Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) TR 12 monk (ninja)/6 fighter (stalwart)/2 paladin (Read 18173 times)
Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

TR 12 monk (ninja)/6 fighter (stalwart)/2 paladin
Oct 30th, 2011 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
Any (intelligent) advice? Smiley

Level 20 Lawful Good Human Female
(6 Fighter / 2 Paladin / 12 Monk)
Hit Points: 366
Spell Points: 0

BAB: 17/17/22/2727
Fortitude: 23
Reflex: 17
Will: 17

Starting    Feat/Enhancement
Abilities    Base Stats    Modified Stats
(34 Point)    (Level 1)      (Level 20)
Strength           15                22
Dexterity          15                17
Constitution       14                16
Intelligence        8                 8
Wisdom             14                16
Charisma           14                16

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Level 1 (Monk)
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Monk
Feat: (Human Bonus) Toughness
Feat: (Human Bonus) Toughness
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Power Attack

Level 3 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Past Life: Disciple of the Fist
Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Inevitable Dominion: Fists of Darkness

Level 4 (Monk)

Level 5 (Monk)

Level 6 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Dodge
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 7 (Paladin)

Level 8 (Paladin)

Level 9 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 10 (Monk)

Level 11 (Monk)

Level 12 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 13 (Monk)

Level 14 (Monk)

Level 15 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 17 (Fighter)

Level 18 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Specialization: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 19 (Fighter)

Level 20 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Impproved Sunder
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2011 at 7:51pm by Feynman »  

"Science makes godlike -- it is all over with priests and gods when man becomes scientific. Moral: science is the forbidden as such -- it alone is forbidden. Science is the *first* sin, the *original* sin. *This alone is morality.* ``Thou shalt not know'' -- the rest follows."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Grace
Completionist (i.t.p.)

I Love Drama!

Re: TR 12 monk (ninja)/6 fighter (stalwart)/2 paladin
Reply #1 - Oct 30th, 2011 at 8:25pm
Print Post  
Feynman wrote on Oct 30th, 2011 at 7:26pm:
Any (intelligent) advice? Smiley

Wear a condom.

JDollar wrote on Apr 10th, 2013 at 5:25pm:
she's Kmack's property

Quote:
You're obviously important to the community.  And not just because your skin is so supple and soft and smells like honeysuckle and friendship.

JDollar wrote on Jul 10th, 2013 at 2:15am:
To put in DnD terms Grace is a CR 60 EE Ball Busting Bitch

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #2 - Oct 30th, 2011 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Grace wrote on Oct 30th, 2011 at 8:25pm:
Wear a condom.

Where were you 8 years ago?

"Science makes godlike -- it is all over with priests and gods when man becomes scientific. Moral: science is the forbidden as such -- it alone is forbidden. Science is the *first* sin, the *original* sin. *This alone is morality.* ``Thou shalt not know'' -- the rest follows."
-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2011 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
What kind of HP are you looking at with this build? Earth III, SD I seems like a pretty decent build in theory, but will it hit LoB tanking levels?

Theologians don't know nothin' about my soul

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2011 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on Oct 30th, 2011 at 9:11pm:
What kind of HP are you looking at with this build? Earth III, SD I seems like a pretty decent build in theory, but will it hit LoB tanking levels?

I'm looking at 800 hp with decent end game gear.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2011 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
Feynman wrote on Oct 30th, 2011 at 10:25pm:
I'm looking at 800 hp with decent end game gear.

Very nice. 800 HP, Shadow Fade, 15% DR, Improved Evasion. Should be pretty fun.

I would probably go Fighter 8 for the extra feat/tier of haste boost, but the Pally route is also pretty attractive.

Edit: Do you have an enhancement layout yet? I've crunched the numbers on a couple of these builds and always found the Monk 12/Fighter X ridiculously tight, especially when trying to fit in Human Versatility. I'll be TRing my Half Orc Godhand soonish, and am still oscillating between Human/Helf 12 Fighter/8 Monk and 12 Monk/8 Fighter.
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2011 at 11:14pm by Vissarion »  

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #6 - Oct 30th, 2011 at 11:48pm
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on Oct 30th, 2011 at 11:11pm:
Very nice. 800 HP, Shadow Fade, 15% DR, Improved Evasion. Should be pretty fun.

I would probably go Fighter 8 for the extra feat/tier of haste boost, but the Pally route is also pretty attractive.

Edit: Do you have an enhancement layout yet? I've crunched the numbers on a couple of these builds and always found the Monk 12/Fighter X ridiculously tight, especially when trying to fit in Human Versatility. I'll be TRing my Half Orc Godhand soonish, and am still oscillating between Human/Helf 12 Fighter/8 Monk and 12 Monk/8 Fighter.

Yea, you have to prioritize; that 3rd tier of haste boost is expensive, so I'm saving a few AP there, which I'll probably dump into paladin enhancements. The 12/8 is fantastic, but I don't need the feats and I want the bonus to saves.

As for 12 fighter, I find the power surge underwhelming compared to touch of death, to say nothing of improved evasion, tier 3 stances, abundant step, etc.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #7 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 2:45am
Print Post  
Here is an idea, fuck the paladin levels.  If you need them for saves then you aren't playing the game correctly and should probably stop skipping school.

OnePercenter wrote on May 15th, 2014 at 9:41am:
I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Sim-Sala-Bim wrote on Jan 27th, 2014 at 2:09am:
It seems like Epoch never loses his popularity.
Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 6:07am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 31st, 2011 at 2:45am:
Here is an idea, fuck the paladin levels.  If you need them for saves then you aren't playing the game correctly and should probably stop skipping school.

Thinking it's for Div Right.

Talk to Larry on Khyber if you know who that is. His toon Rishnark is VERY much like this actually.

IP Logged

Balthazar
Puppy Farmer

Time is of the essence!

Reply #9 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Its pretty hard to comment on a build when you dont provide any insight as to what you are trying to accomplish.

Is this an endgame epic build? A lvling build for monk PL? A DPS build, or AC build?

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #10 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Epoch wrote on Oct 31st, 2011 at 2:45am:

I don't need them, but it just makes a stronger tank; are you suggesting that there is either a feat missing that would be useful (but not worth dropping a toughness), that 10 hp is more valuable than cha bonus to saves, or is it just that the stat spread is thin?

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #11 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Feynman wrote on Oct 31st, 2011 at 9:30am:
I don't need them, but it just makes a stronger tank; are you suggesting that there is either a feat missing that would be useful (but not worth dropping a toughness), that 10 hp is more valuable than cha bonus to saves, or is it just that the stat spread is thin?

nvm reading is hard
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2011 at 9:38am by stainer »  

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #12 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Balthazar wrote on Oct 31st, 2011 at 9:22am:
Its pretty hard to comment on a build when you dont provide any insight as to what you are trying to accomplish.

Is this an endgame epic build? A lvling build for monk PL? A DPS build, or AC build?

No Smiley

I guess technically you could call it DPS, but it's main function is to tank high level content, and I hadn't planned on relying on AC for defense, hence the ninja.

That I rely more on raw DPS than threat boosts to maintain aggro is one of the key selling points, though.
« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2011 at 9:43am by Feynman »  

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Balthazar
Puppy Farmer

Time is of the essence!

Reply #13 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 10:11am
Print Post  
Feynman wrote on Oct 31st, 2011 at 9:38am:
No Smiley

I guess technically you could call it DPS, but it's main function is to tank high level content, and I hadn't planned on relying on AC for defense, hence the ninja.

That I rely more on raw DPS than threat boosts to maintain aggro is one of the key selling points, though.

Taking and holding aggro even with the defender enhancement is going to be rough.

If your not worried about ac/saves, drop the 2 lvls of pally, they are not needed. Take fighter to 8 instead, that will get you fighter weapon spec 1, haste boost 3, and fighter toughness 3.

Get some decent hate boost equipment if you can as well, youll need it.

Your HP look a little low as well. Thats not taking into account toughness and the enhancements is it?

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #14 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Balthazar wrote on Oct 31st, 2011 at 10:11am:
Taking and holding aggro even with the defender enhancement is going to be rough.

Touch of Death.

If your not worried about ac/saves, drop the 2 lvls of pally, they are not needed. Take fighter to 8 instead, that will get you fighter weapon spec 1, haste boost 3, and fighter toughness 3.

Saves is the whole reason for the paladin, vs +1 damage, 10 hp, and 5% haste boost.

Get some decent hate boost equipment if you can as well, youll need it.

Planning on using eClaw set, incite on DT outfit, shintao set, and rumor is that earth stance will start adding threat in u12.

Your HP look a little low as well. Thats not taking into account toughness and the enhancements is it?

800 sounds low for a main tank, but evasion and ninja fade are HUGE in late game content.

My current tank is a warforged 12 monk/7 fighter/1 rogue, but the UMD isn't as useful as I had hoped, and I want to TR my other Champion before I remake him as a Legend, and this is what I put together.

I had actually wanted either an 18/1/1 or an 18/2 for tier 4 stances, but the stat spread just becomes so thin at that point that it's hard not to just go pure monk.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #15 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 11:05am
Print Post  
Feynman wrote on Oct 30th, 2011 at 11:48pm:
Yea, you have to prioritize; that 3rd tier of haste boost is expensive, so I'm saving a few AP there, which I'll probably dump into paladin enhancements. The 12/8 is fantastic, but I don't need the feats and I want the bonus to saves.

As for 12 fighter, I find the power surge underwhelming compared to touch of death, to say nothing of improved evasion, tier 3 stances, abundant step, etc.

I think the biggest thing your build would be missing for me would be Stunning Blow/Stunning Fist, but that's because I'm a stun junkie. That's more where the 12 fighter would be helpful, in providing said feats (and I'd be going Stalwart II anyway, so Power Surge isn't a concern).

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #16 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on Oct 31st, 2011 at 11:05am:
I think the biggest thing your build would be missing for me would be Stunning Blow/Stunning Fist, but that's because I'm a stun junkie. That's more where the 12 fighter would be helpful, in providing said feats (and I'd be going Stalwart II anyway, so Power Surge isn't a concern).

Actually, there are plenty of feats, just swap out a toughness (or two).

What 12 fighter lacks for me is dps; touch of death is ~ 20 damage/hit, averaged out, and earth 3 gives +1 crit multiplier.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Balthazar
Puppy Farmer

Time is of the essence!

Reply #17 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Feynman wrote on Oct 31st, 2011 at 10:28am:
Touch of Death.

Saves is the whole reason for the paladin, vs +1 damage, 10 hp, and 5% haste boost.

Planning on using eClaw set, incite on DT outfit, shintao set, and rumor is that earth stance will start adding threat in u12.

800 sounds low for a main tank, but evasion and ninja fade are HUGE in late game content.

My current tank is a warforged 12 monk/7 fighter/1 rogue, but the UMD isn't as useful as I had hoped, and I want to TR my other Champion before I remake him as a Legend, and this is what I put together.

I had actually wanted either an 18/1/1 or an 18/2 for tier 4 stances, but the stat spread just becomes so thin at that point that it's hard not to just go pure monk.

I play a str based ninja (no incite boosts), its not easy to hold the aggro even with ToD. A multi-shotting ranger can pull aggro from you, as can a raged out barb.  If you want to keep and hold the aggro its going to take some incite gear. Now with the incite gear you list you should be able to hold most aggro, provided the party waits for you to establish.

As for the saves, you get what? +5? Your saves should be pretty nice already. If you think you need to go for it, I still think its not a great idea.

IP Logged

Vissarion
DQ Assaulter

Reply #18 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Balthazar wrote on Oct 31st, 2011 at 11:28am:
I play a str based ninja (no incite boosts), its not easy to hold the aggro even with ToD. A multi-shotting ranger can pull aggro from you, as can a raged out barb.  If you want to keep and hold the aggro its going to take some incite gear. Now with the incite gear you list you should be able to hold most aggro, provided the party waits for you to establish.

As for the saves, you get what? +5? Your saves should be pretty nice already. If you think you need to go for it, I still think its not a great idea.

I think you're underestimating the inherent threat the build will be generating with the changes to Earth stance.

100 base
25 SD I stance
55 Earth III

180% without any threat gear.

IP Logged

Balthazar
Puppy Farmer

Time is of the essence!

Reply #19 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Vissarion wrote on Oct 31st, 2011 at 11:38am:
I think you're underestimating the inherent threat the build will be generating with the changes to Earth stance.

100 base
25 SD I stance
55 Earth III

180% without any threat gear.

I didnt know the numbers that would be adding to earth stance threat actually. I havent used earth stance in a while, hell i havent even played my ninja in over a month.

I was going on my experiences with him up to this time.

IP Logged

Coldflame
Korthos Resident

Reply #20 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 2:14pm
Print Post  

Hmm, drop your CHA to 10, drop pally levels, pump your base STR, take eithe 2 Rog (if a soloist build for traps, umd and such) or 8 Ftr for increased BaB and feats. You are giving up too much in terms of CHA for pally saves.

IP Logged

Feynman
Epic Poster

I regret nothing!

Reply #21 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Actually, someone convinced me that divine righteousness is worth more than 2 feats, and I'm considering this instead:

Level 20 Lawful Good Human Female
(2 Fighter / 6 Paladin / 12 Monk)
Hit Points: 322
Spell Points: 95

BAB: 17/17/22/2727
Fortitude: 23
Reflex: 17
Will: 17

Starting    Feat/Enhancement
Abilities    Base Stats    Modified Stats
(34 Point)    (Level 1)      (Level 20)
Strength           15                22
Dexterity          15                17
Constitution       14                16
Intelligence        8                 8
Wisdom             14                16
Charisma           14                16

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Level 1 (Monk)
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Monk
Feat: (Human Bonus) Power Attack
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Stunning Fist

Level 3 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Past Life: Disciple of the Fist
Feat: (Monk Path) Path of Inevitable Dominion: Fists of Darkness

Level 4 (Monk)

Level 5 (Monk)

Level 6 (Monk)
Feat: (Monk Bonus) Dodge

Level 7 (Paladin)

Level 8 (Paladin)

Level 9 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 10 (Monk)

Level 11 (Monk)

Level 12 (Monk)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 13 (Monk)

Level 14 (Monk)

Level 15 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Weapon Focus: Bludgeoning Weapons

Level 17 (Paladin)

Level 18 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Sunder

Level 19 (Paladin)

Level 20 (Paladin)

Maybe only 750 hp, but a little better defense, self-healing, and much more threat.

-- Friedrich Nietzsche

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #22 - Oct 31st, 2011 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Thinking it's for Div Right.

Talk to Larry on Khyber if you know who that is. His toon Rishnark is VERY much like this actually.

I want the bonus to saves.

Argument invalidated.

Feynman wrote on Oct 31st, 2011 at 9:30am:

As a monk (even 12 levels) your saves will already be high enough to fail on a 1.  Sorry, once you get past that all your doing is playing with yourself.  It also spreads your stats out too much.  If you want ToD not to be saved against (reducing dmg by half) you need a high wisdom.  You need str to actually hit the boss, and you need con.  CHA is shit and the extra bonus to saves isn't an improvement, it is a waste.

Also, you keep going on about threat.. you don't need that much threat.  You know why pallies have that much threat? Their dps is fucking horseshit against anything not a devil/demon and the like.  Which oddly enough, is no longer endgame.

I just read that the cat followed up by visiting the dog house later that night, dropping some Willie Pete in on the sleeping dog.  #epochsfamiliarFTW

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Fuck. Reading comprehension ftw.

Take 6 Pally, take 18 Pally, take 20 Pally, or take none at all.

IP Logged

Epoch
Alaskan Ice Hole

Epochalypse

Reply #24 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 3:50am
Print Post  
Quote:
Fuck. Reading comprehension ftw.

Take 6 Pally, take 18 Pally, take 20 Pally, or take none at all.

Better yet, don't take pally at all.  I have one, I should know.

Even against donuts.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint