Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Premium vs VIP (Read 2033 times)
Alekx
VoD Slasher

Argonnessen

Premium vs VIP
Sep 15th, 2011 at 1:04pm
Print Post  
Found this article in the LA Times, thought it was interesting and wanted to share it here.

It makes sense if we consider the change DDO has gone through after FTP was implemented.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/09/online-game-subscr...

~ Pure Life ~ Argonnessen ~

IP Logged

Soul
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: Premium vs VIP
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2011 at 1:07pm
Print Post  
I almost didn't click because I thought it was another one of those threads.

IP Logged

JoJI
Korthos Resident

Reply #2 - Sep 16th, 2011 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
That article is a bunch of shit published only to suck Zynga's vag.

It lists 1.13 billion in Microtransactions versus 1.58 billion in Subs for 2010. It then lists Zynga at 830 million for 2010 primarily off of microtransactions.

So Zynga makes up what like 80% of the total microtransactions? The article then plugs Zynga's upcoming IPO?

I think the real story is that minus Zynga and their dozens of Mafiawar/Farmville nickle and dime facebook bullshit:

~1.58 billion was paid for subscriptions in 2010

~300 million was paid for microtransactions in 2010

At least in DDO there are VIPs that still use the store.

1.58 billion to 300 million. That's like 5 to 1.

tl:dr
Zynga makes up like 80% of all microtransactions and has an IPO coming up.

I still don't know what YaBB is

IP Logged

notajedi
Stormreaver Piker

What idiot puts personal
information here? Gunga

Reply #3 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 8:18am
Print Post  
No point in being VIP anymore.  Turbine is making it so you have to pay for everything.

The Artificer is a test to see how it is received in that they delay giving VIP access to new stuff without seeing how much they can get VIPS and F2P to pay for it first.

First, you have to BUY the artificer until next year.  I read where completionists get it for free, but I am not one of those so I have no idea if that is true.  But nice to give that to them.

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

This is why we can't have
nice things.

Reply #4 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 9:56am
Print Post  
notajedi wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 8:18am:
No point in being VIP anymore.  Turbine is making it so you have to pay for everything.

The Artificer is a test to see how it is received in that they delay giving VIP access to new stuff without seeing how much they can get VIPS and F2P to pay for it first.

First, you have to BUY the artificer until next year.  I read where completionists get it for free, but I am not one of those so I have no idea if that is true.  But nice to give that to them.

Don't know much about that article, but I am surprised how many artificers there are running around.  For all the griping, lots of people dropped some TP to start them ASAP.  Another example of forum rage and indignation signalling nothing.  Turbine pays attention to how you behave in game, not what you type on the forum.  Players have validated the situation in game.  As the old saying goes, "Actions speak louder than words".

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #5 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 9:56am:
For all the griping, lots of people dropped some TP to start them ASAP.  .

Two things.

1) Less than 10% of the player base reads the forums.
2) Those gripping were a vocal minority of that 10%

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #6 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 9:58am:
Two things.

1) Less than 10% of the player base reads the forums.
2) Those gripping were a vocal minority of that 10%

I know.  It just surprises me how often peole are amazed/astounded/shocked/appalled/whatever by the fact that Turbine does not respond to their threats to quit, drop their sub, or otherwise throw a tantrum hissy-fit on the forums about whatever rules change or pricing change or release issue occurs.

It also surprises me how often people actually like to take credit for changes in game or in policy from a forum thread or post or whatever.  Guess what, people, they really don't give a fuck. 

They know how many active players they have.  They can tell in a split second how many user accounts have/have not logged on in the last week.  And they trend it heavily.  Probably down to the half hour. 

And they know how many accounts:  1) even have a forum account associated. 2) have logged in with that forum account in the past month.  3) have bothered to post anything in the last month.  4) have posted something negative.

My (completely uneducated and probably wrong)guess is:

1)  50%
2)  10%
3)  3%
4)  .5%

Now guess what percentage of Turbine's revenue comes from that .5%.  It might be disproportionate.  It might be as much as 5%.  Which would be huge.  But even so, it's a drop in the bucket.  And that .5% are mostly ADDICTED to the game.  They might piss and moan, but by and large, they aren't actually going anywhere.

Like I said, the actual numbers probably vary from the above, but the ratio of premium/VIP game players (Revenue generators) to forum bitchers is probably on the scale of 300:1.  Maybe worse.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #7 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Asheras wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 10:12am:
I know.  It just surprises me how often peole are amazed/astounded/shocked/appalled/whatever by the fact that Turbine does not respond to their threats to quit, drop their sub, or otherwise throw a tantrum hissy-fit on the forums about whatever rules change or pricing change or release issue occurs.

It also surprises me how often people actually like to take credit for changes in game or in policy from a forum thread or post or whatever.  Guess what, people, they really don't give a fuck. 

They know how many active players they have.  They can tell in a split second how many user accounts have/have not logged on in the last week.  And they trend it heavily.  Probably down to the half hour. 

And they know how many accounts:  1) even have a forum account associated. 2) have logged in with that forum account in the past month.  3) have bothered to post anything in the last month.  4) have posted something negative.

My (completely uneducated and probably wrong)guess is:

1)  50%
2)  10%
3)  3%
4)  .5%

Now guess what percentage of Turbine's revenue comes from that .5%.  It might be disproportionate.  It might be as much as 5%.  Which would be huge.  But even so, it's a drop in the bucket.  And that .5% are mostly ADDICTED to the game.  They might piss and moan, but by and large, they aren't actually going anywhere.

Like I said, the actual numbers probably vary from the above, but the ratio of premium/VIP game players (Revenue generators) to forum bitchers is probably on the scale of 300:1.  Maybe worse.

You can do it with google. 

1) Pick an unpopular change
2) Google it
3) See how many people threaten to quit yet still post or play

...it worked well if you google FVS.  There were a number of people outraged by favor unlocks and said they would never play an FVS in protest.  Most have FVS's now...

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Asheras
Completionist (i.t.p.)

nice things.

Reply #8 - Sep 19th, 2011 at 10:23am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 19th, 2011 at 10:16am:
You can do it with google. 

1) Pick an unpopular change
2) Google it
3) See how many people threaten to quit yet still post or play

...it worked well if you google FVS.  There were a number of people outraged by favor unlocks and said they would never play an FVS in protest.  Most have FVS's now...

And I guarantee a great number of them have never even sniffed 2500 favor on a toon. 

All Turbine has to do is deliver content/races/classes that are fun, people will pay for it.  Even if they are morally opposed to having to do so.

IP Logged

longbolts
Dirty Sock

I Love Socks!

Reply #9 - Nov 18th, 2015 at 9:15am
Print Post  
LOL just quit, you nigger faggot

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint