Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Newbly Question (Read 3180 times)
Ivywine-
Ex Member

Newbly Question
Aug 10th, 2011 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
I've been seeing a lot of shroud runs that say "DDoor at end" ...
I've been in there a grand total on one time on my pali, which wasn't a successful run;
and I'm just trying to learn and absorb more about this; so ... what is the benefit of DDooring at the end? Is it to get to the different altars? is it for something that's not quite kosher?

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Re: Newbly Question
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Allegedly you can farm larges faster. Assuming you get one that is useful from the pt4 chest. 50/50 shot at getting one, and then smaller chance its something useful like a scale or stone.

I'd rather complete and hit my 20ths quicker.
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2011 at 5:29pm by rest »  

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
So you can farm out the chests up to part 4 without being on timer.

once you have multiple toons shroud ready it doesn't really make sense to do it, unless you just really want to run it over and over and over again.

IP Logged

Asketes
Puppy Farmer

Perma

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Invelios wrote on Aug 10th, 2011 at 5:29pm:
So you can farm out the chests up to part 4 without being on timer.

once you have multiple toons shroud ready it doesn't really make sense to do it, unless you just really want to run it over and over and over again.

If you don't have many toons to run shroud best way is to run without completion five or six times, then complete twice. you'll never ransack a chest that way.

IP Logged

rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
/death is faster and more reliable.

Quote:
Rev. Jim.
He is the only guy here that posts quality, you should all learn from him.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #5 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Quote:
I've been seeing a lot of shroud runs that say "DDoor at end" ...
I've been in there a grand total on one time on my pali, which wasn't a successful run;
and I'm just trying to learn and absorb more about this; so ... what is the benefit of DDooring at the end? Is it to get to the different altars? is it for something that's not quite kosher?

The DDoor is there for people too stupid to hit "recall" when they want to get out.

Some people like to recall early so that they can farm parts 1-4 without getting a completion.  Some subset of those people demand a DDoor because they enjoy being griefed by AoK.

Edit:  the most amusing part is when AoK gets blamed for an immediate altar hit when there aren't even any AoK members in the raid.  Because apparently, some of them leave the guild and join other guilds in disguise so that they can hit the altar incognito or something.
« Last Edit: Aug 10th, 2011 at 5:54pm by popejubal »  

fnord

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #6 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Aug 10th, 2011 at 5:52pm:
Edit:  the most amusing part is when AoK gets blamed for an immediate altar hit when there aren't even any AoK members in the raid.  Because apparently, some of them leave the guild and join other guilds in disguise so that they can hit the altar incognito or something.

That's not why, but please do tell people that. It's very entertaining.

IP Logged

ScaredyCat
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
Just need to check this: /death can get interrupted if you're hit by something? Like blades or fireballs?

On new toons if people don't have the shards they need people will do this also. They have all the larges etc to T3 so that is not an issue. Couple of runs and you've got your concord op and lit2 or what have you.

ddoor to walk calmly out the front step seems so civilized. Or word  of recall scrolls on a divine.

IP Logged

Ivywine-
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
Ah, thank you all for your answers. I suppose this is good to know Smiley

IP Logged

Combat Wombat
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
faster to farm larges doing new invasion runs theres exactly 50 million chests that can all drop larges

IP Logged

ScaredyCat
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
Combat Wombat wrote on Aug 10th, 2011 at 10:43pm:
faster to farm larges doing new invasion runs theres exactly 50 million chests that can all drop larges

Not supremes though. And that's what you often need 2 of per item.

Ivywine the other thing is that ddoor takes you to the front step. The portals that appear around the edges of part 5 after completion take you back to the other parts of the shroud so you can use the crafting alters; tier 1 part 1, tier 2 part3

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #11 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:

Ivywine the other thing is that ddoor takes you to the front step. The portals that appear around the edges of part 5 after completion take you back to the other parts of the shroud so you can use the crafting alters; tier 1 part 1, tier 2 part3

And that front step is not a place where you want to be.

You can't get back into the "main" part of the Shroud once you're in that front entrance*, so if someone hits the altar and completes after you've taken the DDoor and before you've exited the quest, you're extra screwed.  You get the completion that you didn't want AND you don't get the two end chests.

Friends don't let friends DDoor.

*if you /stuck at the front entrance, it can take you back to your location from before you took the DDoor.

fnord

IP Logged

Combat Wombat
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #12 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:

if shards are your limiting factor you are doing something wrong Cheesy

IP Logged

ScaredyCat
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 10th, 2011 at 11:56pm
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Aug 10th, 2011 at 11:39pm:
And that front step is not a place where you want to be.

You can't get back into the "main" part of the Shroud once you're in that front entrance*, so if someone hits the altar and completes after you've taken the DDoor and before you've exited the quest, you're extra screwed.  You get the completion that you didn't want AND you don't get the two end chests.

Friends don't let friends DDoor.

*if you /stuck at the front entrance, it can take you back to your location from before you took the DDoor.

I pretty much said exactly that didn't I? And surely anyone who has had the least experience of questing should know that ddoor takes you back to the front part of the quest *inside* the quest. And then it becomes their own lookout to do the 2 clicks it takes to turn around and hit the gate to exit the raid.

Combat Wombat wrote on Aug 10th, 2011 at 11:39pm:
if shards are your limiting factor you are doing something wrong Cheesy

How so? I roll up a new toon. I get it to 13. I dualbox flag it. We run a guild shroud. I only get 3 of the 4 supremes I wanted to craft the two items I need (2x khops or whatever). We run it again. I sit quietly crafting. Done.

Sorry I don't follow you.

Frankly people get their knickers so twisted about ddoor and I don't get why. Maybe they've had a bad experience where someone being 'helpful' casts a ddoor right on top of the last boss or something.

My original question still stands and unfortunately I am not currently in game to test this: can /death be interrupted? I rarely do this action but I remember being annoyingly interrupted in times past.

IP Logged

Combat Wombat
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #14 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 12:01am
Print Post  
Quote:
How so? I roll up a new toon. I get it to 13. I dualbox flag it. We run a guild shroud. I only get 3 of the 4 supremes I wanted to craft the two items I need (2x khops or whatever). We run it again. I sit quietly crafting. Done.

Sorry I don't follow you.

we are talking about things from the OPs perspective i dont care about you and as a new player starting our shards will never be his limiting factor

IP Logged

Strakeln
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Lumberjack

Reply #15 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 12:02am
Print Post  

Previously, no.  Now, you can interrupt it, at least according to recent release notes (I haven't logged in to test it). 

No idea whether taking damage can interrupt it.  Seems counter-productive, really  Grin

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #16 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 12:07am
Print Post  
Quote:
I pretty much said exactly that didn't I? And surely anyone who has had the least experience of questing should know that ddoor takes you back to the front part of the quest *inside* the quest. And then it becomes their own lookout to do the 2 clicks it takes to turn around and hit the gate to exit the raid.

You did say that, but I wanted to make sure that the implications were clear - that you can get screwed by the DDoor and also mention that there is a workaround.  There are a lot of people who insist that you have to throw DDoors in the Shroud and I have to fight the urge to click the altar every time I see one go up.

fnord

IP Logged

ScaredyCat
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Combat Wombat wrote on Aug 11th, 2011 at 12:01am:
we are talking about things from the OPs perspective i dont care about you and as a new player starting our shards will never be his limiting factor

True. But the original question was why *anyone* would do it.

Also if you get lucky and have a friendly long timer they will most likely be happy to shout you T1 and T2 ings. So if you've got your blanks you may still choose to not complete and get shards for those. So same deal really new or old player.

Different people are going to come at that raid for different reasons new or old - it is nice if the leader has the flexibility to take this into account.

These days crafting is a big factor. If you're newer, 8x 25 runs for crunchables and ing is not bad if you only have one Shroud runner.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #18 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 5:32am
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Aug 10th, 2011 at 5:59pm:
That's not why, but please do tell people that. It's very entertaining.

That is what I tell people when I do it in pug shrouds.

"Hey, where is the AoK guy? Which one of you are new to your guild?"

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #19 - Aug 11th, 2011 at 5:41am
Print Post  
Perfect.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint