Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Anyone else trying out Pathfinder? (Read 8505 times)
Xatasha
Waterworks Kobold

Let fools read what fools
write

Anyone else trying out Pathfinder?
Aug 15th, 2011 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Just started playing a Pathfinder game here on Saturdays.  It basically an 3.5 rule set upgrade that seems to let you customize your character a bit more and they attempted to fix some of the balance issues 3.5 had. 

So far its I am enjoying it.  Have any of you guys/gals/others tried it out yet?

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Re: Anyone else trying out Pathfinder?
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Xatasha wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 12:02pm:
Just started playing a Pathfinder game here on Saturdays.  It basically an 3.5 rule set downgrade that seems to let you fuck up your character a bit more and they attempted to amplify some of the balance issues 3.5 had. 

So far its I am enjoying it.  Have any of you guys/gals/others tried it out yet?

I corrected your post. In addition, here are step by step instructions to enjoying a Pathfinder game:

First, gather your rulebooks. Stack them on top of each other. You should place them on even, level ground and well away from anything else.

Second, obtain a bottle of lighter fluid. You can use the kind used for Zippo style lighters or for charcoal grills, or some other such device.

Third, obtain a fireplace lighter. If you don't have one of these, then anything that will allow you to start a fire at a distance will do.

Fourth, douse the books in the lighter fluid. Be more liberal than the worst Foxtard hyperbole with it.

Fifth, kill it with fire. Be careful not to breathe in the fumes, as they cause Int, Wis, Cha, and San damage.

Sixth, once they have been reduced to ash, and you have ensured that the fire is out quarantine the land you burned it on, as nothing will ever grow there again.

Seventh, go get some 3.5 books. You can simply settle for the core 3, or if you'd like to play more than 3 or 4 classes you can obtain some of the other books.

Eighth, ???

Ninth, profit!

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
My gaming group moved from 3.5 to Pathfinder over a year ago and we're still enjoying it.

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #3 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
I just can't justify spending $50 on a book we wouldn't really use.

I have a ton of 3 and 3.5, not all by any means but plenty enough to play anything we want.

IP Logged

slothinator
Waterworks Kobold

You're doing it wrong

Reply #4 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Been playing for about a year, and really enjoy it. I had not played PNP since AD&D in the early/mid 90's, and this seemed like a good way to get back into gaming. Plus since it doesn't have the "D&D" name attached to it, my wife has no problem with the kids playing it.

On Sarlona: Abbracadaver - Stethos - Shaigh Hulud - Stelvar - Saltmint - Soundwaive - Kuddlefish - Fujihowser MD - Blayddlokk - Redraligan

Member of Giants of Winter and Old Night

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #5 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 12:51pm:
My gaming group moved from 3.5 to Pathfinder over a year ago and we're still enjoying it.

And you are a horrible person for it. Worse even than the ponyfags. Cheesy

When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Gornn
Horoluth Raider

Cracker Fiend

Reply #6 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Definitely a nice ruleset. Cleans up some of the clunky rules from  3.5.

Also makes playing core classes worthwhile.

This is a throw down...a show down...

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #7 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 1:23pm:
And you are a horrible person for it. Worse even than the ponyfags. Cheesy

Cry

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 1:47pm:
Cry

Despite the hyperbole, I am entirely serious. Pathfailure is a haven for the Godhs and Snootches of the PnP community. Everyone else realizes what a clusterfuck it is, either on their own or after having it explained to them once. That is why it has two types of characters: God characters, and Godh characters. God characters are Clerics, Druids, Sorcerers, and Wizards that do nothing but spam save or lose spells in combat, along with some divinations later on. Godh characters are... everything else. Including characters of those classes that do things other than the one I described. You thought 3.5 had class balance problems? It ain't got shit on Pathfailure.

Let me know if you would like further elaboration.

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #9 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 1:58pm:
Let me know if you would like further elaboration.

I used to frequent the Character Optimization forum on the Wizards website where the abuse of the system was absolutely incredible (Pun-pun anyone?).

Please link me to an article or forum post showing that kind of system abuse is even REMOTELY possible with Pathfinder.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #10 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 3:33pm:
I used to frequent the Character Optimization forum on the Wizards website where the abuse of the system was absolutely incredible (Pun-pun anyone?).

Please link me to an article or forum post showing that kind of system abuse is even REMOTELY possible with Pathfinder.

It's really quite simple. The DCs on save or loses got jacked way up. Enemy saves are the same or lower. Further, saves CANNOT get high. End result is you end up throwing out an effect that ends the combat on the spot if it works, and is almost completely incapable of failing to work.

Conversely everyone else got beaten down with the nerfbat. And most of the other things were on the weak side to begin with, so you can imagine how that goes. And the other types of spells also ended up getting nerfed, either directly or indirectly so if you play a Cleric/Druid/Sorcerer/Wizard, and want to do something other than spam save or loses you're just as much of a Godh build as crap like Fighters and Rogues.

In short, every problem with 3.5 is still there, as bad or worse, more problems are there on top of those, and Pathfailure lacks a single redeeming quality to make up for this as the one thing it does well - letting you effortlessly zerg with a caster is something that any number of video games also provide and with pretty graphics to boot. Most of said games are also better balanced, so that there is more than one right way to play them.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #11 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 3:33pm:

After spending some time reading about the arguments on both sides, I actually tend to agree with Squelch.  It's not that the potential for system abuse is greater/same/less, it's that weak classes (fighter/barb/rogue/paladin/ranger/monk) got weaker, and strong classes (wizard/sorcerer/cleric/druid) got stronger.

If your group is more into the story or RP side of the game, you may never notice.  A group that focuses purely on the tactics and mechanics will probably get frustrated.

It's a shame, too.  I think Paizo puts out some of the best adventures in the industry, hands down.  Erik Mona is a D&D god.  In addition, the Pathfinder system started under great pretenses and looked shiny at the start.  More Feats!  Improved Combat Maneuvers!  Rebalanced Classes!  It's just that somewhere along the way they got hopelessly lost and couldn't see the forest for the trees and ended up just exacerbating the very problems they were trying to fix.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:02pm by Schmoe »  

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Xatasha
Waterworks Kobold

write

Reply #12 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Schmoe wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 3:57pm:
After spending some time reading about the arguments on both sides, I actually tend to agree with Squelch.  It's not that the potential for system abuse is greater/same/less, it's that weak classes (fighter/barb/rogue/paladin/ranger/monk) got weaker, and strong classes (wizard/sorcerer/cleric/druid) got stronger.

If your group is more into the story or RP side of the game, you may never notice.  A group that focuses purely on the tactics and mechanics will probably get frustrated.

It's a shame, too.  I think Paizo puts out some of the best adventures in the industry, hands down.  Erik Mona is a D&D god.  In addition, the Pathfinder system started under great pretenses and looked shiny at the start.  More Feats!  Improved Combat Maneuvers!  Rebalanced Classes!  It's just that somewhere along the way they got hopelessly lost and couldn't see the forest for the trees and ended up just exacerbating the very problems they were trying to fix.

I don't think the classes are any weaker just different which IMO will upset the "power gamer" crowd since the old OP builds got nerfed and OMG having to rethink building characters is a pain for them.  They are trying to give players more options than we had in 3.5.   For me it is way better than 4E which is just a lame attempt to milk money off of old materiel 3.0/3.5 converted to 4E

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #13 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:29pm
Print Post  

It appeared to me that Monk got stronger and Paladin got a HUGE boost.

Heck, with all the new Critical feats, it looks like the Fighter got even better.

Please clarify why you think those classes got nerfed.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:29pm by Arkat »  

IP Logged

Xatasha
Waterworks Kobold

write

Reply #14 - Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:29pm:

Heck, with all the new Critical feats, it looks like the Fighter got even better.

The Ultimate Combat came out last week.  New classes gunslinger, Samurai and Ninja and a bunch of new arch types and feats.  It is a bit too heavy into asian favor stuff for my taste but still some good stuff.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #15 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 12:26am
Print Post  
Well, I've included a quote from another thread a few months ago.  While I'm not quite as vociferous about it as Squelch, I agree with some of his points.  For example the feats.  Sure, everyone gets more now, but look at Improved Trip vs. the 3.5 version.  In 3.5 tripping was actually a useful tactic, but in Pathfinder it has been nerfed to just more useless filler.

Sure, paladins got some shiny new toys, but did you see what sorcerers got?  More known spells.  Free metamagic.  Divine spells for known spells.  The gap got wider, not narrower.

Skills were consolidated.  Cross-class is relatively meaningless.  On the surface it's a good thing, but it dilutes the benefit of skill classes like rangers and rogues, because now anyone can be good at a wide variety of skills.  Again, casters retain their benefits, while other classes see their benefits either diminished or given to others.

Anyway, just my personal opinion, and if your groups are enjoying the game, that's all that really matters.  I have long felt that high-level non-caster characters were underpowered, from 2e on, so maybe Pathfinder just struck a nerve.

Hi Welcome wrote on Apr 22nd, 2011 at 6:36pm:
Roffle. They aren't that rare, but Hi Welcome

As for the topic itself, PF is an absolute abomination. Know how we all make fun of Korthos Army? Well, PF is the KA of the PbP world. Literally, it is an army of low level, clueless fuckwits. The people in charge of it are not any more sighted than those they lead.

As such, it is 3.5, but worse. There is no PF game idea that is not better served by 3.5 because everything about 3.5 that is bad is still there, or perhaps is worse, and everything that was good is gone. Except for "full caster teams rofflestomp everything". Those are better served by poorly balanced video games.

But while it is funny to dismiss something as total failure, on par with the worst of the worst, it is not particularly informative. After all, you'd probably like to know why that is so. So let's break it down, first by disputing every claim here, then getting the ones everyone missed.

Cale: And a large portion of a character's power comes from feat selection, and offering a feat every other level just increases this.

On the surface, it would seem that getting more feats would indeed result in getting more feats. But this is Paizo we are discussing, so logic does not apply here. Instead what happens is you are 1 feat ahead at level 5, 7, 8, 9, and 10, 2 ahead at 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, and 18, and 3 ahead at 17, 19, and 20. Now if you are a primary spellcaster, your feats have the same or greater power, so you do get a power up. If you are anything else, your feats have been beaten down hard with a nerfbat. Know how people needed wheelbarrows of money to buy food in wartime Germany around the 1940s? While it doesn't take it to quite that extreme you get the idea. You have a lot less feat power... on anything that actually needed feat power.

The best got better, the worst got worse. Not to mention feats suffer from diminishing returns, as you will always take feats that are most useful first, and then take less useful things as you run out of the best options. So even if this previous point were not true, it means all they've really done is make bonus feats, such as that class people only dip for 1, 2, or 4 levels for bonus feats and never use otherwise completely obsolete, instead of just almost completely obsolete. Can't quite put my finger on it, but it's that thing that frequently gets Hadokened by a Black Mage.

Gornn: yeah I recently made a level 20 fighter for a game. gave him the twf chain. it's pretty impressive what you can do. I haven't looked too much at casters. Never been a huge caster guy, myself.

Ive made some decent casters in my day but it's never been my specialty.

Playing PF as someone who hates casters is like playing with Devorien as someone who would like to sniff flowers. Playing a TWF Fighter of all things at level 20 is like doing all that with a Con of 6, and then wondering why he makes a wish upon your Luck (Soul) Stone as he tosses it into a (lava) fountain, then spends the next half hour tearing you apart on the mic. Cheesy

Analogies aside, PF supports one and only one playstyle. Full caster teams zerg rushing shit, with DC lol fuck you save or lose effects. This is because there are a great deal of things that boost their power, and those were already pretty fucking awesome to begin with. Want to do something, anything else? The system says fuck you, get with the program bitch.

Want to play a character who casts damaging spells, or buffing spells, or no spells at all? Wrong game for you. You will fail before, during, and after any such attempt, as anything positive said characters had were forcibly stripped away from them, and they were then beaten and sodomized by the nerfbat, while having a threesome with James "No variety, casters only, FINAL DESTINATION" Jacobs. Particularly if you're in the no spells at all club.

Because see, if you're in that club, you were already riding one of these...

Smiley

Because you had two, and only two options to focus your character, and you had to pick one of them.

1: Power Attack, combined with various things that build off Power Attack. Equip a two handed weapon and charge things, and pray to whatever God, Devil, or Not Very Subtle Analogy to a Vagina you worship that that one, singular charge kills the mother fucker, and there aren't any other mother fuckers. If your target lives, or there are other targets, you die. Good luck.

2: Improved Trip, combined with a bunch of other things that build off tripping. Equip a Spiked Chain, and pray to whatever God, Devil, or Not Very Subtle Analogy to a Vagina you worship that every mother fucker wanders into your trip radius, nicely allows you to trip them, and isn't somehow immune to being tripped, because if they are you die. Good luck.

So what does PF do to fix this?

1: Heavily nerfs the DPS of all DPS classes. Great, so now you can't kill anything. You still get rofflestomped by enemies though, who have the same, and in many cases greater DPS... often as a result of the same factor that nerfs the fuck out of player DPS. Namely, making Power Attack completely worthless. Not to mention those other things that build off PA aren't in the game at all unless you bring in 3.5 material, and if you do, since PA is nerfed, those are nerfed by proxy anyways, so you still have a worthless character.

2: Designs a mechanic in such a way so that anything opposed by it is doomed to automatic failure, and then makes trip (and the other maneuvers, but no one cares about them) opposed by it. End result? You never succeed at tripping anyone. They also nerfed the fuck out of the Spiked Chain and the Improved Trip feat, just in case it wasn't clear you should be getting a train ran on you by a caster by now. This same mechanic dooms tumbling to automatic failure, which brutally eviscerates any light armor sorts but that's another problem.

But did you get anything else to compensate? Nope.

TWF is still THF's mentally retarded cousin, who you keep locked in a room when polite company comes over as it is in every way inferior, while being far more expensive.

Holding a shield still marks you as an eternal gimp (unless you are a caster, then you have a free hand for it) and to really rub it in, they made Animated useless, so if you're a non caster you lose out on an item slot entirely.

Enemies still hit you on 2s at mid levels, and negative numbers at high levels, so you can forget about having any sort of defensive value, which is part of the reason you are so easily killed off.

Magic wise, your defenses are the same (casters) or heavily nerfed (everyone else) whereas save DCs went way the fuck up, so any magic using foes tear right through you like Star and friends tear through the fucking Waterworks on their 9 kajillionith life.

By now you're either rolling on the floor laughing or boiling over with frothing nerdrage, but once you get past that you'll probably start thinking of something along the lines of "But Squelch, they nerfed x spell and y caster feature, doesn't that prove you wrong?"

The educated, intelligent answer can best be summarized as "Roffle, no."

Even if you ignore that you can just bring in 3.5 spells, which are not nerfed, even by proxy, the "nerfs" fit into one of the following criteria:

1: A completely meaningless change, that has no effect on actual play (Glitterdust).
2: Something that completely missed the fucking point, did nothing to lower caster power, but a lot towards making sure that max potential is always realized (Wild Shape).
3: Something that actually does nerf the spell, even if it's by accident, but only does so because of some sort of interaction with non casters, who are screwed more by the nerf than those casting the actual spell (Black Tentacles).
4: Something actually does nerf the spell, but since the spell was only really any good against other casters, that really just results in a caster buff (Ray of Enfeeblement).

When faced with an example of the first type, you just proceed as normal and not care, knowing that the fact they think they nerfed something means it's unlikely to be ruined for real. When faced with an example of the second type, your reaction will vary depending upon experience level. Experienced players will just shrug and not care, because they did completely miss the fucking point, and didn't get any of the real goods. Inexperienced ones will make sad faces that they can't say... turn into a lion and enact that Stop Saying Words motivational poster on enemies anymore... and then they'll remember they're a Druid, which means they have better things to do. So they'll find those things, and end up actually making stronger characters, simply because they no longer have their "fun" fallback there for them to fall back on. When faced with an example of the third type... you just cast a different spell. Like with Black Tentacles, it became useless because maneuvers (which includes grapple) became useless. But you have other tricks, and mundanes don't, so you don't give a fuck. When faced with an example of the fourth type, you just shrug, keep mashing that save or lose button, and not care, as the things that check you don't work anymore.

But if you think that's bad, try playing a Rogue. If the casters are pimps, and the non casters are their whores, the Rogue is that funny chick who is made to perform donkey shows on the cheap... and likes it. The only reason Rogues are not exceeding even Monks in failure is because they were substantially better than Monks in 3.5 and haven't quite fallen that far... whereas Monks are actually not much worse. Because even Paizo couldn't fuck up Monks much worse than they already are.

Holy fucking shit, did I just spend over 20% of the post limit putting Pathfailure in its place?

...I suppose I could have added a lot more, but whatever. Smiley

Edit: Can't be fucked to multiquote right, GFY.

-Waters

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #16 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 5:11am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Apr 22nd, 2011 at 6:36pm:
Playing PF as someone who hates casters is like playing with Devorien as someone who would like to sniff flowers. Playing a TWF Fighter of all things at level 20 is like doing all that with a Con of 6, and then wondering why he makes a wish upon your Luck (Soul) Stone as he tosses it into a (lava) fountain, then spends the next half hour tearing you apart on the mic.

*Sniff Sniff*  Such a true statement.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #17 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 12:53pm
Print Post  

You forgot bard (is on the weak side) but yeah.

Quote:

Well yeah, if you ignore the rules you might not notice that said rules are horrible. Of course if you wanted to play pretendy land, you could go hang out with Dispel for 0 dollars and 0 cents, and not spend 100 dollars or more on rulebooks.

Quote:
It's a shame, too.  I think Paizo puts out some of the best adventures in the industry, hands down.

Lolwut. And you were doing so well too. As it is, the published modules are only marginally better than their attempt at making rules systems. Now all published modules are terrible for various reasons, but their work is terrible even by those standards.

Quote:
Erik Mona is a D&D god.  In addition, the Pathfinder system started under great pretenses and looked shiny at the start.  More Feats!  Improved Combat Maneuvers!  Rebalanced Classes!  It's just that somewhere along the way they got hopelessly lost and couldn't see the forest for the trees and ended up just exacerbating the very problems they were trying to fix.

At the very beginning. Their "playtesting" was a joke. You thought Mournlands was bad? Imagine a testing environment in which they are not only not actually looking for testing, but actively discourage people from providing it as what they are really wanting is positive quotes for quote mining purposes. That's what you get there, so it should come as no surprise to you that the Godhs and Snootches of the PnP community have successfully created an abomination upon gaming.

Xatasha wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:27pm:
I don't think the classes are any weaker just different which IMO will upset the "power gamer" crowd since the old OP builds got nerfed and OMG having to rethink building characters is a pain for them.  They are trying to give players more options than we had in 3.5.   For me it is way better than 4E which is just a lame attempt to milk money off of old materiel 3.0/3.5 converted to 4E

Yes, because going from save or lose spamming casters, to save or lose spamming casters with +8-9 DC is such a major build change right? I mean you're totally doing something different! That will show those dirty rotten powergamers that wanted to play a Fighter or Rogue and not have people form lines to kick them in the balls! And because going from other types of classes being potentially playable, to Godh builds means more options right?

You must be a member of the Paizo boards, because that makes no sense to anyone with 2 or more brain cells.

Arkat wrote on Aug 15th, 2011 at 4:29pm:

The long post that Schmoe was so kind as to hunt down does a good job of summarizing the general details, however it misses several sections I forgot to write at the time, and does not go into the particulars.

First, the TL;DR version: Monks are even worse now, and so are Paladins, and critical feats are just a noob trap with no substantial value of any kind to anyone.

Now to elaborate.

First Monks and Paladins, just like all the other non casters are DPS classes. It's all they can do, therefore their value is directly proportional to the nonexistent numbers that float over their imaginary heads. All of the general non caster nerfs mentioned in that long post apply to them as well, and since those two were already bottom of the barrel, well you can imagine how that goes.

Second, they are Multiple Attribute Dependent classes, which means they need more than 1 non Constitution stat high. While this also isn't unusual, as it applies to all non casters Monks and Paladins are more subjected to it than any other. So let's back up for a moment and start at the beginning.

You are creating a character. So you have x points to assign at will. When compared to the 3.5 point buy system, the Pathfailure point buy system further punishes Multiple Attribute Dependent characters while making it so those who only need a single, non Constitution stat are even better. Since Monks and Paladins are both very highly MAD, they are screwed over quite hard by this. And they're not even a fully created character yet, just a stat line. The Pathfailure point buy system also emphasizes lower point values more than 3.5 does. Lower point values of course favor those who need fewer points to get up to par, which means those who need fewer stats to assign those points to. Aka the SAD characters.

Next you pick your race. There are six of them, and half of those increase one stat of your choice by 2, and the other half increase two preset stats by 2 and lower one preset stat by 2. As you can imagine this means that Single Attribute Dependent characters benefit a lot more from race than their MAD counterparts.

Next you select your class. Now if you had a low HD before (which means caster, or Rogue but those suck now) you get a larger one, which means +1 HP/level. Because of the way the PB system works you also get +1 HP/level if you are a SAD class, because you can take a higher Con. Notice that non casters with the exception of Rogues and I think Bards are not getting any of this.

Next you select your favored class. Basically every time you take a level in your favored class, you get +1 HP (you could also get one skill point, but you'd be fucktarded to ever do so for reasons that will be explained later). This obviously favors those who will take a single class to level 20. Now casters only end up PRCing because it gives them all of their class features (spells) and some other stuff. But since you get those anyways, due to the caster buffs Cleric or Druid or Sorcerer or Wizard 20 is a valid life choice. Meanwhile all the other classes are still weak and frontloaded, so you have to dip around like crazy to even attempt to keep up, and that of course means losing out on those HP.

All in all it amounts to this:

Sorcerer/Wizard: +3 HP/level. Which is also the precise degree of difference between them and Fighters. In other words, they have the same HP now. Well 3 points less (not 3/level, just 3) but close enough.
Cleric/Druid: +2 HP/level. As in they have more HP than Fighters.
All the various non casters, with the exception I mentioned: No change.

Once you actually make your character and start playing you realize the one drawback to crafting - the XP cost is gone. Now the XP cost isn't itself meaningful, after all if you're a level behind you gain approximately 35% more XP from everything until you catch up, and if you're a level behind because you crafted a lot of gear you're not actually weaker. It does matter though simply because you will most likely run out of XP before you run out of GP. Remove that, and it's a ticket to double wealth and thus double power. Only casters can do it though (if you say Master Craftsman, I will laugh at you and say mean things about you on the Internet). More items, and getting those items sooner when you need fewer items = a whole lot more power. So his stat boosters are cheaper to begin with, he needs fewer of them, and then he gets a discount on top of that? End result: Caster has same or better stats as non caster in every single area that matters, even the things you wouldn't think they'd have an advantage on like HP and Fort saves.

Meanwhile the same sort of deflation that applies to non caster feats applies to their wealth. Put simply, their stuff costs more. And while everyone gets slightly more cash, the deflation still more than counters that. What deflation, you might ask? Stat items. All physical stat boosters are one item. All mental stat boosters are one item. So if you are a SAD character you make your physical booster Constitution, and your mental stat booster your casting stat and you are fine. But if you need more than one physical or mental stat you have to pay markups each and every time. On top of that you have to upgrade them all at once, so if you want say... +4 str, +2 con well that's just too bad, you're stuck with your 10k +2 str +2 con item until you can afford the 40k +4/+4 model. Monks and Paladins, being so extremely MAD and gear dependent are hit the hardest by this.

Aside from being hit the hardest by the general changes there was also some things that hit them hard in particular. For Monks, the only way to make them not completely worthless was to stack a whole bunch of die size increases so that when they finally managed to hit something, it might actually matter. A part of this was size increases, which were nerfed, and a part of it was Improved Natural Attack: Unarmed Strike which was also nerfed. There's also the usual melee stuff, Leap Attack Shock Trooper you know the drill that got destroyed by the Power Attack nerf.

For Paladins, see above about charging, except multiply it because charging is all they can really do. The only thing they have going for them is stacking to hit bonuses and converting it to damage, which of course was nerfed. There's a premade Pathfailure Paladin around there somewhere. It's level 13, and is basically custom designed specifically to kill CR 13 Ice Devils, and is supposed to be anti evil outsider in general. Despite this, it was demonstrated that said Paladin would always fail to defeat the Ice Devil. She could not possibly win, because the Ice Devil would just troll her with Wall of Ice and Persistent Image all day, so she couldn't even hit him, but he could hit her. How the fuck do you manage that?

So that in a not so succinct package is why Monks and Paladins fail.

Now, the critical feats. Here is the thing about effects that only trigger a small percentage of the time. They only trigger a small percentage of the time. Over a high number of iterations, they average out and can be fairly considered as part of any decent calculations. With a small sample size, they are statistically insignificant.

DDO fights consist of everyone involved taking hundreds of actions each. So stuff like Improved Critical is actually worthwhile (Khopeshes not sucking also helps).

PnP fights consist of everyone getting about 2 rounds of actions, which means 10 attacks at most and more likely somewhere in the 1-5 range.

Now, if you are a non caster, the only way you can possibly contribute is to win the DPS race. In other words, kill the enemy before it kills you. And if you lose once, well you die. That's it. Yes you can come back, but if it happens more than once you're better off deleting and rerolling because you will lose a level each and every time (and will likely lose more levels than you gain, so you will quickly reach that double death threshhold). To do this you must be able to consistently one round the enemy, because if it takes two you die each and every time the enemy goes first, and if it takes three you just lose.

Suffice it to say relying upon effects with a maximum trigger chance of 30% is the exact opposite of reliable.

Not only that, but said effects aren't that good to begin with. Even if they do trigger, no one will care either because they do nothing that matters, or they do nothing that classes worth a damn couldn't do a dozen levels ago.

On top of that the critical weapons themselves are traps. See, you NEED reach. Enemies have reach, and if you don't that means they get free hits on you. That of course means it's harder to win those all important DPS races. If you have reach, then you've at least negated one of the many advantages your opponents have over you.

The weapons with the wide crit profiles of course do not have reach. So if you're using a Falchion, you're getting smacked around like the dumb bitch you are for using a terrible weapon. If you're using a proper weapon such as the Spiked Chain in an edition that does not have a massive caster fetish, then you cannot use those terrible feats, but since they are terrible that's fine. In effect, because those exist, gullible/stupid/naive people are tricked into fucking over their character.

As for Ultimate Combat, that was the book that pioneered the phrase "Paizo: Powered by your Failure". You see, the Gunslinger has this feature that basically rewards them for trying to do stuff they're not very good at. Because they're not very good at it they will epic fail of course, but since doing so powers them up playing one consists of doing a bunch of stupid shit that doesn't matter, so you can later do something meaningful. It's also written by people who apparently have a thing for critical fumbles, which is just further proof that Paizo has attracted all the dregs of the tabletop gaming community.

As for the Samurai and Ninja, remember the standard rule of Asian themed classes in RPGs. If it is a video game, they will be very good if not the best. If it is a tabletop game, they will be very bad if not the worst. It is a tabletop game, and further they are non casters written by Paizo so they can safely be written off as irredeemably horrible without even looking at them.

One more thing. Skills. Now skills were never that good to begin with. At best you used them until about... level 5 or so, and then you more or less forgot about them as you have better things to do. Which means focusing on skills in PnP is like making healbots or trap gimp Rogues in DDO. You're missing the forest for the trees, and helping no one save those who need a laugh and will take it at your expense. Pathfailure however lives up to its moniker and makes it worse, because skills got nerfed even further.

See, those few skills that were worth using before? They now have much higher DCs. Like Tumble for example. Before it's DC 15 in order to move past someone without provoking an AoO, so pretty easy for some agile type to get to where he needs to be.

Well remember why combat maneuvers went from being usable (trip only) to completely worthless because they won't work? That's because they're opposed by Combat Maneuver Defense, or CMD. Guess what happened to Tumble? Yup, CMD fucked. So now you try to flip past someone, lolfail at it and get smacked anyways.

Spot? Stuff has better Stealth now, so you're not seeing it (and including Listen into the mix doesn't change anything except making it so people actually can hear things now).

Your own Stealth? Sorry, all the auto lose stuff is still in, and enemy Perception is now higher as well. You can't get Darkstalker, so you automatically fail to sneak past anything that matters.

Diplomacy? Oops higher DCs and lower effects. And by lower effects, I mean even if you succeed at the check, you still fail to do what you set out to do (likely some variation of persuading someone to help you or not to kill you).

Of course all the other skills are either just as bad as before, or even worse by requiring much higher DCs to do the same, trivial things.

So yeah. I probably forgot more stuff but this post is long enough as it is.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2011 at 12:57pm by Hi Welcome »  

IP Logged

Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Reply #18 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 12:59pm
Print Post  
So if I were making a new character (say for the Kingmaker Adventure Path), what should I make?

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #19 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 12:53pm:
Lolwut. And you were doing so well too. As it is, the published modules are only marginally better than their attempt at making rules systems. Now all published modules are terrible for various reasons, but their work is terrible even by those standards.

I should probably say that my primary experience with Paizo comes from the APs and Dungeon magazine.  If you think those were trash, well, there's a padded cell I'd like to introduce you to.

-Waters

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #20 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 12:59pm:
So if I were making a new character (say for the Kingmaker Adventure Path), what should I make?

Assuming you haven't interpreted my posts properly to drop Pathfailure like an AIDS infested whore you mean? Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, or Wizard of course. 20 prime casting stat, 16 Con. If you have to dump everything else to do this it doesn't matter at all, as Pathfailure removed everything that meaningfully punishes dumpstats. You will do nothing but spam save or lose spells... so either Color Spray/Command/Entangle at low levels moving to things like Glitterdust (arcane)/Hold Person (divine) after a few levels and then continuing from there up the spell level chain. You'll also cast some divinations later to find the enemy, and find out what they're not immune to but that's about it. Buffs are worthless, damage spells are worthless, and the other classes are worthless. For these reasons you should make sure the entire group does the same thing, both because it isn't very enjoyable to play a useless piking gimp, and because the only way to win fights is to obliterate them with save or loses... which means that if you don't win init, you want someone else on your team to both do so, and do something that matters. More people that can influence combat = more influence on combat. More pikers = more XP/loot sinks, and bored people at your gaming table. It's win/win no matter how you look at it.

Schmoe wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 1:04pm:
I should probably say that my primary experience with Paizo comes from the APs and Dungeon magazine.  If you think those were trash, well, there's a padded cell I'd like to introduce you to.

Those were horrible. Sorry to disappoint you. Actually I'm not, as I take great pleasure in exposing them for the complete and utter failures they are any chance I get. That is what happens when you make mid and high level adventures under the assumption they are just like low level adventures, except with higher numbers. You end up with a terrible, poorly thought out, and easily facerolled adventure because... wait for it... mid and high level characters have mid and high level abilities!
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2011 at 1:09pm by Hi Welcome »  

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #21 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Arkat wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 12:59pm:

Heh.  Sorcerer/Druid/Wizard/Cleric - pick one.

I will say that one thing Paizo did well with Pathfinder is make leveling more fun.  With 3.5, many levels are "empty" and going from 6 fighter to 7 fighter, for example, is pretty boring.  With Pathfinder, virtually every level of every class you get some shiny toy to look forward to.  If only those toys were more worthwhile, it would be great.

-Waters

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #22 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
As the Monk demonstrates, getting something does not equate to getting something good. There are also still plenty of dead levels.

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #23 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 1:07pm:
Those were horrible. Sorry to disappoint you. Actually I'm not, as I take great pleasure in exposing them for the complete and utter failures they are any chance I get. That is what happens when you make mid and high level adventures under the assumption they are just like low level adventures, except with higher numbers. You end up with a terrible, poorly thought out, and easily facerolled adventure because... wait for it... mid and high level characters have mid and high level abilities!

Except... they weren't.  The very people who repeatedly win the GenCon powergamer competition got roffle-stomped by the SCAP climax.  Although, they walked all over Kyuss and Demogorgon, so maybe there is something there...  At any rate, I'd happily DM any of the three APs and I guarantee you I'd improvise enough to keep the players happy and challenged.  It's like DDO - you have the people who like to solo epics for breakfast, and you have the people who die falling off the harbor bridge.  The same adventure won't be fun for all of them without some serious DM intervention.

-Waters

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #24 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 2:40pm
Print Post  
If you have to change the adventure you have defeated the entire point of buying it, and could have just created your own. And as it is the adventure structure is such that you can sequence break it worse than a third party NES game. Not only that, but they're also quite one dimensional as well. Do nothing but spam undead at a party for a dozen or more levels and well before the end of that they'll be able to sweep any undead encounter before you can pronounce the word undead. Anything remotely hard that comes from them comes as the result of poorly designed encounters, and not as a result of actually hard encounters. But then, what do you expect from people that take the Monster Manual 2 seriously, if not an encounter full of enemies that die instantly from any attack, but do around 1,050 average unresistable unblockable damage if they ever get a turn?

And the rest are just built under the assumption high level numbers makes for a high level encounter, but they lack key things that makes it actually hard.

And fuck, I didn't want to use my 1k post on this.
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2011 at 2:41pm by Hi Welcome »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Send TopicPrint