Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Anyone else trying out Pathfinder? (Read 8500 times)
Arkat
Chonus Christ

Hola Bienvenido

Re: Anyone else trying out Pathfinder?
Reply #25 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Ok, I'm looking at any Wizard/Sorcerer creation advice. Anything I should know generally about the Kingmaker Adventure Path that would help me decide what kind of Wizard or Sorcerer I should be?
« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2011 at 4:13pm by Arkat »  

Stand on hills of long-forgotten yesterdays...

Looking for a sign that the Universal Mind has written you into the Passion Play.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Reply #26 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
The basics are enough to blitz it. You'll have HP and saves equal to or better than the non casters before you actually use any spells, and DC fuck you or lose effects aplenty. Your only problem will be losing init, but 1: That's true of anyone, 2: You can end the battle on your turn, 3: If you can't, the other casters in your party can. It will be very boring and one dimensional, but you can do it.

As for that adventure path it will try to distract you with pointless, meaningless bullshit but it is just that - pointless and meaningless.

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #27 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 6:40pm
Print Post  
I've never played Pathfinder, but I'm relatively certain that one would have to be pretty pathetic to be this passionate about how much they dislike it.

gz, HW.

IP Logged

Krull
Korthos Resident

I Love Pot Noodle!

Reply #28 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Just wondering where these mega-increases to spell DCs are, because apart from a couple of situational ones in the core book (Infernal sorcs getting +2 to charms), I don't see it.

IP Logged

Xatasha
Waterworks Kobold

Let fools read what fools
write

Reply #29 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Krull wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 7:31pm:
Just wondering where these mega-increases to spell DCs are, because apart from a couple of situational ones in the core book (Infernal sorcs getting +2 to charms), I don't see it.

So far I haven't seen any major change in spell casting and at times feel that casters are weak due to easy saves.  Then again our game is based around role play and not power gaming. 

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #30 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 12:31am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 12:53pm:
Well yeah, if you ignore the rules you might not notice that said rules are horrible. Of course if you wanted to play pretendy land, you could go hang out with Dispel for 0 dollars and 0 cents, and not spend 100 dollars or more on rulebooks.

That would still have a very significant cost to ones sanity.

Oakianus wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 6:40pm:
I've never played Pathfinder, but I'm relatively certain that one would have to be pretty pathetic to be this passionate about how much they dislike it.

gz, HW. 

Point. some people love to hate things.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #31 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 8:30am
Print Post  
DOWN WITH PATHFINDER!

BURN THE BOOKS!  THEY ARE NOTHING BUT HYPOCRISY! 

BURN THEY CREATORS, THEY ARE FALSE PROPHETS!

Do it, today.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hellath
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Aug 17th, 2011 at 8:30am:
DOWN WITH PATHFINDER!

BURN THE BOOKS!  THEY ARE NOTHING BUT HYPOCRISY! 

BURN THEY CREATORS, THEY ARE FALSE PROPHETS!

Do it, today.

I think Trousertrout took over your account!

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #33 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Quote:
I think Trousertrout took over your account!

That cuts deep.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #34 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 6:40pm:

gz, HW. 

Says the guy whose name literally translates to stick up ass.

Fun fact for you there Oakie. While your Dischordian fueled trolling plays the rest of this board like a lute, I can see right through your amateurish trolling efforts, being as I am the King of Trolls. I know that you're here not because you are defending the undefendable, but simply to troll and as such I will simply leave you knowing that I am laughing at your expense. You are nothing to me, and you are nothing.

Krull wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 7:31pm:

Easy.

First, race. Half the races give +2 to the stat of your choice, the other half give +2 to 2 preset stats and -2 to a third preset stat. Suffice it to say you'll take something with +2 to your casting stat, and that's +1 DC.

Second, feats. Everyone gets 3 extra feats. However non casters suffer from deflation, such that even with the extra feats they still get less mileage out of their feats. Caster feats are as strong or stronger, so more feats = more feats. Thus you will use those extra feats on Spell Focuses that you could not otherwise take, and that's another +1 or +2 DC.

Third, items. Since the primary limiting factor of crafting was removed, you will get access to more powerful stat boosting items sooner, which means that you will raise your primary casting stat sooner and that of course means more DCs.

Fourth, class features. There's various things all over the place that raise DCs of different things, and you will of course stack them on for even more DCs.

Fifth, metamagics. Pathfailure added this neat little metamagic called Persistent Spell. Despite having the exact same name as a 3.5 metamagic feat, its function is drastically different - instead of making short term buffs worthwhile, so you can boost your defensive stats enough to actually matter, they make it so you get a two for one special on your offensive spells. Cast one and they have to pass two saves, or they lose. Making someone make two saves and have to pass both of them is functionally equivalent to a DC increase of 4 or 5 points by itself. Combined with all the other stuff, it's about +8-9 DC.

So you're a level 10 Sorcerer. You have all the obligatory stat boosters, and you have a Lesser Rod of Persistent Spell. You cast Slow. The encounter must make 2 DC 25 Will saves or lose. Suffice it to say they will not be winning all that often, especially since Pathfailure has went out of its way to strip any and all forms of defense out of the game as concepts. And if they do get lucky, that's what your second, third, and fourth casters are for.

An equivalent 3.5 character doing the same thing is only forcing one DC 21 Will save, and is going after higher saving throws due to the long list of 3.5 only things that protect you from being insta gibbed in this way that do not exist in Pathfailure. To achieve results even remotely similar you'd have to be a Snowcaster, which requires far, far more investment and still comes out to be quite inferior.

JC wrote on Aug 17th, 2011 at 12:31am:
That would still have a very significant cost to ones sanity.

So does Pathfailure. What is your point? Just look at this clown:

Xatasha wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 8:09pm:
So far I haven't seen any major change in spell casting and at times feel that casters are weak due to easy saves.  Then again our game is based around role play and not power gaming. 

Blind and actively delusional. Just like Godh and Snootch, really. But then again he's a basketweaver, so if you're expecting him to do anything other than fail for the amusement of his betters (everyone) then you are doing it wrong. Of course for the same reason that makes him Pathfailure's target audience, as it is full of people that make even those paragons of DDO stupidity look like top tier powergamers.

Which brings me to the one, singular good thing about Pathfailure. It snatched up a good number of the bad players, so that I don't have to deal with them at my table.

When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #35 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Aug 17th, 2011 at 9:46am:
So does Pathfailure. What is your point? Just look at this clown:

Actually I think all the massive posts you made in this thread about pathfinder is probably the best example of its cost to ones sanity.  Grin
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:34am by JC »  

Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Xatasha
Waterworks Kobold

Let fools read what fools
write

Reply #36 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:46am
Print Post  
JC wrote on Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:34am:
Actually I think all the massive posts you made in this thread about pathfinder is probably the best example of its cost to ones sanity.  Grin

I think he is a closet pathfinder player

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #37 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Xatasha wrote on Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:46am:
I think he is a closet pathfinder player

He does know very much about it.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #38 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:34am:

Hi Welcome

Unlike you fucktards (that would be pony boy and his basket weaving bitch), I understand things before hating them. Pathfailure is something that had early potential and quickly self choned, and has never recovered. And is often the case with such things, the haters understand it better than the people that erroneously think it is worth anything, as evidenced by Xatasha's flat out wrong posts regarding it.
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2011 at 12:28pm by Hi Welcome »  

IP Logged

Cleavon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 4:02am
Print Post  
Hot damn.  Sorry I missed this thread.  Maybe I should check the vault more often.  I mean, I'm literally having to Necro this shit.  Damn.

THREAD.  COME FORTH AND RISE FOR ANOTHER DAY.

To sum this all up.  Fuck that hater.  Right in his ass.

Pathfinder is a far richer, and streamlined version of 3.5, it still has power problems, but as in every game....it's up to the DM and the players to have fun with the rules system, not turn it over and shake it until the broken shit falls out.

Wurd.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #40 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 4:57am
Print Post  
It still sucks balls.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Cleavon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #41 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 5:13am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 4:57am:
It still sucks balls.

I've played 3.5 for years, and the number of ball sucking things about 3.5 are a mountain compared to the molehill of things that are wrong in PF.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #42 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 5:36am
Print Post  
Cleavon wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 5:13am:
I've played 3.5 for years, and the number of ball sucking things about 3.5 are a mountain compared to the molehill of things that are wrong in PF.

You should play 2.0.  It is the best, always.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #43 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 12:02pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Aug 17th, 2011 at 9:46am:
Says the guy whose name literally translates to stick up ass.

Fun fact for you there Oakie. While your Dischordian fueled trolling plays the rest of this board like a lute, I can see right through your amateurish trolling efforts, being as I am the King of Trolls. I know that you're here not because you are defending the undefendable, but simply to troll and as such I will simply leave you knowing that I am laughing at your expense. You are nothing to me, and you are nothing.

Wow, I'm really glad that I got to see this mad.  I totally missed all of this mad for some reason when it was originally posted, so thanks for bumping, whoever.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #44 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
The difference between whether you find 3.5 or Pathfinder more fucked up depends upon what type of gaming group you have and what type of DM you have.

If you were a powergamer with a shitty DM, then Pathfinder is the one that's fucked up.
If you were gaming to have fun instead of gaming to win, or if you have a good DM, then 3.5 is the one that's fucked up.

Squelch wants to blame PF for the fact that his gaming group wants to WIN D&D and the DM of their game doesn't know how to stop them from doing under the different rules.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #45 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 2:14pm
Print Post  
Remember, he was one of the people arguing that the original eSoS was not overpowered.
'Nuff said.

IP Logged

Cleavon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 5:36am:
You should play 2.0.  It is the best, always.

I actually have the most experience with Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2nd edition. 

I started in on that at like, 13 maybe.  Played that until 3.5 came out, then waffled between the two for a year until my gaming group fully converted me.

I do pine for the old days sometimes but hey.  Pathfinder is pretty damn sweet, I think.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 4:57am:
It still sucks balls.

So do I, but you still like me.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #48 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
Quote:
So do I, but you still like me.

Grin

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #49 - Sep 23rd, 2011 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
3.5 was so much better than 2.0.  Dear God, the complete books.  And I had much more experience with 2nd than 3.5.  Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Send TopicPrint