Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Artificer Powers (Read 12940 times)
Mister_Peace
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Artificer Powers
Aug 4th, 2011 at 5:48am
Print Post  
Artificer
So, Inky has let us know the Artificer class will be released soon. We don't know yet what stuff it will have, but I think we can discuss what stuff it SHOULD have. 

First, what it gets in 3.5 (if my googles are correct)
d6 hit die, 4 skill points per level, and Int is a primary stat
3/4 BAB, good Will save, poor Fort and Ref
medium armor, normal shields, simple weapons
infusions - basically a small amount of spells on the Warmage model
Item Creation - they get all the item creation feats for free, and some extra perks to let them avoid spending exp when creating magic items
Bonus Feats in addition to those, one every 4th level (probably metamagic)
Item usage - they have a bonus to UMD, and can spend extra charges from wands and staffs to apply metamagic feats to them
Craft Homonculus
Trap Searching and Disabling
Seems like a lot, right? Artificer is one of the five classes most preferred by munchkins and powergamers. 

IP Logged

Mister_Peace
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Re: Artificer Powers
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 5:51am
Print Post  
Now, how should this be translated to DDO?
I'm thinking they'll get some bonuses to Cannith Crafting, but the main making or breaking be in the infusions, and the applying metamagic feats to wands and clickies.

IP Logged

Mister_Peace
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 6:10am
Print Post  
Artificer infusions top out at 6th level.
6: Blade Barrier, Globe of Invulnerability, Reconstruct, Deconstruct
They get the Repair line, the Bull's Strength group, and an Inflict line that only works on constructs.
Many of the other infusions simply apply temporary enchantments to a weapon. We know this can be done using Master's Touch code.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 9:12am
Print Post  
All I am understanding is, WF artificer.  WIN.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Obviously item creation feats in the hand of Turbine dev's = fail (see: Cannith Crafting).  They'd have Artificers sacrificing actual halflings to make Chattering Rings.  Actually, bad example...that would be worth it.

I've got a crazy one for artificers.
1) Give them wand/scroll line that makes bards look gimp.
2) Allow the artificer to apply their own spell level (at additional charge cost for that part) and DC to wands.
3) Make all wands eternal when in the hands of an artificer and give them a chance to reuse scrolls.  The eternal thing would work very well along with the mentioned ability to allow them to apply metamagics to wand usage at the cost of extra charges.

These abilities would be used to fake the artificer creating magical items.  They're a powerful set of abilities on their own.  Running around casting heightened phantasmal killers from an eternal wand with a respectable DC (but having to tote several around since it's taking a bunch of charges every cast) and then flipping to maximized/empowered at-level fireballs.

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Please, no bonuses to Cannith crafting, or any other crafting.  Keep crafting abilities and questing abilities completely separate, and not interfering with each other.  Crafting bots would be lame.

There's plenty for the Artificer to do besides craft things outside quests.

IP Logged

gambler
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 10:31am
Print Post  
If the devs do it right for once they will have bonuses to Cannith crafting, or any other crafting.

IP Logged

TWDiggs
Mr. Infraction

Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Mister_Peace wrote on Aug 4th, 2011 at 5:48am:
Artificer is one of the five classes most preferred by munchkins and powergamers. 

Mine was always Sorcs.

stainer wrote on Oct 5th, 2011 at 1:29pm:
Everyday that you aren't banned, is a borrowed day.

Grace wrote on Dec 2nd, 2012 at 8:31pm:
Well, you're a godless heathen, anyway. I would totally wear my rape whistle around you.
YIM  
IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 10:48am
Print Post  
gambler wrote on Aug 4th, 2011 at 10:31am:
If the devs do it right for once they will have bonuses to Cannith crafting, or any other crafting.

That would piss me off to no end.  I want to actually PLAY my Figher who is my main crafter.  I don't want to TR him into an Artificer craft-bot.

fnord

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 11:07am
Print Post  
If the bonus was minor I would have no problem with it as it fits with the class, say a 10% bonus to success rate or something similar.  Not enough to make one TR but something that fits.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Aug 4th, 2011 at 11:07am:
If the bonus was minor I would have no problem with it as it fits with the class, say a 10% bonus to success rate or something similar.  Not enough to make one TR but something that fits.

If it's something like this, that basically just speeds up leveling, it would be less of an issue as far as making current crafters obsolete.  It becomes a question of whether starting over with an Artificer is more efficient than continuing to level the current crafter.  But it still means people without high level crafters already would be foolish not to make a crafting bot.  And if the difference is strong enough, we could get into a situation where Artificer crafting leveling becomes reasonable, but non-Artificer leveling remains insane.

The worst would be crafting options that only Artificers can do, or major cost reductions just for Artificers (as in, bypassing Purified Eberron Shard, Large Devil Scale and Demon's Blood type costs)

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 11:44am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Aug 4th, 2011 at 10:48am:
That would piss me off to no end.  I want to actually PLAY my Figher who is my main crafter.  I don't want to TR him into an Artificer craft-bot.

Wouldn't TRing reset your crafting XP?  Honest question, I don't play.

Anyway, the point is that I suspect this means everyone who has a crafting mule will be replacing/reincarnating said mule into an Artificer.  I think it's pretty clear that the Artificer will have some kind of significant tie-in to Cannith crafting.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 11:48am
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Aug 4th, 2011 at 11:44am:
Wouldn't TRing reset your crafting XP?  Honest question, I don't play.

No, crafting levels are separate and do not reset.  Per MadFloyd and tested in game...

Right now my crafting mule is my capped Exploiter...it would have to be a significant bonus for me to TR again to a legend and grind up just for crafting.  Although, there would be some synergy with my current gear.

They would really have to make my nipples pop to get me to grind all that XP.
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2011 at 11:49am by Eladiun »  

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #13 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
I don't wanna have to TR my crafting toon sorc into an artificer.  Angry She's my favor capped toon! And she has eaten all +3 tomes! (She's my oldest toon that I didn't TR from back when I started playing again in late 07) Damnit!
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2011 at 12:03pm by rest »  

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Strakeln wrote on Aug 4th, 2011 at 11:44am:
Anyway, the point is that I suspect this means everyone who has a crafting mule will be replacing/reincarnating said mule into an Artificer.  I think it's pretty clear that the Artificer will have some kind of significant tie-in to Cannith crafting.

Seems likely.

It's still a terrible, terrible idea, and one I'm hoping the Devs will actually have the sense not to do it.  No matter how slim that hope is...

IP Logged

Jaxx
Fleet Admiral

Reply #15 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
Hmmm.....  My crafter is a capped TR Palemaster Wizzy.  That seems to have a little synergy for past lives into an Artificer.

I wonder if I know any guildies planning on doing an upcoming TR3 that I could grind out 4.3 million fucking XP with Roll Eyes

Cue Stainer entrance is 3.........2............1.............

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #16 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Aug 4th, 2011 at 11:07am:

People grind out millions of xp for as little as 1% more effectiveness. I really think people (myself included) would bang out a TR for a 10% boost to crafting.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #17 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
rest wrote on Aug 4th, 2011 at 12:23pm:
People grind out millions of xp for as little as 1% more effectiveness. I really think people (myself included) would bang out a TR for a 10% boost to crafting.

By the time this releases anyone serious about crafting will have at least 75 levels, that 10% success rate means in each crafting grind session I save a few dozen mats...meh.

Quote:

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Aug 4th, 2011 at 12:26pm:
By the time this releases anyone serious about crafting will have at least 75 levels, that 10% success rate means in each crafting grind session I save a few dozen mats...meh. 

No way in hell I'm leveling my crafter as long as an unknown Artificer class is looming.

My crafter is a Barbarian; he's not the most geared, but he does have an Epic Claw set.  I'm not TRing him into an Artificer, so if Artificer gets any substantial bonus to Cannith Crafting I'll either be starting over, or forgetting about the damn thing and crafting what I can with the levels I already have.  +4 Holy Banes are good enough...

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #19 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Aug 4th, 2011 at 12:26pm:

Perhaps. I'm not that serious about crafting, only being in the mid 50's on everything, so a 10% boost would be nice.

IP Logged

TWDiggs
Mr. Infraction

Reply #20 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 1:09pm
Print Post  
Jaxx wrote on Aug 4th, 2011 at 12:15pm:
Hmmm.....  My crafter is a capped TR Palemaster Wizzy.  That seems to have a little synergy for past lives into an Artificer.

I wonder if I know any guildies planning on doing an upcoming TR3 that I could grind out 4.3 million fucking XP with Roll Eyes

Cue Stainer entrance is 3.........2............1.............

I will be reincarnating Cru at some point in the near future. Grin

stainer wrote on Oct 5th, 2011 at 1:29pm:
Everyday that you aren't banned, is a borrowed day.

Grace wrote on Dec 2nd, 2012 at 8:31pm:
Well, you're a godless heathen, anyway. I would totally wear my rape whistle around you.
YIM  
IP Logged

Fuck Off
The Big Fuck

My favorite word is Fuck.
Fuck, fuck, fuck.

Reply #21 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Cor wrote on Aug 4th, 2011 at 9:50am:
Crafting bots would be lame.

Like we don't already have players that have a dedicated character for crafting that isn't a main played character, aka crafting bot?

I wouldn't mind seeing something for crafting from the artificer but I don't think it would amount to much anyway once the players crafting bot is already capped.

Currently my crafter is a lvl 4 barbarian and crafting is all this character does.  Just about to hit lvl 60 in all three.  I can LR to an artificer if they do add some bonus to crafting.  If not, I can ignore it completly.
« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2011 at 1:39pm by Fuck Off »  

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.  - Albert Einstein

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #22 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Fuck Off wrote on Aug 4th, 2011 at 1:34pm:
Like we don't already have players that have a dedicated character for crafting that isn't a main played character, aka crafting bot?

I wouldn't mind seeing something for crafting from the artificer but I don't think it would amount to much anyway once the players crafting bot is already capped.

Currently my crafter is a lvl 4 barbarian and crafting is all this character does.  Just about to hit lvl 60 in all three.  I can LR to an artificer if they do add some bonus to crafting.  If not, I can ignore it completly.

I'm sure that some people do have a dedicated "alt" just for crafting, but I made it one of my main characters and I don't want to be pushed into turning him into a character class that is a complete mismatch for his current setup.  Heavy Pick specced Kensai -> Artificer does not seem like a powerhouse of a character.  Smiley

fnord

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #23 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Fuck Off wrote on Aug 4th, 2011 at 1:34pm:

You might make a crafting bot, but there's currently no game mechanic reason to do it, and there's no reason to gimp that character's questing abilities in favor of crafting.  In fact, making your main your crafter makes sense since it's less passing around of stuff.

My crafter is my Barbarian primarily because when crafting was first introduced, it was all BtC, and he had the most immediate need for crafted items (boss beaters).

IP Logged

Mister_Peace
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #24 - Aug 4th, 2011 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
Hmm, I'm liking the Eternal Wands idea. The ability to craft Eternal wands combined with Wand/Scroll Mastery sounds interesting, especially if infusions don't take mat components. a set of ten wands at cap instead of ten stacks of spell components would be ... damn, the wands would all move around wouldn't they?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint