Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I R Noob, help me tank! :D (Read 4005 times)
Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are
belong to me! :D

I R Noob, help me tank! :D
Oct 5th, 2011 at 6:15am
Print Post  
Hey guys, I could use a little help.

I have a capstone Knight of the Chalice THF pally kicking around that to be frank I'm not too happy with - her DPS is a bit slow and cludgy and at the moment I really take her out for Shroud, TOD and not much else, although I am trying to slowly work her completions up on the raids. She has an epic Hellstroke which she waves around and pretends to be DPS, but really she is pretty undergeared/

Here she is - 32 point build, max level ups into strength. Con probably a bit low, I was advised to try for DM II instead of putting more into Con. She's OK, but not super.

http://my.ddo.com/character/khyber/tereanna/

I've been considering respeccing her into a Defender of Siberys tanking build, with the end game either being stuff like Clean's build http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=345344&page=2 or more of an AC tank build (are there any threads you'd recommend for an AC tank build?)

However, I don't want to spent TPs on a lesser reincarnation just yet - I would rather try before I buy and see if I actually enjoy tanking in easier content before going whole hog on the grind. I'm only missing the seal for the Antique Greataxe, but I have nothing for the Chimera's Fang or Chimera's Crown ATM for example, and still need a shard and a scroll for gloves of the claw.

I do have dragonshards etc so I can do a feat swap to get Shield mastery and respect to DOS.

Notable stuff I have - not much really. I have Madstone boots, Madstone Shield, Epic Cavalry Plate, Epic Swashbuckler and Epic ring of the Buccaneer made. I could make a Cove natural armour hat, and I have the Fabricator Bracers for 20% incite and the basic Brigand's cutlass for 15%.

Is there anything I should be able to tank with this sort of set up in the easier raids? Are there any quick fixes you can suggest to me?

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Re: I R Noob, help me tank! :D
Reply #1 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 6:39am
Print Post  
If you never want to run epics, sure, go ac.  Otherwise, never ever go ac.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Wizzly
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 8:25am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 5th, 2011 at 6:39am:
If you never want to run epics, sure, go ac.  Otherwise, never ever go ac.

Truth

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are

Reply #3 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Well it makes sense to me that I'd want to be able to tank stuff in epics, too, eventually, if I like tanking. My first objective is, I guess, something like Hound all difficulties, and TOD normal (guess people would turn up their nose at a fleshy tank for VOD). With a side order of, I don't know really. Suggestions for noob tanker welcome.

IP Logged

Munkenmo
Epic Poster

Reply #4 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Oct 5th, 2011 at 6:15am:
Hey guys, I could use a little help.

She has an epic Hellstroke which she waves around and pretends to be DPS

Are there any quick fixes you can suggest to me?

ditch the fucking greataxe, your not a barb, get a some falchions till you manage to acquire a sword of shadows.

spam divine sacrifice every chance you can.  you'll be slightly less gimp dps.

p.s. do as i say, not as i do.

http://my.ddo.com/character/sarlona/gimpenmo/
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2011 at 3:39pm by Munkenmo »  

So you want to know about an exploit?
PM Epoch For Details. Or, in case you don't already know, OnePercenter controls the Exploits Board. Lastly, if you're truly desperate, Vendui Tells Everyone

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #5 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Terebinthia wrote on Oct 5th, 2011 at 6:15am:
I've been considering respeccing her into a Defender of Siberys tanking build, with the end game either being stuff like Clean's build http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=345344&page=2 or more of an AC tank build (are there any threads you'd recommend for an AC tank build?)

I don't think that I could bring myself to make a melee character that didn't have either the full TWF line or the full THF line (and Clonks/Favored Souls don't count).  Leaving that much DPS on the table just makes my skin crawl.

I could only see taking all three Sentinal feats on a Fighter that is planning on using Chimera's Fang exclusively and never switching over to a "DPS" mode for normal quests.

fnord

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are

Reply #6 - Oct 5th, 2011 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Munkenmo wrote on Oct 5th, 2011 at 3:38pm:
ditch the fucking greataxe, your not a barb, get a some falchions till you manage to acquire a sword of shadows.

spam divine sacrifice every chance you can.  you'll be slightly less gimp dps.

p.s. do as i say, not as i do.

http://my.ddo.com/character/sarlona/gimpenmo/

Fuck off (in the nicest possible way Smiley ) ATM she's at the level of Shroud piker but the tards take her over my ravager ring, cannith crafted geared Khopesh wielding Exploiter, because rangers aren't DPS. yo  Roll Eyes )

I'm not investing any bloody crap in her to run fucking Shroud on Normal, the tards can see a Hellstroke and like it Cheesy

IP Logged

Felgor
Shroud Slacker

Go Fuck Yourself

Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 2:36am
Print Post  
I am fighting an uphill battle, but IMO a twf dos is much more fun than a snb one.

I take my pally into epics and do just fine. Only gimps and one trick pwnies choose between ac or dps. If you want to tank, you need DPS to hold agro.

If ALL you do is grind epic quests and epic raids, then you don't need an ac tank, let alone a tank.

From what you asked though, you want to tank raids like VoD, ToD, Hound, maybe even LoB. AC tanks are very good in those raids (Normal/Hard for LoB).

If they have dps, they are also fun in Amrath.

I can't really tell you what you should do, but a twf ac pally is more fun than a bag of hp with shit dps.

Proud Leader & official Gimp of Crimson Eagles on Khyber
Angryscrews Wiz 20 - Felgor WF FvS 20 - Brelgor Fighter 18/1/1 - Flavoursome TR1 Sorc 18 - Splatsplat 18/2 DoSIII

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #8 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Felgor wrote on Oct 19th, 2011 at 2:36am:
Only gimps and one trick pwnies choose between ac or dps. If you want to tank, you need DPS to hold agro.

It's not an either/or.  it's a sliding scale that is 95% gear and swapable for what's situationally best. 

My stalwart still does great because he's still got very high HP, healing amp, and puts out enough threat that nobody ever has to hold back.  When on LoB I equip a shield and spend most of my time blocking.

Until the game changes again there is no point in shooting for an AC above 85 and that's not that hard to get.  Elite Horoth is pointless as Elite ToD is stupidly hard right now and doesn't have a pay commensurate to the effort required to beat the raid.  The LOB  . . . Shield mastery and a tower Shield absorbs enough damage that you can be scrolled through it requiring a real hjeal only when he goes whirlwind.  AC doesn't matter in the epic raids so there's no point in pursuing it.

When this "AC pass" that Madfloyd talked about happens then there might be a point in pursuing it higher than 85, right now I just don't see it. 

80-85 (buffed) AC isn't that tough to get on a defender build and will work where AC works and won't require you to either gimp you character to get higher.

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 7:18am
Print Post  
*nods*

Realistically given the time zone that I play in (GMT) really the only tanking I'd be likely to be doing is TOD (probably not above normal, I can't remember when I last saw a TOD PUG above normal), a VOD normal or hard (never seen an elite PUG), maybe LOB when I've bent my brain around it, and I do need to be able to switch modes, or I will get very bored indeed. So I'm erring to learning what I can from Clean's build.

I guess I'm not really sure where the tipping point is re: gear, really. I have the epic cavalry plate, and I ground for a Swashbuckler and a Ring of the Buccanneer in Cove. She has to have decent DPS too, or I'm not going to enjoy playing her enough to want to grind out all the stuff for her. Even spamming divine sacrifice (which I do) and keeping divine might / divine favour / zeal running (which I do) she just doesn't feel like she's contributing anywhere near enough compared to my exploiter. It would be nice to be able to do something else with her.

I guess in the short term I will do a feat swap for shield mastery and give the prestige class a whirl with the stuff I have put together, and run Sentinels to get the stuff for the Chimera's Fang and Crown anyway, since PUGs for eBOB and Tides are still plentiful and there are also guildies interested in running these quests.

I did pull the base SOS on her the other day, but I'm still not convinced she's the toon I'd put it on, and that says it all really, I think.

IP Logged

sweez
Abbot Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #10 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Out of all the defender build I've seen since U11 hit, the only one that I like is clean's 18/2 pally, dragonmarks optional (if you don't want the dragonmarks, there's plenty of feats to swap in).

Only problem for your gimp ass is that tanky toons need a bit of gear to be fully effective  Cheesy If you want I can send you my mod of clean's build (different gear layout and as a result different enhancement setup, but same level progression and feats for the most part), but since I built it around fitting 3 piece abishai it prolly won't do much for you (clean's gear layout is probably easier to grind out, but the claw set is a must for a tank imho).

As for AC, as someone who played a divine before U9 and now plays another one after U11, I can say that as long as the tank can hold aggro and has proper heal amp and some HP I don't really care about his AC  Wink

Just don't be like all the other noobs I see around bringing their defenders in all the quests, bring them to places where their HPs and threat etc actually matters, like tod, lob, such stuff. Bring out a proper dps toon for regular epics (this is not really addressed to you tere as you don't really have a dps toon, I'm just ranting in general) Tongue
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2011 at 8:58am by sweez »  

IP Logged

Terebinthia
Horoluth Raider

All your cupcakes are

Reply #11 - Oct 24th, 2011 at 9:51am
Print Post  
Are you picking on my Exploiter again? You are such a meanie ....  Cry

Interesting that you think the Dragonmarks in Clean's build is optional - I'm willing to try and grind out the Sentinels stuff I guess but given I don't really want to spend TPs on fixing this girl - certainly not at the moment. I was going to rely on the Incite on the Fabricator's set as a halfway house. Just thought it might be worth doing a bit of fiddling to see if an alternative approach can make her more fun. She's the primary candidate I have to TR into something different - the healing amp from the pally past life is useful for many builds after all.

Besides, it will stop you kvetching about her hit points Tongue

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint