Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Questions about ToD Elite (Read 11181 times)
Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Questions about ToD Elite
Aug 22nd, 2011 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Hey Everyone,

Tonight I'm leading a guild run of ToD elite.  We're beating Hard pretty easily, and want to get an elite in before it gets super hard.  Any tips?

Here's the plan:

Judge/Jailor:
Kill Judge in the lava by the gate so we don't get blown up into the spikes.
AC Tank will hold Jailor under the entrance platform.  This is new to us anyone have experience here?

Shadows:
WF wizard will tank the shadows, have a spare healer on him just in case.

Horoth/Suluu:
Standard plan, but no WF tank on Suluu.  That's just a guild preference.  Drop Suluu too.

Party Makeup:
AC/HP Tank
3x Healers
Bard
WF CC Arcane
5x DPS
light path monk (tentative, may be another DPS)

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Re: Questions about ToD Elite
Reply #1 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Aug 22nd, 2011 at 10:24am:
Hey Everyone,

Tonight I'm leading a guild run of ToD elite.  We're beating Hard pretty easily, and want to get an elite in before it gets super hard.  Any tips?

Here's the plan:

Judge/Jailor:
Kill Judge in the lava by the gate so we don't get blown up into the spikes.
AC Tank will hold Jailor under the entrance platform.  This is new to us anyone have experience here?

Shadows:
WF wizard will tank the shadows, have a spare healer on him just in case.

Horoth/Suluu:
Standard plan, but no WF tank on Suluu.  That's just a guild preference.  Drop Suluu too.

Party Makeup:
AC/HP Tank
3x Healers
Bard
WF CC Arcane
5x DPS
light path monk (tentative, may be another DPS)

Judge and Jailer:  On Elite, I like to pull to the two platforms on the right side from where you zone in.  1) There are less spikes, 2) The platforms are close enough that the healers/casters can support both if necessary.  From there you can just use the standard everyone on the Judge, one WF on the jailer getting reconned or a really solid WF caster can tank the jailer.

Shadows:  Like you said have a healer or caster backup heal but the Shadows hit about the same on all difficulties.  If the caster has the gear to tank them they should be fine.

Horuth/Sulu: Is just a battle of attrition/dps...  it just takes longer on Elite.  Finding a viable AC build on Elite will be more of a challenge.  High Necro DC's are really handy as the caster can then just handle the Orthons since you will have a fleshie tank on Sulu.

Obv, DR breakers and Mantles for Heals and Casters are a must.  LitII's don't cut it on Elite.
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2011 at 10:38am by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #2 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 10:44am
Print Post  
Live or Lamania?

We do live all the time, I think the area by the shrine is a death-trap.  We kill the Judge first by the doggie-doors off the to right and stand in the lava.  The spikes will KILL YOU, you're better off with the burnt feet.   The traps are by far the most dangerous part of this on teh current live servers.

Part 2:  Have one DPS hold aggro on the BFD while everyone else hits in the back, isn't relaly needed but keeps it easier to control in case stuff goes nuts.  Tanking the shadows works just fine.

Part 3:  We've used meat-bag tanks on Elite before but it's costly and doesn't seem to be possible next update so get int he habbit of not using them.  My 88 AC 740 HP tank still gets his ass kicked but it's not that hard on the healer, have the bard assist with scrolls just in case.  I consider a light monk mandatory for this on elite but I'm a fairly conservative player and my guild has a ton of them (they are better than dark monks anyway . . .).

Sulu . . . my same 88 AC 740 HP fighter makes Elite Sulu his bitch every time (we usually use my fighter on Sulu when we do elite and put a different Stalwart on Horoth).  We usually get him dead in 7-8 haste boosts.

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 10:56am
Print Post  
Live, not Lammania.

As for the gate we're actually right up against it in the lava, not on the platform.  We get tossed into the air, but the ledge knocks us down before we get into the spikes.  I think the spot you are talking about is where we were thinking of killing the judge, but I'm not sure where it is exactly.  Another candidate spot it under the ledge on the stairs.  That might work well since we could put all of our healers on the platform.

I'm not worried about part 2 if the shadows don't hit any harder.  Our caster is pretty well geared out to tank.

Part 3 sounds interesting.  I may have to switch our Horoth and Suluu tank, but I'd prefer not to.  Decisions, decisions.

We've run it on elite before, but not in a long time since there is no incentive.  I am not sure how some of the subtle changes in method will shake out.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 11:15pm
Print Post  
If your caster is decent, and you can handle the trash in pt1 without CC, just have him dot up and kite the orthon upstairs on the platform where you start. As long as you keep kiting him around that hole in the middle of the platform you're safe - he only throws if you allow him to get into melee range (that hole seems to trick his pathing a bit, he very very rarely teleports, and if he does you usually have enough time to step away)

IP Logged

JakLee
Bailiff

Monotremes and Money

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
about half my TOD compmletions on my FvS human healer have been on elite.  I am a bit rusty on my healing as I have been playing offensive casters, barbs, fighters, ect lately, and i still go in and duo heal with PUGs and have only failed 1 time.  Not saying I am an uber healer by any stretch, but it can be done with only a pot or two if needed and burning a few scrolls

from Preamus: Quote:
at least i'm agnostic so while I "think" you're full of crap I don't "know" you're full of crap

Strakeln wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:37pm:
JakLee will be the bailiff.  He's got a stun gun and everything.

Have you seen my platypus?
There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who need closure.

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #6 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
The Judge/Jailor fight was the one that was rough.  We got past that on our third try, then (relatively) sailed on to the end.

Part I:
We got stuck here for a while.  The first time was a communication thing.  I didn't explain strategy very well.  Sticking our best tank on the jailor was a bad idea.  In the end our arcane kited the jailor up top while we beat down the judge on the bottom.  At first we tried to take the judge under the entry point, so that when we got pushed up in the air we would hit the walkway.  That didn't work so well, so we wound up tanking him by the gate.

Part II:
No noticable difference in shadow tanking, other than in the end there were a lot of shadows.  Our WF wizard did need some healer support at the end.  Beating down the BFD was a piece of cake.

Part III:
Abandoned Suluu after our Suluu tank died.  I kited on my rogue, but one of our clerics was having healing issues.  Six (6!) deaths in here.  Brute force though, and we killed Horoth.  Two rings, Gnawed and Morah's.  Our AC tank was getting missed about 50% with a mid 80's AC.

We're doing a debrief on it, but for now I don't see any reason to run elite.

IP Logged

whothefuckami
Stormreaver Piker

Oppan Gangnam Style

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Keep working on elite, you'll get there.

And keep the Orthons under control in p3. At all costs.

Troll account, please ignore

IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 3:34am
Print Post  
Basic strategy is ok, but this is what I have fleshed it out to (only have issues when people do not listen or start pt1 before I have explained it). This is how I lead Hard and Elite (we have access to a few ac builds):

Pt1:

Reliable caster or spare healer kite jailor, other caster/s on trash. Maybe a monk or other evasion dps and 1 healer if not enough casters. Trash killers drop down and clear trash while everyone else waits up top. This avoids stray fireballs killing bard/healer etc.

Once the ellies are dead, ALL casters dot/kite the jailor and clear doggy trash.
Safer than tanking him and caster aggro on the Judge is a horrid waste of time and resources.

Fight the Judge in the west or south doggy room. Healers cycle mass protection from elements. Use fire absorb gear if possible (greaves, trinket, cloak of ice). When the room opens, move inside. This keeps max dps on the boss and no one dies due to spikes. Very very easy to heal if you cycle mass protection elements.

Pt2:

Standard. I Tank on my wizard, most others kite. This is where you REALLY find out if you will kill Sulu or skip him. Last Elite run I did we skipped Sulu as a heap of people brought less than their best toons. When you cannot see your WF while tanking shadows, it's time to skip Sulu.

Pt3:

90+ac tank with 600+ hp on Horoth. 2 healers scroll healing will end up with SP left depending on Sulu party DPS.

ac tank on Sulu too, otherwise WF tank with 1 caster 1 bard scroll reconning, and 2nd caster on trash. Scroll recon arcane can wail/circle of death orthons easily at Sulu party.

We have used a Human Barbarian with max heal amp, hamstring and 800+hp to tank Elite Horoth too, this works pretty well. Hamstring is the key, along with heal amp.

I would always put the top DPS on Sulu, WF Barb or fighter with brute fighting and high DPS will need no time to build aggro. Best option if you have 2 or 3 casters.

I would always make sure you have the 2 tank roles sorted out first. If 2 ac tanks you can get away with 1 arcane. If WF 2 casters is ideal, unless you have a 3rd healer to kite/implode/destruct the Orthons instead.
Just make sure you have this sorted, pt1 roles will flow down from pt3 roles.

I had some whingers when I was running pt1 Normal ToD like Elite, but now we do Hard/Elite I get no complaints.

I am still new to running Elite ToD, but I feel I have a pretty decent strategy now.

I can only hope the new raids will allow AC tanking too.

EDIT: CLOUDKILL MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU CAST IT!! Cloudkill is an awesome way to save mana pots and close calls. Make the arcane/s cast it. Standard in a lot of raids but way too many forget.
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2011 at 3:43am by Felgor »  

Proud Leader & official Gimp of Crimson Eagles on Khyber
Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor WF FvS 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 18 - Splatsplat 18/2 DoSIII

IP Logged

Sham
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Random Effects
on Named Loot! - No one
ever

Reply #9 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 5:26am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Aug 22nd, 2011 at 10:37am:
Horuth/Sulu: Is just a battle of attrition/dps...  it just takes longer on Elite.  Finding a viable AC build on Elite will be more of a challenge.  High Necro DC's are really handy as the caster can then just handle the Orthons since you will have a fleshie tank on Sulu.

It's pretty obvious you don't play a caster. You can't necro orthons in part 3 of tod. However, enervate + fts works nicely.
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2011 at 5:27am by Sham »  

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 5:32am
Print Post  
You miss me yet?  Tongue

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #11 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 5:47am
Print Post  
Sham wrote on Aug 23rd, 2011 at 5:26am:
It's pretty obvious you don't play a caster. You can't necro orthons in part 3 of tod. However, enervate + fts works nicely.

Since U9 you can.

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

Sham
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Random Effects
on Named Loot! - No one
ever

Reply #12 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 5:58am
Print Post  
Calvet wrote on Aug 23rd, 2011 at 5:47am:
Since U9 you can.

Are you positive, specifically orthons in part 3?

I went and checked u9 release notes to see if maybe true.

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #13 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 6:04am
Print Post  
When they removed all the immunities in Epics, it affected a lot of other content as well.  I'm not sure if this was WAI, but places like Tor, Reavers refuge and TOD part 3 for example all now allow death spells. 

When I'm healing on my Fvs, I pop off an implosion every now and then if the Trash is on my back.

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

Sham
Stormreaver Piker

I Love Random Effects
on Named Loot! - No one
ever

Reply #14 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 6:08am
Print Post  
Hmmm... good to know. Got confirmation from someone in game. Seems to be obvious I haven't done TOD since u9. Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2011 at 6:09am by Sham »  

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Inkblack wrote on Aug 22nd, 2011 at 11:20pm:

Other than epeen, there really are none. Unless you have all the rings you want but are lacking trophies (ya right  Cheesy)

And yea, orthons in tod pt3 can be instakilled post-u9. FtSing them makes absolutely no sense now, just a waste of SP as your DCs will likely be lower than necro and people will attacked stoned orthons anyway Grin They're still immune to mind effects though so you can't PK them, but finger/circle/wail/pwk all work

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #16 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 9:58am
Print Post  

You obviously haven't played since U9 jackass.  You might want to get out a bit and learn the game.
« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2011 at 9:59am by Eladiun »  

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Reply #17 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 10:22am
Print Post  
some things out in amrath still have the taint of shavarath or whatever it is. i cant figure out why some quests do and some dont... exact same enemies too. everything in sins can be charmed, danced, instant killed. but none of the devils (orthons and tieflings could) in bastion could be. this part of some lore/story or bugged?

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #18 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 10:35am
Print Post  

The reason; practice.  You don't get better if you don't push yourself.  Elite ToD is a good challenge for a solid guild group.  It forces you to work as a team and practice resource management that is useful elsewhere.  I wouldn't want to do it all the time or with every group but it's a solid test that gives you a feeling of accomplishment when complete.  Plus, there is that minute increase in odds for a +4.

Felgor wrote on Aug 23rd, 2011 at 3:34am:
EDIT: CLOUDKILL MOTHERFUCKER DO YOU CAST IT!! Cloudkill is an awesome way to save mana pots and close calls. Make the arcane/s cast it. Standard in a lot of raids but way too many forget.

So true, it's complacency.  Things become so easy and routine that people stop doing the basic things that help preserve resources.

Quote:

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #19 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 11:19am
Print Post  

it does put hair on your balls.  True story, I swear.

IP Logged

apep
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #20 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 11:24am
Print Post  
With an AC tank, waves of exhaustion would have been a useful thing for the arcane to prep.

IP Logged

someguy
Titan Demolisher

not really a drama fan

Reply #21 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 11:43am
Print Post  
have someone use a strength sapping weapon as well and/or hamstring. you'll have horoth your bitch in no time.

IP Logged

Joe User
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #22 - Aug 23rd, 2011 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
I've tanked elite Horoth before - my Pali DoS AC tank can hit 96 AC with CE on dual wielding, around 650hp.  Smites and the Pali Divine ability for +100% hate gen pretty much ensures keeping agro.

Things like CK help, waves if you can land it, hamstring if it still works.

It's more the dots/badges that are troublesome.  Elite means they do more damage, and at a kinda low 650hp it means I need to be fairly full health if I were to roll a 1 on disintegrate.  (Raid saves are all 40+)

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #23 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 8:22am
Print Post  
mid 80's AC.

You need an AC in the 90's for elite tod.  Well, in order to not get hit.  I think it was 92? 94? I can't remember, I scrapped my ac build long ago.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #24 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 8:22am
Print Post  

Yes you can.  Have you played a caster in part 3 of ToD?

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint