17 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 9:43am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Jul 11th, 2011 at 9:26am:
That's just boring. 

Amen.  If there is clearly a "best" option (in this case casters), the variety in the game fades, and the game becomes boring.  I don't enjoy boring games, do you?

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 10:57am
Print Post  
Had a Lawful Evil moment.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2011 at 10:58am by »  

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #19 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 11:24am
Print Post  
DoTs are ludicrously overpowered and need to be adjusted.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #20 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jul 11th, 2011 at 11:24am:
DoTs are well balanced against the hp of the monsters they are meant to be used on and need to be expanded.

FTFY.

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #21 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 12:09pm
Print Post  

I like how you avoided the word nerf.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #22 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 12:14pm
Print Post  

/signed.  DoTs kill me in PvP sometimes and that makes me cry.

fnord

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #23 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Jul 11th, 2011 at 12:09pm:
I like how you avoided the word nerf.

The whole spell pass needs adjustment it was poorly planned.  I have a TR'd 20 caster and I say nerf DoTs  they are totally fucking up most boss fights.  They have no save and no spell pen check.  That's foolish in the same patch that added a spell pen check to Mass Hold.
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2011 at 12:35pm by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Flint
Stormreaver Piker

I'm a Halfling on the
EDGE!

Reply #24 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 2:29pm
Print Post  

But without them people couldn't build a Shroud group with 1 healer and 3 arcanes, have the melees get hit with blades in part 4 and call it good DPS.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint