Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 75 Replies) A note to Artificers (Read 16376 times)
Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Re: A note to Artificers
Reply #50 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Almost nobody had dr breakers when DQ first came out, or abbot, or shroud, or....
And we still completed. On elite. With lower levels.

More important fact.

Sounds like people were really stupid back then, if they really didn't have DR breakers.  You do remember that a simple Transmuting weapon used to break DR on all those enemies, right?

IP Logged

Wizzly
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Cor wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:20pm:
Sounds like people were really stupid back then, if they really didn't have DR breakers.  You do remember that a simple Transmuting weapon used to break DR on all those enemies, right?

Don't be so bitter against the world just cuz I weened you off my cock milk too soon.

Yes, we had transmuting. However, just like how not everyone today has HSEOB of awesomeness, not everyone back then had transmuters.

Short bus summary = GFY nooblet

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #52 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Yes, we had transmuting. However, just like how not everyone today has HSEOB of awesomeness, not everyone back then had transmuters.

Are you seriously suggesting that a +1 Transmuting weapon was as rare or difficult to acquire back then as a "HSEOB of awesomeness" are now?  Because that, alone, is better than any other non-transmuting weapon available back then, vs Elite Harry.  Unless the droprate of Transmuting was dramatically lower than Metalline is now (I doubt it), anyone without a Transmuting weapon back then would've been stupid, lazy, or both.

Your posts reek of "uphill both ways" bullshit.

IP Logged

Uhgungawa
King of the Vault

Life sucks, but she won't

Reply #53 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Cor wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:20pm:

Do you remember Transmuting weapon weren't always in the game  Wink

When I think about me, I touch myself . Psst. Canada Sucks                

IP Logged

Gornin
Ex Member

Reply #54 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Almost nobody had dr breakers when DQ first came out, or abbot, or shroud, or....

More important fact.

Thinking about my then guilds' first completion (second on Ghallanda) on my cleric still causes me to pucker with the pot and scroll expenditure.

IP Logged

Gornin
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Cor wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:36pm:
Are you seriously suggesting that a +1 Transmuting weapon was as rare or difficult to acquire back then as a "HSEOB of awesomeness" are now?  Because that, alone, is better than any other non-transmuting weapon available back then, vs Elite Harry.  Unless the droprate of Transmuting was dramatically lower than Metalline is now (I doubt it), anyone without a Transmuting weapon back then would've been stupid, lazy, or both.

Your posts reek of "uphill both ways" bullshit.

Yes, cause there were none of all the high level quests to run that there are now. Transmutings were mainly quest end rewards at that point.

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #56 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
Uhgungawa wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:37pm:
Do you remember Transmuting weapon weren't always in the game  Wink

I'm mostly talking about Harry, for whom Transmuting certainly existed.  DR breakers aren't as big a deal for DQ (hers only goes up to 15 on elite, vs. 35 for Harry).  And Abbot's DR is trivial to bypass.

Quote:
Yes, cause there were none of all the high level quests to run that there are now. Transmutings were mainly quest end rewards at that point.

It's a +2 enchantment.  +1 Transmuting shouldn't have been any more rare than a +1 Holy.  Was there some kind of special rarity modifier in place?

IP Logged

Gornin
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 2:04pm
Print Post  
Cor wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 1:50pm:
I'm mostly talking about Harry, for whom Transmuting certainly existed.  DR breakers aren't as big a deal for DQ (hers only goes up to 15 on elite, vs. 35 for Harry).  And Abbot's DR is trivial to bypass.

It's a +2 enchantment.  +1 Transmuting shouldn't have been any more rare than a +1 Holy.  Was there some kind of special rarity modifier in place?

All I  know is that they weren't that common. I think they had a high ML, but it was lowered when they switched it to metalline.

They were part of the rare "Big Five" back then, almost to the level of WoPs.

It was a guild project to get everyone geared with one so we could run shroud efficiently.

IP Logged

Wizzly
Ex Member

Reply #58 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Cor - stfu and learn from your betters. See below. People farmed for transmuters back in the day like people farm for scales and epics now. Further, they didn't always exist.

Quote:
All I  know is that they weren't that common. I think they had a high ML, but it was lowered when they switched it to metalline.

It was a guild project to get everyone geared with one so we could run shroud efficiently.

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #59 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
Quote:

After taking a look at the old marketplace (searched google for WTS and Transmuting, on forums.ddo.com), I gotta call bullshit on this.

All I see are Transmuting of PG, and Transmuting Greater Banes, and not for especially outrageous prices.  If a plain-old +1 Transmuting (or +1 Transmuting of Shatter +4 or whatever) where actually anywhere near as rare as a WoP, why weren't they being sold?  I know the forums got purged, but I see plenty of posts in early Shroud era.

Why do I see a +3 Transmuting Bastard Sword of PG going for a measly 7.5k plat?  I know it's just a B-Sword, but it still blows any non-Transmuting Khopesh out of the water vs. Elite Harry.  Why do I see several decent transmuters as a minor part of a two-page long list of things all traded for a single WoP Rapier.  And notably not under the "Power 5" category.

I can buy good transmuters being rare; PG, Greater Banes, etc.  But any old transmuter at all?
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2011 at 2:57pm by Cor »  

IP Logged

Wizzly
Ex Member

Reply #60 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
1) most of the DDO populace do not use the forums
2) of those who do, most do not use it for trading
3) the number of hits that search generates is a drop of water in the bucket of players who were "in need" of a transmuter.
4) you're a fucktard nooblet who thinks he knows better than the people who were actually there. Are you going to lecture us now on how easy VoN is and that anyone who fails sucks at this game and at life?

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #61 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
1) I know.
2) I know.
3) The point is that a drop of water typically resembles the water in the bucket it comes from.  If a +1 Transmuter of Shatter +2 were remotely valuable, why wasn't it being sold on the forums?  Why were superior weapons being passed around like candy?
4) VoN changed in many ways to make it easier.  Shroud (and the game in general) was changed in several ways to make it a more challenging quest, assuming similarly level'd/gear'd characters.  There's a difference.

What I'm questioning is your recollection that all Transmuters were exceptionally rare.  The evidence I can find from that era simply doesn't support that.  Are you sure it wasn't just the "good" ones?

IP Logged

Wizzly
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Sep 26th, 2011 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
I'll indulge you one last time. I remember very clearly on several occasions wanting a transmuter for my newly flagged lowby and not finding a single transmuter, good or bad, of any variety on the AH. I never once saw 0 WoPs on the AH. Take that as you will.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #63 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 5:24am
Print Post  
Quote:

More important fact.

Thank you proving as to why we don't need arti spells.  The only worthwhile weapon enchantment did not make it past lama. 

I've always had dr breakers, then again, I am a hoarder.  I keep EVERYTHING.  I mean it, I make alts and max out their bank and inv just to hold worthless shit.  Sad, but oh well.

Also, to whomever talked about DR differences.  The DPS difference is fricking enormous from back in the good old days to when shroud was first released to now.  15 dr and 35 dr .... that 15 was bigger IMO back in the day when DQ was endgame.  Abbots dr has always been a joke and there has never been an excuse not to break it, ever.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Wizzly
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 7:00am
Print Post  
That doesn't follow from what I said. You said people without boss beaters shouldn't do raids. I replied that we have been doing so for years and still getting completions. I still remember 5+ round Shrouds  Shocked

You may always have DR breakers, but 75+% of the populace did not for years. I'd wager at least 50 still don't.

Yeah, Abbot wasn't mentioned as an especially hard DR to break, rather just another example of the situation. And yes, 15DR definitely hurt a lot more in the past than it does nowadays.

Epoch wrote on Sep 27th, 2011 at 5:24am:
Thank you proving as to why we don't need arti spells.  The only worthwhile weapon enchantment did not make it past lama. 

I've always had dr breakers, then again, I am a hoarder.  I keep EVERYTHING.  I mean it, I make alts and max out their bank and inv just to hold worthless shit.  Sad, but oh well.

Also, to whomever talked about DR differences.  The DPS difference is fricking enormous from back in the good old days to when shroud was first released to now.  15 dr and 35 dr .... that 15 was bigger IMO back in the day when DQ was endgame.  Abbots dr has always been a joke and there has never been an excuse not to break it, ever.

IP Logged

Gornin
Ex Member

Reply #65 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Cor wrote on Sep 26th, 2011 at 2:57pm:
After taking a look at the old marketplace (searched google for WTS and Transmuting, on forums.ddo.com), I gotta call bullshit on this.

All I see are Transmuting of PG, and Transmuting Greater Banes, and not for especially outrageous prices.  If a plain-old +1 Transmuting (or +1 Transmuting of Shatter +4 or whatever) where actually anywhere near as rare as a WoP, why weren't they being sold?  I know the forums got purged, but I see plenty of posts in early Shroud era.

Why do I see a +3 Transmuting Bastard Sword of PG going for a measly 7.5k plat?  I know it's just a B-Sword, but it still blows any non-Transmuting Khopesh out of the water vs. Elite Harry.  Why do I see several decent transmuters as a minor part of a two-page long list of things all traded for a single WoP Rapier.  And notably not under the "Power 5" category.

I can buy good transmuters being rare; PG, Greater Banes, etc.  But any old transmuter at all?

Yes, I am sure.

Totally different game back then. Not to sound like "uphill both ways", but it kinda was.

There was a bigger gap between the haves and have nots.

I was in a pretty respectable guild then, but few played 6 to 8 hours a day like the power guilds, so 7.5 k plat was a respectable price for the average player. I know someone that had pulled 5 WoP rapiers while many had seen none.

Also, that is when Transmuters started showing up in quantity, because the level cap was raised. The same for the rest of the Big Five. Between the rarity dropping due to higher level quests being available and eventually shroud weps, the Big Five became fairly useless. The game changed from vorpals being the badass wep to doing DPS all the time.

Shroud was a game changer in so many ways.
Mos of us were using Silver of PG weps to beat shroud until we got transmuters or greensteel.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #66 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Quote:
Abbot wasn't mentioned as an especially hard DR to break

I just mentioned this because it pains me to see people enter abbot with slashing weapons.  It isn't like it is new people, but experienced people who should know better. 

Quote:
but 75+% of the populace did not for years. I'd wager at least 50 still don't.

Then they should get them instead of skating by on the coattails of others.  Guilds help with this.  I have given out and have received DR breakers.  I wouldn't with a pug, but anything for a guildy.

The longest shroud I have done is 4 rounds, including when it first came out.  Well, that is a lie now that I think about.  Back when monks were first released, chakra and devorien were the only good monks on argo and we bumped into each other a couple times while leveling(seen in pugs anyways, as cakes monk was utter shit- if you are reading this cake, yeah, you wasted your time leveling that fucking worthless piece of shit up).  Devorien was mine, our builds were very similar, as was inspire (think that was his forum name - him and chakra both posted a build on monks).  Devorien and a rogue two manned part 4 from 70% (maybe 60% and my mind is trying to boast a bit more then it should) and it took us 3~5 (extra) rounds as the group wiped except us two on round 1.  We were awesome, this is when meteor swarm was fully evadeable.  He was repeater build and I forgot his name, lost the pic when my HD crashed awhile back as well.  If he is here, maybe he will hop in on this and share a pic.

You don't need arti spells to get DR breakers.  You said mostly, which means not entirely.  Which means, you should of got them.  I never said beating the raids without them was hard, it was just easier, and better on your guildies if you did have them.  Everyone should have dr beaters, no exception.  Newb in the guild that doesn't have one? Give him one, even two if he dual wields.  Unless he is a rogue, then fuck him.  That is my policy.

Anyways, point being, I don't what server you play on, I am sure you have said before, but dr breakers are everywhere.  All I ever did was loot run the shit out of stuff and I always kept boss beaters when I found them, Like I said, I am hoarder.  I also had several old unholy weapons, sad they were lost in my ragequit Sad .

That being said, back in the day, breaking the 15 dr was more important then anything else since we didn't have lit 2's.  Shame on you for not doing so, SHAME.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #67 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 9:09am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Sep 27th, 2011 at 9:06am:
You don't need arti spells to get DR breakers.  You said mostly, which means not entirely.  Which means, you should of got them.  I never said beating the raids without them was hard, it was just easier, and better on your guildies if you did have them.  Everyone should have dr beaters, no exception.  Newb in the guild that doesn't have one? Give him one, even two if he dual wields.  Unless he is a rogue, then fuck him.  That is my policy.

Agreed, but it certainly is nice to have your LitII changed into a DR Breaker.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #68 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 9:17am
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Sep 27th, 2011 at 9:09am:
Agreed, but it certainly is nice to have your LitII changed into a DR Breaker.

Wouldn't know, I was one of those min 2 guys.  Mainly because of all them were made back when min 2 was transmuting, and fucking badass.  Then they got nerfed, bugged, buffed, nerfed, devs went in a rage because they had no idea what the fuck they were doing, then they finally settled on it being metalline.  Something like that anyways. Then I forsake all my melee besides my monks and my rangers.  Life was good.  Fuck lit 2, fuck it until I can get it on my monk.  Fifteen more runs, MWAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAA...

Would be shorter if that fucking retarded construction guy working on the apartment building didn't cut the fucking DSL line from my internet provider.  Black cord on light blue siding, IT ISNT HARD TO SEE FUCKTARD!

EDIT: Heh, I was also referring to before shroud.  Shroud ruined endgame goals for everyone, it completely changed the game after we figured out what made what.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2011 at 9:21am by Epoch »  

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Wizzly
Ex Member

Reply #69 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Epoch, you are an elitist asshat. Hope I run with you some day.

And to be clear, I almost always had dr breakers, even if not transmuters, even on my casters (bc they meleed between polar rays). I think I had one melée do one Shroud without a DR breaker, but he crafted it that run

IP Logged

Wizzly
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 10:07am
Print Post  
Min2 is still badass. My maul breaks 90+% of DR in the game

IP Logged

Gasoline
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!

Reply #71 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Sep 23rd, 2011 at 10:02pm:
People who do not already have boss beaters should not be doing the raids.

Fact.

This was the one thing i kept thinking when reading about Arti's. They have some neat things, and it does make a Lit2 alot stronger if thats a melee's only greensteel.

I think a two years ago the arti would be more useful, but with cannith crafting and new epic weapon options it just feels like they mostly have parlor tricks and a few neat gizmos.

Im sure in time people will start hammering out good builds, until someone makes a real melee build i just dont see them as that great, but as mentioned before it will just take some time.

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #72 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
Gasoline wrote on Sep 27th, 2011 at 12:27pm:
I think a two years ago the arti would be more useful, but with cannith crafting and new epic weapon options it just feels like they mostly have parlor tricks and a few neat gizmos.

They feel incomplete.  They are going to need some developer tweeking and it'll take time for people to learn the class and play to the strengths.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #73 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
One really nice thing will be that a melee arti will never need to make a minII for himself.

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Cor
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #74 - Sep 27th, 2011 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Sep 27th, 2011 at 12:31pm:
One really nice thing will be that a melee arti will never need to make a minII for himself.

Thanks to Cannith crafting, I think that applies to all melees.  A +4 Holy Silver of EOB (and other variants) is so easy to make.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint