Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Help with 34 pt soloable bard (Read 15166 times)
Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Re: Help with 34 pt soloable bard
Reply #25 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 2:35am
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 2:27am:
What is the point of the 4 fighter levels?

3 feats, Haste 2, Weapon Specialization (+2 dmg/swing)

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #26 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 2:39am
Print Post  
Quote:
3 feats, Haste 2, Weapon Specialization (+2 dmg/swing)

Haste you can get with the rogue levels. Weapon specialization you can get with assorted bard stuff. Three feats are nice and all, but I don't know if they are worth trading away the extra boosts to the bard songs. You're basically trading away damage and attack bonuses for the whole party for damage and attack bonuses for only you. Going human is enough to get you the feats you need, and you have to consider that if you want to play a bard in the higher levels, giving the party that extra 1 or 2 to damage or attack is probably going to be far more beneficial than your extra feats.

JDollar wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

JDollar wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:15am:
To put in DnD terms Grace is a CR 60 EE Ball Busting Bitch

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 2:57am
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 2:39am:
Haste you can get with the rogue levels. Weapon specialization you can get with assorted bard stuff. Three feats are nice and all, but I don't know if they are worth trading away the extra boosts to the bard songs. You're basically trading away damage and attack bonuses for the whole party for damage and attack bonuses for only you. Going human is enough to get you the feats you need, and you have to consider that if you want to play a bard in the higher levels, giving the party that extra 1 or 2 to damage or attack is probably going to be far more beneficial than your extra feats.

a 14 Bard (WC) gives all the same song bonuses as a lvl 20 SS.

I personally went 14/4 ftr/2 barb on Warcrye for her first life. Easily hung out in Elite ToD and Epics as a DPS and could kinda scroll heal in a pinch.

If he's going for 20-then-TR, he only needs 12-14 Bard, rest is w/e. Fighter is beefier than Rogue and allows for more Toughness if he wants ot be a melee.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #28 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 3:04am
Print Post  
Quote:
a 14 Bard (WC) gives all the same song bonuses as a lvl 20 SS.

I personally went 14/4 ftr/2 barb on Warcrye for her first life. Easily hung out in Elite ToD and Epics as a DPS and could kinda scroll heal in a pinch.

If he's going for 20-then-TR, he only needs 12-14 Bard, rest is w/e. Fighter is beefier than Rogue and allows for more Toughness if he wants ot be a melee.

But that's not true. A lvl 12 bard, as opposed to a lvl 18 bard, misses out on +2 to Inspire Courage, Inspire Heroics, and mass suggestion. A WC can melee plenty well if built correctly, and the two rogue levels would be there in either plan. A lvl 12 bard also misses all lvl 5 and 6 spells, which may or may not matter to Zog, but worth mentioning anyway.

she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #29 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 3:17am
Print Post  
Quote:
It's the same thing with Blitz builds vs. Barbarians.

You're only as powerful as your action boosts allow. the only difference with HElves is that you can use Damage Boost AND Haste boost simultaneously.

and honestly, how many battles have you ever seen where you need more than 10 Boosts?

Ya, I really hope they eventually fix that squashed face thing. :/

The real question is, how much more DPS is H-elf? If I remember correctly, it is only a point more - maybe two while the 10 sec boost is going.  Which, to be fair, is pathetic.

Also, you obviously don't shortman many epic raids.  A minute minute and forty seconds of boosts won't get you far.
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2011 at 4:01am by Epoch »  

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Nerdychaz
Waterworks Kobold

I was queer before the
ponies!

Reply #30 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 4:35am
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 2:39am:

The OP asked for a solo build so party benefits are meh.  The extra fighter feats round out the build quite nicely. 

The build I posted is meant to be more of an example of what you can do with the class, a template.  You could easily build in more damage with a different race.  It could work as a warforged, even, quite easily.  Many people like to splash barbarian for rage, but in my experience, i don't like preventing my casting ability.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #31 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 4:58am
Print Post  
No one is going to solo end game with any build of bard, so that's when the party buffs are important.

she's Kmack's property

Quote:

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #32 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 5:16am
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 4:58am:
No one is going to solo end game with any build of bard, so that's when the party buffs are important.

Not true.  You can rape those explorer zones!  Yeah, take that end game explorer zone!

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Nothingtoseehere
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #33 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Okay so SS is out of the window Smiley See - I really know nothing about bards whatsoever!

14/4/2 is my plan atm, now just to decide whether to go Horc, human or WF (my preference is WF atm)...

Thanks for all the advice and input so far everyone - all of it is useful Wink

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #34 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 9:50am
Print Post  
If you go WF you can't heal yourself, which is a major part of soloability.

she's Kmack's property

Quote:

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #35 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 9:50am:
If you go WF you can't heal yourself, which is a major part of soloability.

You can umd wands and scrolls.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #36 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
For soloing 14/4/2 is probably the best bet.

You won't have a ton of mana to be throwing a bazillion spells around (Unless you have a torc + conc opp thing going) your DC's will suck balls anyway as a WC. You can save most of it for buffs/heals mainly.

2 Rogue levels for evasion and traps.

4 fighter lvls fill in for extra feats, to hit/damage.

You can get your songs to give +9/+7 (Maybe a bit lower if AP is tight).

For general leveling questing, this is pretty strong (Good gear also helps) for soloing.  Solid DPS, top notch self buffing with good enough self healing to survive most things outside of raids.

Add to that Evasion with trapsmithing.  You might not be blazing through quests at the speed of a TR group, but most quests are soloable with this build.

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

Oakianus
Troleplayer

I Really Do Love Drama!

Reply #37 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
Well, you CAN heal yourself as a WF, and more if you have a blood docent, but just not nearly as effectively as you could if you were any other race.  As much as the immunity to level drains are dead useful, they're only useful for about 30 seconds in a handful of quests.  Everything else you get from being WF, you can replicate with equipment.

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Reply #38 - Oct 28th, 2011 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Plus, it's quite awhile before you get that umd, especially if you go WC.

she's Kmack's property

Quote:

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Oct 29th, 2011 at 3:19am
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 3:04am:
But that's not true. A lvl 12 bard, as opposed to a lvl 18 bard, misses out on +2 to Inspire Courage, Inspire Heroics, and mass suggestion. A WC can melee plenty well if built correctly, and the two rogue levels would be there in either plan. A lvl 12 bard also misses all lvl 5 and 6 spells, which may or may not matter to Zog, but worth mentioning anyway.

lvl 14 bard is the last boost to IC til 20 I do believe. WC gets one more over SS.

and ya, missing some spells can suck, but there are scrolls for most. and the WC songs.

Epoch wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 3:17am:
The real question is, how much more DPS is H-elf? If I remember correctly, it is only a point more - maybe two while the 10 sec boost is going.  Which, to be fair, is pathetic.

Also, you obviously don't shortman many epic raids.  A minute minute and forty seconds of boosts won't get you far.

Not on my Bard, no.

Also, the boosts are 20 seconds with 10 seconds downtime.

It works the same as a Blitz or any Kensei fighter.

Grace wrote on Oct 28th, 2011 at 1:01pm:
Plus, it's quite awhile before you get that umd, especially if you go WC.

It helps if you have the gear and don't go HOrc like a tard.
« Last Edit: Oct 29th, 2011 at 3:24am by »  

IP Logged

Nothingtoseehere
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #40 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
I'm not too worried about the gear... I've got some bard stuff locked away and have conc opp, lit II, etc.

There's still a question mark over the race - I'd really like to stay WF for the gear he's already got, but if it's going to nerf his survivability and soloability, it may not be worth it. It's between WF and Human at the moment :s

Going with the 14/4/2 plan... at which levels should I take the fighter and rogue levels? I'm guessing rogue at 1, then maybe again at around 10? When would fighter pop up? (I'll essentially only be taking 2 fighter levels as I'll be 14/2/2 at lvl 18 and then TRing immediately upon 20).

I should be using the heart of wood on Saturday after his 20th Shroud (will probably take a +3 tome just for kicks as I doubt I'll be investing anymore GS ingredients into him til he ends his journey in many years' time and by then, my other toons will have hopefully farmed out all the epic items he could ever possibly need.) so a few final tips would be great so that I can be sure I make the right choice...

Why am I already dreading this bard life?

IP Logged

Calvet
Puppy Farmer

I take stroke pills!

Reply #41 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 9:36am
Print Post  
You can get away with any race I suppose, but Half Orc for MOAR Dps will help speed things up a bit.

You'll need a visor clicky or 2 to make up for not being WF or use hirlings that have Deathward, but I think it's worth it for the MOAR heals and MOAR Dps.

Blank is better qualified to give a level breakdown, but yeah Rogue at lvl 1 for sure.

If you don't have HOrc, `Human is probably the next best option.

Epoch wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 1:22am:
You do what i do when people say I don't have to drink pots? I dot the boss and use BBs on the trash and say, " Aww shucks, im outta sp."

Quote:
Now I am a very bad cleric. I just wait like a vulture for everyone to die. 

Light a man a fire and he will be warm for the night.  Light a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

IP Logged

Madcow430
Shroud Slacker

I have Mad Cow Disease

Reply #42 - Nov 2nd, 2011 at 11:51am
Print Post  
I recently did an experiment to try something a bit different bardwise.  I went with a 16bard/2fighter/2rogue split.  Spellsinger melee rogue.  I like this build alot actually.  It can handle any trap in the game, self heals, party buffs, and has healed shroud and vod norm alone.  It's a very gear dependent build however and may not interest you.

People expect songs from a bard, hence taking 16 instead of stopping at 14.  Still has full songs, only surpassed in IC by a warchanter.  Duration is slightly less though.  I'm a busy player however and this suits me fine.  She uses dual rapiers lit2/rad2.  And does just fine in epics despite being lighter on hp than I would normally go for. 

Guildportal appears to be down or under maintenence.  If you are curious I'll copy the meat of my build post from gimpin.

The Warcrye build is a good one as well.  I'd recommend that as well.  It's really not that hard to push a little healing amp and benefit from your own divine healing spells.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 4:13am
Print Post  
Madcow430 wrote on Nov 2nd, 2011 at 11:51am:
I recently did an experiment to try something a bit different bardwise.  I went with a 16bard/2fighter/2rogue split.  Spellsinger melee rogue.  I like this build alot actually.  It can handle any trap in the game, self heals, party buffs, and has healed shroud and vod norm alone.  It's a very gear dependent build however and may not interest you.

People expect songs from a bard, hence taking 16 instead of stopping at 14.  Still has full songs, only surpassed in IC by a warchanter.  Duration is slightly less though.  I'm a busy player however and this suits me fine.  She uses dual rapiers lit2/rad2.  And does just fine in epics despite being lighter on hp than I would normally go for. 

Guildportal appears to be down or under maintenence.  If you are curious I'll copy the meat of my build post from gimpin.

The Warcrye build is a good one as well.  I'd recommend that as well.  It's really not that hard to push a little healing amp and benefit from your own divine healing spells.

Felgor put together a nice 18/2 melee SS build he REALLY enjoys too. It's also WF.

If I could go back and redo Warcrye, I think I might try the 15/3/2 route, but that would just encourage people to ask me to waste songs on their pitiful AC.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #44 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 4:42am
Print Post  
Quote:
but that would just encourage people to ask me to waste songs on their pitiful AC.

That is when you speak up and say no.  When they say gimme you say STFU OR I WILL KILL YOU!

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Nov 3rd, 2011 at 4:42am:
That is when you speak up and say no.  When they say gimme you say STFU OR I WILL KILL YOU!

Oh I do say "Fuck off" in a most polite manner. Especially since i only have 14 levels so if they're asking, they're retarded and obviously unable to comprehend advanced language skills.

IP Logged

Nothingtoseehere
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #46 - Nov 3rd, 2011 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Guess I'm gonna go human for the extra healing and feat... I'm kind of scared about it now though as I still fear I'm going to hate this life and drag through it...

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 2:23am
Print Post  
Nothingtoseehere wrote on Nov 3rd, 2011 at 11:09pm:
Guess I'm gonna go human for the extra healing and feat... I'm kind of scared about it now though as I still fear I'm going to hate this life and drag through it...

Do you like melees?

Play this like a barbarian that can sing. and self haste. and self displace. etc etc etc.

IP Logged

Nothingtoseehere
Waterworks Kobold

I Love Drama!

Reply #48 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 8:40am
Print Post  
I did enjoy the barbarian for levelling purposes, it's true - but at the moment I'm enjoying levelling my sorc and at cap I prefer casters.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Nothingtoseehere wrote on Nov 4th, 2011 at 8:40am:
I did enjoy the barbarian for levelling purposes, it's true - but at the moment I'm enjoying levelling my sorc and at cap I prefer casters.

Who doesn't?

If you really wanna have fun, go for 14/2/2 (18-> TR at 20)

14 Bard, 2 Barb, 2 Rogue. Healthy, Evasion, Haste, Displace, Songs, minor heals, etc.

If you want a levelling order, I can put that up too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint