Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Turbine store and Hurricane Irene (Read 7618 times)
flynnjsw
Shroud Slacker

F U All!!!!!!

Re: Turbine store and Hurricane Irene
Reply #25 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Aug 26th, 2011 at 9:11pm:
You think that the possibility of a Cat 1/2 hurricane going through NYC can possibly be overhyped?  lol.  It's probably not going to be as bad as it could be, but it could certainly be catastrophic. 

And it "could be" no more than a bit extra wind and a half inch of rain. Why bother getting all tied up about what could be?

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Because it's important to be properly prepared and to keep a close eye on what's coming down the pike, of course.  That's sort of what the news is for.

IP Logged

Chelos
Korthos Resident

Secretly plotting Mr.
Burns style. Excellent....

Reply #27 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
I just got 5 calls from the same emergency service recorded message warning me to bring in any loose items on the lawn and not to use 911 for anything but emergencies.

I been hearing DOOM to the point this surfaced on the web:

Its to the point people are constantly talking about it, tweeting, and blogging but no evacuation order is given.

If its that prominent I expect to hear an evacuation call to the general public or sound advice on how to board up windows on a house with vinyl siding.

I hear neither.

All I hear is

IP Logged

Sirea
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Aug 26th, 2011 at 9:33pm:
Because it's important to be properly prepared and to keep a close eye on what's coming down the pike, of course.  That's sort of what the news is for. 

Man, thanks for letting me know I should be prepared for a big storm. I was planning on windsurfing off my roof in my underwear. Good thing you're here to talk some sense into me  Shocked

IP Logged

JakLee
Bailiff

Monotremes and Money

Reply #29 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Hordo wrote on Aug 26th, 2011 at 8:58pm:
Now go and suck yourself off.

pretty sure that isn't kosher Rabi
Tongue

from Preamus: Quote:
at least i'm agnostic so while I "think" you're full of crap I don't "know" you're full of crap

Strakeln wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:37pm:
JakLee will be the bailiff.  He's got a stun gun and everything.

Have you seen my platypus?
There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who need closure.

IP Logged

transtemporal
Korthos Resident

Reply #30 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Aug 26th, 2011 at 7:54pm:
lol, you guys really can't see how this is a bit tasteless?

I think it's funny and I'm probably going to be homeless Sunday when that fucker's done tearing up NC, but that's because I like tasteless humor.  Tongue

Maybe a bit, but that's the way black humour works.

IP Logged

flynnjsw
Shroud Slacker

F U All!!!!!!

Reply #31 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 11:19pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Aug 26th, 2011 at 9:33pm:

Being prepared is one thing. Getting butthurt over Turbine having a promotion is another. Until"news" actually just "reports" instead of sensationalizes, then it's all worthless anyway.

IP Logged

Nevynn
Horoluth Raider

Badgertastic!!

Reply #32 - Aug 26th, 2011 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
Sirea wrote on Aug 26th, 2011 at 10:17pm:
Man, thanks for letting me know I should be prepared for a big storm. I was planning on windsurfing off my roof in my underwear. Good thing you're here to talk some sense into me  Shocked

Pics or it didn't happen.

WWWGTalk  
IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 6:06am
Print Post  
shit now the thread in the drama forums looks redundant.

Oh well.

IP Logged

deftest
Titan Demolisher

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 7:08am
Print Post  
wasnt offended by sale  but thought it was pretty fuckin stupid and not really funny at all.black humour would have been like 50% off raise dead and water breathing scrolls,-25% off teleport items and free water elementals. the shit they posted was humour like that retard at work tells you and you laugh just cause your trying to get along
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2011 at 7:14am by deftest »  

IP Logged

Joe User
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #35 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Chelos wrote on Aug 26th, 2011 at 9:47pm:
If its that prominent I expect to hear an evacuation call to the general public

'If you haven’t left you should leave now,' Mayor Bloomberg says

Mayor Michael Bloomberg ordered the first mandatory evacuation ever in New York. More than 370,000 people were told to be out by 5 p.m. from low-lying areas on the fringes of the city, mostly in Lower Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44298193/ns/weather/t/nyc-officials-say-around-peopl...

It's just poor form to incorporate any natural disaster into a game.  Especially when there's a chance of people losing their life.

As of the news right now...

"Seven dead as Hurricane Irene edges into Virginia"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/44297053/ns/weather/t/seven-dead-hurricane-irene-edg...

I hear a volcano just blew in Hawaii, pick up your "Wands of Fireball" and Potions of Fire protection while they last!

Why don't they offers some "Potions of cleansing" for everyone affected by the BP oil spill.

You wanna see some epic drama, go post some shit on a news forum about how a game you play just offered items in game referring to the storm - that is if you wanna see some people get really fucking bent.

When a storm or something like this happens, and there's NO chance of it doing something good, best to not reference it.

Personally, I couldn't care less, and I think it's funny to watch some people get as spun up as they do, but I do think it's poor form.
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2011 at 8:29pm by Joe User »  

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #36 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Chelos wrote on Aug 26th, 2011 at 9:47pm:
Its to the point people are constantly talking about it, tweeting, and blogging but no evacuation order is given.

If its that prominent I expect to hear an evacuation call to the general public or sound advice on how to board up windows on a house with vinyl siding.

Followup:
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=irene+evacuations

How to board up windows for a hurricane:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,1210347,00.html
http://www.glassdoctor.com/blog/hurricane-prep-how-to-properly-board-up-windows/

As far as I know, there were no mandatory evacuations in PA, but there have been in NC, NJ, NY, CT and RI.  I expect that there were mandatory evacuations in some areas of MD, and DE, but I don't know for sure if there were.

The biggest problem with Irene isn't really the regular hurricane wind/water problems.  It's the fact that we're already full up with water before it made landfall.  Our rivers and reservoirs are full and the ground is fully saturated.  We're going to lose a whole lot of trees just because the ground is already soggy and soft.  And the water doesn't have anywhere to go, so we'll see flooding after even an inch of water.  We've seen repeated flooding over the past couple of weeks just with our ordinary rain.

I don't expect that this will be another Agnes, but it at least has the potential for that.

fnord

IP Logged

Chelos
Korthos Resident

Secretly plotting Mr.

Reply #37 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
Quick thing to note: I do not live in NYC.

There were no evacuations for my home state of CT.

Just because you can find said info on the internet does not necessarily mean it pertains to me.

The latest projections show....water....and wind....weak enough that as long as you aren't doing something stupid like going out unnecessarily (or surfing) and are staying indoors...you are fine. Might have the sump pump go down if we were to lose power but nothing I couldn't jury-rig.

7 people out out millions is just the statistical probability of someone doing something stupid.

Just because officials panic and go with the flow doesn't make things dire. CNN and the weatherchannel have been on the TV nonstop [upstairs]. Overall, its just an inconvenience.

No where near the amount of doom it was hyped to be.

And thus, that is why Turbine's joke of a sale is funny.
Its satire kids!
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2011 at 10:03pm by Chelos »  

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #38 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 10:16pm
Print Post  
Chelos wrote on Aug 27th, 2011 at 10:01pm:

I misspoke.  He "evacuated" all state parks, etc., but the closest that he came to a mandatory evacuation was declaring a state of emergency so that he would have the power to require evacuations if it was needed later.  I didn't read closely enough and was mislead by the newspaper article title, "Connecticut, Rhode Island join Hurricane Irene evacuation list".

Quote:
Just because you can find said info on the internet does not necessarily mean it pertains to me.

Well, when you see a newspaper article that says, "Connecticut, Rhode Island join Hurricane Irene evacuation list", that probably does pertain to someone who lives in CT.  It was a shitty title since it's not actually accurate, but it does pertain to you.

Quote:
The latest projections show....water....and wind....weak enough that as long as you aren't doing something stupid like going out unnecessarily (or surfing) and are staying indoors...you are fine. Might have the sump pump go down if we were to lose power but nothing I couldn't jury-rig. [quote]

As long as you are indoors in a home that is high enough.  Some people live in flood prone areas.  Never understood why people choose to build there and I don't understand why I'm expected to pay to rebuild their house over and over and over again, but that's the law as it stands now.

[quote]Just because officials panic and go with the flow doesn't make things dire. CNN and the weatherchannel have been on the TV nonstop [upstairs]. Overall, its just an inconvenience.

No where near the amount of doom it was hyped to be.

And thus, that is why Turbine's joke of a sale is funny.
Its satire kids!

The actual projections and the actual statements that the various governors are making so far seem pretty reasonable and sound to me so far.  The talking heads on cable news obviously will blow it out of proportion, but that's kind of their job.

I think that Turbine's sale is both funny and offensive.  Unfortunately, it's more offensive than it is funny, because on a scale from 1 to 10, it scores a 3 on the offensive meter, but only a 2 on the funny meter.  I mean, even Andrew Dice Clay managed to be more funny than offensive and if you can't get a better ratio than Andrew Dice Clay, that's pretty fucking weak.

Turbine does do some really funny stuff sometimes.  Mentau the Fleshmaker is awesome.  The Rakshasa "kk omg lol" is great.  This sale is just sad.
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2011 at 10:16pm by popejubal »  

fnord

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #39 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
A large part of the low fatalities comes from the fact that it's made so very clear that this is a massive deal and you should stay in and hunker down.  That's a testament to preparedness and people listening to evacuation orders.

It's also been good luck so far.  The only tornado that I've heard striking so far was a waterspout.  Flooding wasn't too bad down here either, but we've been under drought conditions rather than the rain that's been going on up north.

Like I said, I enjoy a tasteless joke as much as the next guy.  But "There's no evacuation order for my area, so it's nothing to worry about" has got to be some of the shittiest logic I have ever seen.  Especially when the actual statement the argument is predicated on is wrong, because there have been shoreline evacuations in CT already.  Sad  http://www.wptz.com/r/29002131/detail.html

IP Logged

Chelos
Korthos Resident

Secretly plotting Mr.

Reply #40 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Sigh.

Please do read the articles you guys link me.

The ONLY evacuation is in Fairfield. My city is the coastline. I live less than 5 miles from the coast...far closer than Fairfield is for the most part. Fairfield is considered one of the well-to-do areas of CT, along with Greenwich.

The news isn't whats protecting people from these "massive potential deaths". Its common sense.

Like I said, Turbine joked, and most of the people who are in the wake of this agree: It was made out far worse than it is, was, or could be, by the media. The Northeast knows when to hold em, fold em, and laugh when its weather related. The media, as a whole, does not.

IP Logged

Chelos
Korthos Resident

Secretly plotting Mr.

Reply #41 - Aug 27th, 2011 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
For the record:

Advising caution and common sense is not tantamount to doom-saying. They are inherently 2 different means to a end.

What was broadcast: DOOM + constant cuts to the street with a reporter to remind us its bad

(Pro-tip: we know what water looks like, we know how wind works, stop putting those people on the street unless they intend to actually help people who need it)

What should have been broadcast: Don't be doing stupid things. Use the surprisingly uncommon, common sense.

I'm pro common sense in all cases. I'm also pro laughter.

People need to lighten up and do what needs to be done, not because the man on the talkie box made it sound like Godzilla was coming but because they looked into it, compared it to past relevant experiences, and act in a sane and rational manner.
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2011 at 11:28pm by Chelos »  

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #42 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 1:56am
Print Post  
Chelos wrote on Aug 27th, 2011 at 10:01pm:

Sigh.

Please do read your own posts, fuckstick.  You said there were no evacuations for your home state.  People were evacuated in your home state.  You're a moron who can't remember his own words, and should probably gather up a bit of that common sense before banging on about it for so long.

IP Logged

rev Jim
American Azog

I GOT VEINS

Reply #43 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 2:30am
Print Post  
Chelos wrote on Aug 27th, 2011 at 11:24pm:
People need to lighten up and do what needs to be done, not because the man on the talkie box made it sound like Godzilla was coming but because they looked into it, compared it to past relevant experiences, and act in a sane and rational manner.

that's not what americans do.
deal with it.

Quote:
Rev. Jim.
He is the only guy here that posts quality, you should all learn from him.

IP Logged

whothefuckami
Stormreaver Piker

Oppan Gangnam Style

Reply #44 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 2:50am
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Aug 26th, 2011 at 8:01pm:
I keep trying to think of a good 9/11 joke based on something in the DDO store, but I got nothin.  Sad

Selling +4 Keen Daggers named Boxcutter?

Troll account, please ignore

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #45 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 2:55am
Print Post  
Make it a Holy Dagger of Smiting (the Pentagon's a construct, right?) and you've got yourself a deal.  Cheesy

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #46 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Chelos wrote on Aug 27th, 2011 at 11:11pm:
Sigh.

Please do read the articles you guys link me.

The ONLY evacuation is in Fairfield. My city is the coastline. I live less than 5 miles from the coast...far closer than Fairfield is for the most part. Fairfield is considered one of the well-to-do areas of CT, along with Greenwich.

The news isn't whats protecting people from these "massive potential deaths". Its common sense.

Like I said, Turbine joked, and most of the people who are in the wake of this agree: It was made out far worse than it is, was, or could be, by the media. The Northeast knows when to hold em, fold em, and laugh when its weather related. The media, as a whole, does not.

The news shows blow it out of proportion, but they blow EVERYTHING out of proportion.  How much relevance does a 3 year old that fell into a 12 foot dry well actually have on your life?  And yet, we'll still see three solid days of coverage when that happens (as long as the 3 year old is white).

The state governments and actual weather forecasters (i.e. real meteorologists and not the fluffy point-at-the-map-and-read-the-telepromoter chuckleheds) actually did a good job of making sure that they expressed the real dangers and warning people about what's coming without being rediculous drama queens.

fnord

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #47 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 3:17pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Aug 26th, 2011 at 7:54pm:
lol, you guys really can't see how this is a bit tasteless?

I think it's funny and I'm probably going to be homeless Sunday when that fucker's done tearing up NC, but that's because I like tasteless humor.  Tongue

I think you got the right word there.  It's not offensive.  There shouldn't be any outcry.  But it is tasteless.

I read the sale and thought to myself, "bad idea Turbine".  Then I went on with reading about more offensive ideas like not implementing Cannith favor for U11 essentially making Artificers a pay only class and therefore had somewhere else to nerd rage. Wink

IP Logged

Chelos
Korthos Resident

Secretly plotting Mr.

Reply #48 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Aug 28th, 2011 at 1:56am:
Sigh.

Please do read your own posts, fuckstick.  You said there were no evacuations for your home state.  People were evacuated in your home state.  You're a moron who can't remember his own words, and should probably gather up a bit of that common sense before banging on about it for so long. 

1 rich town does not a state make. My grandmother, grandfather, aunt and uncle live in Fairfield. They were given no such directive when we talked on the phone prior to.

Would you have been happier if I said the word "mass" before evacuation?

As it happens...the only inconvenience I had as a coastal city was the power went out and thus I was unable to retort in a timely manner. Some of the smaller roads prolly have some minor flooding (like they do in any heavy rain) but for the most part....it was no worse than any other storm we have weathered before.

Oak, I recommend calming down. Picking at minutia for a moot point is silly. I expected a quick round of silliness similar to the forums followed by eye rolls for all.

As for the news: I agree that the actual weather channels did a bit better job at keeping some measure of level-headedness. Elected officials for my state....not as pretty.
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2011 at 7:41pm by Chelos »  

IP Logged

Chelos
Korthos Resident

Secretly plotting Mr.

Reply #49 - Aug 28th, 2011 at 7:57pm
Print Post  
Ah....here we go...

This sums up our weather better:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/weather