Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Farming for XP on Elite instead of Normal (Read 11782 times)
rest
One Man Wolfpack

Re: Farming for XP on Elite instead of Normal
Reply #25 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Aug 9th, 2011 at 3:11pm:
There will be n reason to run normal from now on, correct? You will run all your quests at the hard level at least, if not elite.

Correct as far as I can tell. 12n/h/e will now become 12e/h
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2011 at 3:16pm by rest »  

IP Logged

Kernal
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
There will be n reason to run normal from now on, correct? You will run all your quests at the hard level at least, if not elite.

That's my impression.  A quest would need to have a phenomenal exp/min (and base exp) to justify running on norm at all, because doing so would cut heavily into the exp/min you earn on subsequent quests. 

-Kernal

Asketes wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:41am:
Actually I'm willing to bed the mods

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
It wasn't clear to me on how the bonus would stack. Let's say you do 5xE, then H,E across a bunch of of different quests. Since you didn't contaminate your bonus with any Normal runs, do you keep 50% (from 5 elites), or will it be a rolling average based on your past 5 Hard or Elite runs (so you'd fluctuate from 25% to 50%)?

I can see quests like the sewer quest near STK getting run a lot by premium players. Get your first time Normal bonus, run Sunken Sewer 5x on elite to get your 50% bonus, then stick with hard and elite content until you level, wash, rinse, repeat.

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #28 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
I'm sure it won't work correctly the first time it's implemented. Hopefully someone figures out to get a 9000% bonus through some sort of trickery. Then we can exploit early and often.

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #29 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 3:58pm
Print Post  

I would say this another way.  There is a reason to NOT run a quest on normal unless you are capped.  Running a quest on normal will typically cost you experience points.

Some questions I have:  What happens if you log off or switch characters?  If you exit the game, do you have to restart accumulating the bonus?  What happens if you crash?

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #30 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 4:00pm
Print Post  
Come on, people, I'm trapped at work for at least more 3 hours, and won't be able to get on Lama for another 5 hours. Get on there and start answering these questions.

Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #31 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
My Llama client is so outdated, I'd spend all night getting it updated.

Also, I'm at work too.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #32 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Fully stacked Elite Shadow Crypt is going to be absolutely bananas. 130% base (50% from stack, 80% from the new elite first time bonus) + 25% pot + 5% voice + 3% (or higher) guild = like 25k for just the quest. Not including the optional bosses.

Unless my math sucks (which it probably does).

Now does the stack influence optionals? If so, Wiz king just got a lot more awesome.

IP Logged

Kernal
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Aug 9th, 2011 at 3:41pm:
It wasn't clear to me on how the bonus would stack. Let's say you do 5xE, then H,E across a bunch of of different quests. Since you didn't contaminate your bonus with any Normal runs, do you keep 50% (from 5 elites), or will it be a rolling average based on your past 5 Hard or Elite runs (so you'd fluctuate from 25% to 50%)?

I can see quests like the sewer quest near STK getting run a lot by premium players. Get your first time Normal bonus, run Sunken Sewer 5x on elite to get your 50% bonus, then stick with hard and elite content until you level, wash, rinse, repeat.

In principle yes, but not quite:
Your Bravery bonus only increases once per quest.  Running Sunken Sewer 5x on elite will only give you +10%; not +50%.  Plenty of other quests around, though; the marketplace coin lords chain are all very short, for example. 

-Kernal

IP Logged

Kernal
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
It's unclear (to me) how the bravery bonus stacks if you alternate hard/elite runs.  Here's my speculation:

The bravery bonus increments by one (max 5) each time you complete a quest on hard or elite.  It resets to zero if you complete a quest on normal.
When completing a quest on hard, you get an extra exp boost of (bravery bonus size)*5%.
When completing a quest on elite, you get an extra exp boost of (bravery bonus size)*10%. 

So completing 5 quests on hard and then one elite, the elite quest would get the whole +50% boost.  Completing a quest on hard after that would only get a +25% boost. 

Just a guess.

-Kernal

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 4:48pm
Print Post  
The screenshots by Cashiry seem to answer my questions:
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=334109

It seems that only your first time ever in a quest on H/E counts towards bravery. The second screenshot says "Applying highest bonus (Elite)". So it looks promising that five elites will get you 50% bonus that you keep through subsequent hard difficulty.

This might be what gets me to spring for VIP one day, although hard and elite can be ugly outside of guild runs. Unfortunately, my guild on Orien was already half-dead before the guild leader stopped playing a year ago, and the current guild leader (me) is not much of a recruiter.

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #36 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Honestly if I have to think too hard about it, I'll just keep farming like I have in the past. I'm too lazy to plan shit like that out.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
Further discussion on that thread makes it look like the bonus is based on what difficulty you do a quest the very first time you ever set foot inside.

If so, that would suck. Typical Turbine - neat idea, shit implementation.

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #38 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
From MadFloyd:

Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
Let me try to explain it.

If a quest has never been run by your character (i.e. it's 'virgin' to him/her) then you qualify to get a Bravery bonus by running it on either hard or elite.

Failing and trying multiple times doesn't matter.

Once you complete it on either hard or elite, you get a Bravery Bonus. This is on top of the one time difficulty bonus that you already enjoy.

Now, this quest is no longer 'vrigin' and you're free to re-run it 10,000 times without having it affect future Bravery bonuses.

Now you go and complete another virgin quest on hard or elite. This starts a streak. Now you get the one time difficulty bonus, plus a bravery bonus PLUS an additional bonus for having a streak going.

Streaks stack up to 5 times and a completion of Elite counts as both a Hard AND Elite streak. In other words, if you complete Elite 3 times in a row, your streaks look like:

Hard: 3
Elite: 3

A hard streak is 5% per and elite is 10%, so you would get a 30% bonus in this case.

If you end up completing the next virgin quest on Hard, your Elite streak is reset but Hard continues:

Hard: 4
Elite: 0

In this case you get a 20% bonus (4 x 5%).

You can start your Elite streak back up, but because we always apply the highest bonus, you would get 25% for Hard (5 x 5%) until your Elite streak bonus surpassed the Hard streak bonus.

I'm writing this quickly, sorry if I'm not being clear.

MF

So I think the optimal farming will be E/12xN/H

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan
Nice is for cowards and democrats - Red

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #39 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
why,

every time you run normal you reset your streak counter.

so never run normal continue to get better bonuses.

At minimum the 25% hard bonus, 50% max for the elite bonus.

Normal now means "do not run"

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #40 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Invelios wrote on Aug 9th, 2011 at 5:53pm:
why,

every time you run normal you reset your streak counter.

so never run normal continue to get better bonuses.

At minimum the 25% hard bonus, 50% max for the elite bonus.

Normal now means "do not run"

No, as long as you complete Hard or Elite before you run Normal it won't reset your streak count.  So run elite 1st, and after that it doesn't matter.

Originally Posted by Hollowgolem View Post
So what happens if you run a quest for the first time on elite, run another 4 quests for the first time on elite, and then run the first quest (which you've already run) on normal? Does that reset the counter?
Nope. We're trying to make it flexible enough to not overly complicate grouping. Once a quest is no longer 'virgin' to you, it cannot affect your streak counters.

'Brave' basically means 'This character has never run this quest. Instead of starting with Normal (or casual for that matter), I'll challenge myself by playing it on Hard or Elite.'

Once you've successfully completed the quest on any difficulty then your character is familiar with it and doesn't qualify for further bravery bonuses on that quest.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2011 at 6:04pm by Selee »  

I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves. - Ronald Reagan

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
I feel more confused than ever. They appear to have worked hard to make it difficult to maximize the bonus XP unless you only do elite runs. It looks like the most efficient farming is going to be doing a quest on hard after doing it (and four others) on elite, so that your streak counter is stacked with elites. As soon as you run another "virgin" quest on hard, you reset your counter completely.

MF added more info that seems to contradict the release notes (wouldn't be the first time):

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?&postid=3979197#post3979197
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollowgolem View Post
So what happens if you run a quest for the first time on elite, run another 4 quests for the first time on elite, and then run the first quest (which you've already run) on normal? Does that reset the counter?

Nope. We're trying to make it flexible enough to not overly complicate grouping. Once a quest is no longer 'virgin' to you, it cannot affect your streak counters.

'Brave' basically means 'This character has never run this quest. Instead of starting with Normal (or casual for that matter), I'll challenge myself by playing it on Hard or Elite.'

Once you've successfully completed the quest on any difficulty then your character is familiar with it and doesn't qualify for further bravery bonuses on that quest.
« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2011 at 6:01pm by Kimberlite »  

IP Logged

Maxwell Edison
Bailiff

HADOUKEN!

Reply #42 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
What if you run it epic first time?  That should give like 300% more XP!

IP Logged

Selee
Abbot Raider

Reply #43 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Aug 9th, 2011 at 6:00pm:
I feel more confused than ever. They appear to have worked hard to make it difficult to maximize the bonus XP unless you only do elite runs. It looks like the most efficient farming is going to be doing a quest on hard after doing it (and four others) on elite, so that your streak counter is stacked with elites. As soon as you run another "virgin" quest on hard, you reset your counter completely.

MF added more info that seems to contradict the release notes (wouldn't be the first time):

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?&postid=3979197#post3979197

He actually explained this elsewhere:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadFloyd View Post
Let me try to explain it.

If a quest has never been run by your character (i.e. it's 'virgin' to him/her) then you qualify to get a Bravery bonus by running it on either hard or elite.

Failing and trying multiple times doesn't matter.

Once you complete it on either hard or elite, you get a Bravery Bonus. This is on top of the one time difficulty bonus that you already enjoy.

Now, this quest is no longer 'vrigin' and you're free to re-run it 10,000 times without having it affect future Bravery bonuses.

Now you go and complete another virgin quest on hard or elite. This starts a streak. Now you get the one time difficulty bonus, plus a bravery bonus PLUS an additional bonus for having a streak going.

Streaks stack up to 5 times and a completion of Elite counts as both a Hard AND Elite streak. In other words, if you complete Elite 3 times in a row, your streaks look like:

Hard: 3
Elite: 3

A hard streak is 5% per and elite is 10%, so you would get a 30% bonus in this case.

If you end up completing the next virgin quest on Hard, your Elite streak is reset but Hard continues:

Hard: 4
Elite: 0

In this case you get a 20% bonus (4 x 5%).

You can start your Elite streak back up, but because we always apply the highest bonus, you would get 25% for Hard (5 x 5%) until your Elite streak bonus surpassed the Hard streak bonus.

I'm writing this quickly, sorry if I'm not being clear.

MF

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #44 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
I'm slow I guess. Doesn't make much goddamned sense to me. Maybe I'll have to play around with it to understand better how it works.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 6:12pm
Print Post  
I like this.

Use easy quests to stack the modifier.
Run something for even greater XP/min.
???
Profit!

IP Logged

Kothar11
Korthos Resident

It's Just a Fuckin Game!

Reply #46 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I like this.

Use easy quests to stack the modifier.
Run something for even greater XP/min.
???
Profit!

Would there be some sort of cut off.  For example I dont see that you could take a lvl 19 toon that hasn't ran waterworks on elite then go off and do something else and have it stack.  or has that already been covered?

It's Just a GAME!

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #47 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Maxwell Edison wrote on Aug 9th, 2011 at 6:02pm:
What if you run it epic first time?  That should give like 300% more XP!

Smiley

fnord

IP Logged

JoJI
Korthos Resident

Reply #48 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Kothar11 wrote on Aug 9th, 2011 at 7:43pm:
Would there be some sort of cut off.  For example I dont see that you could take a lvl 19 toon that hasn't ran waterworks on elite then go off and do something else and have it stack.  or has that already been covered?

I think that's exactly what you could do.

Leaving TR's for a minute. It reads like one could create a new vet character and skip Korthos/Harbor/maybe most of Market. Then level, fast with this new bonus or slow without, up to Vale'ish range. Maybe even 17-18. Go back to Korthos and bang out 5 rediculously easy elite quests, go back to the Vale, and cap while flagging for Shroud.

I'm more concerned with how it's going to effect DQ1/Titan Pre-Raid. Both raids easy to start running real early. Both with *pre*raids usually run on casual or norm and continued to be run well into the no xp for over level range.

I also see it being a bit of a headache for a few quests. Who's going to want to run Shadow Crypt, Wizking, Von 3 or 5 if their bravery bonus isn't stacked.

All and all I think I like it. Need to see it in action first. Particularly with a line in the release notes about monsters toughening up after fighting players so much. Elite might really, REALLY, be worth the massive bonus.

If elite's still real easy though I think it's going to end up an easy button. Save a few easy quests to elite later before hitting vale/refuge and cap your TRs before Amrath. If that's how it ends up I'd rather they just shift much of the xp needed to TR to below lvl14 where the content is.

« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2011 at 8:53pm by JoJI »  

I still don't know what YaBB is

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Aug 9th, 2011 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
JoJI wrote on Aug 9th, 2011 at 8:51pm:
I think that's exactly what you could do.

Leaving TR's for a minute. It reads like one could create a new vet character and skip Korthos/Harbor/maybe most of Market. Then level, fast with this new bonus or slow without, up to Vale'ish range. Maybe even 17-18. Go back to Korthos and bang out 5 rediculously easy elite quests, go back to the Vale, and cap while flagging for Shroud.

I'm more concerned with how it's going to effect DQ1/Titan Pre-Raid. Both raids easy to start running real early. Both with *pre*raids usually run on casual or norm and continued to be run well into the no xp for over level range.

I also see it being a bit of a headache for a few quests. Who's going to want to run Shadow Crypt, Wizking, Von 3 or 5 if their bravery bonus isn't stacked.

All and all I think I like it. Need to see it in action first. Particularly with a line in the release notes about monsters toughening up after fighting players so much. Elite might really, REALLY, be worth the massive bonus.

If elite's still real easy though I think it's going to end up an easy button. Save a few easy quests to elite later before hitting vale/refuge and cap your TRs before Amrath. If that's how it ends up I'd rather they just shift much of the xp needed to TR to below lvl14 where the content is.

I've never had a tr that had to go passed the Refuge to cap. Just saying, it might be even easier now.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint