Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Abbot: a couple of questions (Read 6654 times)
Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

Abbot: a couple of questions
Sep 12th, 2011 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Since I know there's a few Abbot experts in here.

Attempting Abbot last night, I was the last one standing on my DI cleric. I had an ice wand equipped in my main hand and hotbarred ready and my potency item in my right. All was OK, until the last inferno, when I ran for the spot, clicked to cast the ice island, and .... nothing. No wand, and nothing in my hotbar. I only had the one, and DI had run out all unawares so I plummeted ignominiously to an acidic death. Bad Abbot.

My question is, where the hell did my wand go? I didn't die, so it wasn't that I dropped it when I died. I didn't attempt to use the thing before this point, but it was definitely there. I was encased at one point, would that have also caused it to drop?

My second question, given the trickiness of herding raid groups onto these pesky islands, is there anyone out there still healing through Inferno since the changes? We had 3 clerics in that run and I am wondering if that would be a better strategy still...

IP Logged

Jenovaa_Project
Dragon Raider

Re: Abbot: a couple of questions
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 4:39am
Print Post  
As far as what happened with the wand I'm not sure, but we all know the Abbot can be buggy so anything could have happened I suppose. 

As far as healing through infernos, due to the abbots much higher HP, unless the party wants to be drinking pots healing through infernos isn't such a great idea these days.  Melees however can easily take the inferno if they are drinking curse pots and fire protection pots, followed by an occasional Cure serious or Silver flame pot.

Personally I think the best choice is just get someone experienced with placing Ice platforms.  If for whatever reason it doesn't work, everyone can just start spamming curse and protection pots.  Casters can spam mass prots and healers can heal. 

The other reason I suggest Ice wands, is you should have 2 wands at least accessible so if one persons platform fails the other persons should be up.  If they both fail, then it is what is it Wink  However if there is a bug that is causing this to not work then it probably should be fixed.

Jen - Revenants: Khyber

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 4:42am
Print Post  
Still healing through on Argo. If people are drinking pots, they're not mentioning it.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 4:48am
Print Post  
Were you throwing 'roids at any point?  Not that it's terribly likely, but having something that goes in your weapon slot disappear during Abbot obviously makes me think 'roids.  Tongue

IP Logged

Anon
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 4:57am
Print Post  
I've never heard of this happenening before to be honest. Unless, as oak said, the roids have been known to bug out. No just when switching, for me, but also with switching multiple items before the item I have out dissapears.

Personally, I reject the platform method vehemently.. There will always be those few innatentive dumb fucks that dont listen and fuck something up which could cause a healer to panic at their death.

Nearly every death in DDO is due to a healer panicking.

IP Logged

Jenovaa_Project
Dragon Raider

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 5:04am
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 4:42am:
Still healing through on Argo. If people are drinking pots, they're not mentioning it.

If I'm leading and the abbot is close to death then I'll call heal through or if he's dropping extra fast but if there's an inferno early on I'd rather spend the 10 seconds to use the wands and save my sp pool.  How many infernos would you say you guys on Argo typically heal through in your average Abbot?
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2011 at 5:06am by Jenovaa_Project »  

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #6 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 5:18am
Print Post  
Okay, Jen, I must disagree with you on this.  The absolute best way to run abbot involves no stupid ice platforms where the fucks jump in the water instead, and no curse pots.

How the Ancients have been running abbot for quite awhile is this, on infernos everyone gathers, all 12 of you.  Casters spam break enchant, mass pro if they have it.  Divines spam heals, maybe break enchant as well depending on how many divines and casters you have.  Inferno doesn't do shit to your SP that way and the only SP you use is ~5 break enchants, ~5 mass cures, and maybe a couple mass pros though they are really unneeded.

Abbot, made easy.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #7 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 5:19am
Print Post  
Jenovaa_Project wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 5:04am:
If I'm leading and the abbot is close to death then I'll call heal through or if he's dropping extra fast but if there's an inferno early on I'd rather spend the 10 seconds to use the wands and save my sp pool.  How many infernos would you say you guys on Argo typically heal through in your average Abbot?

Three at most, he doesn't last much longer then that.  The recent bad one I have seen is five, but with the method I said earlier, it was a cakewalk - no deaths.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

whothefuckami
Stormreaver Piker

Oppan Gangnam Style

Reply #8 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 5:26am
Print Post  
Just wait till the Abbot calls Inferno, then put on your unsuppressed PLIS. After Inferno, take it off fast. Solved.

Troll account, please ignore

IP Logged

Jenovaa_Project
Dragon Raider

Reply #9 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 5:53am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 5:19am:
Three at most, he doesn't last much longer then that.  The recent bad one I have seen is five, but with the method I said earlier, it was a cakewalk - no deaths.

Ya I know healing through infernos is easy I was more interested in the no drinking pots through 3 of them haha.  I get it if everyone has ion stones and what not but those infernos suck up a good amount of sp each tick.  Either way a completion is a completion regardless of how you do it.  Wink

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #10 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 5:55am
Print Post  
Jenovaa_Project wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 5:53am:
Ya I know healing through infernos is easy I was more interested in the no drinking pots through 3 of them haha.  I get it if everyone has ion stones and what not but those infernos suck up a good amount of sp each tick.  Either way a completion is a completion regardless of how you do it.  Wink

I don't own a Ioun stone on any toon.  Like I said, just have the casters in the group sit on the abbot with the melee and clerics and cast break enchantment.  Curses removed and everyone lives happily ever after - and you get to keep your sp!

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Jenovaa_Project
Dragon Raider

Reply #11 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 5:56am
Print Post  
I must have missed that post epoch with the strategy.  If break enchantment fixes the sp drain then yea that sounds awesome.  I never knew that.  Wink. Thanks for the tip

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 6:15am
Print Post  
Jenovaa_Project wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 5:56am:
I must have missed that post epoch with the strategy.  If break enchantment fixes the sp drain then yea that sounds awesome.  I never knew that.  Wink. Thanks for the tip

Post 6.  Try it, it is fucking amazeballs.  Best strat I have used so far, melees keep beating him down instead of chugging pots means more dps, all the time.  Casters can usually fit in a disentigrate and healers can usually keep their divine punishment up as well this way without the freakout of who was able to remove curses and who wasn't. 

Less time rezzing is more time DPS.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are

Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 6:19am
Print Post  
Oakianus wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 4:48am:
Were you throwing 'roids at any point?  Not that it's terribly likely, but having something that goes in your weapon slot disappear during Abbot obviously makes me think 'roids.  Tongue 

Nope, I was on DI in ice duty. Definitely wasn't that.

It's interesting that healing through is still working. Definitely worth considering - I ended up soloing him down from about 30% to about 15% and a little bit of me wanted to stay put and see what the impact was rather than run for the ice. I'd have faceplanted spectacularly, because I had no fire absorbtion gear and my hotbar set up wouldn't have been right, but with a bit of planning and some fuck you Abbot gear (Firestorm greaves, 15% Fire ab TOD ring and Cloak of Ice) it sounds feasible.

Have you noticed any changes to Inferno since the upgrade, or is it just his main hit points that have gone up?

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 6:57am
Print Post  
You can solo abbot if you know him inside and out. 

Step 1, remove FF.

Step 2, Know how to time his encasments.

Step 3, Make sure you are falling in mid-air when he hits you with encasment.  Bam, you are falling to fast and it misses you. 

Step 4, ???

Step 5, Profit.

Also, why do people ask if healing through is still working, when wasn't it?  Just remember, break enchantment, same process, more hp, so it takes like a total 8~15 seconds longer.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are

Reply #15 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Most of the times I've done Abbot on Khyber it's been taken as a given that you can't heal through Inferno, so this is very interesting.

IP Logged

NotMyDDOName
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #16 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 7:56am
Print Post  
Did you check your inventory?  Maybe you just dragged it off your hotbar when using it.

I have to agree on healing through inferno.  More fails happen when people try doing the ice islands then when healing through inferno.

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #17 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Khyber is a bit... interesting right now in terms of Abbot. 

Most of the runs are being done via guild and channel.  And that's where the most experienced players are.  For the rest of us, we get to try and pug it.

My experience to date has been one training run lfm in which the party lead ragequit because people wouldn't listen.  And one completion last week where I learned the ice bridge will disappear from under your feet while taking cover from inferno.

A lot of times I enjoy the responses here from those in the know.  It's pretty helpful personally.  Now if I can only get past the *ding* blah blah blah declines you from joining their group things may get better for me.  To date, Abbott is the one raid I know very little about and have a hell of a time getting into on any of my toons.

IP Logged

Glenalth
Puppy Farmer

Not banned, just bored

Reply #18 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 11:06am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 6:57am:
You can solo abbot if you know him inside and out. 

Step 1, remove FF.

Step 2, Know how to time his encasments.

Step 3, Make sure you are falling in mid-air when he hits you with encasment.  Bam, you are falling to fast and it misses you. 

Step 4, ???

Step 5, Profit.

Also, why do people ask if healing through is still working, when wasn't it?  Just remember, break enchantment, same process, more hp, so it takes like a total 8~15 seconds longer.

Sprint Boost + circling while melee worked pretty well too, until I ran out of sprint boosts.

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #19 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Did an Abbot a week ago and we got hit with 7 Infernos.  We completed but it got annoying.  We always heal through.  I'd much rather chug a pot than take the chance that the ice platform isn't placed properly or bugs out and everyone dies on it.

IP Logged

Hordo
High Rabbi

Le Douchebag

Reply #20 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Done two Abbots on my cleric in the past week and a half and we did it both ways: Islands and Healing through.  Both were first-time successes with only two or three Infernos and I used, maybe, 5 pots between them.

I am the Rabbi, goo goo g'Jew!
Who doesn't <3 Gornn?
GORNN II 4:3:17 - For Gornn sent not Hordo into the world to save the party; but that the party through him might be wiped.
[QUOTE=404error;4155294]Hordo I don't want to steal you from these forums because your almost an icon here. ;p [/quote]
IP Logged

JakLee
Bailiff

Monotremes and Money

Reply #21 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 1:53pm
Print Post  
Madcow430 wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 8:00am:
Khyber is a bit... interesting right now in terms of Abbot. 

Most of the runs are being done via guild and channel.  And that's where the most experienced players are.  For the rest of us, we get to try and pug it.

My experience to date has been one training run lfm in which the party lead ragequit because people wouldn't listen.  And one completion last week where I learned the ice bridge will disappear from under your feet while taking cover from inferno.

A lot of times I enjoy the responses here from those in the know.  It's pretty helpful personally.  Now if I can only get past the *ding* blah blah blah declines you from joining their group things may get better for me.  To date, Abbott is the one raid I know very little about and have a hell of a time getting into on any of my toons.

I haven't really had any interest in doing Abbot for quite a time.  I ran a few when I was in Founders back in the day, but never completed (and honestly only really tried 2-3 times total).  To date, this is the only raid I have not completed.  I have at some point and time gotten everything else at elite/epic.  But honestly I don't see the obsession with Abbot, the few times I ran it the quest itself just didn't seem that fun....

from Preamus: Quote:
at least i'm agnostic so while I "think" you're full of crap I don't "know" you're full of crap

Strakeln wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:37pm:
JakLee will be the bailiff.  He's got a stun gun and everything.

Have you seen my platypus?
There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who need closure.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #22 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
JakLee wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 1:53pm:
I haven't really had any interest in doing Abbot for quite a time.  I ran a few when I was in Founders back in the day, but never completed (and honestly only really tried 2-3 times total).  To date, this is the only raid I have not completed.  I have at some point and time gotten everything else at elite/epic.  But honestly I don't see the obsession with Abbot, the few times I ran it the quest itself just didn't seem that fun....

I'm with you on this 100%.  I run it and when I'm done I ask myself why did I run it again.  I spend 80% of the time tabbed out and posting here. It's boring...  Got a completion last night to open up 400 SF favor, first run was a flukey fail...second a flukey win, 0 infernos.  Might as well just step in and roll a d100 under 70 you fail.
« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2011 at 2:01pm by Eladiun »  

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Belwaar
Shroud Slacker

Reply #23 - Sep 12th, 2011 at 1:59pm
Print Post  
JakLee wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 1:53pm:

The loot is great, and it's one of two raids (that I can think of) where if you screw up one part, you have to start all over again.  I'm looking at you Titan! (I <3 Titan btw)

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #24 - Sep 13th, 2011 at 5:43am
Print Post  
Glenalth wrote on Sep 12th, 2011 at 11:06am:
Sprint Boost + circling while melee worked pretty well too, until I ran out of sprint boosts.

Lol, yeah sprint boost works well.  On my FVS I would just fly away when I saw him casting encase.  15 second timer should be plenty to continue to do so.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint