Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 35 Replies) Maj.Malphunktion promises to fix all bugs in DDO (Read 12378 times)
AtomicMew
Horoluth Raider

I Love Drama!

Maj.Malphunktion promises to fix all bugs in DDO
Nov 23rd, 2011 at 2:02am
Print Post  
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=4185667&postcount=91

Okay, not really.  But he's getting quite bent out of shape about the criticism he's receiving for the whole exploit thing.  He's quote sniping worse than john allen muhammad. 

I'm actually mostly surprised the mods have just let that thread go, rather than bahleeting it like 99% of everyone thought would happen.

IP Logged

Blank_Zero
Ex Member

Re: Maj.Malphunktion promises to fix all bugs in DDO
Reply #1 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 2:04am
Print Post  
The only difference between a bug and an exploit is how much the player likes it.

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 2:39am
Print Post  
I am working in QA. Actually, I am the head of the QA department in my company. Being correct, I am the only one working in the QA department and we are the biggest company of our kind in Germany (big in turnover, not employees).
I wish I had the balls of Maj. I am just to busy covering my back for not being blamed for failures I  said would happen. So I am writing pedantic emails saying "this and this will happen if we take no action". We take no action, and then it happens. But I did sent my email. Isnīt it a great quality control?

IP Logged

rest
One Man Wolfpack

Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 2:48am
Print Post  
Never saw it on Llama. I find that hard to believe.

But whatevs.

IP Logged

QuantumFX
Shroud Slacker

Now back to the GOOD part!

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 3:13am
Print Post  
IMHO - The man is a saint for not going completely 5150 on the playerbase.  It’s one fucking bug in a feature that was put on lammaland really late in the preview.  Then, both systems that he needed the most (bug reporting tool and the forums) were broken by 2 other departments (Actual code monkeys and the forum admins.).

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 3:31am
Print Post  
Quote:
I wish I had the balls of Maj. I am just to busy covering my back for not being blamed for failures I  said would happen. So I am writing pedantic emails saying "this and this will happen if we take no action". We take no action, and then it happens. But I did sent my email. Isnīt it a great quality control?

Sadly that's how things are now in a good percentage of the industry...
It's the same in the Telco. I don't remember the number of mails I made that were basically : If we do that it will backfire on us.
Sadly, I'm at Integration and Support. So when I tell that we are going to end up with a mess, I'm also the one that will have to clean up the mess.  Angry
But when it comes to finding somebody guilty of the mess, as you said : I got the email telling it was going to end up that way, so I'm covered.  Cool

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

scraap
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 6:25am
Print Post  
QuantumFX wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 3:13am:
IMHO - The man is a saint for not going completely 5150 on the playerbase.  It’s one fucking bug in a feature that was put on lammaland really late in the preview.  Then, both systems that he needed the most (bug reporting tool and the forums) were broken by 2 other departments (Actual code monkeys and the forum admins.).

Tack on that they never fucking bothered to post that the server was updated. Only way I even knew there was chests from rednames was one of Shades posts, and by the time I got around to checking how that worked, only had time to test it the once to see what kind of rednames.

I'd be willing to bet there's a tenth of the 'previewers' around past the first couple initial days on a lam-patch.

edit: On the specific quote, I could see that one pushing for agile development. That usually cuts the in-house testing down by about a quarter, but it'd mean smaller more frequent updates, not these once a quarter or so massive changes.
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2011 at 6:44am by »  

IP Logged

Azog
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Flav wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 3:31am:
Sadly that's how things are now in a good percentage of the industry...
It's the same in the Telco. I don't remember the number of mails I made that were basically : If we do that it will backfire on us.
Sadly, I'm at Integration and Support. So when I tell that we are going to end up with a mess, I'm also the one that will have to clean up the mess.  Angry
But when it comes to finding somebody guilty of the mess, as you said : I got the email telling it was going to end up that way, so I'm covered.  Cool

The "good" thing in my job, if something goes wrong, then you cannot fix it anymore.
So my office is then full of screaming "shit" "fucking shit" "fucking shit fag" and so on.
In a normal day I hear like 10 times "fag" and 20 times "fuck". Important is the volume, if they are screaming or not.

IP Logged

Auran
Stormreaver Piker

www.drama.yourserver
.ok?

Reply #8 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Quote:
Tack on that they never fucking bothered to post that the server was updated. Only way I even knew there was chests from rednames was one of Shades posts, and by the time I got around to checking how that worked, only had time to test it the once to see what kind of rednames.

I'd be willing to bet there's a tenth of the 'previewers' around past the first couple initial days on a lam-patch.

edit: On the specific quote, I could see that one pushing for agile development. That usually cuts the in-house testing down by about a quarter, but it'd mean smaller more frequent updates, not these once a quarter or so massive changes.

Speaking of the chests, I don't understand how you can just chuck something like that in the game, that has never had (from memory) anything like it in the past, and not test it properly?

Dev 1: "Hey, we have these new chests that pop into your inventory when you kill a boss, saves people missing out when the party is split in the new challenge quests. You double click on it in your inventory and it simulates opening a chest, putting the items straight into your inventory, and consumes the chest"
Dev 2: "I wonder what would happen if you double click on it in another zone, where double clicking on an item would have another effect normally"
Dev 1: "Who the fuck cares, we have to have this thing ready by a deadline"

Its like my other 2 biggest pet peeves that keep slipping through, stuff missing from loot tables and typos in descriptions/incorrect descriptions. Not the most dire of issues, but seriously, wouldn't it be standard practice with things like loot tables, damage tables and stuff, to do a shitload of simulated results and making sure your results are within an expected margin? And really, no-one proofreads the shit they type on things? How many times do we need to see "+x to a skill" with a description of "+x to some other skill"

Opinions are like paraplegic circus penguins, no-one likes it when you shove one down their throat.

IP Logged

Cyr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #9 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Maj has done a piss poor job.

I know people fawn over him because he actually bothers to talk to people unlike most of the people at Turbine HQ, but the game's quality is getting worse not better.

Yeah, it is amazing that the morons at Turbine thought that it was a good idea to throw yet another new mechanic into those quests last minute.  Yet it is QA's job to make sure that that junk works and if they don't have time to say no it has to wait.

The entire process over there just has not worked for a long time. Probably since Eladrin got the bump.

IP Logged

Invelios
VoD Slasher

Reply #10 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Cyr wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:12am:

I know people fawn over him because he actually bothers to talk to people unlike most of the people at Turbine HQ, but the game's quality is getting worse not better.

Yeah, it is amazing that the morons at Turbine thought that it was a good idea to throw yet another new mechanic into those quests last minute.  Yet it is QA's job to make sure that that junk works and if they don't have time to say no it has to wait.

The entire process over there just has not worked for a long time. Probably since Eladrin got the bump.

Apparently, you missed the memo, and think that Quality Control can stop the release of money making quest chains and mechanics.

All QA can do is recommend that they not release it, they cannot actually stop it.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #11 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:22am
Print Post  
Cyr wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:12am:

I am pretty sure there isn't anything they could do that you wouldn't find fault with. I think you have gotten pretty close to playing that hand out.

They have made some missteps, sure. Despite that, I see a lot of neat things in the game right now. The streak bonus, especially is nice.

Exploits have happened since the game has started. To be truthful, this one isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. People are just whining like a bunch of bitches. Why would Maj take advice from a bunch of losers that hangout on an internet forums? I am sure it seems like we have a lot going on.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
kmack can drive the tractor.
The Vault donates to charity.
JDollar wrote on Apr 25th, 2013 at 4:47pm:
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #12 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Invelios wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:17am:
Apparently, you missed the memo, and think that Quality Control can stop the release of money making quest chains and mechanics.

All QA can do is recommend that they not release it, they cannot actually stop it.

This is 100% true.  In a previous position I was on the beta team for our software and took part in the bug meetings and the decision making process.  I was representing the support team who end up having to deal with the fallout from bugs.  We had a list of over 200 known issued which we had to rate and argue over whether or not the must be fixed before release.  The marketing and sales folks were the worst to deal with.  The developers often were thrown features that were deemed must have weeks before a release.  It sounds simple on paper but the process is awful.

Nevynn wrote on Nov 18th, 2010 at 11:38pm:
Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

Calvet wrote on Oct 20th, 2011 at 12:18pm:
I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:
Eladiun is an awful person

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #13 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:26am
Print Post  
Also to add.

QA people report to Maj. Maj reports to someone, who reports to someone, who reports to someone, who is responsible for a bottom line for Turbine. You have WB setting expectations for revenues, and WotC giving input on content. I am sure it fairly dynamic and complex. I bet you don't see that kind of complexity at your McDonalds cash register.

Nilazgrc: For all those familiar with loreseekers/sentinels.... Dont run with Stainer.... Guy is a tool. Black list his toons.
Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

popejubal
Completionist (i.t.p.)

fnord

Reply #14 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:28am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:26am:
Also to add.

QA people report to Maj. Maj reports to someone, who reports to someone, who reports to someone, who is responsible for a bottom line for Turbine. You have WB setting expectations for revenues, and WotC giving input on content. I am sure it fairly dynamic and complex. I bet you don't see that kind of complexity at your McDonalds cash register.

Fuck you.  Some of those pictograms are really confusing.

fnord

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #15 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:29am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:28am:

LOL!

That needs to go in the news feed.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Hi Welcome
King of Trolls

Drama chips... now in
Argonnessen Apple flavor!

Reply #16 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 11:34am
Print Post  
popejubal wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:28am:

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Epoch wrote on Mar 14th, 2012 at 5:15am:
When people bring in their personal lives, it is all fair game.  This board promotes trolling.  If you bring something up, expect it to be used against you at a later date if not immediately.  You want to bring up personal shit, well, that is your problem.

Eladiun wrote on May 15th, 2012 at 1:46pm:
If one fails to understand the nuances of elite level trolling they would falsely interpret posts meant to fan the flames as support.

IP Logged

Gawna
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 11:37am
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 10:29am:
LOL!

That needs to go in the news feed.

Done.  And I think I even did it right on the first try!  WOOOO!

IP Logged

Flav
Vault Frog

One Frog to Rule them
All!

Reply #18 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 11:42am
Print Post  

This.

Unless it's obviously and seriously game breaking ( and by that I mean REALLY game breaking, the chest exploit is not game breaking, it's just a nuisance ) QA has no say at all in the matter of releasing a software or not.

At best they can suggest that it would be a Bad Idea. But the Marketing and Sales Drones have the final words. If the Marketing and Sales Drones say it goes live, it will go live, even if it's a piece of shit that crash every 5 minutes. ( been there, done that, got the T-shirt and the scars )

Yes my avatar is an Hermine eating a Greenland Lemming for brunch.

IP Logged

Cyr
Dragon Raider

I Love Drama!

Reply #19 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 11:54am
Print Post  

There is an assumption that QA has zero powers from those who like to excuse the state of the game.  That is not true in any company.  QA always has some sort of levers to pull on.  They are not limited to either a go/no go on an entire module.

No one at WB is saying, OMG we need to get those chests into those challenges right now!  They don't look at things in that type of detail.  They might say, We need to release this product before Thanksgiving since there is lots of competition coming out around that time.  There is plenty of space between releasing something that has been properly vetted and releasing something that has lots of last minute changes put into it.

A head of QA's job is as much about actually finding bugs as getting policies implemented that actually prevent bugs from making it out the door.  In this case a simple no change window on the build unless catastrophic things are wrong would have done the trick.

That is a fairly basic part of most release processes.

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #20 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Cyr wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 11:54am:
No one at WB is saying, OMG we need to get those chests into those challenges right now!  They don't look at things in that type of detail.  They might say, We need to release this product before Thanksgiving since there is lots of competition coming out around that time.  There is plenty of space between releasing something that has been properly vetted and releasing something that has lots of last minute changes put into it.

I think they have pretty much proven they didn't know about the chests.

Mistakes happen.

You are a unhappy person. Would you like my TOR beta pass?

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #21 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 11:56am:
I think they have pretty much proven they didn't know about the chests.

Mistakes happen.

You are a unhappy person. Would you like my TOR beta pass?

Install that on your TRS80 and come fuck around with me this weekend.

Anybody coming to this board expecting anything more sophisticated than a dick joke had better get used to disappointment.

I just got that impression after you spent 13 pages calling out eladiun for being an interwebs bully when anyone who's been posting on here already knew that.  I mean, he's proud of it and hardly tries to hide that at all.

Quote:

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #22 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 12:01pm:
Install that on your TRS80 and come fuck around with me this weekend.

I think I have convinced the War Department that I have been a good boy this year and I should get a new Laptop this Christmas.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Eladiun
Completionist (i.t.p.)

Two Time Loser

Reply #23 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
stainer wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 12:04pm:
I think I have convinced the War Department that I have been a good boy this year and I should get a new Laptop this Christmas.

Did you spend the last three months face down ass up?   Grin

Gratz on the lappy though.

Quote:

IP Logged

stainer
Arkat's Bitch

Gawna's big sexy crony!

Reply #24 - Nov 23rd, 2011 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Eladiun wrote on Nov 23rd, 2011 at 12:07pm:
Gratz on the lappy though

The laptop is nothing compared to the two LDS that Gawna has to give me tonight! I think I will make a fire/fire/fire throwing hammer with them.

Stainer likes tractors

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint