Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) dual boxing (Read 15889 times)
Hordo
High Rabbi

Le Douchebag

Re: dual boxing
Reply #25 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
Bahgoon wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 10:34am:
I did it without much fuss.

Installed  DDO. Copied entire directory contents to a second directory.

Made shortcuts to desktop from both directories. You obviously have to have different names so I renamed them something simple like DDO and DDO1.

Made a batch file on the desktop that first calls the DDO shortcut and then the DDO1 shortcut. Shortcuts have a .lnk extension I believe. I also included @echo off as a flashback to MS-DOS 3.3 days.  Wink

And that was about it. About 1 time in a 100 I get an error launching the second instance, but a quick shut down and restart usually works.

I used to let each directory do its own update but got to a point where everytime I would log into the second instance of DDO I would have to go through 'read and agree with the terms of use' page. A minor annoyance, but I solved it by just updating one instance and then redoing the copy and paste bit to the second directory.

If the second game account is strictly F2P, you may find the AFK timeout annoying. Having both accounts premium helps a bunch.

I so forgot about the batch file way lol...I used to have one but someone else wrote it for me, is there a standard script that I can fill in the blanks somewhere?

I am the Rabbi, goo goo g'Jew!
Who doesn't <3 Gornn?
GORNN II 4:3:17 - For Gornn sent not Hordo into the world to save the party; but that the party through him might be wiped.
[QUOTE=404error;4155294]Hordo I don't want to steal you from these forums because your almost an icon here. ;p [/quote]
IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #26 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 10:18am:
You are forgetting that most of us have to use velcro straps on our shoes. Writing our launcher may be outside our reach. Smiley

I wrote my own launcher once.  Some PVC, some hairspray and the quartz ignition from an old gas grill.

A good time was had by all.  That potato went about 200 yards.

fnord

IP Logged

Flint
Stormreaver Piker

I'm a Halfling on the
EDGE!

Reply #27 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Hordo check the guild site I just saw a post there about how to do it. I did it recently on my desktop and it works like a charm running 3 instances.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #28 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Hey Gol. You are way over my head, but is the launcher thingy something that has to be done for each computer, or is it transferable? I think hosting could be arranged for that file.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Phreshphrute
HJASTE YOURSELF

Reply #29 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:07pm
Print Post  
Just follow Strakeln's suggestion. I dual box all the time and it is easy enough to do. One of those fancy SSDs you suggested really improves the loading speeds etc (btw TY for that suggestion).

Ignore the suggestions about epicing your toons. I dual box epics on my toons and it is a worthwhile endeavor. Twice the loot and you can slide to yourslef/guildies and double roll if you do not make your toons named something similar i.e. Stainer and Stainersbitch.

Auto run/attack is your friend.

Flag on your main acct not your 2nd for shit like deleras, SC, CC, BC etc.

Twice the shroud ingreds is nice (and pies).

Cap your 2nd acct toons for the reasons above. Leveling is easy enough to do.

Dual boxing will help you really expedite your loot generation.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #30 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Phreshphrute wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:07pm:
Just follow Strakeln's suggestion. I dual box all the time and it is easy enough to do. One of those fancy SSDs you suggested really improves the loading speeds etc (btw TY for that suggestion).

Ignore the suggestions about epicing your toons. I dual box epics on my toons and it is a worthwhile endeavor. Twice the loot and you can slide to yourslef/guildies and double roll if you do not make your toons named something similar i.e. Stainer and Stainersbitch.

Auto run/attack is your friend.

Flag on your main acct not your 2nd for shit like deleras, SC, CC, BC etc.

Twice the shroud ingreds is nice (and pies).

Cap your 2nd acct toons for the reasons above. Leveling is easy enough to do.

Dual boxing will help you really expedite your loot generation.

I am going to try it Saturday. I have a premium account with 1600 points on it. I will probably buy Tangleroot and Delera's. If I am able to do it well enough, I will get another 1600 pts and have enough, or close to enough, for Sands, GH and Vale.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
I used to do this in World of Warcraft.  For me it made playing less enjoyable in the long run.

Now that's trying to actively play both toons.  I highly recommend having an account for mule/opening/extra loot while piking purposes.  Definitely nothing wrong with that. Smiley

IP Logged

Hordo
High Rabbi

Le Douchebag

Reply #32 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Flint wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 3:28pm:
Hordo check the guild site I just saw a post there about how to do it. I did it recently on my desktop and it works like a charm running 3 instances.

I'm too stupid to understand it... Cry

Who doesn't <3 Gornn?
GORNN II 4:3:17 - For Gornn sent not Hordo into the world to save the party; but that the party through him might be wiped.
[QUOTE=404error;4155294]Hordo I don't want to steal you from these forums because your almost an icon here. ;p [/quote]
IP Logged

Bahgoon
Stormreaver Piker

Get off my lawn!

Reply #33 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Hordo wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 3:25pm:
I so forgot about the batch file way lol...I used to have one but someone else wrote it for me, is there a standard script that I can fill in the blanks somewhere?

The following assumes I have two copies of DDO in separate directories and have made shortcuts on my desktop to the the TurbineLauncher.exe file in both of them. One shortcut is renamed to DDO and the other is renamed to DDO_01. This is for WIN7 but Win XP should be the same as far as I know.

Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Notepad  (This opens a new notepad text file)

In the Notepad window:

File -> Save as (this opens the save menu)

Select Desktop as the save area.
Change the 'save as type' drop down to 'All Files (*.*)
In the file name block type DDO.bat
Click the save button
(this creates the DDO batch file on your dersktop)

Copy the following as written into your text window:

@echo off
DDO.lnk
DDO_01.lnk
exit

File -> Save

and you are done. If you want to do more than two instances you would just add the new shortcut name in its own line. For example, I had four instances running using the following batch:

@echo off
DDO.lnk
DDO_01.lnk
DDO_02.lnk
DDO_03.lnk
exit

Easy as pie.

P.S. The programmer in me hates the fact I didn't name DDO.lnk DDO_00.lnk. The real person inside of me doesn't give a fuck. Cheesy

The various modes of worship which prevailed in the Roman world were all considered by the people as equally true; by the philosopher as equally false; and by the magistrate as equally useful.   - Edward Gibbon

IP Logged

Gol
Korthos Resident

Reply #34 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 9:02pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 3:33pm:
Hey Gol. You are way over my head, but is the launcher thingy something that has to be done for each computer, or is it transferable? I think hosting could be arranged for that file.

It'd have to be a standalone application with installer like any other programs you download.  I'm sure there are enough C# geeks out there to pull it off.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #35 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 4:23pm:
I am going to try it Saturday. I have a premium account with 1600 points on it. I will probably buy Tangleroot and Delera's. If I am able to do it well enough, I will get another 1600 pts and have enough, or close to enough, for Sands, GH and Vale.

Can I come and throw disco balls till your TSR80 meltsdown?

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Mister_Peace
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #36 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 10:23pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Jul 27th, 2011 at 8:27pm:
Qwijy

!

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #37 - Jul 28th, 2011 at 11:21pm
Print Post  
Hordo wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 8:39am:
I frequently dual box on one machine, sometimes triple even, but I have no clue how to "split the screen horizontally" or split it in any way...'splain plz!  Wink

Go into windowed mode and drag the top of the window down, or drag the bottom of the window up  Smiley

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #38 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 9:07pm:
Can I come and throw disco balls till your TSR80 meltsdown?

I can make it look like you choned yourself. No one will know what happened.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Backley
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Hordo wrote on Jul 28th, 2011 at 3:24pm:
I'd love to learn a way to do a dual/triple box with one install...can you post here or PM me the details?

I use an SSD, and a simple http://www.AutoHotkey.com script to rename the DDO Client window so that the launcher won't see it is already running.

1. Install Autohotkey (free open source scripting system)
2. Open notepad and paste this:
Code
Select All
Loop
 {
WinWait, Dungeons and Dragons Online ahk_class Turbine Device Class
WinGet, ProcessID, PID
hProcess := DllCall( "OpenProcess", "UInt", 0x10|0x400, "Int", False, "UInt", ProcessID)
VarSetCapacity(ModuleFileName, 260, 0)
CallResult := DllCall("Psapi.dll\GetModuleFileNameExA", "UInt", hProcess, "UInt", 0, "Str", ModuleFileName, "UInt", 260)
DllCall("CloseHandle", hProcess)
WinSetTitle, DDO Client - %ModuleFileName%
 } 

3. Save that as "DDO rename client.ahk" and run it. It appears as a green A in the System Tray so you can tell it is running. It watches for any window titled "Dungeons and Dragons Online" with window class of "Turbine Device Class" and renames it to something like "DDO Client - C:\Program Files (x86)\Turbine\DDO Unlimited\dndclient.exe"

I also have several copies of the game folder, but I think this script is all I really need now.

Putting the folder path in the name was so that I can tell which copy is which.

If that doesn't work by itself, you can also make "copies" of the folder that don't take extra room on your precious SSD: Use http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html and make a Windows 7 Symbolic Link copy of the game folder.

Again, this last step isn't even needed I think. Regardless if you make Symbolic Link copies or not, always launch one launcher first, let it fully update the game, then you can launch a 2nd copy.

IP Logged

Hordo
High Rabbi

Le Douchebag

Reply #40 - Jul 29th, 2011 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
Gonna try this this weekend...cross your fingers folks!

Who doesn't <3 Gornn?
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint