Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Clonk (Read 17352 times)
aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Clonk
Oct 13th, 2011 at 3:10pm
Print Post  
Since the other forums are down, and there no other resource I can think of, I'm willing to accept your opinions as advice.

Anything wrong with the following Clonk build?

17 Cle/3Mnk, taking TWF and PA as Monk extra feats.

Str 16 <- level ups here
Dex 15
Con 14
Wis 15
Int 8
Cha 8.

Feats:
TWF
ITWF
GTWF
Toughness
Power Attack
IC: Blunt
Empower Healing (Radiant Servant PrE)
Maximize
Quicken
Extend

That's not opinion, that's science. And science is one cold hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Re: Clonk
Reply #1 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
I think it was Update 9 that changed stunning fist to be based on character level, not monk levels. My 16/2 clonk currently has a DC of around 38 in sun stance with +10 stunners, and my 15/2/1 is somewhere around there as well. Stunning fist and aura = easy button on a wisdom-based clonk.

I have a variant of Valiance's solo build on Orien. On Khyber I went helf caster clonk, aiming for 18/2 (had a starting wis of 17, level-ups to wis). I recall that feats on both included stunning fist, toughness, extend, TWF empower healing, maximize, ITWF, quicken, and heighten. Not sure what IC: blunt is going to do for you - compare another 5% chance of a crit against a casting feat.

By dumping wisdom and splashing three levels, you're going to occupy that middle ground where your casting sucks so badly you don't even need to slot greater command, implosion or destruction because they won't work, your SP suffer greatly enough that you're borderline as a raid healer (finishing moves help offset this, if you can keep your ki up), and you're not doing the same DPS as a pure melee in spite of your sacrifices.

Decide what you want your clonk to do. Even with the str and dumping wisdom, without stunning fist I doubt that your build will do any more melee damage overall  than a casting clonk with stunning fist can do. Yours suffers from far worse casting, and perhaps slightly worse healing.

Even with level-ups to Str, I would imagine that your to-hit is still going to be marginal enough that power attack will mostly remain off unless you have an Axer package. What race are you going to take - extra feat on human, rogue sneak attack and trap saves on helf?

Memnir wrote on Jun 14th, 2013 at 10:59am:
Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Reply #2 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
Actually, a friend asked for a Cleric Healer/Melee build, and the best thing I could think of was a clonk. I pulled this from my head, without much experience in playing a cleric or monk, actually.

IC is the weakest feat, I admit that.
It looks like Human, but HElf is tasty, too.
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2011 at 5:56pm by aDifferentHandle »  

That's not opinion, that's science. And science is one cold hearted bitch with a 14 inch strap on.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #3 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
I vaguely recall you having a character on Orien, if so, I'd be happy to meet up with you and your friend on my 18 and run something. My other clonk is also level 18, but on Khyber.

Some people like their fighter / clerics (Paterik on Orien, for example), but they don't really interest me much. Evasion, saves, AC, and stances make me prefer my clonks to my capstone cleric. And did I mention evasion? It bears repeating.

Here are the my.ddo pages for both my clonks:

http://my.ddo.com/character/khyber/kimberliite

http://my.ddo.com/character/orien/khimberlite

Clonks are pretty common, because you gain a lot without giving up very much.

I leveled a cleric and a monk before seriously running any clonks. With the battle cleric stigma out there, your friend will likely run into some hate from puggers if they try to melee and heal at the same time without having a lot of experience. Depending on the group and the quest / quest difficulty, your friend might be in front of the group, or standing back healbotting. Clerics often get blamed for a wipe no matter what, but recognizing when to lead and when to stand back takes some time and judgement. If they run static group or guild runs, that is less of a problem, and if they have run divines in DDO before, they'll be fine.

Note to any Turbine staffers reading this, and one I genuinely hope you share around the office: DDO has become a shit game because y'all have made it a shit game. Once it was great. Now, it's a festering puddle of monkey diarrhea. No matter how you try to justify it, or pat yourselves on the back for doing great jobs... it's a shit game now because of you. Y'all keep on giving the players the middle finger, and you keep expecting us to reward you for the abuse. I've had it with you narcissistic fuckwads and your myopic policies of ineptitude.

IP Logged

aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Reply #4 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Praising Evasion won't work for me. My Characters on Orien are 20 Rogue, 18/2 Pally/Monk, 16/2/2 Bard/Fgt/Rog, 18/2 Bard/Rog, 13 Ranger and 6 Fgt (who's going to be a Blitz when he's big).

But the friend is actually from Ghallanda, where I have literally no characters. I'll keep your advice in mind, and link this thread to him.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #5 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
aDifferentHandle wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:03pm:
Praising Evasion won't work for me. My Characters on Orien are 20 Rogue, 18/2 Pally/Monk, 16/2/2 Bard/Fgt/Rog, 18/2 Bard/Rog, 13 Ranger and 6 Fgt (who's going to be a Blitz when he's big).

So almost every character of yours has evasion and/or a bucket of hit points. Do you know what the game is like without it? Roll a pure cleric with 8 dex. Try to level him to 20. You will probably ragequit before 16.

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #6 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
Kimberlite wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:09pm:
So almost every character of yours has evasion and/or a bucket of hit points. Do you know what the game is like without it? Roll a pure cleric with 8 dex. Try to level him to 20. You will probably ragequit before 16.

I started DDO with a Paladin 18/Rogue 2 and followed that up with a Wizard 18/Rogue 2.  Both outstanding characters to start with because they're both extremely forgiving right up to level 20, but I'm glad that I've made all of my characters since then without Evasion.  Not because Evasion isn't awesome, but just because it made me finally get some play skills that I didn't have before.

I paid a lot more attention to enemy casters once I no longer had Evasion + Paladin saves or Insightful Reflexes.  Smiley

fnord

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #7 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
On Gland you should have him look up Littlejunk (bigjunk's clonk, unless he TR'd and I missed it) or Niktoo (another great clonk unless he Tr'd)

Either one will get him the info he needs though.

IP Logged

JC
My Little Pony

Reply #8 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:55pm
Print Post  

That was the first character I enjoyed enough to get to level 20.  Grin

Alekx wrote on Jun 15th, 2011 at 11:46pm:
Fuck you and your political correctness. Eat a big fat conservative homo cock while you gaze at pony pictures with a hose up your ass.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
JC wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 7:55pm:
That was the first character I enjoyed enough to get to level 20.  Grin

Same here. But after playing a clonk, I wouldn't go back unless the cleric capstone got hugely buffed.

IP Logged

JakLee
Bailiff

Monotremes and Money

Reply #10 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 9:29pm
Print Post  
I modded an impaqt Fvs18/monk2 build for my first fvs life... lots of fun - elf dual scimmy and such - no bursts but have more than enough sp to spam through if needed

from Preamus: Quote:
at least i'm agnostic so while I "think" you're full of crap I don't "know" you're full of crap

Strakeln wrote on Feb 1st, 2012 at 10:37pm:
JakLee will be the bailiff.  He's got a stun gun and everything.

Have you seen my platypus?
There are two types of people in this world:
1. Those who need closure.

IP Logged

Gunga
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Fuck You.

Reply #11 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Please. Don't say clonk. You embrass us all.

Smrti wrote on Mar 22nd, 2013 at 3:00pm:
Gunga is the best.

IP Logged

ScaredyCat
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 9:37pm:

Why? What's wrong with 'clonk'?

Re evasion: I love my clonk. And up until recently I would go on and on about her having evasion which one very good player would ridicule me for pointing out that without a decent reflex save evasion is useless and laughed hard when I died in a trap proving his point Smiley

http://ddowiki.com/page/Evasion ; :"When you make a successful Reflex save against an effect that normally does half damage when saved against, you suffer no damage instead."

ie first you have to *have* a reflex save.

He pointed out that it's hard to get reflex saves on my human clonk. Her last two lives were helf (although with the useless sorc dili which I did for fun rather than common sense). The suggestion is to helf her again with the pally dili

As has been mentioned there is the temptation to do all things not as good as they could be while neglecting the main strengths of the class (healing sp pools). So I tend to just do 2/18 and run always in water stance to make up for the cleric levels and capstone I am missing as well as add saves and basically run her as a divine caster in self sufficient parties or save sp for healing otherwise. Any mob mosquito biting in the end game she does is to try to add an effect like improv destruct or improv shattermantle to make it easier for fellow party members to do their stuff. I can still stunning fist things in epic occasionally. DOT on bosses as usual.

I have half started a 3/17 for the little monk buffs as there is a good synergy there. Halfling too. Again the question, half assed melee or half assed healer/divine? I think I'm going to just end up wis all the way though and she'll just end up as a healer buffer for help in parties.

I'm sure people happily solo on clonks but I think for me I'd probably beef up a horc with fighter and barb levels instead if I meleed a cleric.

That said, partying, clonks are super fun and I would highly recommend them Smiley

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2011 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Gunga wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 9:37pm:

clonkity clonk clonk, clonk ccclllllooooooonnnnnkkkkk

IP Logged

aDifferentHandle
Abbot Raider

omg, that's the funky
shit

Reply #14 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 3:50am
Print Post  

Actually, I have a level 5 pure bard on Wayfinder, which I plan to cap. Smiley

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #15 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
aDifferentHandle wrote on Oct 13th, 2011 at 3:10pm:
Since the other forums are down, and there no other resource I can think of, I'm willing to accept your opinions as advice.

Anything wrong with the following Clonk build?

17 Cle/3Mnk, taking TWF and PA as Monk extra feats.

Str 16 <- level ups here
Dex 15
Con 14
Wis 15
Int 8
Cha 8.

Feats:
TWF
ITWF
GTWF
Toughness
Power Attack
IC: Blunt
Empower Healing (Radiant Servant PrE)
Maximize
Quicken
Extend

I think wisdom based has much more synergy than strength based.  Drop Extend and take heighten.  Fit stunning fist in there somewhere.  Despite what dogmatic people might say, you can drop power attack without the world ending.  Stunning fist will get you more DPS vs. trash, and you don't really need more DPS vs. bosses, since you have divine punishment. 

Also, I wouldn't plan on a 32 point clonk.  Being a hybrid, you really do benefit a LOT from the past lives and extra stat points in reaching thresholds.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #16 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
I have one . . . it's kinda shitty.  I mean really all it can do is heal things and avoid a bunch of damage from evasion.   It's offensive casting sucks donkey-dick and has pretty shitty DPS (does decent against undead with bursting ToD rings and Epic Mabar Wraps).  it non-epics he used to vorpal shit but now that don't work.

A friend of mine has one with stunning fist, it works pretty well.  I'd do it but I've got some general apathy right now with the toon regarding WTF I want to do with him.

His suckage lies in end-game, levels 1-19 were a blast.  Hell of a lot of fun to play and very forgiving to a new player.  I just went with an 18/2 and used the same splits as valiance.  I think the best race . . . is half-orc as you can put level-ups in WIS and still get a decent STR.
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2011 at 4:30pm by Bigjunk »  

IP Logged

kickass
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #17 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
stunning fist DC = 44, but you're not going to be hitting a lot of mobs on a wis/dex based cleric. when you hit something there's a damn good chance for it to get stunned, the problem is you have to actually hit the mob for it to work.

still like it more than pure cleric though, it's much more survivable.

and clerics make much better healers than flavored holes, but it's easier to suck as a cleric because people can't seem to realize things like 'mana conservation' and 'scrolls' are pretty awesome ways to stretch a bluebar.  quicken feat is  a crutch in most content.

IP Logged

Kimberlite
Shroud Slacker

I Love Drama!

Reply #18 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
kickass wrote on Oct 14th, 2011 at 5:17pm:
stunning fist DC = 44, but you're not going to be hitting a lot of mobs on a wis/dex based cleric. when you hit something there's a damn good chance for it to get stunned, the problem is you have to actually hit the mob for it to work.

On my clonks, I mainline heroism pots, and spend a lot of SP on divine favor / divine power. I also wear cannith crafted +2 attack gear as soon as I can (blindness ward of battle skill or something), and the Sora Kell set for another +2. Keeping to-hit as high as possible on a clonk is mandatory, agreed.

IP Logged

AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Oct 14th, 2011 at 4:29pm:
I have one . . . it's kinda shitty.  I mean really all it can do is heal things and avoid a bunch of damage from evasion.   It's offensive casting sucks donkey-dick and has pretty shitty DPS (does decent against undead with bursting ToD rings and Epic Mabar Wraps).

Yup, this is why past lives are so important to doing a clonk... or any hybrid properly.  Sorc/wizard past lives to make up for lower spell pen/DC's, fighter/monk past lives to make up for lower to hit/damage. 

If you can hit the right thresholds though, it kicks ass. 

To anyone planning a clonk (or any kind of hybrid, really), take a look at Groan's build for some inspiration (when the real forums come back up).  I used to think clonks and hybrids were crap, Groan's build made me "get it."
« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2011 at 5:47pm by AtomicMew »  

IP Logged

Nerdychaz
Waterworks Kobold

I was queer before the
ponies!

Reply #20 - Oct 17th, 2011 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
It all depends on what you want to do with your clonk.  My clonk is built completely differently for maximum Wisdom and spell pen (as a first lifer).  However, another player I know has pretty much dumped wisdom and is a decent soloist clonk.  It is up to you how you want to play your cleric.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #21 - Oct 18th, 2011 at 3:30am
Print Post  
Nerdychaz wrote on Oct 17th, 2011 at 10:03pm:
It all depends on what you want to do with your clonk.  My clonk is built completely differently for maximum Wisdom and spell pen (as a first lifer).  However, another player I know has pretty much dumped wisdom and is a decent soloist clonk.  It is up to you how you want to play your cleric.

Being decent, and being great, are two different things.  Why be half assed when you could be full assed?

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Nerdychaz
Waterworks Kobold

I was queer before the
ponies!

Reply #22 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 4:39am
Print Post  
I said he is decent because he is not full assed.  This guy, Kalener of Cannith, has geared and built in such a confounding way that I don't know how it works, but it does... for him.  Not something I would play, but my playstyle is radically different.

IP Logged

Bigjunk
Horoluth Raider

Hjeal meh!

Reply #23 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 9:32am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 18th, 2011 at 3:30am:
Being decent, and being great, are two different things.  Why be half assed when you could be full assed?

Full-assed requires a lot more work.  I'm sure as shit not willing to grind out 14 PLs and put 20 pieces of epic gear on a toon I'll only be using to heal raids.

IP Logged

Nerdychaz
Waterworks Kobold

I was queer before the
ponies!

Reply #24 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Bigjunk wrote on Oct 19th, 2011 at 9:32am:
Full-assed requires a lot more work.  I'm sure as shit not willing to grind out 14 PLs and put 20 pieces of epic gear on a toon I'll only be using to heal raids.

Sage nod.
My cleric is just an alt to me.  My friends know that if they want a heal bot, they can just buy one in the market.  If they want enemies to implode, they ask me to log my clonk.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint