Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) Anyone else trying out Pathfinder? (Read 8419 times)
Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Re: Anyone else trying out Pathfinder?
Reply #50 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 12:25am
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 10:46pm:
3.5 was so much better than 2.0.  Dear God, the complete books.  And I had much more experience with 2nd than 3.5.  Tongue

3.5 is bullshit.  2.0 is numero uno.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #51 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 12:57am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Sep 24th, 2011 at 12:25am:
3.5 is bullshit.  2.0 is numero uno.

This.
Well, maybe I wouldn't go so far as to say that 3.x was bullshit, but 2nd ed was most definitely better.  More confusing for a newbie maybe, but definitely better.
The problem with 3.x was that they tried to create rules for every situaiton, which turned it into a lawyering game.  2nd ed didn't have that problem.  There were general rules for things, but much of it was left to the DM to adjudicate, which kept the game from being broken.

Example:
In 2nd ed, in most situations the DM would make a decision and the players would have to go with it, and thus continue playing.
In 3.x the DM would make a decision and the players would open their book(s) to page xXx and argue with that decision based on some other rule or flavor text, which would grind the game to a halt.

2nd ed was about the game.  3.x was about the rules.  This makes 2nd ed strictly superior in my eyes.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #52 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 1:35am
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Sep 24th, 2011 at 12:57am:
2nd ed was about the game.  3.x was about the rules.  This makes 2nd ed strictly superior in my eyes.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #53 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 4:13am
Print Post  
That boils down to "The rules were shittier, so the DM got to make up more shit."  Which means the perfect RPG is an empty box.  But since we're playing with someone else's rules, it's good that said rules be consistent. 

You just need a solid rule.  Two minutes is the maximum length of any argument about any rule at all, the DM will judge on the fly, and if you really have a problem with the interpretation of a rule then you can argue about it after the session so it's adjudicated your way in the future. 

It's not much more difficult to try to grind a session to a halt with 2nd ed rules lawyering - hell, it's a bit easier when you consider how often there are contradictory passages in all of the shitty supplements that ruined 2nd ed worse than Unearthed Arcana ruined 1st ed.  Tongue

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #54 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 4:19am
Print Post  
When I was DM, arguments went like this, "Seeing as I am DMing, my way goes.  When you DM, your way goes.  See how that works? Now shut the fuck up and deal with it."

My view is pretty clear, if you want to argue rules with the DM, maybe you should be running the next campaign.  Although, this typically works for me because the people I played with knew I hate DMing.  Sooner it finished, sooner I could get back to pwning their campaigns... and their lovable book characters they introduced Wink

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #55 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 4:24am
Print Post  
Talking to people here makes me feel so good about the gaming group I grew up with.  So friggin good.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #56 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 6:13am
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Sep 24th, 2011 at 4:24am:
Talking to people here makes me feel so good about the gaming group I grew up with.  So friggin good. 

I've only had a couple of good ones.  Coincidentally, this was when I was in Colorado and in Texas.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Reply #57 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 4:02pm
Print Post  
Cleavon wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 4:02am:
Hot damn.  Sorry I missed this thread.  Maybe I should check the vault more often.  I mean, I'm literally having to Necro this shit.  Damn.

THREAD.  COME FORTH AND RISE FOR ANOTHER DAY.

To sum this all up.  Fuck that hater.  Right in his ass.

Pathfinder is a far richer, and streamlined version of 3.5, it still has power problems, but as in every game....it's up to the DM and the players to have fun with the rules system, not turn it over and shake it until the broken shit falls out.

Wurd.

I see that I have gotten unbusy and returned at the right time.

First of all, Hi Welcome to Godh. Seems you do have an account here after all. As the alternative is to believe there are two fucks that delusional in the world, you will henceforth be known as Godh. However we do not believe in invisible sky faeries, so there shall be no bowing down.

Second, the only thing that Pathfinder succeeds at is Finding the Path to the land of Fail Forever and Go Fuck Itself. Unfortunately after finding it it quickly gets lost and wanders out to bother the rest of us again.

Third... ok, I'll grant you be a full caster playing a specific and narrow style or GTFO is streamlined. I don't think that's what you meant though, as you are under the delusional impression that Pathfailure is good for anything other than putting a warning label on the flower sniffers of the PnP community and giving cheap laughs to the intelligent, worthwhile players. You know, kinda like gimps in DDO. Except with less greasing into lava.

Oakianus wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 12:02pm:
Wow, I'm really glad that I got to see this mad.  I totally missed all of this mad for some reason when it was originally posted, so thanks for bumping, whoever. 

Contemptuous dismissal of useless fuckwit =/= anger. Hi Welcome

Cale wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 2:06pm:
The difference between whether you find 3.5 or Pathfinder more fucked up depends upon what type of gaming group you have and what type of DM you have.

If you were a powergamer with a shitty DM, then Pathfinder is the one that's fucked up.
If you were gaming to have fun instead of gaming to win, or if you have a good DM, then 3.5 is the one that's fucked up.

Squelch wants to blame PF for the fact that his gaming group wants to WIN D&D and the DM of their game doesn't know how to stop them from doing under the different rules.

Basket Weaver - 1 draws near! Command?

>Summon user Phone Lobster

Quote:
He is couching his claims in the foundations of backpedaling and vaguery. It's a common maneuvre of Basket Weaver types. If you say nothing concrete you can't be faulted... right?

The fact of the matter is this guy is a typical Basket Weaver.

He lies and lies and lies. He talks big about how he is special and different and how his group does these better more gentlemanly things. And yet his claims are transparent, when pressured we discover many of his claims are pure bullshit and he admits he doesn't actually do it the way he first said he did.

And many of his other positions are so arrogant it is laughable, "I am in the elite group of gamers who..." and then he is rambling on about something no one cares about because everyone everywhere does that too.

Totally out of context? Yes. Entirely applicable anyways? Also yes.

If you are a gimp, and you play 3.5, you die over and over and over again.
If you are a gimp, and you play PF, you die over and over and over again.

The difference between the two comes from what qualifies you as a gimp. Being a basket weaver certainly does, but so does playing the wrong class or type of character. The list of Godh builds in Pathfailure is a hell of a lot longer. That means there's a whole lot more gimps dying. And interestingly enough, being dead means not playing, and thereby not having fun.

You see, the fact of the matter is the people that claim to like Pathfailure aren't even really playing Pathfailure. They're playing some Calvinballesque bullshit, calling it Pathfailure, and saying that Pathfailure is worth something. The people that are looking at the actual rules of course realize how things work. And upon knowing how they work, they then proceed to play a game that doesn't suck. If they're generous, they warn others not to play it, because it sucks.

PS: "Winning" Pathfailure is incredibly easy. All you have to do is select Cleric, Druid, Sorcerer, or Wizard, stack all the free DC boosting stuff and proceed to automatically defeat any and every combat you encounter. It's so easy in fact that it's entirely brainless. So even if your strawman had any merit, and it does not, it has just been burned down. Or you can just use any of the 3.5 tricks. They're still there, and in many cases are more broken.

Oh, but I'm not done yet. There are two other gems.

1: "Squelch was one of the ones saying that eSoS was not overpowered." Without remembering the context behind that a weapon you grind for that long had damn well better be good, particularly when it's aimed at a style that at the time was markedly inferior. Otherwise, why grind it out? Cale whined like a little bitch because he did not, and still has not grasped that MMOs are a powergamer's paradise which means that here, HE is the one that is the Stop Having Fun Guy. But the fact of the matter is that it's quite fine to have uber gear for an inferior style be worth the trouble.

2: "2nd ed was about the game.  3.x was about the rules.  This makes 2nd ed strictly superior in my eyes. "

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

This thread just got incredibly epic.

You have no idea how badly you have just fucked yourself over there Mr. Basket Weaver.

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #58 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Sep 24th, 2011 at 4:02pm:
Contemptuous dismissal of useless fuckwit =/= anger. Hi Welcome

Yes, but pathetically longwinded horseshit from someone who's clearly been studying my posts tends to point toward not just you being mad, but you allowing it to build up a good bit.  It was pretty awesome, especially all of the really pathetically incorrect assumptions.  Feel free to contact Alex about membership in my fanclub.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #59 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Sep 24th, 2011 at 4:08pm:
Yes, but pathetically longwinded horseshit from someone who's clearly been studying my posts tends to point toward not just you being mad, but you allowing it to build up a good bit.  It was pretty awesome, especially all of the really pathetically incorrect assumptions.  Feel free to contact Alex about membership in my fanclub.  Cheesy 

The difference between me and you is that I am a successful troll, and that I only tick off idiots and the people I target as opposed to everyone.

You are but a cheap source of amusement, to be used and discarded with an optional dollar bill and nothing more.

When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #60 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Sep 24th, 2011 at 4:20pm:
The difference between me and you is that I am a successful troll,

Really?  Then why is it that I never even bother reading most of your blathering Stephen King style novella posts that ramble on for four pages about the color of a leaf?
If typing so much that your target decides to not even read your response is considered successful, then you sir are the most successful troll of all.
Well done.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #61 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Sep 24th, 2011 at 4:43pm:
Really?  Then why is it that I never even bother reading most of your blathering Stephen King style novella posts that ramble on for four pages about the color of a leaf?
If typing so much that your target decides to not even read your response is considered successful, then you sir are the most successful troll of all.
Well done.

Nah, that's because you're a fuckwit who will not, cannot, and will never make a single solid point at any time. Since you have no answer to this or any other correct argument, you instead spout your tired basket weaver/flower sniffer drivel everywhere.

Now go back to whining that people are powergaming in a powergamer's game.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #62 - Sep 24th, 2011 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Sep 24th, 2011 at 4:20pm:
The difference between me and you is that I am a successful troll, and that I only tick off idiots and the people I target as opposed to everyone.

You are but a cheap source of amusement, to be used and discarded with an optional dollar bill and nothing more.

Can you provide some examples of all of this successful trolling?  I have to admit that I haven't seen a bit of it.  Sad

IP Logged

Cleavon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #63 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 4:57am
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Sep 24th, 2011 at 4:02pm:
I see that I have gotten unbusy and returned at the right time.

First of all, Hi Welcome to Godh. Seems you do have an account here after all. As the alternative is to believe there are two fucks that delusional in the world, you will henceforth be known as Godh. However we do not believe in invisible sky faeries, so there shall be no bowing down.

Second, the only thing that Pathfinder succeeds at is Finding the Path to the land of Fail Forever and Go Fuck Itself. Unfortunately after finding it it quickly gets lost and wanders out to bother the rest of us again.

Third... ok, I'll grant you be a full caster playing a specific and narrow style or GTFO is streamlined. I don't think that's what you meant though, as you are under the delusional impression that Pathfailure is good for anything other than putting a warning label on the flower sniffers of the PnP community and giving cheap laughs to the intelligent, worthwhile players. You know, kinda like gimps in DDO. Except with less greasing into lava.

Welcome back Fucktard.

I have never seen someone say nothing, with so many words.

Love your work!
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2011 at 4:57am by Cleavon »  

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #64 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 8:15am
Print Post  
Cleavon wrote on Sep 25th, 2011 at 4:57am:
Welcome back Fucktard.

I have never seen someone say nothing, with so many words.

Love your work!

Oh hey Godh, how's it going? You got quite the nice cult there, what with Mr. Stick Up Ass and Mr. Basket Weaver. Will you cry now that I am abusing you?

IP Logged

Tobril
Honourary Australian

Hi Welcome

Reply #65 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Sounds like Hi Welcome has a shitty DM that can't make sure his players stay balanced in context with their challenges.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #66 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 1:38pm
Print Post  
Tobril wrote on Sep 25th, 2011 at 1:25pm:
Sounds like Hi Welcome has a shitty DM that can't make sure his players stay balanced in context with their challenges.

Hey look, more basket weaver drivel.

PF: A handful of God builds, everything else is a Godh build.
3.5: Same number of God builds, a lot fewer Godh builds. And quite a few builds that neither rofflestomp everything nor spontaneously soulstone simply by coming near an encounter. Not to mention that even the God builds are not unstoppable.

Which of these is more balanced again? Given your track record so far it's safe to say it's the opposite of whichever you pick.

Which of these is more entertaining? I'd say it's the one that has more than four character classes to play. But no, it must be my fault that terribad rules are indeed terribad.

Because that's just how they are. So much as imply that Pathfinder is anything less than perfect, and you get instant frothing nerdrage.

Mad props to SKR and friends though for putting a warning label on the bad players.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2011 at 1:40pm by Hi Welcome »  

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #67 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 1:48pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Sep 25th, 2011 at 1:38pm:
So much as imply that Pathfinder is anything less than perfect, and you get instant frothing nerdrage.

Yes, everyone else is raging, but you're totally calm.

Also, I assume this means you don't have any examples of this successful trolling?  Sad

IP Logged

Cale
Abbot Raider

Meh.... Drama

Reply #68 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 2:00pm
Print Post  
Tobril wrote on Sep 25th, 2011 at 1:25pm:

Is there an echo in here?

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #69 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 2:24pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Sep 25th, 2011 at 2:00pm:

I'm not sure, but I can definitely tell you that it sounds like Hi Welcome has a shitty DM who is awful at making sure that challenges are balanced with the party members.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #70 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Sep 25th, 2011 at 1:48pm:
Yes, everyone else is raging, but you're totally calm.

Of course. Random fuckers on the Internet are potentially amusing, and sometimes groan worthy, but that is the extent of the emotional response they deserve.

Quote:
Also, I assume this means you don't have any examples of this successful trolling?  Sad 

Remember kids, when a troll is truly successful their victims do not even realize they have been trolled.

PS: Come up with more original content than copy pasting basket weaver drivel. Weren't you just on Sardine for substituting an actual argument with copy pasta?

Meanwhile I'll be playing 3.5, which has more than 4 playable classes and more than one playable style for both the party and their opposition. Because if I wanted to godmode ezpk things that's what console gaming is for.

You should also consider not taking the same side as Cale/shadzar on anything. Just saying.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2011 at 3:55pm by Hi Welcome »  

IP Logged

Tobril
Honourary Australian

Hi Welcome

Reply #71 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Cale wrote on Sep 25th, 2011 at 2:00pm:

Sorry I'm late, no one forwarded me the Outlook appointment for correcting noob wanna-be-trolls.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2011 at 4:11pm by Tobril »  

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #72 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
Hi Welcome wrote on Sep 25th, 2011 at 3:54pm:
Of course. Random fuckers on the Internet are potentially amusing, and sometimes groan worthy, but that is the extent of the emotional response they deserve.

Remember kids, when a troll is truly successful their victims do not even realize they have been trolled.

PS: Come up with more original content than copy pasting basket weaver drivel. Weren't you just on Sardine for substituting an actual argument with copy pasta?

Meanwhile I'll be playing 3.5, which has more than 4 playable classes and more than one playable style for both the party and their opposition. Because if I wanted to godmode ezpk things that's what console gaming is for.

You should also consider not taking the same side as Cale/shadzar on anything. Just saying.

I was making a joke about the echo thing.  Do try to keep up.

And so you have zero examples of all of this 'clever trolling' you've been doing, as I asked twice and you dodged both times.  Thanks for playing.

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in

Reply #73 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Ah yes, the classic claim to be joking when called out. Let me guess, you will next confess that this is also some sort of social experiment?

Here, I'll ask you a question you and I already know the answer to. Do you actually give a shit about tabletop 3.x at all, or is this just your typical Dischordian bullshit getting outplayed nicely? The others at least actually believe the delusional drek they are spewing everywhere. I'm not sure if that's better or worse.

IP Logged

Cleavon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #74 - Sep 25th, 2011 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
This thread really is getting awesome.  I'm glad that I re-opened this can of worms.

I love listening to people say "A is clearly better than B, because I say so, and I give no backing what-so-ever to my statements"

Also, "my DM is a pud pulling fucktard, just like me!  It's awesome!"

I could quote this douchebag all day, and I'm not even important!  Holy fuck!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Send TopicPrint