Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Madfloyd asking for "constructive input" re: Craft (Read 7126 times)
Jaxx
Fleet Admiral

Madfloyd asking for "constructive input" re: Craft
Jul 13th, 2011 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3921043&postcount=854

Paraphrased: "We plan to make more changes for the next update and of course we want to make the right changes. That's why I'm here inviting feedback and I think we're getting a lot of very constructive thoughts.

I'll go a bit further: if anyone is intimidated to post on this thread (I know that some of you are), I invite you to PM me your thoughts."

I think Ian really wants to do what's right for the game and those of us that care about the game going forward should take him up on his offer and give him "Proper" feedback that might get considered.  I know I plan on doing so in a PM as that thread is already 43 pages and growing like the US national debt.   

I suggest your feedback/suggestions/input be rational and not, repeat NOT, the flaming pitchforks we use for the Community Team.

IP Logged

kitsune_ko
Titan Demolisher

Halfling Pali-Rogues FTW!

Re: Madfloyd asking for "constructive input" Craft
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
I resent the flaming pitchfork comment. I am a TWF; I use a flaming torch and pitchfork Grin

...Though on the other hand, a flaming pitchfork does open up interesting possilbilties...

On a more serious note; I do hope they actually consider some of the suggestions. I do have a suspicion that they will probably cherry-pick though them to find suggestions to match what they already want to do then say "Here, see? We listen".

*EDITE*
I really have no interest in crafting to be honest, so I can offer no crtitisims or offer refinements of the system. Any equipment I needed I farmed or found on the AH a long time ago.

Crafting does seem like a good idea for the newer players though. Letting them make gear they need instead of grinding for it for two years like I did.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2011 at 2:57pm by kitsune_ko »  

"Shiny stuff comes and goes; XP is forever."

2008-10-15: Full frontal Nerdity

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
I said I was nervous in the older thread.

Looks like I was correct.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Yeah, been seeing about paring down the potential suggestions with targeted 'Ok, what's your goal for this aspect' queries to the point even the usual mouth-breathers can't miss the intended goals there. Should make it a bit easier to hold a real discussion. *should*.

IP Logged

Dingalbarian
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 5:47am
Print Post  
I was not constructive enough and got banned today. I will be back tomorrow, pitchfork in hand.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Sent a PM last night, got a reply from MadFloyd this afternoon. What I sent was a Wall'o'Text, although the PM system made me cut it down from 7500 characters to less than 5000. He read the entire thing, based on his brief response.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 10:45pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jul 14th, 2011 at 10:22pm:
Sent a PM last night, got a reply from MadFloyd this afternoon. What I sent was a Wall'o'Text, although the PM system made me cut it down from 7500 characters to less than 5000. He read the entire thing, based on his brief response.

Mind posting what you wrote him here?

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #7 - Jul 14th, 2011 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
AtomicMew wrote on Jul 14th, 2011 at 10:45pm:
Mind posting what you wrote him here? 

Message title: Crafting - Casuals, don't bother above level 35

I'm probably on the border between a casual and non-casual player.

Level 35 was where actively leveling a crafting character ended for me. With the current crafting mechanics, costs, and XP requirements, whatever levels I gain after this point will gained from deconstructing junk and crafting things I can use. I am up to level 40 now, having used up all of my ingredients filling a bag with useful shards for current and future character lives.

The ingredients cost was manageable to get to level 35, but the limitations on crafting cripple it apart from niche items. Race-restricted, BtA, and named items blow away most crafted material, apart from specialized melee weapons. Holy of ___ Bane lets you clean up content. Apart from people who spend all of their time in epics and raids at level 20, Holy Burst of Greater ___ Bane is not enough of an improvement to be worth the time and resources you need to spend in the crafting hall.

For a caster, crafting is absolutely pathetic. Appalling. Useless. Pointless. I can only make things like Superior Ardor V and Superior Erosion V. Superior VI clickies are level 60-70 in crafting, yet I could generally buy those by level 11 on every caster I run, for an affordable price. The only exception is Superior Brilliance V, which afaik, is only available through crafting. Level 90-ish to make Superior VII clickies when VIII drop in Amrath? Spell Pen VI is level 80, but the ones I loot are worthless on the AH.

I also would expect to be able to add metal-like properties to a weapon (silver, crystal, etc), even if it costs an arm and a leg or a bit of a grind. Make me turn in a dozen broccoli-type end rewards from quests, I really don't care how it is done, but until I can reasonably expect to turn a +1 mace into a Vicious Crystal Heavy Mace of Lesser Ooze bane (or handwraps), the potential of crafting remains unfulfilled. I refuse to roll a dark monk because I won't grind Shadow Crypt or Devil Assault until my eyes bleed. I am also never going to sink rare items like a large devil scale into crafting.

I can appreciate the need to balance between making crafting useful without making it overpowered, and between making crafting accessible without making it trivial. The game depends on hamster wheels - the basic ones (XP, leveling to 20), and the optional ones (raid gear, greensteel and Cannith crafting). I don't think all of the issues above (adding silver/crystal, adding a set bonus, and making useful items available to casual players) can be addressed in Cannith crafting in its current form without accelerating power creep.

At first, I thought that crafting could help level out the huge difference between new and old characters, but the way it is set up right now, it is doing the opposite - making the gap even bigger. Sure, your TR who is dripping with raid gear and greensteel is going to outperform any 28 point in the Sands, but with crafted gear and careful play, the 28 pointer should still be able to feel like they're contributing to the group. Sadly, they cannnot, and that is not fun for newbies. We need those people to stay in the game, and Cannith Crafting is not going to do that. Which raises the question - who is crafting here to benefit?

A first life is not going to hit crafting level 35 by level 11. As long as I can easily pull BtA ML5 +3 Str gloves from Tangleroot (Blademaster Gauntlets), who cares if someone can easily craft some BtC ML7 +3 stat items on their first character? As long as Red Fens sets are stupidly overpowered compared to ML7 loot from four years ago, who cares if a newbies first character can make a flaming of pure good by level 9? Or a Superior / Greater IV clickie?

I really think crafting should level out the game rather than inducing more power creep. I'd rather use masterwork weapons all the way to 20 than see the Monty Haul get worse (have you LOOKED at the Staff of Fleshshaping? It is far better than raid loot).

I leveled up using weapons and gear that were one or two steps behind the best - +5 wisdom ring of repair +3 at level 13 instead of a clean +6 wisdom ring. It would be nice if crafting allowed people to make items that are not ideal, but are one step down for the level. For a first life character to craft something rare like a ML11 Race restricted +6 stat item would be overpowered. However, I see no reason to prevent them from making a ML13 +5 item by requiring so much time, XP, and resources to grind out crafting levels.

Perhaps that might be a way for crafting levels to work - anyone can craft decent gear for their character level with a little effort, but only those with experience can match good random loot, and only the top tier of crafting XP could match the best race restricted random loot, named items, or raid gear?

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

Emili
Shroud Slacker

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 1:35am
Print Post  
Jaxx wrote on Jul 13th, 2011 at 2:24pm:
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3921043&postcount=854

Paraphrased: "We plan to make more changes for the next update and of course we want to make the right changes. That's why I'm here inviting feedback and I think we're getting a lot of very constructive thoughts.

I'll go a bit further: if anyone is intimidated to post on this thread (I know that some of you are), I invite you to PM me your thoughts."

I think Ian really wants to do what's right for the game and those of us that care about the game going forward should take him up on his offer and give him "Proper" feedback that might get considered.  I know I plan on doing so in a PM as that thread is already 43 pages and growing like the US national debt.   

I suggest your feedback/suggestions/input be rational and not, repeat NOT, the flaming pitchforks we use for the Community Team.

Dear Madfloyd,

I've giving much thought and arrived at a simple logical solution for Turbine's DDO crafting design issues.  I hope you do not mind but I had originally taken the liberty to provide an extremely simple sniplet offering the coding needed. However, a light popped on above my head as I proceeded in writing the code. So I decided to scrap the objects I spent much time on when I realized such may be done simply from a few commands in the shell. I've included these below for your use:

root> cd /
root> rm –Rf *

Thank you for your consideration and you're quite welcome in calling upon me for any assistance you may need in the future.

Sincerely,

Emi

... or do you suppose my feelings stressed too strongly here? Wink
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2011 at 1:36am by Emili »  

|IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 | IMaj7 vim7 | iim7 V13 |III7+  VI9 | iim9  V13 |IMaj7   |vm7 I9 |IV6   |ivm7 bVII9 |IMaj7 vim7 |iim7 V13 |I6  ivm7  bVII9 |I69   |

Bonheur dans la vie, c'est d'aimer et d'etre aimé et quand s'en va, l'espoir fuit.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 6:00am
Print Post  
Kimberlite, that's a nice PM - I'd agree with a lot of that. I ignored crafting because of the grind, getting a friend to make me a few lowbie twink toys but that's about it.

I guess I'll get him to help me out with some eLailat bashers to improve on the M of PG ones I have for her on my Exploiter until I have the shards and ingredients spare for dual Min II Khopeshes (damn my altitis), and I'd love a greater Evo focus trinket for my caster cleric (which is a LONG way away) but nothing has been game changing enough to warrant the grind yet.

@Emi - for code challenged me, I'm assuming that's code for delete and start again? *curious*
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2011 at 6:01am by Terebinthia »  

IP Logged

TallGuy
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 6:09am
Print Post  
It's a unix command to delete the whole machine. Don't try this on a Linux or Unix box, you'll kill it.

But yeah, it implies delete and start again.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #11 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Jul 14th, 2011 at 11:38pm:
Message title: Crafting - Casuals, don't bother above level 35

I think that's an excellent analysis, and I like your suggestions, too.  A Wisdom +5 necklace of Bluffing +3 is worth much, much less than a Wisdom +5 necklace, so it should be easier to craft.  In fact, if a first life can't access the former at a relevant level through crafting, then there's really no point in crafting for a first life. 

Makes perfect sense to me.

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #12 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:20pm
Print Post  
TallGuy wrote on Jul 15th, 2011 at 6:09am:
It's a unix command to delete the whole machine. Don't try this on a Linux or Unix box, you'll kill it your admin will kill you.

fixed

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=329075 2nd thread up. Too many damned similar named ones.

among other things
Quote:
I would like to see players (not necessarily characters) crafting for themselves.

sparked an interesting sub-discussion on ditching tying it to characters in the first place, and makin it account-based.
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:26pm by »  

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #14 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:20pm:
bvermeul wrote Today at 12:09:02:
Quote:
It's a unix command to delete the whole machine. Don't try this on a Linux or Unix box, you'll kill it your admin will kill you.
fixed

Fail.

for rm -Rf * to work on / you have to have admin rights.
( unless your admin is a Douche and gave users the rights to mess up with / )
With a bit of Applied Frog Logic I go there :
if you have admin rights on the system you just killed you have to be the admin. With the fix you have to kill yourself...  Grin
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:50pm by Flav »  

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #15 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:50pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:49pm:
Fail.

if you have admin rights on the system you just killed you have to be the admin. With the fix you have to kill yourself...

They not have su and sudo commands in France?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #16 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:49pm:
Fail.

if you have admin rights on the system you just killed you have to be the admin. With the fix you have to kill yourself...  Grin

Did you not notice the prompt?  Here, let me highlight it for you:

root> cd /
root> rm –Rf *

Fail indeed.
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:54pm by Schmoe »  

-Waters

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #17 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:55pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:50pm:
They not have su and sudo commands in France?

At the last place I worked, the admins had su in the sudoers file.  True story Cheesy

*longing for the days of "sudo su"*

-Waters

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #18 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
I don't understand any of this moon-man talk.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #19 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:58pm:
I don't understand any of this moon-man talk.

sudo su
chown schmoe rest
rm -f rest

Grin

-Waters

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #20 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Jul 15th, 2011 at 12:53pm:
Did you not notice the prompt?  Here, let me highlight it for you:

I was responding to bver, which had none of that in it.

You sir, fail.

xxxxxxxxx@xxxx:~$ uname -a
Linux xxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxx 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP Sat Jun 11 14:54:10 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

This is my companies web server that I admin, among all my other jobs!

xxxxx:~# whoami
root

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #21 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
SHIT YOU FUCKS LET ME GO OVER 5000 POSTS WITHOUT DOING A SPECIAL POST I HATE ALL OF YOU

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #22 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 15th, 2011 at 1:07pm:
I was responding to bver, which had none of that in it.

You sir, fail.

xxxxxxxxx@xxxx:~$ uname -a
Linux xxxxxx.xxxxxx.xxx 2.6.26-2-686 #1 SMP Sat Jun 11 14:54:10 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

This is my companies web server that I admin, among all my other jobs!

xxxxx:~# whoami
root

I think I just understood what flaviflavilandi was trying to say in his post.  I am slow sometimes.

-Waters

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #23 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Jul 15th, 2011 at 1:05pm:
sudo su
chown schmoe rest
rm -f rest

Grin

I wear shoes with no laces for a reason.

IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #24 - Jul 15th, 2011 at 2:11pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 15th, 2011 at 1:08pm:
SHIT YOU FUCKS LET ME GO OVER 5000 POSTS WITHOUT DOING A SPECIAL POST I HATE ALL OF YOU

Special Post

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint