Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) dual boxing (Read 15861 times)
stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

dual boxing
Jul 27th, 2011 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
Can someone point me to a good dual boxing howto?

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Re: dual boxing
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
I thought I was just reading a thread about this.

Edit: Oh wait!  I found it!  http://www.ddovault.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1311810848

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 8:02pm
Print Post  

Dual boxing in DDO is more or less like having a hireling with more control, more treasure, and less teleporting.  Park your support character at the entrance, buff, go to town with primary character, come back for support (or move support ahead every now and then).

Bards work great for this, as they have lots of nice buffs.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 8:02pm:
Dual boxing in DDO is more or less like having a hireling with more control, more treasure, and less teleporting.  Park your support character at the entrance, buff, go to town with primary character, come back for support (or move support ahead every now and then).

Bards work great for this, as they have lots of nice buffs.

I just spent some money on a point card and started my second account. I actually am running up a bard. Tongue

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

ScaredyCat
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Tips

1. Never epic your 2nd account if you will end up with shards and seals on it that you want on your primary account
2. The 1 rog/n wiz is invaluable. Long term park one at say levels 5 8 12 17
3. Clerics on your second account will get you into groups on your main eg Von 5 farming. Park a few of those.
4. Dual boxing raids is fun. I generally let people know though and check cos sometimes people get annoyed ( although why when it's the shroud and I do everything I'm meant to do I don't know)
5. Don't make the mistake of putting stuff on your 2nd account chars that you'll regret not having on your primary account char (  eg 7 finger gloves Sad I have on an AA to be rather than my sorc)

IP Logged

ScaredyCat
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Oh and that bard? It goes without saying that it's a hagglebot

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 8:27pm
Print Post  

Don't forget to loot the raid chest before your guildies leave.  Sooooo many times in the Abbot that I forgot about Qwijy and he ended up getting loot that a guildie wanted.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Flag a character or two in that second account for Shadow Crypt and all the other Necro end quests that you don't feel like flagging for.

Run a character in the second account through Delera's part 1 and stop there.

THF is better than TWF when you want to be a cheapskate.

If you chug an XP pot on a character on either account, you can step into a quest on characters on both accounts, log off from the XP pot running character and then sign back in with that character when you're about to get the completion.  You won't get "you entered late" penalties because you both entered at the same time and you only used about 2 minutes of the XP pot.  Probably not worth doing this if you are running a quest where you really want the end chest and it's a long run (Rainbow in the Dark, Coal Chamber, Misery's Peak, etc).

fnord

IP Logged

ScaredyCat
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
The necropolis is a good place to park toons as you probably know if your also going to use them as mules. Although these days the crafting hall too I guess.

I've started using my hagglebot to crunch essences too while waiting for stuff to happen on my primary

Having something solid on the second account (a capped FvS) I've found useful for soloing stuff so I don't have to run it on my main ( eg Coal and prepping elite dq)

IP Logged

Gol
Korthos Resident

Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
If you're content on running multiple computers when dual boxing, ignore the rest of this post.  I'm addressing the "dual boxing on one computer" issue of the launcher preventing it.

One of the best things you can do for dual boxing is to write your own launcher app.  If you can get a port 80 sniffer (I use Fiddler) you'll see the HTTP and SOAP calls the launcher is making to perform the various parts of logging you in.  You'll also have to make it trust the sniffer's https certificates in order for the launcher to work while it's running.  For somebody with .NET services experience and the right software tools (all free), this can easily be done in a single day.

The only reason the launcher prevents multiple client launches is to protect your data files from getting trashed by 2 launchers attempting to update them at once.  If you write your own launcher and just skip the patching checks, the game server will boot your client with a "wrong version" message.  Just fire up the real launcher to patch and you're golden.

Once you get your own launcher running, you can start additional game clients on 1 computer any time you wish.  No fancy batch files, no simultaneous startup requirements, etc.  Provided you trust yourself, you can even make a command line version that auto-logs you in from a desktop shortcut and just launches the game directly.

Not that any of this is supported or endorsed, but it's theoretically possible... Cool

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #10 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 9:33pm
Print Post  

Launch one, then launch the other.  Once the launcher is up in the sys tray, you can log out/in from one/both as frequently as you'd like.

One interesting aspect of "dual boxing on one computer" is when you split the windows horizontally.  DDO adapts the resolution to your window size.  On my computer, that ends up being a window size of 2560x800.  The net result of this is that your field of view expands immensely, to the point that you have somewhere around a 300 degree field of vision.  For example, when I do this, I can see the entire Abbot platform from just about anywhere on the platform.  Uber peripheral vision.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #11 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Gol wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 9:16pm:
If you're content on running multiple computers when dual boxing, ignore the rest of this post.  I'm addressing the "dual boxing on one computer" issue of the launcher preventing it.

One of the best things you can do for dual boxing is to write your own launcher app.  If you can get a port 80 sniffer (I use Fiddler) you'll see the HTTP and SOAP calls the launcher is making to perform the various parts of logging you in.  You'll also have to make it trust the sniffer's https certificates in order for the launcher to work while it's running.  For somebody with .NET services experience and the right software tools (all free), this can easily be done in a single day.

The only reason the launcher prevents multiple client launches is to protect your data files from getting trashed by 2 launchers attempting to update them at once.  If you write your own launcher and just skip the patching checks, the game server will boot your client with a "wrong version" message.  Just fire up the real launcher to patch and you're golden.

Once you get your own launcher running, you can start additional game clients on 1 computer any time you wish.  No fancy batch files, no simultaneous startup requirements, etc.  Provided you trust yourself, you can even make a command line version that auto-logs you in from a desktop shortcut and just launches the game directly.

Not that any of this is supported or endorsed, but it's theoretically possible... Cool

I wanted to do it on one machine, but I was a little lost. My wife tries to get me to use SOAP.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

apep
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 9:38pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 9:34pm:
My wife tries to get me to use SOAP.

Is this where 'dirty uncle stainer' comes from?

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #13 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 9:34pm:
I wanted to do it on one machine, but I was a little lost. My wife tries to get me to use SOAP.

People seem to want to make it waaaay more complicated than it needs to be.

1) Copy the entire DDO folder found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\Dungeons & Dragons Online - Stormreach\

2) Paste it somewhere else.  Like, say, C:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\DDOCopyTwo\

3) Create a shortcut to the launcher in the copied folder

4) To launch, start with no DDO launchers running

5) Launch DDO instance 1 (double-click your original DDO shortcut)

6) Within 15 or so seconds, launch DDO instance 2 (double-click your new DDO shortcut)

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Semper
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 10:30pm:

1) Copy the entire DDO folder found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\Dungeons & Dragons Online - Stormreach\

2) Paste it somewhere else.  Like, say, C:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\DDOCopyTwo\

6) Within 15 or so seconds, launch DDO instance 2 (double-click your new DDO shortcut)

this is exactly how i do it and if you make the launchers stay in your system tray you can bring them up anytime you want

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #15 - Jul 27th, 2011 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 9:33pm:
One interesting aspect of "dual boxing on one computer" is when you split the windows horizontally.  DDO adapts the resolution to your window size.  On my computer, that ends up being a window size of 2560x800.  The net result of this is that your field of view expands immensely, to the point that you have somewhere around a 300 degree field of vision.  For example, when I do this, I can see the entire Abbot platform from just about anywhere on the platform.  Uber peripheral vision.

...I got to try that. Not sure if it would be worth it on my smaller monitor but i so got to try it.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

blackwolfe
Waterworks Kobold

I like pie!!

Reply #16 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 2:19am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 10:30pm:

You sir are a steely-eyed missle man Smiley

Thank you for making it so simple that even I can understand how to do it

Blackwolfe / Blaack / Blaacker / Blaacksong / Blaackfoot / Blaackfeet / Blackjaack / Blaacklisted / RifffRafff

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #17 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 5:47am
Print Post  
Ooh, stepping late for this one, but yes, strake is right.  It is the best way - why people who know how to use SOAP or fiddler didn't think of it, I will never know.

Copy/paste rules all, when will people figure this out?

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hordo
High Rabbi

Le Douchebag

Reply #18 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 8:39am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 9:33pm:
Launch one, then launch the other.  Once the launcher is up in the sys tray, you can log out/in from one/both as frequently as you'd like.

I frequently dual box on one machine, sometimes triple even, but I have no clue how to "split the screen horizontally" or split it in any way...'splain plz!  Wink

I am the Rabbi, goo goo g'Jew!
Who doesn't <3 Gornn?
GORNN II 4:3:17 - For Gornn sent not Hordo into the world to save the party; but that the party through him might be wiped.
[QUOTE=404error;4155294]Hordo I don't want to steal you from these forums because your almost an icon here. ;p [/quote]
IP Logged

Gol
Korthos Resident

Reply #19 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 5:47am:
Ooh, stepping late for this one, but yes, strake is right.  It is the best way - why people who know how to use SOAP or fiddler didn't think of it, I will never know.

Copy/paste rules all, when will people figure this out?

Eh, I triple-box sometimes, but only need 1 copy of the game.  OS/HDD can cache better (faster load times) and patching is faster since it only has to be done once.  The 2-launcher way works great, I'm not dissing it - certainly easier for most.  I'm sure somebody would be interested in writing their own launcher.  Some guys wrote one for LOTRO on Linux (in a Windows emulator).

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #20 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Gol wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 9:58am:
Eh, I triple-box sometimes, but only need 1 copy of the game.  OS/HDD can cache better (faster load times) and patching is faster since it only has to be done once.  The 2-launcher way works great, I'm not dissing it - certainly easier for most.  I'm sure somebody would be interested in writing their own launcher.  Some guys wrote one for LOTRO on Linux (in a Windows emulator).

You are forgetting that most of us have to use velcro straps on our shoes. Writing our launcher may be outside our reach. Smiley

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Bahgoon
Stormreaver Piker

Get off my lawn!

Reply #21 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 10:34am
Print Post  
I did it without much fuss.

Installed  DDO. Copied entire directory contents to a second directory.

Made shortcuts to desktop from both directories. You obviously have to have different names so I renamed them something simple like DDO and DDO1.

Made a batch file on the desktop that first calls the DDO shortcut and then the DDO1 shortcut. Shortcuts have a .lnk extension I believe. I also included @echo off as a flashback to MS-DOS 3.3 days.  Wink

And that was about it. About 1 time in a 100 I get an error launching the second instance, but a quick shut down and restart usually works.

I used to let each directory do its own update but got to a point where everytime I would log into the second instance of DDO I would have to go through 'read and agree with the terms of use' page. A minor annoyance, but I solved it by just updating one instance and then redoing the copy and paste bit to the second directory.

If the second game account is strictly F2P, you may find the AFK timeout annoying. Having both accounts premium helps a bunch.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2011 at 10:37am by Bahgoon »  

The various modes of worship which prevailed in the Roman world were all considered by the people as equally true; by the philosopher as equally false; and by the magistrate as equally useful.   - Edward Gibbon

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #22 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 10:42am
Print Post  
Bahgoon wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 10:34am:
you may find the AFK timeout annoying.

1. go to log out window.

2. click log out

3. let it sit at the log out yes/no window forever

4. ???

5. profit.
« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2011 at 10:43am by JC »  

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

kum-gulp
VoD Slasher

I Love Tired Vault Memes!

Reply #23 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 10:42am:
1. go to log out window.

2. click log out

3. let it sit at the log out yes/no window forever

4. ???

5. profit.

Well I never! Thanks.

IP Logged

Hordo
High Rabbi

Le Douchebag

Reply #24 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
Gol wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 9:58am:

I'd love to learn a way to do a dual/triple box with one install...can you post here or PM me the details?

I am the Rabbi, goo goo g'Jew!
Who doesn't <3 Gornn?
GORNN II 4:3:17 - For Gornn sent not Hordo into the world to save the party; but that the party through him might be wiped.
[QUOTE=404error;4155294]Hordo I don't want to steal you from these forums because your almost an icon here. ;p [/quote]
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint