Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Turbine (Read 9201 times)
Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Re: Turbine
Reply #50 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:10am
Print Post  
Quote:
I love fighting martial artists that go to only technique and show schools where they forget that sweeps, locks and grappling techniques aren't allowed in tournaments. They start complaining and I just shrug and say, "This is self defense, not look cool time".

Had a similar situation in BUD/s where I got picked to be the demonstration dummy 'cause I was the biggest person (like usual), and they heard I was into the martial arts. They wanted to make an example of me since they are used to the "tournement" practitioners and were going to show how all the "pretty stuff" was useless. I lasted 10 minutes before I admitted defeat, but ended up giving lessons to instructors after Hell week.

But we all know age and treachery beats youth and vigor, so I didn't feel too bad about losing.

The first time my current Sifu and I sparred so he could judge my skill level, I caught him with a body strike, ( for those not in the know, that is where you use the point of your shoulder with the whole force of your body mass to strike your opponent in the sternum. Done correctly, you can shatter a sternum with that manouvre), he immediately said I was not allowed to spar with anyone below black belt, but he uses me as a punching bag for the lower ranks to practice their technique, and for higher ranks to learn how to fight someone with an unorthodox or mixed style like mine.

It was a little different for me.  The drill instructor doing the combatives class was talking about combatives, blah blah.  Some girl started talking shit because her daddy was a black belt and she was as well.  Well.... she was called out by him.  He put on gloves and harassed her.  He stated that if she did beat him, she could have the next two days off.  Do whatever she wanted.  She wasn't buying it.  He ragged her and was trying to get her to slip those gloves on.  Eventually she started to, but she started crying and was putting the glove on wrong.  He then ragged her about that.  She broke down and started sobbing.  It was fricking hilarious.  Obviously we couldn't laugh until later, but still. 

This is where I come in.  My battle buddy, the fucker that slept on the bottom bunk, decided to pipe up in a loud voice, "Hey aren't you in the martial arts lastname?" I swore to myself.  The only reason he knew was because he used to be a boxer and we chit chatting about shit.  Fucker.  He asked me if I thought I could beat him, I responded saying something akin to, "If I did I would of already challenged you to find out my two days off is a lie."  He brought me out anyways and said, "Did you go to one of those flowery pissant schools?" "Yes drill sergeant"  So he had me put on the gloves saying I would be perfect for his example as to why those school were horrid.  I warned it wasn't great idea because I agreed with him fully.  We danced a little, then his arm slowed a little as he retraced his punch and I came in with it.  Punched him in the nose, grabbed the wrist and the upper forearm as I turned into him and threw him to the ground.  Unexpectedly to him I followed him to the ground with a knee to the guy knocking the air out of him.  I quickly stood up and took several steps back.  I broke two of his floating  ribs, left side.  He responded about me going to a flowery school, and I said, "I never said I took self defense to look pretty in a tournament.  In fact, I call that school the school of shame."

He was an engineer drill sergeant, the rest were infantry/rangers/sappers or some other such mix.  I then got to spar with two airborne infantry drill sergeants.  Then the sapper stepped out and I knew I was going to lose this one.  I wasn't winded enough to pretend that was the reason I lost despite my arrogance. 

I won't chat about Sifus, I have only had three that I respect, out of the 5 I have had.  Not many good schools in Alaska.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #51 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 7:38am
Print Post  
It also reminds of a time when I was helping one of the females get over her problems in a sparring ring.  She did just fine in the dojo, and the instructor at the school of shame is shit (yes is, he is still there as it is his school).  Anyways, I was talking to her about the mental effects she could have in the ring if she insisted on looking fearful.  To show her my point, when I went in the ring the guy against me was a showoff.  Well, I pretended to get hit in the chin with his kick, obviously falling down and shaking my head 3 seconds later as if, what happened?  Anyways, round two.  I go in pretending to be a little scared, threw a couple retarded punches, a strange kick for measuring.  He eats it all up and hops around like he is playing with me, poor sap.  He gets tired of " his game" and comes on to end the match - he was magically stopped by a front pressing kick which was followed up by a front snap kick to his chin.  He took 3 quick steps back just to see me in the air in front of him, doing a jump spinning sidekick to his chest and sending him flying out of the ring.   Round three.  He now looks at me queerly, round begins, I lead with a fake skip skipping sidekick.  As I predicted (people need to learn to move in their fighting stances without switching it, morons) he moved to my chest side, not my back.  I brought my leg back behind me and my front leg executed a light turning kick to his forearm.  Which allowed me the time to bring my leg back in to my chest and execute a piercing side kick to his advance.  Which dropped him.

I then proceeded to explain to her the mental processing that went into that and the mental effects that were displayed by my deception.  She was 12 going on blackbelt and didn't understand how mentality plays in very well. If you want to look timid, that is fine, but use it to your advantage instead  of displaying the same effect.  It will give you the advantage most will not expect from you.  On the street and in the ring.  At the tournament three weeks later she won. 

I could reminisce all day though..... ahh the memories.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Inkblack
Puppy Farmer
Vault WDA

_,|,,

Reply #52 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 9:31am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Sep 15th, 2011 at 11:35am:
I am getting the feeling that you people don't appreciate my subtle wit.

I know what you mean.  My jokes are wasted on them.

It couldn't be that we're old could it?  Nah.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint