Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic When people think you are that guy, but not. (Read 4584 times)
Nerdychaz
Waterworks Kobold

I was queer before the
ponies!

When people think you are that guy, but not.
Oct 9th, 2011 at 6:22am
Print Post  
Just a bit of a bitch here. 

I joined a PUG, had a nice conversation with a new player who was also the leader of the PUG.  LFM was for undermine lvl 12-14.  He goes in on elite for the bravery.  Okay, I am up for  a challenge.  Quest is level 15, above our level, and we are definitely biting off quite a bit to chew.

Now, he is telling everyone to kite the trash to "stay away from archers" in part one.  We all know how well that works. 

Then, The poor healer doesn't use any scrolls or wands, and that is common for a newer healer, and I am fine with that.  I kindly pass 2 major pots to keep the heals flowing.

I place bombs and people stand on top of them no matter how many times I say back away or type it.  Now, it gets to the minefield, I was just going to do the jumpy thing and did it.  The leader complains saying he, the paladin with no evasion will place the bombs and the entire party stands on top of him.  He goes to run away and of course is knocked on his ass next to the bomb he set.  I go in front of the group and begin assassinating the casters because they are kicking our asses this entire quest.  Well, the other rogue, begins dropping bombs right where the party is, but because I get killed when failing an assassinate check and being discovered, held, and a firewall dropped on my head: the wipe that ensues becomes my fault.  rather than start an argument, I decide, you know this guy is new, I will use my korthos cake and rez myself to get the party back to the shrine.  cool, i had been saving that thing for just such an emergency. 

Now, this guy begins to blame me and I don't really contest it, it wasn't worth the drama.  I felt bad for the puggers, they were all new, in way over their head, and I was honestly having fun for the duration of the quest because i like push myself and you don't play a rogue unless you like the support role AND the DPS. 

So, anyway, the other rogue (unguilded btw) who caused the wipe proceeds to keep placing bombs where they obviously shouldn't be and actually gets me!  So, I am once again blamed because I died, therefore I was near it and must have placed it.  I just stay on the other side of the minefield and wait for the party.

Once they get past the minefield they neglect to grab the cleric, who died again btw, and I am carted to the shrine.  Yay, shrine!  No Trash!  Well, we have 45 deaths at that shrine.  i am not kidding.  My robe was destroyed and I completed the quest naked!  I thanked the cleric and said if they had leftover pots to keep them.  Since I was feeling happy because my brother was married today, i offered to pay everyone's repair bill for being good sports and not giving up.

Okay, PUG goes in over their head and does poorly.  Fine with me.  Its expected in my book.  What i didn't expect was this:  The group leader said they were new and looking for a good longsword, in keeping with my giving spirit at that time, i figured I would surprise they guy and drop a not insubstantial sum on a good paralyzer.  Why not, right?  It's all play money to me anyway and I like to help out new players.  I guess I'm a sucker though, because I couldn't send it.  The fucker squelched me! 

So, your group goes south.  You have 4 terrible players and one TR.  Who do you blame?  The guy that carried your asses through the quest?  The guy that used his once in a resurrection cake to recover the wipe?  The guy that handed out 20k in pots to the healer?  The guy that offered to pay your repair bill?  The guy that had 80% of the kills? 

Apparently the answer is yes and I am very unhappy now sitting here with a paralyzer I don't want. 

I know what everyone is going to say.  It's your fault for Pugging, etc.  But, seriously, just fucking rude.  I think I am at least done being generous for a while.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Re: When people think you are that guy, but not.
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 7:22am
Print Post  
It isn't your fault for pugging, it is your fault for accepting the blame.  When people do stupid shit, you call them out on it, not take it like a bitch because you are nice.  The thing people do not understand in MMO's, there are real live people playing it.  Which means, idiots and people who walk over the nice guy play it.  Next time, try sticking up for yourself.  No one cares about the person who doesn't defend themselves.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

TDarkchylde
Dragon Raider

It's just a simulation...

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 9th, 2011 at 7:22am:
It isn't your fault for pugging, it is your fault for accepting the blame.  When people do stupid shit, you call them out on it, not take it like a bitch because you are nice.  The thing people do not understand in MMO's, there are real live people playing it.  Which means, idiots and people who walk over the nice guy play it.  Next time, try sticking up for yourself.  No one cares about the person who doesn't defend themselves.

What he said. Stand up for yourself and call them on their idiocy. Take charge if need be.

AIM  
IP Logged

JDollar
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Swarthy as fuck

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 10:56am
Print Post  
The drama is always worth it noob!

Quote:
J$ can take great pride that I think he's too revolting for words and will probably post "gtg cat on fire" if he joins a group I'm in.

Quote:
JD is easily the most genuinely mean person I've known

Quote:
SNAP!  Point for the Canadian!
notajedi wrote on Mar 14th, 2013 at 6:47pm:
JonnyD has had way better exploits.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 11:00am
Print Post  
The difference between being nice and being a doormat enabler is figuring out who your generosity would be completely wasted on. That is why you have muddy footprints on your back.

JDollar wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

JDollar wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:15am:
To put in DnD terms Grace is a CR 60 EE Ball Busting Bitch

IP Logged

JakLee
Bailiff

Monotremes and Money

Reply #5 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 12:05pm
Print Post  
nah - sometimes its FUN to watch how bad a pug can be.... it's not always fun to throw a hissy fit because you didn't complete Coal Chamber on Elite at level 13 in 15 minutes with all new players in a pug.  And sometimes a piece of gear DOES make a difference to the new player. 

If you really want to follow up, switch characters, send the sword along with a link to your story.  I am sure the vault would be happy to help correct this leader.
Shocked

from Preamus: Quote:
at least i'm agnostic so while I "think" you're full of crap I don't "know" you're full of crap

Strakeln wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:37pm:
JakLee will be the bailiff.  He's got a stun gun and everything.

Have you seen my platypus?
There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who need closure.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #6 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
I'm all for being nice, but yeah.  I think some time after I started getting bitched at despite burning a cake and bringing the party to a shrine would have been the point where I started reaming some assholes, frankly.  The guys sound like entitled dipshit noobs who deserved a good slapping around, at least from your version of events.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
Why aren't you soloing that quest in the first place?

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 9th, 2011 at 7:22am:

I like to do this by screaming.  "8 FUCKING OTHER PEOPLE DIED WHY WOULD YOU BE ANY DIFFERENT I HATE THE ARGO EAST RAMP*&@$()*&@()($*(#"

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Oct 9th, 2011 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Why aren't you soloing that quest in the first place?

Because it's got some tricky bits and there are a lot of builds that aren't going to be able to solo it on elite at level on a first life.  I suppose there are some players that are good enough that they could solo it with any build, but that's far from the norm. 

There's a lot of room between "Good player" and "Can completely solo mid-level elite quests on any build," at least in my opinion.  Might just be because I am completely shitty at DDO, of course, but I'd like to think that I'm at least fairly decent.  I'm not great by any stretch, but I'd like to think that I've hit the lofty goal of "Good."

IP Logged

Nerdychaz
Waterworks Kobold

I was queer before the
ponies!

Reply #10 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 2:24am
Print Post  
Lol, i solo it on eite on my cleric, but i am bit overleveled.  I do appreciate the advice and perhaps next time i will either try to steal the star or just say fuck it. Really, i do like helping out newbs, but noobs? Fuckem. I was just appalled at the idea of " lets blame the TR, he must be a zerger" really it just caught me off guard.   i guess it might have all started when i circumvented his strategy of "lets kite the trash until our resources are depleted and then complain abput th gnoll archers."

IP Logged

Darkrok
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #11 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Nah, I probably would have done the exact same thing you did.  Not worth the bitching and moaning to dispute them.

I wouldn't have been upset about the squelch though.  That's doing you a favor. Wink

IP Logged

Schmoe
Epic Poster

One world, one soul

Reply #12 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
I have a similar attitude toward PUGs, but I wouldn't have allowed the moron leading the quest to start blaming me.  I have no problem with newer, inexperienced, or even bad players (at least in moderation).  I do have a problem with buttmunch shitheads who try to cover up their inadequacies by being rude to others.  Think about the other people in that group who may not know any better.  By remaining silent, you allowed them to walk away with the perception that the leader may not have been a drooling idiot.  That was bad.

Also, I love that my spellchecker complains about buttmunch, but shithead is acceptable.  Cheesy

"As my windshield melts, and my tears evaporate,
Leaving only charcoal to defend -
Finally I understand the feelings of the few,
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we were all equal in the end."

-Waters

IP Logged

Narmolanya
Korthos Resident

I Love Drama!!

Reply #13 - Oct 11th, 2011 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
I am a nice guy as well but no way in hell would I accept blame for something I didn't do. Most of the time if you call someone on their bullshit they will back off.

Being a nice guy dosnt mean you have to be a pushover.

IP Logged

Razcar
Dragon Raider

Jag Älskar Drama!

Reply #14 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 5:38am
Print Post  
I never understood this "sticking it out" thing. Maybe it's a cultural gap - you yanks do have a lot of macho bullshit going on. If it is not working (or if the price to get it to work is way higher than the potential gain) you say thanks, leave and try something else. Repeatedy hitting your head against a brick wall is just going to make you even more dumb.

And no, don't give me any romanticized crap about "the joy of beating something against all odds". Yes sure, with your guild in content that matters, but in a throwaway PUG, fuck that. I do agree that it can be fun to see a PUG chug along to its inevitable demise, but then you have agreed in the first place that you are only there for that morbid experience rather than a completion.

IP Logged

Jizzly
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Oct 12th, 2011 at 6:25am
Print Post  
Narmolanya wrote on Oct 11th, 2011 at 6:46pm:
I am a nice guy as well but no way in hell would I accept blame for something I didn't do. Most of the time if you call someone on their bullshit they will back off.

Being a nice guy dosnt mean you have to be a pushover.

Razcar wrote on Oct 12th, 2011 at 5:38am:
I never understood this "sticking it out" thing. Maybe it's a cultural gap - you yanks do have a lot of macho bullshit going on. If it is not working (or if the price to get it to work is way higher than the potential gain) you say thanks, leave and try something else. Repeatedy hitting your head against a brick wall is just going to make you even more dumb.

And no, don't give me any romanticized crap about "the joy of beating something against all odds". Yes sure, with your guild in content that matters, but in a throwaway PUG, fuck that. I do agree that it can be fun to see a PUG chug along to its inevitable demise, but then you have agreed in the first place that you are only there for that morbid experience rather than a completion.

What they said.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint